Chapter 37: Goals & Research
141 14 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I gazed at my clone and willed the creature out of the room. The creature vanished as readily as my morphic companion, myself, and my clone first appeared here. Olivia saw this and turned to look at me quizzically. 

"I have a new power. It's... no big deal, I can just sort of see stuff a lot better now? A lot more stuff." I explained, cryptically. Olivia, upon hearing this, knew better than to pry and just nodded supportively at me. I grin at her, thankful for her not attempting to pry. Instead she gets up and offers me a hand.

"Given all of this stuff with your powers and such... I think it's time we revisit Technos. The armory has an area wherein we can begin research into the mysteries of your blood, and maybe even your heritage." She explained, with a soft smile on her face. I considered her words for a moment before looking up at her and taking her hand. She effortlessly pulled me up off the bed and we began to make our way to Technos's birthplace and home. Meanwhile, I would begin to take full advantage of my newfound powers back on Earth.


My clone reappeared on Earth, far away from the safety of The Sanctuary. He materialized within the grand courtyard of Oxwitik, alone and unarmed but not in any way shape, or form powerless. 

The clone, now armed with things like "Multisense" was a terrifyingly dangerous entity and it was a good thing for the people of Copan that he was not at all hostile. The clone gazed at the night's sky and rose into the air, unseen, unheard, and utterly undetected as he began his extremely unusual mission. 

As he rose into the night's sky, utterly alone he began to thoughtfully project invisible copies of himself, or rather... ourself, which sped off in every direction around him. As they did I watched the number of mental theaters in my mind's eye skyrocket, and perhaps just as importantly I sensed the minimap at the corner of my heads-up display begin to expand and show me parts of the world I had never gotten to explore. 

My clone stood still, basking in the moonlight which illuminated one of the first places in the world to have witnessed a recent magical battle. Deep down I feared that soon the whole world would see the sort of battles that had occurred here, mere minutes ago. I also knew that I had an obligation to protect as many innocent people, regardless of things like their birthplaces, their species, and their beliefs, from the very real and very dark consequences of the sort of arcane dueling that may become commonplace if I wasn't careful. 

As the astral-selves shot out of the clone I immediately began to feel my brain soaking in more residual sensory information than I had ever taken in before. The astral-selves were as astoundingly fast as I was, which thanks to the training I had undertaken in the wake of my becoming an elemental of light had explosively increased from around Mach 200 to a speed comparable to the actual speed of light. Thanks to that in mere seconds my clones were situated throughout Latin America and North America. 

I placed astral-selves throughout the region, opting to hold nothing back and to begin to operate at my actual maximum capacity for the sake of farming points, and in doing so felt the sheer capacity of my brain expand. Millions of conversations began to become audible in my mind, and I did myself a swift favor and utilized my potent psychic abilities to effortlessly acquire the ability to speak the thousands of languages I could hear, so that I could make sense of what was going on around my astral-selves.


The Americas were the home of over a billion people. And at the moment, in pursuing my decision to operate at my maximum potential, I was able to do more than count them individually, though that was within my capabilities as well. I could see every single lifeform within the Americas all at once, and if I cared to I could have counted them all out. Lifeforms not yet discovered by human scientists were fully on display before me, in the depths of the mountains, the oceans, and in the heart of the Amazon Rainforest and other diverse ecosystems. 

The lifeforms that I could see were not just new types of worms hidden in the dirt. I could see never before discovered members of the Panthera genus, of the Alligatoridae family, and that was before I even began to look at the supernatural events occurring throughout the portion of the world I could peer into unobstructed and undetected by anyone who may have been hostile had they known they were being watched. I watched the openings of portals from which supernatural, only sometimes human-like beings began to enter the world. 

In Colombia I watched portals open up in secretive governmental facilities. In the United States, governmental agents investigated rumors of magic and interrogated those who were believed to have actual superpowers. In Canada families who were proud of their arcane heritages performed rites they knew about because of alien entities such as myself who shared potent magical secrets with them. 

There was no going back. It had never been so clear to me before now that the world that had once existed before my eighteenth birthday was long gone. Magic was returning to the world, and there were already thousands of people throughout the western hemisphere who possessed potent magic.

