CHAPTER 2: 3% CHANCE (rev)
631 1 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

He just never thought that he would be married at the age of 21, and to a man at that.

Marriage never entered his mind when he arrived at U country.

His only purpose was to work and to earn money so that his aging father could finally live a life of comfort.

His father, bless him, liked to be self-reliant. Gilberto didn’t like being treated as a charity case. What they had; he would maintain. Whatever they needed; he would work for.

Miguel dreamed to be an architect or an interior designer. He was inspired by his father, who despite not being able to finish high school, was a capable construction worker. Gilberto was often sought by DIY-ers for his insight. He was a diligent worker and a creative carpenter.

But Miguel wasn’t able to study the course that he wanted opting to take whatever was marketable abroad. His father was already 60. He deserved to spend his life in retirement.

With the suggestion of his older peers, he took a caregiver course. He tried to gain as much experience as he could. A year later, he was off to a different country.

His application was approved in U country. His main job was to assist the teacher by helping the kids with their activities. The institution was built for special needs children in primary school.

It was very difficult when he first arrived in U country. Everything was foreign to him. No amount of reading or watching video was enough to prepare him for the culture in U country. There were a lot of things that were left unsaid that he could only understand when he was already there.

It was a blessing that his employer, a child psychologist, was very patient with him as he adjusted at the new environment. They let him sleep in one of the rooms in their house until he was able to look for a cheap place to stay.

He was able to get an open plan bachelor’s flat, 40 square meters, for a reasonable price. It almost looked like a student’s dorm but it was alright for Miguel’s needs.

The location was good and he could take a 5-minute bus ride or a 20-minute walk to get to the school. It was also close to other shops and stores. During his first day of work he walked to the school because he didn’t know how to ride the public transport.

Miguel didn’t have a good sense of direction, but he was able to reach his work with a few minutes to spare. Later on, he learned the time for the bus schedule. But most days he preferred to walk. When he walked, he could think. By the time he reached his destination, his mind would be calm and he would feel more at ease to tackle the day’s challenge.

Upon entering his flat one could see the adjoined kitchen and living room area, there was a mini fridge and a washing machine provided by the landlord. Behind the door was a small bathroom with the basic shower and toilet. The bed was placed near the sliding window which opened to a small balcony. There was a cabinet too and some shelves for storage. It was small and bare but he was not never a picky person. He liked it just right.

It was six months into his stay that he got truly comfortable with his job. In the first few months he was focused with learning and avoiding mistakes. But there were times when things got out of control. It was upsetting but with supportive workmates and management, he was able to cope with the stress.

The kids were beautiful and sweet. They may have their moments but they were good kids. He would massage them to calm them down when they get fussy or when they break down and it seemed to work.

Miguel had training and was certified as a massage therapist in his home country but he just didn’t know if they would honor it. One time a workmate of his complained of fatigue so he offered to massage her for a few minutes. She was very thankful to feel some relief even for just a few minutes. She said she would recommend him to her friend, who owned a spa.

Eight months from his first arrival he was able to send more money to his father. Miguel felt happy. His father did not need to work anymore. He could afford to pay for all their expenses.

But fate seemed to work against Miguel and his family again.

During a video call to his father he noticed an unusual weight loss. The clothes that usually fit Gilberto before now hang loosely from his body. His face looked thinner than the last few months that Miguel saw him. He urged his father to go to the hospital for a check-up but the old man refused saying that losing weight was just part of growing old. People lost their muscles as they get older. It was a natural process of aging.

Miguel had to let it go and trust his old man’s words.

A few days later his best friend, Marian, messaged him on his sns saying his father was sent to the hospital after collapsing during work. To say he was worried was an understatement. He cried so hard that day and his boss at the spa urged him to go home instead.

The regional government hospital was unable to come up with the exact diagnosis so they referred his father to a bigger private hospital in the metropolitan area.

Miguel sent all the money that he had saved for the hospital bills and his father’s expenses. A few weeks later they finally came up with the diagnosis.

Pancreatic cancer, Stage 3. The cancer cells had already spread outside the pancreas, into his blood vessels and lymph nodes. The prognosis was poor. The old man could live up to 5 years but there’s only 3% chance for that to happen.

There was no cure. His father would need regular doses of treatment to minimize the cancerous cells.

Miguel was backed into a corner and he didn’t know what to do.

For days he was torn between going home and staying. Should he go back and spend the last remaining years with his father? or should he endure the grief and stay to raise funds for his father’s treatment?

In the end he chose the latter. He refused to give up.

If there was 3% chance then it was enough to give him hope.

4 to 5 million.

He just needed 4 to 5 million and his father would survive a full cycle of treatment.

He would keep on raising 4 to 5 million annually if that was what it took for his father to live another year.

He worked longer hours hoping that the overtime pay would help.

Ten months after Miguel arrived at U country, he was working on his third job at an interior design company.

 

18