Chapter Four: Release
187 5 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Seungwoo fiddled his fingers as he stood inside his office. He had a little clicking fidget toy that he often used to reduce stress, but that didn't help him calm his nerves. Moving all of his belongings was the easy part. He had talked it out with Woo-jin over the past several days, and they had come to an agreement. He would stay in one of the large streamer rooms usually reserved for their partnered content creators. It contained a large bed and amenities along with anything he could need to prepare for long gaming sessions.

His talks with his static were fruitful over the past day. Their composition was simple. He was put on a ranged Archer class, while Woo-jin and Zhang Wei focused on DPS and Frontline. They decided to run a two bruiser composition, with Woo-jin going a Fighter class whilst Zhang Wei decided to specialize in a Lancer class. Si Long was a Summoner, which was half support, half enhancement class.

Was he excited? 

Yes.

Was he nervous?

Even more so.

He checked his watch, time and time again. The minutes ticked down, but time seemed to slow as it got closer to the launch time. It was a Saturday morning, at 7:52 AM. He had his computer open, with his NeuralDive helmet tucked safely on its placeholder. He reminded himself to charge it the night before, so the little green light that was flashing was a good sign.

Aaron: Everyone ready?

Yoona: Launch starts in eight minutes.

Kuro: Ready.

Zhang: Of course, always ready.

Woo-jin: 😝

Si-Long: 👍

Their Avalon guild chat was going wild. He readily checked his phone, and the messages were being spammed nonstop. They had separated their own eight-man raid group into a different chat, but the main chat consisting of all fifty members was flaring with hundreds of messages. It was a downpour of boxes.

Seungwoo: I'm ready.

He typed.

Throwing his phone on his bed, he started putting on his NeuralDive helmet. His computer had the game startup on his screen, ready to run with all the pre-downloading taken care of. It used a NetApp, and he pressed the play button. The game started to boot up, so he sat comfortably back into his chair. It would only take a few seconds for his mind to be transferred into the game, so he had to relax the muscles. A small whirring sound could be heard from his helmet, and then his vision went dark.

He blinked repeatedly, catching his eyes on the light.

He was in a bright meadow, but it was a meadow that had a circular barrier around him. As he tried to leave it, he would get blocked by an invisible wall. The character selection screen, he bet. An AI popped up next to him in the form of a small fairy, and a notification board popped up as well before his eyesight.

Would you like to start the Tutorial?
Yes No

The answer was simple. He clicked yes.

The fairy spun around and revealed a mountain of text.
 
"Welcome to Perfect World Online!" She replied, "The servers will be up in five minutes, which will give you enough time to ask me any questions about the game. You are also welcome to ask for some in-game inputs if you don't have any idea where to start."
 
"Cool." Seungwoo replied, "Show me some options."
 
Who are you?
Tell me about the World Tree.
What is my race?
How does the class system work?
Never mind, I don't have any questions.
 
He chose the first one.
 
"Sweet!" She replied, "My name is Salena. I'll be your helper for anything game related across your amazing journey. Each player has their own guardian fairy, which acts as a storage pet along with a guide assistant. You may upgrade me inside the game as you progress."
 
"Next."
 
"The World Tree is the culmination of the developer's hard work and dedication. Since they have spent so much money on character and game design, there really isn't an over-arching story. You are welcome to discover some cool sidequests, but most of the game's story will be decided by you! The player!"
 
"So they're just lazy." He sighed.
 
"No," The fairy replied back, "I've been given a voice message from one of them in case anyone asked this question."
 
"Seriously?"
 
There was a voice memo that popped up, which he clicked play.
 
"Ay, is this shit even on?" A male voice could be heard. After a few taps of the microphone, he continued to speak, "Aight. So, welcome to the Perfect World Online. We don't really have a story, so go make your own. You motherfuckers and your guild drama along with whatever you call it is more interesting than anything we could've come up with. However! That doesn't go to say that we did absolutely nothing with the story. Each floor has its own secret storyline, which might comfort you to know that it might contain special items. Produces pretty good immersion when you're talking to the NPCs and whatnot. Anyways, I have got to head to sleep. Good luck out there. I know I'm supposed to be professional about this message, but I've just been on two hundred-hour work weeks. My boss has me working on the game whilst I'm inside it, just so he can wring out more time on the development. I swear our technology is so good, we should've patented the labour laws regarding it, but I digress."
 
