Chapter 12: The Dawn Of The Second Day
216 9 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Nathan would not move from his room throughout the night. He opted to instead focus on absorbing as much knowledge as he could during the night, as well as engaging in a few fun recreational activities. 

The intense mind of the young superhero was hard at work. He efficiently absorbed as much information as he could from "VideoNow" while cleverly honing a few of his more fun powers. While the young man laid on his bed various pieces of furniture, including the bed, floated thanks to Nathan's choice to practice both aerokinesis and telekinesis at the same time. 

Throughout the night the room had been surprisingly noisy thanks to both the videos he had watched and the sound produced by various localized miniature tornadoes that had lifted various shelves, tables, and more found throughout the teenager's room. There were also various spots in the room that had been lit up by strange balls of light or by floating, flaming orange orbs of supernatural, self-contained fire.

In many ways, the room had been a fantastic museum of the anomalous. Nathan himself had been calm and was a vision of focus as if he had always spent his life surrounded by the supernatural. 

The young man kept his parents unaware of his powers by manipulating their senses and ensuring that they slept peacefully through the night. He saw no reason to tell them of his adventures, or of his superpowers, at this especially early moment in his career as a superhero.

But his home wasn't the only one in Tegucigalpa. Other homes throughout the city were unknowingly affected by his potent powers, as part of his rather unusual training regiment. 

Normally the streets of Tegucigalpa at night were intensely dangerous. They were said to be among "The most dangerous places in the world", and many people in other, "More developed" nations, feared the city's streets for that very reason, a fear which increased in intensity at night. But, due to subtle usages of intensely potent psychic power on Nathan's part, during the wee hours of August 17th, 2021, not only was not one crime reported, not a single gunshot was heard or a single violent crime committed. 

The young superhero did not achieve this considerable feat through overt mind control. He viewed such direct, uncreative means, as boorish. Instead, he carefully manipulated those who had schemes to commit violent acts through sensory manipulation, keeping them distracted and busy, all while slowly utilizing the same powers to lead incorruptible law enforcement officials to the criminals in question. He even used his powers to provide illusionary "proof" of the crimes they were going to commit, including muttered confessions from the criminals themselves and giving them ample time to handcuff and incapacitate the criminals before releasing them from the illusions they had momentarily lived in.

This act was something that he did as an experiment, one that filled him with an appreciation for the subtle intricacies of his powers. Nathan's intense powers had shown their potency as he had cleverly used them to keep the streets of the city clear of dangers, opting to protect the city as a bit of practice and a chance to hone his powers. 

By the time the sun began to rise over the mountains that surrounded the city, some of the city's key figures noted how strange the relative peacefulness of the city was. And yet not one moral figure complained, though plenty of criminal bigwigs were annoyed by the lack of crime and vocalized their irritation, those of them that attempted to punish someone for it found themselves unable to pull a trigger or thrust a knife. Instead, such bloodthirsty fellows found themselves dealing with a pounding headache, while Nathan smiled, distantly.


Thanks to "Natural Harmony" I knew that the true potency of my powers was much greater than I had demonstrated to myself tonight, but as the sun began to creep into the sky above the mountains that surrounded Tegucigalpa I felt proud of the work that I had done.

With my powers, I had stopped crime of all sorts and led to the arrests of hundreds of criminals across the city. My powers had allowed me to protect the million-plus people who lived in and around Tegucigalpa and also to subtly guide the city's law enforcement to deal a staggeringly enormous blow to the criminal underbelly of the city, one of the largest they had been able to deal in years. 

By the time it was six in the morning I deactivated the majority of my powers and listened as numerous things clattered to the floor. The sound produced by the abrupt falling of various objects was quite loud, but fortunately for me, I had never stopped manipulating the senses of my parents so that they could continue their day without needlessly worrying about me.

Once my bed was on the floor I leaped off of it with a smile and went to go to shower before school. This was the first thing that I did that was largely unnecessary anymore but was a hard habit to break. It was like breathing, when I was alone, a thing that I didn't need to do but that felt right to do.

I didn't need to shower for two reasons, with the first being that my "Airbrush" mutation gave me the means to control my body odor. The other reason I didn't need to shower was that I could use telekinesis to truly clean myself if I felt dirty, or something like my other kinetic abilities to do so. Nevertheless, I opted to do so largely out of habit.

I didn't need to breathe because of a mutation I possessed that allowed me to survive in space and in other worlds. That, incidentally, was one of its handier features was that it but other features it granted me were also fun physiological adaptions such as needing no meals to survive and immunity to radiation.  

I walked over to my shower and used my telekinesis to strip while I turned the thing on, before stepping into the still cold water. The warming water felt good on my naked, now hyper-masculine form. 

As I allowed myself to soak in the shower I began to idly warm up the water by heating the shower itself with a subtle application of both pyrokinesis and my "Heat touch" power, an alteration to my body stemming from the violet power set that allowed me to heat objects with a simple touch. The water immediately began to heat up and I smiled as I felt it heating me up. 

