Chapter 11: Family
211 7 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I stepped into the clear walkway leading in and out of my apartment complex with a smile on my face. I felt happy to be reuniting with my family for the first time since I awakened my superpowers and I eagerly began to walk towards the elevator in the distance. When I reached the thing I pressed on the "Call" button, and silently awaited the elevator. As I waited, I pondered on the nature of some of my more idle abilities.

My enhanced senses were extremely potent. Thanks to the potency of my intensely high wisdom score I could hear every single conversation occurring around me for literally thousands of kilometers, and thanks to my extreme intelligence I had the ability to track and focus on countless sources of individual sensory stimuli without it overloading my brain. And that was before taking into account the boost I had gotten due to my "Supersenses" power, which further multiplied my sensory range.

The elevator, coming from the top of the building, was slowly making its way towards me. I listened to it happily, focusing on my present for the moment. 

But my idle abilities weren't limited to just physical things like sensing distant conversations. My mind was strong enough, with a current intelligence score of 105, to do things like make predictions based on the current information I possessed, and even slow down my perception of reality to individual thousandths of seconds, even before taking into account my speed-based abilities, which allowed for the same thing but were power based. The fact that I could do it without utilizing my powers was incredible. And that was coupled with the fact that points that I took from corpses would permanently boost my scores, unlike when I sapped points from living things, who would eventually recover from my theft. As I pondered that I heard a voice in the back of my mind.

"In order to acquire the ability to utilize the arcane discipline of necromancy as a changeling you must feed on a large number of corpses. And the ability to wield the mystical might of necromancy is itself is a requirement if you wish to gain assorted undead physiologies, such as those of the lich, dullahan, or the reaper." The system casually revealed, as I mused on the raw potency of feeding on the dead. 

I heard the soft dinging noise of the elevator informing me that it had arrived, and I stepped into the thing as I pondered the potent powers promised to a master of necromancy.


Fortunately for me, in the context of my new life as a magician and superhero, I was a fairly nerdy person. Because of that I was familiar with various magical traditions, including necromancy.

Necromancy was a potent school of magic that involved the manipulation of the dead, poison, spirits, and was largely considered to be a foul source of arcane might. Its greatest practitioners were potent wielders of mystical abilities who could command the dead, and who at, nearly deific levels of necromantic power, could resurrect the dead. 

If I could gain the power to wield necromancy... That'd be a potent source of power, well worth investing points into. Perhaps not so much as the power of the healing school of magic, but certainly still something worth investing in. 


Inside the elevator I silently pressed the button to go up to my floor. I listened as the doors began to slide shut and then felt the elevator begin its slow climb upwards. It would take nearly a full minute to finish climbing up to the floor where my family and I lived. When it did and the doors slid open I stepped out of the door and into the small hallway that separated me from the apartment my family lived in. 

The small hallway led almost immediately to the door leading into my family's apartment, and the one our neighbors, another foreign-service family consisting of an American and his Honduran girlfriend, lived. I deftly grabbed my key and unlocked the door, pushing it open with a simple usage of telekinesis at the same time. The door creaked open and revealed a lightly decorated living room, where my parents were waiting for me with smiles on their faces. 

"Hey!" I said cheerfully, a smile creeping across my face as I saw them. Their smiles widened as they laid their eyes on my new form. To be fair I looked radically different than I had before. I was only loosely recognizable as myself. 

"Whoa... You had a growth spurt! And on your birthday?!" My dad exclaimed, excitedly. He was also tall, standing just over two meters in height. I chuckled and nodded at him.

"It's exciting right?" I replied, my smile only widening as he studied me. 

My dad was a trained soldier, and the physique to reflect that. He was a tall, intimidating looking man with the fierce features one might expect in an active duty individual in the American armed forces. He was currently wearing a casual outfit made up of a pair of jeans and a loose t-shirt. I actually a fair deal like him now, but both taller and with somewhat darker skin. He was seated next to my mom.

My mom was a light skinned Puerto-Rican woman in her early forties. She was wearing a summer dress and was also studying my new form. As she studied me I took a second to scan their minds.


One of my favorite applications of my psychic power was to scan someone's mind. Doing so was something that I could do subtly and nearly instantly. 

For me to do it I simply allowed my mind to momentarily enter someone else's something that I knew no one here had any real ability to defend against, thanks to the power of "Natural Harmony". Once my mind was inside of someone else's I could easily copy all of their memories and take the copy with me when my mind left theirs. The entire process took me less than a split second, since for some reason I seemed to possess a natural affinity for psychic powers. 

My other psychic powers were, for the moment anyway, mostly focused on affecting others. With my mind I could remotely pilot someone else, or fill their minds with a sort of psychic static that allowed me to stun them and leave them helpless for as long as I wanted. I could also manipulate someone's senses, and though I hadn't used it yet I could easily cause someone to experience custom-made illusions that only they could see. I also possessed psychometry, but mine could work on people so it sort of counted as "affecting others".