Seungwoo raised his eyebrow but cracked a small laugh. That was somehow funny to him.
 
"Alright, show me how the class system works."
 
"This one is straightforward," Salena replied, "Throughout the world, there will be Skill Seeds. Skill Seeds contain a unique ability that can bind to your character to assist in battles. Now, they may be small passive bonuses such as increased movement speed, or large effects that change how you approach the game. Whatever the case, Skill Seeds can be found or can be created based on items. Skill seeds may also be obtained based on rewards on different games using the same core engine."
 
"Alright, let's create my character, then."
 
"You aren't going to ask me about your race?"
 
"Don't care." He shrugged.
 
"Well, your race is a demi-god, sent by the Earth Mother to climb the World Tree."
 
"That's... boring." 
 
"Hey!" She pouted, "I never said my developers were good at creating backstory!"
 
"I like how you reference them in the third party," He was somewhat concerned, "You know you're an AI, right?"
 
"Of course," She nodded triumphantly, "I'm pretty cool, aren't I?"
 
"Alright let's just move on."
 
"Notification!" She perked up, "Good news! Your character has already been reserved based on specifications in your previous games. Guild Avalon has reserved your name and has pre-created a profile for you. Would you like to see it?"
 
"What, already?" He chuckled. He knew that Avalon Guild was meticulous, but when he gave him his login details along with his Identification card, he didn't think they would get to work so quickly, "Sure. Let me see."
 
Spoiler

div>

Heaven's Skypiercer - Seungwoo | Level 1
<Avalon>
Heaven's Skypiercer: Reached PvE ranged class Top 10 leaderboards on Conviction Online.
PvP - Unranked
Class: Archer, Assassin Specialization: Nightshade Archer
Basic Stats Combat Stats
Health: 1050 Crit Rate: 24
Mana: 512 Swiftness: 23
Attack (Power): 21 Domination: 12
Defence: 30 Endurance: 5
Specialization: 10 Expertise: 0
Equipment
Headwear Shoulder Chestpiece Pants Gloves
None Equipped None Equipped None Equipped None Equipped None Equipped
Ring Ring Necklace Pendant Cape
None Equipped None Equipped None Equipped None Equipped None Equipped
Shoes Belt Insignia Sigil  Misc.
None Equipped None Equipped None Equipped None Equipped  None Equipped
Primary Weapon: None Equipped Secondary Weapon: None Equipped
Guiding Skill Tree | Max ♢ - 10
Main Secondary
【EX】Nightshade's Poise
♢♢♢♢♢ 【EX】Assassin's Speed  ♢♢♢

Identity Skill (Active): Conjure the power of darkness to infuse your arrows with Nightshade. Attacks using a Bow Weapon during this active effect deal 200% extra damage to targets, do not reduce any of your arrows count and apply a stack of Nightshade.

Nightshade: Enemies afflicted with this effect have their movement and attack speed reduced by 5% (up to 25%) At five stacks, blind the enemy for 1s, causing their attacks to have a 10% chance of missing. Does not work on certain enemies or bosses.

Identity Skill (Passive): While in combat, increase movement speed by 50% whilst reducing incoming damage by 10%. If you have an Identity Skill(Active) effect on cooldown, increase the movement speed by 100% and reduce incoming damage by 20% instead. Cannot be used with other movement ability effects.
Duration: 180 seconds Duration: Forever
Cooldown: 300 seconds Cooldown: None
[collapse]
 
"Seems about right."
 
"Fantastic!" She clapped her hands, "We will now transport you into the game!"
 
Another blinding flash of light and the scenery transformed around him rapidly. It transformed from a plains biome into a medieval city, in a bright daylight view. The sunlight was blaring, and he could immediately feel the heat, but he opened his inventory in an instant. Three fingers swiping upwards was all it took to show the whole character bar.
 
He already had gold in his inventory, and several Roster Mail's he had to open. Upon opening them, he had gotten some more gold, probably farmed by his teammates, and several level-one items. They were rudimentary, but they were better than the starter set he was given by the fairy. He had spent several minutes longer than he would have expected during the tutorial, but that was enough for the other groups to give him items. 
 
