Chapter 25: Conditions And Experiments
119 4 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I was listening to a little girl tell me about her day when the village's "Azer", their equivalent of a mayor, reached me. He was an elderly fellow who leaned on a cane and was helped by two guards who carefully attended to him. He didn't interrupt the little girl, and instead smiled at her even though she couldn't see him. I glanced up at him and smiled, and it was my motions that caused her father, a quiet man who was a person of action rather than of words, to realize that something was up. 

He turned around and upon noticing the village's leader behind him smiled respectfully at the old man, and cut off his daughter gently. He nodded, gratefully at me, and pulled his daughter and himself away from me so that the azer could step towards me. The elderly man quietly thanked the quiet figure as he stepped past him and towards me. Behind me, Technos stiffened slightly, and Olivia placed a reassuring hand on the machine's shoulder, which was enough to cause the robot to relax. I smiled at the azer and began to speak.

"Good morning Mr. Steffanos. I am the one who answered the call of the magi you employed." I explained, gently. My voice washed over the elderly figure and made him sigh thoughtfully. He chuckled a few moments after I introduced myself and began to speak.

"Good morning, Mr. Hero. Nathan was it? I am Mateo Steffanos, the azer of this community. I am the person tasked with making the day-to-day decisions that keep this town afloat. And calling you here, or rather calling the magi Xander and Leonardo to call you here, was one such choice." The azer, a title that seemed to be somewhat similar to that of an earthly mayor, explained. I nodded when he asked me if my name was Nathan, causing the man to smile as he began to speak again.

"As you can see my community is a tiny one and we are attempting to do nothing more than humbly eke out a decent living. And yet despite our best efforts, we face a number of problems. In order to address those problems, I asked for our country; the nation of Parth, to send us two magi who could perform a complicated rite that creates a portal to a distant world where a hero could be found that could help us. The two magi, Xander and Leonardo, performed the ritual yesterday." Mateo revealed, explaining the context that caused the portal in the depths of the armory of The Sanctuary to appear in the first place. 

"I see... Well, the ritual did open a portal. One that appeared in a portion of my home last night. I, and a few of my allies, opted to enter it and explore the area right around it." I explained, opting to honestly share that information. Mr. Steffanos listened to me with a stoic look on his face as he considered my words and what to say next. When he next spoke it was with a remorseful tone to his voice. 

"Nathan... Forgive me for calling you to our home and being responsible for the creation of a portal in your home." He said, truly apologetically. I chuckled and smiled at the figure, before next speaking. 

"Please, Mateo, there is nothing for me to forgive. All you have done you have done in the name of helping your people." I responded, causing Olivia to smile, and for Technos's estimation of myself to increase and improve. Mateo smiled at me as I spoke, and I felt the biggest possible wave of relief wash over the old man. 

"In that case... Would you be willing to consider aiding us? If not, I can't blame you, but if you are indeed a kind hero then... Please, lend us your aid and support!" The man asked, his voice filling with power as he uttered his audacious ask. Despite the power in his voice, I could sense the conflict he felt as he asked me that. I could feel his pride making him not want to ask me that question, and how he hated himself for asking it. I could also hear a touch of relief in his voice, the relief that he felt because he had asked the difficult question, and also relief that the magic he had placed faith in had actually worked. I turned for a moment and studied my companions. 

Olivia was studying me in turn. She wanted to see how I answered this question. She wanted me to reveal more about who I was, and she wanted to see if I was the sort of person she could trust with the secrets of our shared home The Sanctuary. 

Technos was standing behind me rather stoically. They were an imposing figure, their gigantic frame and unnatural color effortlessly able to attract a fair amount of attention. They were also silent for the moment, content to watch this play out organically. I turned around and began to face Mateo again, studying the relative stranger with an unnerving intensity for a few moments before beginning to speak. 

"I... I will aid you and your people. I believe you are being truthful and that you seek what is best for your community." I stated, before utilizing my powers to scan the man's mind, doing so over the course of but a few seconds and nearly instantly confirming my hunch about the man. He was an honest, prideful sort. The kind of man someone like me could trust in a situation like this. He wasn't happy to have asked to have me summoned, but he knew that it was the best move if he were to ensure his community's continued survival. 

Mateo began to smile, bittersweetly, as he heard my words and he quickly thanked me profusely. Meanwhile, I opted to do something subtle.


I effortlessly create a psychic hive that connected Olivia, Technos, and myself. Doing so was no more complex or challenging to me than picking up a pencil and writing out my name. The instant that our minds were connected to each other I began to flood the minds of my companions with vital information. 

