Chapter 15: Lies
33 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Life is not easy. But we must have hope and persevere because life is a cycle. In it we do not remain stuck, unmoving. The world will not allow us to do so.

 

Jared folded his arms over his chest. His muscles looked bigger as they bunched up. One of his thick dark eyebrows was raised.

 

“Let me process this for a bit.”

 

Jared rubbed his forehead.

 

 “You’ve got a project and you are going to stay outside late for a week?”

 

“Not outside. House with friends. I be back home for sleep.”

 

Jamie leaned on the dining table and rested his head on his hand.

 

“I have to meet with those friends first then I will make a decision.”

 

“’kay. I tell them. School now?”

 

Jamie stood up and picked his bag on sofa.

 

Jared walked to picked his car keys and followed his nephew outside. After dropping the boy at the school entrance, Jared drove to the restaurant.

 

Jamie hitched the bag higher on his shoulder. He now had a dilemma. With unhurried steps, he walked to the classroom with his trusty black umbrella. He had two people to convince.

 

“What you want us to lie to your uncle?” Daphne exclaimed.

 

“Not lie. It true. We got project.”

 

“But it is an individual project.” Janine interjected.

 

“Say you helping me?”

 

Daphne hummed.

 

“Before I agree, you have to tell us what you are going to do though.”

 

Jamie looked at Daphne’s concerned face. He had shared to them a bit of his life, like the constant pain on his leg after they had helped him from a terrible fall. They were very understanding and sympathetic. He could feel the genuine sincerity in their voice. Thus, he also revealed to them the cause of his speech impediment. He only told them that it was caused by an accident but he did not elaborate on it.  

 

“Need find someone.” Jamie spoke softly.

 

Janine could not resist his cute face and so she acquiesced.

 

“Alright. But you have to call us and tell us where you are alright? We need to have the same answer when your uncle asks us.”

 

“Just don’t do something dangerous.” Daphne said.

 

“Will do. Thanks!”

 

Jamie could not assure them. Roaming outside at night in the city could not be called safe. But he had to.

 

Jared waited at the parking area. He saw two girls beside his nephew, one was tall while the other was plump.

 

“Good afternoon, ladies. I am Jamie’s uncle.”

 

“Good afternoon Mr. Andreas.”

 

“Jamie told me about your project.”

 

“Ah yes, Mr. Andreas. The task is quite difficult and we decided to help each other.” Janine spoke seeing as Daphne’s eyes were looking at the ground.

 

“Alright. I will pick up Jamie from your house. Here is my number.” Jared handed them his business card. He also took the girl’s contact numbers just in case.

 

“Are you going there now? Or –“

 

“Go now.” Jamie spoke. The sooner he finds the person, the better.

 

“Alright then. Call me later Jamie.”

 

“Will do. See ‘ya.” Jamie pushed the two girls to their car.

 

Jared watched the three kids leave.

 

He was a bit apprehensive about letting his nephew outside in a new city. But he knew that he had to let his nephew grow his social skills. The last thing he wanted was for his nephew to clam up and return to his quiet reserved state. It’s not that there was something wrong about it. He just wanted his nephew to be happy and have friends like everybody else.

 

That night, Jamie roamed around the streets, clutching his jacket tight to his body. He checked the homeless shelters. He looked around the alleys, and peered through boxes.

 

But he was unsuccessful.

7