6 – The Starlight’s Drop
36 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Hey! This is a friendly reminder that smiling is great for you! Even if you don't feel happy right now, smiling can trick your body into thinking it is, making you actually want to smile! Isn't that wonderful?

Kiro snapped his blades together, clipping off another handful of tough red stalk and setting it to the side. It had been another long day of harvesting, but for once, the sparkleaf in his mouth was adding to his existing energy, not compensating for it.

He stood, placing the fallen crop into a pile of similarly cut grain. He had finally gotten a good night’s sleep, which meant he had enough energy to look forwards to what was happening next...

“Ah, little alchemist! I heard that you've gotten into some trouble! Do I need to personally discipline you?” An old man chuckled from behind him, placing a hand on his shoulder.

Kiro’s mouth twitched, and he turned, bowing before Supervisor Meng. “No, honored Torch. I'd say that if you did that, my sister might need to personally discipline you.”

After losing his job as gardener of the Tang family, Meng had retired to the position of supervisor, where he now spent most of his days. He had helped Kiro when he had first started harvesting, and in many ways was more of a parental figure than Hong Tang Leila had ever been.

The supervisor guffawed, his long white beard shaking with the movement. "Ah, give her my thanks when you meet her again, will you? I've never liked Ba Shou, and after hearing about what she had been about to do to you, my only regret is that she has not been disgraced further."

Kiro smiled. “I'll tell her, supervisor. Now, though, I believe that I must deliver these to Supervisor Ping."

"Of course, of course. I wouldn't want you being considered tardy, would I?" Meng smirked, helping him gather the pile into his arms.

“I wouldn’t dare, honored Torch. Though…” Kiro casually bent down to pick up his harvesting scissors. "That would mean we’d have to wait another half hour until I can show you my breakthrough in alchemy."

The old man's eyes went wide, and he clapped Kiro on the back, insistently tugging him away from the rest of the Suns. "Alright, no time for this final delivery! I’ll talk to Ping myself — for now, I must see your new concoction!”

* * *

Lotus. Dayspore. Frostfrond. The ingredients went in one by one, perfectly timed and prepared based on Kiro’s notes. A flash of blue sparks showered from the top, and he held it away from him, still frantically swirling. Stable.

Finally, he stirred in the catalyst, holding the solution up for Supervisor Meng to see. He was almost certain that this was the most potent version yet — real, properly maintained alchemy equipment streamlined the process, taking out any unnecessary variables in order to create as pure of a concoction as possible.

That should have been it. Flecks of blue and red battled within the concoction, and as the crystal integrated with them...

The elixir flooded the supervisor’s living room with white light, radiating a sense of warmth and peace. Kiro grinned, and as he regained his sight, he could see that Supervisor Meng was also smiling.

"Kiro, this is incredible. When you first came to me with this idea, I have to admit I had my doubts. However, even I, who have only the barest control over mana, can sense the change in the solution."

Kiro stoppered the elixir, placing it to the side and grabbing his notes. "Yes! I had Seira test it yesterday, and she said that it works brilliantly. However, there seems to be an unanticipated side-effect of using powdered crystal — it's far weaker than a normal elixir."

He spread the papers out along the surface of the table, letting the supervisor see his calculations.

"When I use less than this much, the reaction doesn't happen all the way through, and the unchanged fire mana consumes the part that does react. When I use more, though, the reaction grows violent."

The old man stroked his beard, thinking. "Hmm… may I see that vial?"

Kiro gently handed it to him, going back to his notes. "This may be a bit more potent than the previous versions, but I doubt it'll be enough to make a difference. Without a cultivation technique, it could take thousands just to get me to the First Purification."

Supervisor Meng unstoppered the solution, sniffing it curiously. "I see. May I?"

Kiro nodded.

The Torch brought the elixir to his lips, downing it in a single gulp. "Ahh, yes. I forget how inefficiently the body cultivates without proper channels. In order to bring the costs down to a manageable level, you'd need an elixir nearly ten times as potent."

Kiro sighed. He had gotten his hopes up once again, and nothing had come out of it. At best, he'd be able to force himself into advancement in old age, but without a proper cultivation technique, barely anything would come of it. But even master alchemists couldn't alter the effects of their concoctions by such a wide margin, much less —

"Or… you could simply make ten times the money." Supervisor Meng smirked at him, eyes twinkling with humor.

Kiro stared at him. “By selling it?”

“Indeed.”

"But how could I? I’m just a Sun, and nobody would want something less potent than an existing product.”

The supervisor nodded, patting Kiro's shoulder. "Ah, but while people wouldn’t trust the alchemy of a Sun, they wouldn't necessarily shy away from purchasing from a Torch."

"But, honored supervisor, what if your reputation —"

The Torch chuckled, gesturing to the emptied vial. "Kiro, I am more than confident enough in your alchemy to be selling your products. I'm actually surprised that you haven't asked me sooner.”

“B-but I don’t even have mana sense! I’m just an apprentice, and even that isn’t official. And once again, there’s no reason for anyone to buy this elixir.”

“Kiro, that’s where you’re wrong. Cultivation, no matter how much mana is around you, takes effort and willpower. And especially considering how unique this elixir is, I'm willing to bet that the Warriors will be swarming to throw money at their cultivation problems.”

Seeing that Kiro was still skeptical, Meng went on. “Son, I’ve taught you everything I know, and you picked it up faster than any spoiled noble’s child could have. You’ve mastered what normally takes alchemists dozens of years to comprehend in just under nine, and now you've finally made a step in your own direction. That, more than any formal document or cultivation level, tells me that you are no longer my apprentice, but rather a full-fledged alchemist. And I would be happy to sell the goods of a fellow alchemist…"

A malicious grin crossed the supervisor's face, and he let out a goofy cackle. "For the low price of ninety-nine percent of your earnings!"

Kiro snorted. "And I thought that Supervisor Ba was trying to rob me!"

Supervisor Meng doubled down in laughter, clutching his side. "My young disciple! I have truly taught you well in not just alchemy!"

The Torch turned back to the parchment scattered on the table, exhaling dramatically. "However, Tang Kiro, we have a far more important matter to address."

He looked up, confused. "Supervisor?"

"This is your first wholly original concoction, is it not?"

He nodded.

"Well, every great elixir needs a fitting name. What will this one’s be? The Divine Heavenly Draught of Still Waters? The Masterful Elixir of Seven Skies and Elemental Balance? The Holy Tears of a Fallen Saint?"

Kiro frowned. "I don't want something long and complicated. Just like the elixir, it should be calm and simple."

He held up the empty vial, letting the sun’s rays glint off of the remaining liquid.

"How about... the Starlight's Drop."

4