I possessed two psychic abilities that weren't focused on other people. The first was my ability to levitate, which was a decent power since with it I could get to place from which I could safely fly at my higher speeds without hurting someone else. And the second psychic power I possessed that wasn't focused on someone else was telekinesis.

With my level of telekinesis I could lift things as heavy as a tank with my mind quite easily, though I was content to not use that power unless I actually needed it. That said, I could picture countless scenarios were it might prove incredibly useful. With it, combined with my mental processing speeds, I could easily render things like guns useless, even if someone managed to actually fire the gun, simply by catching the bullets in mid-air.

The memories of both my mom and dad flowed into my mind even as my mom studied me. Both my mom and dad were affected by the strange sort of reality-warping powers that had affected others and things like my I.D., and had memories of me slowly but surely growing into someone who looked the way I looked now, not how I had actually looked growing up. I spent a few thousandths of a second studying her memories, my own enhanced mind easily able to do this much and came to a surprising conclusion. 

It seems as though her memories of me, as well as those of my father, were not changed in any real way beyond the fact that I looked different in them. None of their memories appeared to reflect any sort of substantial changes to me beyond my appearance. That knowledge was both surprising and weirdly disappointing. The only sort of "reality-warping" occurring was to their memories.


"What do you want for your birthday dinner?" My mom asked, looking at me. She had rather gentle brown eyes, and had thin smile-lines on her face. I paused for a second and considered what to say. 

"Hmm... Maybe some Chinese?" I asked, smiling back at her. She chuckled and pulled out her thin cellphone. I watched her turn the thing on and wait a few moments before searching through her contacts for a name that was written in Spanish characters but was a word in Chinese. She clicked on a few keys on her phone and then I listened as her device began to ring. 

"So... any birthday wishes?" My dad asked, smiling at me as he continued to mentally process my "growth spurt". It was a bit odd that he was struggling to take in the sight of my new form, since his memories were indeed modified by the reality-warping changes of my ascension. I sensed his confusion and could detect his uncertainty, as well as further confusion geared towards the fact that he was confused in the first place. None of my dad's memories involved any concrete encounters with the supernatural but it was still rather curious to see him attempt to wrap his mind around the changes to my body. 

"Hmm... I mostly just want to spend the rest of the night with you all. I had a really good day at school and now I want to relax." I explained, smiling at my family. The knowledge that I had that neither of my parents knew about my true heritage was a bit of a relief if I was being honest. It meant that they hadn't been keeping a gigantic, life-changing secret from me, and the knowledge that they hadn't allowed me to know that I could continue to trust them as I had during my life until now. 

My mom continued to place an order for the Chinese food in the background while my dad questioned me about my day and made conversation in the way that dad's tended to.

For the next few hours we'd spend bonding time together, with my family questioning me about my plans for the future, as was perhaps the norm for adults curious about the plans for the future of a teenager on the cusp of adulthood.


By the time my parents went to sleep I was in my room on my laptop. We had spent hours together and I was fully out of any sort of socializing energy. Thankfully, I didn't need to sleep thanks to an incredibly potent mutation entitled "Noctis Cape" which at the tier I possessed allowed me to be perfectly fine not sleeping. I intended to capitalize on that potent power and make the most of every minute of nighttime. 

My laptop was on, and on a video-sharing website entitled "VideoNow". I was finally ready to begin to utilize the most specific and weird of the superpowers I had gained, the mind/body enhancements granted to me by the grey power set. 

I tapped on the touchscreen of my computer's laptop and began to type a specific set of words into the search bar of "VideoNow"; "Gymnastics". Almost as soon as I pressed "Enter" a new screen appeared before me, showing countless videos with various thumbnails of men and women engaging in difficult gymnastic feats. I tapped on the screen again, selecting one that had various people in the thumbnail. 

As I clicked on the video it began to change my computer screen, and a split second later I was watching various people perform difficult gymnastic feats. I smiled as I watched various people, including but not just olympic athletes, perform incredible and dexterous routines that involved all manner of gymnastic maneuvers. 

While I studied them I felt my brain and body begin to change. One of the grey powers I possessed, "Copycat" was taking hold at the moment. I felt knowledge of how to do what the athletes I was studying were doing fill my mind and suffuse my body.

With "Copycat" I was capable of perfectly replicating feats performed by others that I had seen, so long as they were possible given my physiology, and I was seeing something that had actually happened. So I could easily replicate the feats of gymnasts, martial artists, and other talented athletes. 

I opted to spend the next few hours watching videos of complex feats of human agility, dexterity, acrobatics, and martial arts.

6