Chapter 14: Familiar figure
27 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

People will remain as strangers until you let them in your heart.

 

Jamie wrote the last of his entry on the notebook. It was like a journal and a diary of sorts with a few drawings here and there. He had started making one when they returned home from the hospital.

 

In it the notebook described faithfully what happened in his life, from the moment he regained consciousness until the events that happened a few moments ago.

 

His eyes were getting dry so he placed the notebook inside a box and locked it, keeping the key inside a small keychain stuffed toy.

 

Jamie turned off the light and fell into asleep a few minutes later.

 

Jamie found himself floating in a void. It was pitch black. He tried to move around, but it seemed like he was going circles, unable to leave the dark place.

 

Just as he was about to give up, he saw a faint light.

 

He followed it only to be surprised by something.

 

With the faint light, he was able to see the figure clearly.

 

The boy was curled up in a fetal position. His eyes were closed. But the beautiful features could not be concealed by the darkness. The boy had a soft brown hair, straight eyebrows, a small upturned nose, with full pink lips all packaged in a cute little face.

 

Jamie floated around the boy. At the third turn, Jamie finally remembered something. This was the boy he found underwater before. Jamie rubbed the goosebumps on his nonexistent arms. He did not like the feeling of being in the dark underwater.

 

Jamie peered at the boy’s skin. It was clear now. Devoid of the patches of purples, greens and grays. It looked milky like the whites of a hardboiled egg.

 

“Hey.” He tried to call the attention of they boy but it seemed like there was a vacuum sucking the sound of his voice.

 

He floated in front of the boy to try again. Just as he was about to speak, he was blinded by a bright light.

 

Jamie opened his bleary eyes. The bright summer sunlight filled the room. He rubbed the crust off his eyes and tried to recall his dream but failed to recall anything. It was as if he did not dream but in his subconscious mind, he could feel the remnants of the feelings of fear and curiosity.

 

Jamie showered and changed to his formal wear. He had to dress well for the opening of the new restaurant. He was quite excited. When he exited the room and reached the dining room, he heard sounds of astonishment.

 

“Aww my baby looks so handsome!”

 

Elisa placed a hand over her heart. She came over yesterday to attend the opening.

 

“You look great boy!” Jared exclaimed.

 

Jamie flushed scarlet at the unexpected praise.

 

“Let me put that bow tie on you.”

 

Elisa came over and took the black ribbon that was held by the boy. With careful and meticulous hands, the bowtie was now fitted snuggly around the boy’s neck. She stepped back and observed her work.

 

“There you go. You look even more handsome my sweet.”

 

Jared handed the boy a black umbrella with a wooden handle.

 

“You look just like a Kingsman.” Jared grinned.

 

“Let’s go.”

 

Jared led them outside. The three of them made their way to the restaurant.

 

Daniel was already there, waiting for them.

 

It took them four months to open the business. By that time, Jamie was almost done with the first semester of his first year.

 

Daniel’s assistant took photos of them cutting the ribbon. There was a small ceremony where the priest blessed all the rooms of the restaurant. After that they all had a hearty meal.

 

Jamie was on his way to the buffet table when he saw a familiar looking person across the street through the glass window.

 

A truck blocked his sight. When it passed by so did the person.

 

“What’s wrong Jamie? You’ve been standing there for a few minutes now. Do your legs hurt?”

 

Elisa approached her son.

 

“I okay Ma. Let go eat.” Jamie smiled.

 

The mother and son enjoyed the food on their plates as they conversed with guests, family and friends.

 

In an alley, an unkempt man rummaged through the dumpster. When he found a half-eaten hotdog sandwich that looked fine, he quickly placed it on his mouth.  

6