Chapter Eighteen: Meeting II
23 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Atlanta was sitting down with a blank expression, seemingly laid back and playing it cool. However, she was the complete opposite on the inside. She was trying her best to compose herself as she was sitting in a room with most of the best players in the game. She looked around, looking at the multiple guilds that came to talk about the first floor's clear conditions.

Although she was new to the industry, she knew she was standing in the room of titans. The room was packed with insane talent. Several guilds, such as the Oblivion guild, are among the best conquering guilds in the game. Wonderland had the most outstanding craftsman and sellers. They would corner most of the market soon. Guild Avalon was powerful as well. Although their ranking was only in the top one hundred, their main team could rival other PvE groups. 

At the centre of it all, is the guild Dynasty. She shook at the name along. Three Chinese super guilds merged into one, each leader controlling a third of each guild's decisions. The large size of the guild Dynasty alone means their intelligence will always go far. The fact that they were here meant they discovered some facts about the first floor that everyone didn't.

"Welcome, everyone," Nuo Yan said, "We have much to talk about today." He was one of the leaders of Dynasty. He had short dark hair and was seemingly in his twenties. He had a full and robust face. One that she wouldn't mind looking at for several hours.

Everyone stopped the small commotion and focused their attention on the front of the room. Everyone had their own ritual for getting prepared, but the one she had was primarily simple. She would stand up straight with dignity. Some of the other guild leaders sat back to compose themselves, while others were putting their feet on the table.

A projected interface popped up in plain view at the front of the room. The first picture was a dungeon entrance, inconspicuous, but the entrance was locked with a notification. Upon further inspection, she realized it had a moon symbol and a countdown timer. Everyone looked as well, noticing that the dungeon was a one-time dungeon, most likely locked behind an event.

"One of our guildmates saw this during one of their dungeons clears," Nuo Yan said, pointing at the entrance, "They tried to enter; however, it said the dungeon was locked until next week. There was also a vague notification, but said it was a one-time clear."

"Do you think it has to do something with the upcoming event?" Someone in the crowd said.

"I believe so," He nodded, "We have confirmation that the first clear dungeon will be a blood moon apocalypse event. This means that soon, the event they are pushing out will be linked with the first-floor event."

"Do you know for sure, or is it in the air?" Another person asked. 

"We know it for sure," He replied, "The event is to help players acquire items to defend against the invasion. Upgrades to the guildhall, extra materials for enchanting weapons, and NPCs will spawn during the event."

"I have a question," Atlanta raised her hand, "Do you believe that the dungeon will unlock with the event?"

"We have high certainty." He confirmed.

What he said made sense, at least to her. Although dungeons mainly were far and few between the lower levels, it would make sense for them to tease a dungeon connected to an event. It wasn't out of the realm of possibility that the developers wanted people to discover these event dungeons, perhaps giving them a head start on the event.

"How many have you found?" Zero asked from across the room, "We found one similar to what you talked about."

"We have found three," He continued, changing the slide. It was the floor map, much more revealed than hers was. They had many members, so it made sense for them to already complete most of the map. They were sharing this information with everyone, so they wanted everyone to know the map inside and out, "They seem to be placed in a circular formation."

"We have located one at the far south," Zero pointed, sharing her map. The map updated on the big screen shows another portion of the world that was initially blacked out, "Each one of the dungeons is over a land claim so that we will be in charge of that one."

"We have already secured the northern one," Nuo Yan said, "However, the rest are still up for grabs."

"How many are there?" Atlanta asked.

"Eight," He replied, "I presume since each has a different moon icon."

"Do you think they're based on the moon's lunar phases?" 

"I believe so," He nodded.

"I say it's first come first serve," A person in the back replied. He was standing up and leaning on a nearby wall, but his voice was unmistakable. He had short white hair, tall looking, and handsome enough to be considered a K-pop star. Atlanta knew who it was before she even stared in his direction.

"Hey, White," She replied. He waved back shortly.

He was a strong solo player. He was an assassin class and the best one currently in PvP and PvE. He held the highest ranking for most of Conviction Online but was only dethroned due to the fact he quit to enter his mandatory military service two years ago. Now that he was back, he caused quite an uproar. No affiliated guild, but he didn't need one. 

Upon looking closer, she realized that he was already hitting the level cap. Most players at this time of the game were around level thirty, which was the standard for a first-day release. Some inched higher, hitting close to the forty mark, but he was already level fifty. She wondered how in the world he managed to get that much EXP in a single day.

"Guild Avalon will take the one to the east," Kuro replied.

"Our guild Wonderland agrees with guild Avalon's decision."

"Oblivion guild will take the  west," Grimmar replied, "We are willing to handle any disputes now."

"Guild Calamity is willing to take up your dispute," A rough voice said.

"Tch," He grimaced, "We will concede."

