Chapter 24: YOU WERE LUCKY
24 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Rick woke up cold and aching. He looked around and found a familiar paper bag beside him. He mentally thanked his angel for his daily provision. Inside the bag, there was a bottle of water, a food container, and an orange. When he opened the container, he saw a large slice of lasagna. It had already gone cold but it still tasted heavenly. He ate the food with gusto then tidied up.

 

He rolled his sleeping bag and placed the cardboard back to where he hid it. His makeshift mattress needed to be replaced. It was already worn out. It wouldn’t be enough to protect him from the cold ground. Fall was approaching and soon it will be winter.

 

It was time to move again. Staying in one place meant running into trouble. He couldn’t stay under the bridge during day time. He already had a run in with a patrol officer who gave him a ticket when he was found sleeping in a public park. He was lucky he had a few bills and coins which he collected after begging on the streets. But even this, he had to do in secret. He did not want to add more fines by breaking another law. 

 

Day in and out he was filled with loathing. He hated how the policies set by the officials were literally making it hard for homeless people to survive. Even cardboards and newspapers were not allowed apparently. The crack down on the tent city forced him to move and look for another place to stay.

 

He hated the stares that he got from the “privileged” people while remembering that he was once considered privileged too. He hated how it felt unsafe anywhere he went. He was tired of being vigilant of his surroundings. He was tired of going from place to place because his presence was bothering other people. He was tired of being unable to get a proper sleep each night. He was tired of being tired. He was tired of survival.

 

That day, he roamed around the city collecting scraps to recycle while looking for food in the bins. He found a half-eaten sandwich in a bin but refrained from reaching for it when he saw a patrol car in his peripheral vision. 

 

Disgruntled, he walked away.

 

The day went on with him being unable to eat. He had to make money somehow. After selling the scraps, he sat down on a busy street. It was time for office workers to get off of their workplaces. He propped up his little sign board and waited for alms.  

 

Many people ignored him. They rushed to their destination. The people passing by became a blur while the pangs of hunger became more painful as the time passed. He endured the pain while he sat on the cold hard cement.

 

Evening came and he had to move again. The thugs that claimed the streets were ruthless. They didn’t care if you were homeless, a woman, or an old man. They will assault you for no reason and they will not show any remorse for it.  

 

The pangs of hunger stabbed Rick’s stomach when he attempted to stand up. He almost doubled in pain but he tried to hold it in. Body hunched down, he walked slowly towards the direction of the bridge. His teeth gritted in pain for every step that he took. Even breathing became painful. Cold sweat formed on his brows. After reaching another block, he could not take the dizzying pain anymore. He stopped walking. Eventually, he fell on the ground.

 

The cars passed by and the people continued to walk late into the night. No one bothered to check on the unkempt man that was passed out on the street.

 

It was better to let the authorities handle the homeless man. Who knew if the homeless man was crazy or a violent person? He could be pretending to be passed out so that he could rob someone off of their money. It was better to stay away from homeless people. They do not look pleasant. They smelled bad. They were crazy.

 

But among the sea of people that passed by, there was one of them that approached the man who was passed out. A faint thump could be heard whenever the young man made a step. He tried to rouse the unconscious man but there was no response. The concerned young man tried to lift the unconscious person but he was unsuccessful. They fell back to the ground. Fortunately, another bystander offered to help.

 

The next moment Rick woke up, he knew he was in the hospital. There was no mistaking the white walls and the faint scent of bleach.

 

“Oh. Hi! You are awake.” A female nurse entered the room. She carried with her some medical instruments. “How do you feel?”

 

Rick was still in pain but he told her that he was fine. In his mind, he already started to plan an escape. There was no way that he could afford to pay for medical expenses.

 

“You were lucky you were brought here when you passed out.” She measured his vitals and recorded them on her chart.

 

“Your blood pressure is normal. I’m going to come back later to change your IV. Click on the button if you need some help. Your attending physician will check on you later on.” The nurse left mumbling how kind the boy was for bringing Rick to the hospital.

 

Rick lay on the bed puzzled but still thankful to whomever brought him to the hospital. Still he decided that as soon as the pain faded away, he would have to leave. For the meantime, he would try to sleep to get his mind off of the pain.

 

 

Daniel drove Jared to the hospital after getting a report from Trygvason about Jamie’s whereabouts. Jared was so worried when his nephew did not return in the morning.

 

Eric Trygvason was standing outside the door when they arrived. He was part of Daniel’s team of minders who was reassigned to watch over Jamie and to find out what Jamie had been up to.

 

While Daniel and Trygvason spoke in the hallway, Jared went straight on opened the room. He found his nephew sitting on a chair beside an unconscious man.

 

“I appreciate your help, Tryg.” Daniel told Trygvason to take the day off.

 

“Don’t mention it.”  Eric was about to say good bye when he heard a disturbance from the room. He and Daniel quickly rushed into the room.

 

Rick was roused from sleep when he heard the door open noisily. Immediately, he opened his eyes. A quick glance in the room caused his face to be filled with scorn.

 

“What are you faggots doing here?” He spat. He sat up and was prepared to stand only to be touched on the arm by Jamie. Disgusted, he pushed the hand away causing Jamie to fall.

 

Enraged by what he saw, Jared held Rick’s hospital gown and threw him against the wall. “Son of a bitch!”

 

Things fell to the floor.

 

“Are you hurt?” Trygvason pulled Jamie up.

 

“I be okay.” Jamie hurt his elbow and hips but he hid is pain away.

 

“Love, calm down.” Daniel held Jared back.

 

Jared was still boiling in anger. His hands were clenched in a tight fist ready to fight. His eyes were filled with red.

 

“He is not worth our time.” Daniel rubbed Jared’s tense arms.

 

After another tense moment, Jared eventually calmed down. He looked behind his shoulders. “Let’s go home Jamie.”

 

“But-“

 

“I’ll take care of this.” Daniel assured Jamie. “Go home with your uncle for now.”

 

Daniel and Trygvason exchanged a meaningful glance.

 

Jared left the hospital with his nephew. Trygvason trailed behind them in his own car.

 

When the uncle and nephew reached the apartment, Trygvason returned to the hospital. A manila envelope laid on the passenger seat.

 

Jared checked on his nephew once again. He found a bruise on Jared’s elbow. He applied a cream to prevent swelling.

 

“Put this on other places that still hurt.” Jared handed the tube to Jamie.

 

The living room became quiet. Neither of them was ready to address the elephant in the room.

 

“Rest for now. I’m going to make something for you to eat.” Jared stood up from his seat and went to the kitchen.

 

Jamie went to his room to freshen up. He reapplied the anti-inflammatory cream to his elbow, hips, and knees once he was done changing his clothes. He crawled to the bed and laid on his back. The ceiling faded into darkness.

 

A small ball of light floated around. It moved here and there illuminating a small figure in the dark.

2