From:
Avalon Guild - Yoona
To:
Seungwooo
 Message

Welcome to Avalon Guild! Here are some items just farmed by Grind Company to start you on your journey. If you ever need any extra items or gold, you may buy them off our alliance members for cheaper prices than the current conversion rate auction market. You will find it at least two times cheaper, so I suggest you use this to your advantage. Grab some quests and farm nearby zones until you hit level ten(10). Then, dash to Fort Kover. There is a static dungeon that is recommended at level twenty(20), however, you may enter it at any level. Once our guild finds the exact location, we will mark it on our guild map. It is a four-man dungeon. Please use the Warp function to teleport to your nearby guildmates. The cooldown is only five minutes, but it helps us cover unexplored ground or regroup quickly.

You have received several items:
Ranger's Bow x1 [Common]
Ranger's Chestplate x1 [Common]
Farmer's Potion x3
300 Gold(G)
 
Seungwoo opened his World Map icon, and of course, there was a picture of a large tree. The tree contained many floors, but he could only see the first twenty. Clicking on the first floor, it showed him a massive floor map. The floor map was basically the size of a continent, which he could zoom in and out without hassle. The whole region was completely pitch dark, except surrounding the area his guildmates had explored. 
 
There were green dots and blue dots. He realized that the green dots indicated the guild members, whilst the blue dots must have been alliances. As his guild members and alliance members moved around the colossal world, the map would be revealed behind them sort of like a treasure hunt. They were like ants digging through the dirt to create a network of tunnels. At least, that was what it looked like.
 
He looked around, equipping everything before teleporting to the outskirts of town. There were too many people within the city walls, and he could barely witness himself think. It was more crowded than he could've ever imagined, even though the game was closed to the country only. He had teleported to Woo-jin with haste since he found out Zhang and Si-Long had already formed a duo group.
 
"Woah, buddy," Woo-jin widened his eyes as he materialized next to him, "Tell me next time you're going to do that."
 
"Will do." He nodded, "Party?"
 
"Already on it." He swiped his hands.
 
Player Woo-Jin has invited you to his Party. Would you like to accept?
Yes No
After clicking Yes, his name appeared on top of his head, along with his other titles. 

Spoiler

div>

<Avalon>
Absolute Crimson Flourisher - Woo-Jin | Level 3
Absolute Crimson Flourisher
Winner of the PvP Season 15 World Championship (3 versus 3) in Primal Online
Winner of the PvP Season 16 World Championship (5 versus 5) in Primal Online
Winner of the PvE Event | Race to World First: Bahamut of Storms, Journey's End in Primal Online
[collapse]
"I see you've been busy." Seungwoo chuckled, "Quite the set of achievements you got."
 
"Those are my best ones." He smiled, "I got a lot more, but only your top three create your unique title."
 
"Can you choose your title?"

"No, the game gives it to you based on your class, playstyle, and performance rating in other games."
 
"What's that title give you in terms of effects?"
 
"A really good Skill Seed, along with a unique class Specialization. I also got a Soul Weapon."
 
"What's a Soul Weapon?" Seungwoo asked.
 
"It binds to your Roster, so you don't lose the item upon death."
 
"That's unbalanced, don't you think?" He widened his eyes. 
 
"It's not that unbalanced," He shrugged, "There are crazier Soul Weapons than mine, along with better Skill Seeds. You can find insanely better ones in this game alone, but it's good that they gave us a great baseline. I might replace my class if a better one comes along, and same with my Soul Weapon."
 
"Also, how are you level three already?"
 
"I've just been farming." He replied, "You got a Farmer's Potion on you, right?"
 
"I do." Seungwoo nodded, "Should I save it?"
 
"No, just use it and farm these Ferric Wolves with me. We'll get better options in the future."
 
"Sounds like a plan." Seungwoo nodded, drinking the potion.
 
He brandished his bow and nocked an arrow. The guardian fairy had given him a decent amount of arrows right off the bat in his inventory, but since his unique class ability let him basically upkeep infinite amounts of arrows, he would just need to time the cooldown correctly. Activating Nightshade's Poise in his mind, a torrent of dark energy coursed throughout his weapon. 
 
Boom.
 
After firing several arrows, which materialized out of thin air onto his hand every time he pulled back on his bow, the speed and accuracy with which he could dish out his arrows were top notch. The weight was just right, and through his experience with his old games, he was rapidly adjusting to the difference between this new character to his previous one.
 
After several rotations, he had gotten a notification.
 
Congratulations! Player Seungwoo has levelled up! 
You are now Level Two(2).
 
4