Chapter 21
216 2 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ethan scanned over the scroll once more before handing it over to Lorelle for review. After she took a moment or so to do just that she nodded with a smile and carefully rolled the scroll back up before wrapping a leather strip around its middle and tying it off into a knot. Then, upon remembering something, her smile turned a bit playful as he tapped the scroll lightly against her cheek.

"One other benefit of becoming a member of the guild is that you'll be safe from Cecelia."

"Huh?"

It wasn't just the statement that through him off, considering just yesterday he didn't have to worry about the Cecelia monster, but also the cloud parting, Messenger singing, and Keeper blessing fact that he was safe once again... at least from Cecelia. After the shock subsided he tilted his head similar to a confused puppy.

"But... why?"

Pointing to the tapping scroll with her free hand she answered.

"Because consorting between guild members and staff is prohibited."

She had expected the dubious look that Ethan suddenly took on upon hearing her reasoning. Certainly a simple rule such as that wouldn't act as a deterrent to her seemingly insatiable appetite for, as she put it, cute young boys.

"I can understand your lack of confidence, however, her love for cute little boys is dwarfed by only one other love; the guild. Even if she ignores just about every other law or rule, if it comes from the guild she considers it a covenant that holds her life on the line."

As Lorelle's impassioned explanation came to a close Ethan would have had to admit he felt much better and did in fact believe that Cecelia would behave herself going forward. Without realizing just how stressed the earlier encounter had made him he expelled a loud sigh and felt his entire body relax a good bit.

"Now, I have to go check on the Guild Master, file your paperwork, and help finish the cleanup out front. Did you have any questions about the vouchers or what we spoke about so far before we finish up for today?"

Ethan thought for a moment before suddenly nodding vigorously.

"Yes please! Can I get a map to the bathhouse and inn? I know you said they were both nearby but I would rather be safe." He didn't want to admit he didn't have a good sense of direction, or perhaps a poor sense of distance would be more appropriate.

"Ah! Of course, I'll go get you one while you get your things together. I'll meet you at the front desk."

She stood, that gentle smile still present, and collected her mug and the plate. She filled his mug once more and then left, this time leaving the door open behind her. Though he only had to check the ties on his pack he still took a few moments, both due to drinking more water and to give Lorelle a few minutes to get the directions together. He was about to return the mug to the table when he realized it would be more appropriate to take it with him and give it to her before leaving.

Thus he shouldered his pack, checked over the room, and then stepped out into the hallway through the open door. Even if he did believe Lorelle's comments about Cecelia behaving, he did feel a little uncertain and found himself looking around him. Upon realizing what he was doing he shook his head from side to side quickly, trying to clear his mind and calm himself. He would have to trust Lorelle and believe in the power of the guild.

Coming around the corner he came to a stop, though not out of fear, no, he stopped in surprise at how clean everything looked. He wasn't proud of the earlier chaos but honestly felt a little let down that the mess he had made was no where to be found. He felt it was a rather explosive event that had sent a lot of debris and dust everywhere. Now though, the waiting area looked as spotless as he entered.

"What the?"

His own words brought him back to the present and he stepped forward to look behind the counter. What he saw made him feel a bit better, though the pleasant feelings were soon replaced by guilt, all because he saw the size of the hole still in the wall. Several crafters were making the need preparations to start the needed repairs to close the gaping inanimate wound. He lowered his gaze to the two receptionist who stood watching the crafters, one with a broom in her hands and the other with a piece of parchment. He cleared his throat to let them know he was there and at the same time he placed the mug on the counter.

"Excuse me."

They both turned to look at him, and both of them had smiles on their faces, though one was definitely more predatory than the other. In fact Ethan's fears were proved correct as Cecelia immediately tossed the broom away and began to make her way toward the exit that would lead her from behind the counter and to the object of her desires. Lorelle even stood there in silence, watching her walk behind her and toward the exit. What was she doing?!

"His application is in process Cecelia." Lorelle said, not even needing to remind Cecelia about the Guild Master's terms that he considered applicants pending members and as such, were off limits.

Ethan's heart, which was about to rip itself out of his chest and run off into the hillside came to a full stop and clung to its home within his ribcage. She stopped! The beast was no longer unleash! What sweet bliss and freedom was this?!

The boy watched as the words were processed and then excepted by Cecelia, apparent due to her sudden stiffening followed by a severe slumping of her shoulders. He couldn't see due to the counter but he wondered if her shoulders were dipping that much if her fingers were brushing against the floor. What caught him off guard though, was the teary eyed, lip quivering, and pouting face that was turned his way, one step away from ugly crying all because she couldn't "attack" him.

"Ack!"

That look was almost as bad as her acts of defilement when she had him in her clutches. Dejectedly sniffing she turned and slowly made her way back to the broom she earlier tossed and began to worthlessly slide it back and forth along the floor.

"Ah.... I think she broke." Lorelle said with an oddly satisfied smile before turning back to Ethan and handing him the map across the counter.

"Thank you for bringing the mug up, that was very thoughtful. Here is your map. If you get lost just yell for Cecelia to help you, I'm sure she'll come running."

Ethan had been looking down at the map when he heard Lorelle's words and when his gaze shot up in shock he spied the playful grin on the pointed ear beauty's face.

Gulp.

She was evil too! They were all evil! Silently nodding he spun in place and quickly made his way out the front door and into the light of late afternoon.

10