I explained the truth of my origins, in their mysterious complexity, to the two allies I had brought with me. Doing so was a bit intense but it felt nice to have allies who'd know the full truth of my abilities and my ambitions. I also revealed everything that I had done during the last few days since my initial transformation to them, making them the only two people in the omniverse who knew just how incredible my powers were, since I was still a non-notable figure even in the world of my childhood. 

Normally it'd take both of them a second to process all of that information, but one of the things that I did was supercharge both of their minds, using my own psionic abilities to speed Olivia's cognitive processing, and utilizing my technopathy to do so for Technos. For me to boost Olivia's mind all I had to do was focus on doing something as easy as sharing a sliver of my own psionic power since for me one of the greatest reasons for my enhanced mind wasn't even the actual boost to my intelligence but rather the ways that my psychic abilities strengthened my brain. That was far easier for me to do now than it would have been a few hours ago now that I had power over charity.

Boosting Technos's cognitive abilities was something I did by utilizing my technopathic abilities and focusing on enhancing the limits of their programming. To do so I simply had to utilize my powers to tap into the essence of what made Technos, Technos, and force that to expand. It felt like as if I were attempting to train a muscle I had never worked out before and finding that it was stronger than I had anticipated. 

Their supercharged minds were able to immediately process the full, shocking truth about my nature and also able to hide any physical reactions they might have otherwise had to the full truth I had just revealed. They weren't silent though. 

"That's... a lot. And you've only had your powers for a few days?! Incredible." Olivia mentally uttered, astounded by the fact that I had been a superpowered being for a total of three days and that I already possessed such control over my own powers. 

"To think that The Sanctuary chose to give someone so young such astounding power... I am excited to see what you do in the days to come." Technos whispered into the minds of Olivia and I. I smiled and was also excited to see what would happen in the days to come.


"People of Golden Gate!" I said, speaking loudly and gathering the attention of the people of the village.

"Know this, I am a traveling saint and warrior dedicated to the protection of innocents, and I have decided to aid the people of this community. I will devote my powers to the well-being of your community and to the health, safety, and happiness of you all. And to show that clearly..." I uttered, as I lifted my hand into the air and selected the area immediately around the town's walls on my minimap. 

"Allow me to give you a tremendous gift. The gift of an artificial harvest." I proclaimed as I again activated my potent "Nature Control" power, targeting the town's fields for farming all sorts of crops. I put a bit more of my will into it than I had before and I felt the potency and speed of the power dramatically increase. And then I heard the explosive sounds of distant plants surging out of the soil around the town, dozens of trees, hundreds of bushes, vines, and more, sprouting out of the ground spurred on by my potent powers over nature. 

"I will endeavor to see to it that all of you are fed, safe, and housed. My powers will be used to keep you safe, so long as you see to live generously, kindly, and peacefully with your fellow townspeople." I explained, even while using my powers over wind and telekinesis to gather the distant, literal, fruits of my labor and begin to bring them towards me.

The villagers could hear the sounds of the intense winds that I was using to pull the harvest towards us. Internally I felt my experience with telekinesis beginning to slowly increase my skill and power with it since at the moment I was using it in multiple places even if each individual usage of the ability, or each "hand" it was generating was only lifting a little bit. The combined total weight they were lifting was considerable, and it took a fair amount of focus for me to lift the crops towards me. 

"All I ask in exchange for my aid and my protection, live good, noble lives. And create a vibrant, successful, influential community." I uttered, even as the food I had created began to appear in the air above the town's wall which completely surrounded the town. People began to smell the fresh vegetation and glanced up only to see the food I had created and begin to gasp. I could see the auras that surrounded the people of Golden Gate begin to change as they saw the floating food inch towards them. I sensed them beginning to feel loyalty and gratitude towards me, thankful for the ability to have a constant, reliable food source.


While the people of the town began to celebrate the arrival of a hope for the future, I turned inward and began to do some research. I needed to go ahead and figure out the capabilities of the machines inside of me. To begin to do that I quietly and quickly began to attempt to question the robots that were supposedly a part of me. 

"Hello, is there... 'Anyone' inside of me who can hear me?" I asked, internally. I wasn't entirely sure if this would work, but I quickly began to feel a sort of gestalt consciousness in the back of my mind begin to form in response to my query. And then a soft, mechanical voice responded to me.

"Yes, there is." The voice abruptly whispered back to me. I was quiet, internally, for a moment upon hearing the voice.

"We... Are the group consciousness of the machines linked to you. We were formed in response to your desire to learn more about us. How may we aid you?" The voice added, explaining its origins. I began to smile, so thrilled that I couldn't hide my excitement.  

5