Chapter 11: New Life
29 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Congratulations! I knew you were smart just like me.”

 

Jared grinned.

 

“Really?” Daniel raised an elegant brow.

 

Daniel Phillip. That was his full name. He was Jared’s long-time friend. He was a handsome Korean-American businessman.  The man had perfect features, a tall nose, sword like thick brows, brown eyes, and a pink full lip. He had a perfectly sculpted jaws, chiseled to perfection. He was tall and had broad shoulders.

 

Daniel was very kind. He would shower Jamie with gifts even without an occasion.

 

Today Jamie graduated with honors. He felt proud.

 

The people around him felt proud and happy too.

 

It was nice being surrounded by family even if it wasn’t his own.

 

“Let’s go.” Daniel said.

 

The all went to the restaurant that Jared and Elisa co-owned. They decided to close the restaurant. They celebrated Jamie’s graduation there together with their friends and employees.

 

Over the months that passed by, Jamie became better.

 

He still had a sensitive nose. He still stumbled and fell after a few meters. He still used a wheelchair. He still spoke broken sentences.

 

But he had gradually accepted their touch.

 

Elisa could now hug him. Jared could ruffle his hair.

 

He stopped staring into space. He was immersed with art. He had a complete set of art materials, courtesy of Uncle Daniel. That was what the man requested as thank you.

 

He had nice new room to work on his projects. It was his sanctuary of sorts.

 

Uncle Daniel asked him if he wanted to sell some of his paintings. He said they would definitely sell very well. Jamie agreed. He also wanted to earn money to help his mom with the bills.

 

Jamie and Elisa lived alone now.

 

Elisa finally took the courage to ask for divorce.

 

She was so done with Rick. With the way he spoke and acted, there was no more hope for him in Elisa’s heart. She had given him time, forgave him with every short comings and mistakes. But she could no longer tolerate the abuse on her son.

 

Enough was enough.

 

Her heart still ached. They had spent many years together, supported each other.

 

Rick left to who knows where. Elisa no longer cared.

 

What mattered most was her darling son. She was so proud of him.

 

“Which college do you want to go honey?” She asked him when they returned home in the evening.

 

“Dunnow.”

 

Jamie honestly did not know. He was new to the town and he was not yet used to it. He was nervous being outside but he felt the thrill of a new discovery. He liked it when Jared took him to places lately. Uncle Daniel would also occasionally bring them all out when he stopped by their city.

 

“Well what do you want to study?”

 

Jared sat on the sofa as he drank his chocolate drink. It was a recipe he was trying to perfect before introducing it to the restaurant.

 

“Art.”

 

Jamie knew that was where he was good at.

 

Elisa frowned.

 

In terms of art, the college in their town was mediocre at best.

If she wanted what was best for her son, the best choice would be to go to the city at the next region. But she does not want to part with him. She was worried that no one would take care of his needs.

 

Jared quietly observed his older sister.

 

She had aged over the years. The grays on her hair and few wrinkles on her face showed how stressed she had become.

 

Once the boy had gone to sleep, Jared spoke what was on his mind.

 

“You are worried.”

 

“I am.”

 

“Maybe it is time to branch out.” Jared suggested.

 

“What do you mean?” Elisa blinked.

 

“Well our restaurant is doing well and profits had been increasing. I wanted to open a new restaurant. I already made plans for it actually. Daniel also thinks the business proposal was profitable.”

 

Before his sister could change his mind, he went to his car and pulled a folder from his secret compartment. He gave the proposal to his sister and started explaining the plan.

 

Elisa could not help but be convinced.

 

“I will watch over him well when we are there. You could also visit us.”

 

Elisa looked at this young adult in front of her.

 

“You were just in diapers when I raised you. But look at you now. You have grown tall and dependable. Alright I agree.”

 

Jared grinned.

 

The following day he called Daniel. His friend had connections in that province. They worked out details of their new apartment. It had to be near the university where Jamie would study.

 

The weeks went by and it was time to leave their town.

 

“Bye Ma.” Jamie’s face flushed pink.

 

“Bye baby. Come visit mommy when you get a semester break. Call me when you get there.”

 

“’Kay. Take care.”

 

Jared placed the last of their luggage in the trunk. He started the engine when his nephew entered the car.

 

“Are you ready for a new adventure?” Jared smiled.

 

“Yes!” Jamie grinned.

6