Chapter 27
144 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Despite using the topic of the boy as an escape he grew silent after completing his sentence. The stoic expression that took over his features told the two women that he was now thinking seriously on the topic. After nearly a minute of silence he pushed himself from his chair and moved to the large set of three tall windows along the wall behind his desk. After considering his words carefully, and almost waiting too long for the two women to control their curiosity, he finally spoke while watching a few adventurers training in the courtyard below.

“He’s a beast...”

His tone was normal but his words held a sense of finality that unsettled Cecelia and Lorelle enough that they crossed their arms over their stomach in order to hug themselves. It was finally Cecelia who replied.

“Certainly not that cute boy, he was so nice.”

“He was so well beha....” Lorelle began to add her own thoughts before the slow shaking of Owen’s head silenced her.

“I don’t mean he is sinister...” After inhaling deeply he turned to look at them both and silently motioned toward the door.

“Lorelle, if you please.”

Despite the vagueness of his statement the young lady immediately understood the intention of his request. With a silent nod she turned and swiftly made her way to the office door before quickly opening it. Leaning out she looked down either side of the hallway to ensure it was empty before closing the door behind her and returning to her earlier position.

“Thank you. What I’m about to say must not be repeated. I won’t instruct that it can never be said but for now the possible consequences far outweigh the benefits.”

He moved to return to his seat and leaned forward to rest his chin against interlaced fingers, the weight of his head and conscience resting on elbows now braced atop his large desk of wood and stone. Looking up at the two he finally continued.

“The only reason I won the exam battle was because of his age.”

He quickly held a single hand to face his palm toward them, realizing their matching gasps would lead to questions if he didn’t head them off.

“I don’t mean technique either. I mean physical strength. If he was older, and his body more mature, he would have been able to overpower me regardless of the difference in our combat experience.”

He paused and lowered his gaze to the surface of his desk, the weight of his own words crashing down against his shoulders even more than before now that he had voiced them. Trying to calm his nerves he forced another deep breath through his lungs before continuing.

“I have never seen or felt such a reservoir of Nel’ Ina directed at me before today... ever. His creativity not withstanding, he is only going to get stronger. While I’m sure he will eventually come against a limit to his Nel’ Ina, it won’t be for a very long time. In the next five years, at most, he probably won’t even fit inside our existing measurements, let alone our understanding, for the powers of our adventurers.”

The severity of his words not only rendered the two ladies silent, but it kept them that way for several minutes. They even exchanged wordless glances a couple of times while they both tried to process the enormity of the Guild Master’s words.

“You both have mentioned his humble demeanor and his manners, both of which I’m sure are the result of my sister’s influence. However, I shutter to think what he could have become, and could still become actually, if things had been different for him up until now. He could end up as a world ending calamity or akin to a Prime Messenger of old.”

The words that left his mouth next were so hard for him to say he had to close his eyes so he didn’t see the reaction of the two ladies in front of him. He knew his statement wouldn’t be received well, not because the content, but because of the seriousness of the situation that spawned them.

“The only reason that boy is still drawing breath is the fact that my sister raised him to be the boy he seems to be. Otherwise I would have been forced to place a bounty on him during the exam to ensure the safety of this town, if not all of Nelumexa.”

Despite their differing personalities both young ladies seemed to pick up on Owen’s uncertainty about his decision to let the boy live. As such Cecelia began to speak with Lorelle finishing the sentence she started.

“Do you think your sister knew....” “And that is why she sent him?”

The Guild Master’s annoyed grunt that followed their question was a clear answer that he thought she had.

“Without a doubt, though what her intentions are I’m not sure.... Despite her less than savory antics, she does truly care for those orphans. She wouldn’t have given up what she did if she didn’t. So knowing that she wouldn’t have sent Ethan to us to be executed.”

“Even if she couldn’t?” It was Cecelia who managed to bring herself to ask the question first.

Owen shook his head before answering, “She could, physically, if she needed to. She also wouldn’t push such a terrible act, involving one of her charges, onto someone else. She tries to hide it, but her sense of responsibility wouldn’t allow it.”

There was suddenly a loud thump as Owen unlaced his fingers and allowed his face to fall against the desk below. The rather childish act, totally out of place for such a deep and disturbing conversation, quickly lessened to mood to a significant degree. The young ladies smiled despite themselves, grateful at the sudden lifting, if even somewhat, of the heavy air in the room.

“If I would have to guess, her intentions were to expose him to the world and allow him to naturally grow into a man. My other assumption is that she wants him to attend the new school in Eintrel for those with the power of Nel’ Ina.”

He realized his words were muffled halfway through his first statement so to ensure they heard him clearly he let his head fall to the side so that his cheek and ear rested against the cool surface of his desk.

“Curse that woman...” he mumbled to himself for a second time in less than a half hour.

6