"Veneration will enter a joint cooperation with guild Radiance," A voice said, "We will take the northwest in a mutual alliance."

Atlanta pursed her lips. It was going to be difficult to get a land claim near a dungeon similar to this. Often a one-time event dungeon required claimed land to clear, otherwise, there would be too much turmoil surrounding the hotspot. The competition was fierce, and unlike one-time dungeons that appeared randomly, if people were to get word of this one, it would be a constant battlefield.

Some players would camp there for days, stopping other players from even entering the dungeon. If they couldn't clear it, then no one could. The best way to circumvent that was to just claim a small portion of land and build defensive structures. These structures would stop the players from grouping up, and provide a waypoint for the whole guild to reside in.

Now that most of the major guilds declared their mark, it was placed on the floor map for everyone to see. The minor guilds and the other newer guilds would have to fight over land regarding the last three positions. Atlanta thought about her position, but realized it would really be improbable she was going to get one. 

The main reason was that most guilds would not spend a lot of in-game assets to buy land this early on in the game. The market was still highly volatile, and the conversion rate was negligible at best. Claiming a wrong plot of land, or one that is subpar in terms of its drops would severely ruin smaller guilds. It was better to leave the major guilds to pave the path, and then take smaller land, later on, to catch up. There had been times when a small guild had acquired a piece of land with a secret dungeon, or perhaps a resource mine that made them riches. She just had to look hard enough.

Although she had heard that one-time event dungeons would change after the event was over, she didn't know if the new dungeon that took its place would be valuable enough. There was a lot to balance, but there was already commotion around the room regarding who would take who. Several players were already private messaging others to confirm certain locations, and Atlanta had no doubt that the major guilds were already messaging their players to claim the land.

"Guild Oblivion will challenge you over your land rights in the east," Grimmar spoke up.

"Hah?" Kuro looked up, "On what grounds?"

"We will be teaming up with the Rebellion guild to take over this land."

"Are you dumb?" She replied, "We have the guild Wonderland and Nation to back us up for this exchange."

"We will request a Ranked Trial by PvP."

"We deny your request," Aaron jumped in, "We will go to war if you further press this issue."

The crowd turned silent after those words. A guild war was something that everyone avoided since it cost often way more than it needed to. Atlanta presumed they requested a Ranked Trail by PvP to combine their forces of the best players to have a more even playing field. Guild Avalon would always win a war of attrition, but they could also be looking to weaken their alliance.

"I suggest you reconsider," Grimmar replied, "Guild Veneration has a debt from us they still need to pay. If we enforce our ruling, it will not be an even battleground for your alliance."

"Is this true?" Aaron looked at the leader of guild Veneration, "Does he speak the truth?"

"Partially," Winter replied, somewhat shrugging, "However, it is within his jurisdiction that he can bring us to assist in his land claim. No hard feelings from us, however, it is only strictly business."

Kuro looked directly into the eyes of Grimmar, "Come and try us then, you rat."

There was a small silence, but it was broken by a big notification. An area notification appeared on everyone's peripheral vision, one that only played when certain conditions were met. 

Guild <Oblivion> had declared a formal war on Guild <Avalon>
Guild Oblivion, in alliance with guild Rebellion and Starlight, has started a formal war.
Guild Avalon, in alliance with guild Nation, Wonderland and Sleeping Forest has been targeted.
A twenty-four-hour grace period has been received for all land plots. Players may still engage in open combat. 

Before Atlanta could even finish the notification and close it, Kuro already lept across the room to attack the leader of Oblivion. She was as quick as lightning, jutting her two daggers directly at the head of the leader, trying to slit his throat without hesitation. She succeeded in damaging about eighty per cent of his health, and Aaron, who was right behind her finished him completely.

Atlanta could only sit there, stunned and dazed as his body spewed out with his items and he disappeared into thin air. Whatever they did, they did not hesitate in the slightest. The look on Kuro's face was dim with rage, but the type of rage that was deep within. She looked at everyone in the room solemnly, cursing under her breath.

"Winter," Aaron replied, "If he obtains the land plot, then your debt will be complete?"

He laid back and chuckled softly, almost as if he was amused at the sight, "That is correct."

"Then he can have it," Aaron spat out at his corpse, "But by end of this month, I will raze his entire city and everything he has worked to build. This declaration of war will not end unless our guild dies or becomes the victor."

"What now?" Kuro asked, picking up the scraps.

"I think we're done here," Aaron replied, "Anyone who alliances with Oblivion will be considered our enemy. Whether official or not, we will go to war with you if you continue to work with them. This is a warning to everyone here."

Both of them warped away, and the room erupted in commotion. Atlanta didn't know which was more unbelievable, the fact that the Oblivion guild was warring against a major guild or the fact they got guild Veneration to back up their land claim. Whatever they did, it must have been important, as Veneration usually never had debts with minor guilds. She didn't know what to expect.

0