As I stood in the warm shower I gazed at my hand. The limb was now a powerful thing capable of altering reality in a number of ways, from firing energy bolts made up of kinetic and thermal energy, to controlling someone's endocrinal system with a simple touch. I stared at my hand and envisioned energy pooling around it, only to see a warm ball of potent power surround and encase the limb, waiting to be released at will. 

"The speed of a fastball and the force of one to boot huh? Not bad..." I muttered as I remembered the description of the power locked away in the part of my mind that stored information about my superpowers. I knew that fastballs could break bones, and could deal significant damage to a lot of things. The ability to reliably create objects that could replicate their force and strike someone with them was a pretty hand power. 

I was actually quite fond of the four violet-type powers I possessed, as all of them were intriguing abilities that gave me new abilities. With "Photosynthetic" I was able to gain a healing factor during the day, with "Light shield" I was able to create personalized forcefields, with "Heat touch" I was able to alter the amount of thermal energy in an object in a number of ways, and with "Kinetic bolt" I gained a handy projectile attack. I especially liked "Light shield" and "Photosynthetic" since I had very few directly defensive abilities aside from abilities that rose my personal endurance and ability to shrug off attacks. 

At the same time I closed my eyes and began to feed on corpses that were "nearby" as in within a few kilometers of my location. Such corpses weren't limited to those of humans and included the corpses of various insects, vermin, and other animals. I felt the pleasant sensation of points beginning to suffuse my very body as I began to lay back against the cold wall of the shower. 

"That's the stuff..." I muttered, pleasantly as dozens of powers began to pour into me. I felt each of my attributes steadily increasing, and felt the range of my ability to remotely feed increasing as well. I immediately sensed a potent feedback loop wherein my skills with "Ravenous Feeding" were increased as I utilized the ability, and my range was increased with every point in intelligence I absorbed, thereby allowing me to feed on corpses further and further away.


As I utilized my potent powers my sharp senses, which also increased with every point I absorbed that heightened my wisdom stat, increased in keenness. I idly listened to conversations throughout the central part of the United States and as far away from me as portions of Peru. I could smell things in other nations and could track scents as easily as I could breathe. 

Before I knew it my stats all hit the two hundred mark, which brought a smile to my face. As they did I felt my own incredible physique increasing in might. 

"This is exciting..." I uttered as I felt myself inching closer and closer to both the physiology powers I could purchase and as I drew closer to being able to gain power over necromancy. 

I chuckled, shook my head, and turned off the water. The second I did I utilized my pyrokinetic powers to instantly turn the water that was flowing down the drain into steam and then mentally used aerokinesis to disperse the steam, spreading it out across the room and watching it begin to thin. With a smile, I dried myself instantaneously and then began to grab my uniform as I stepped out of the shower.


Within minutes of getting dressed I found myself looking at the stairwell that led me downstairs and to the first floor of my apartment building. I could see the elevator next to me and considered pressing the button. 

"Hmm... I could press the button and call the elevator to me. Or I could have fun. After all, I know parkour now. And what is the point of having that sort of knowledge if I don't use it?" I asked myself, a grin beginning to appear on my face. I gazed down the stairwell and knew that I could easily traverse the place without using any of my truly supernatural abilities thanks to the raw potency of my grace skill as well as the new skills I had gained thanks to "Copycat". 

I stared at the steps and listened as the bus drove past my home and towards the school. While subtly shaking my head I smiled and began to dash down the stairs. I was able to sprint down the first stairwell with a beyond-natural level of grace, confidence, and poise. As I ran down the stairs I felt a level of control over my body that I had never possessed before and was thankful for each point of grace I had taken from others, be they living or dead.

The stairwells looped around each floor, and I was able to gracefully and effortlessly run, leap, and almost glide down each of the stairwells. My body was able to move faster, in more controlled ways, and more precisely than it had been before thanks to my enhanced and supernatural grace, the main attribute which controlled such things, as well as the potent feats I had seen performed by various olympic athletes and professional stunt doubles during the training I did. 

When I reached the ground floor of the apartment complex I smiled and stepped up to the exit of my apartment complex and out its front door, ready to head on over to school and begin my first full day as a superhero. 

For the curious, and also for future readers who stumble across this, I myself am Puerto Rican and was raised throughout Latin America by parents in the government. I was raised in Colombia, Panama, Honduras, Puerto Rico, and the continental United States, and visited El Salvador and Guatemala during my childhood. I like to write Latino characters, partially because it's my own lived experience and also because I don't think there are many Latino superheroes or Latino characters in fantasy generally.

Also I am going to gradually shift away from using the colors=powers descriptor, as it is confusing. I will probably adopt something similar to what Help, a reader and frequent commentator suggested for power identifiers, utilizing terms such as body/mind enhancements, body/mind additions, external powers, transformative powers, and magic.

6