This ability was so breathtakingly incredible and so utterly eye-opening that as I allowed it to stay active in my mind's eye my eyes began to glow a cold blue light, something I was aware of because I could also see through my morphic companion's eyes and the still rebooting entity was in front of us and looked at us speechlessly. Olivia noticed my eyes and stopped me as we were walking from the manor to the armory.

"Hey... What's going on?" She asked me, curiously. She stared into my eyes and as she did I began to feel grateful that I controlled various functions of my body, and thus had control over whether or not I blushed. I sighed and considered how to respond to her. 

"I... I guess if there's anyone I ought to let in fully, it'd be you right?" I asked before I took a deep breath and opted to just tell her the full truth.

"As I previously told you, my particular iteration of the system has broken up superpowers into tiers. Until earlier today I could only utilize tier-one superpowers. That has changed. I can now purchase tier-two superpowers and they are a true doozy. I was given the ability to get one of each 'color' for free. The 'Type-Blue' power I chose to get for free was a power known as 'Multi-Sense'. With it, I can project astral-selves throughout a distance equal to the length of the Americas of my Earth. I am doing that at the moment." I explained and watched as Olivia's eyes widened. 

"With a power like that you can... You can deceive people into thinking you're omniscient!" She realized with a start before I nodded at her. 

"That's such an insane boost in power... It's honestly kind of unfair." She said, with a pout. That caught me off guard, and I stopped looking into her eyes just to chuckle softly. 

"Trust me it's... a lot. I can hear the sounds made by trillions of lifeforms at once, and I am privy to conversations between presidents and their mistresses." I told her, chuckling as I mentally parsed through all sorts of conversations from difficult interviews with children who are exhibiting magical abilities to the lonely utterances of angry middle schoolers. I softly tapped my head and felt my mind sifting through an impossible number of words as my million eyes gazed at millions of people and Olivia gazed at me sympathetically before taking my hand and urging us towards the armory where my ally and follower Technos was surely waiting for us already. 


One of the more potent powers of the young changeling was the incredible ability that he had to teleport places he had been in the past. And as his clone floated undetectably in the night's sky above the ancient ruins, he quietly considered that incredibly potent ability. And how little he could actually use it at the moment. 

The clone was every bit as powerful as Nathan himself. He possessed access to all of Nathan's truly incredible powers. And as he floated high above the ruins beneath him, he decided he was going to go ahead and help out his creator in his own way. The clone gazed in the direction of the United States and decided, after speedily obtaining the consent of Nathan himself, to have a bit of fun with the potent powers of a light elemental. 

The being began to glow as he took on the sheer power of a light elemental, and then took off on a mission to crisscross every inch of the Americas and in doing so gain the power to pop in instantly anywhere where Nathan's astral selves were being projected. 

During this time Nathan himself, along with Olivia and the Knight Morph reached the facility where they intended to begin the long and difficult process of understanding Nathan. Within minutes, during which time Nathan's clone was honing his speed even further, Nathan would reunite with the creature who gave him some of his most potent abilities; his powerful arsenal of robotic servants.


In the time since I had begun my most intensive round of training Technos had modified his body to be of greater use to himself and to myself. The Technos that now stood before me looked positively identical to a human being, one of average height and of standard physique for a moderately fit human. He gazed at me and I felt his sensors scanning me. 

"Hello, Master. Greetings, Olivia. And... I see that you have a new companion." The machine, or more specifically now, the android, asked as he gazed at the morphic entity besides me. The mental theater through which I could sense what the morph sensed shifted as the creature studied the artificial lifeform before us. A second later the thing began to speed. 

"Master Nathan, artificial lifeform detected. Loyalties detected... 100% loyalty to Nathan, and 80% loyalty to Olivia. Shared master, and thus priorities detected." The morph uttered, before relaxing. To my surprise, Technos smiled at the creature. 

"Oh, Master I see that your abilities to acquire new friends still never ceases to amaze." The robotic entity informed me, sharing just a bit of what it thought of me in that single utterance. And then the creature's weirdly human eyes shifted back to me and narrowed.

"I can feel your desires, Nathan. I see that you've reached that point in your life when you wish to know who your biological parents are." The creature exclaimed, causing me to chuckle and nod. 

"Hmm... Even in the cases of a normal changeling that tends to be difficult. And in your case, since you have had such an explosive growth spurt as far as your powers go, so quickly... I fear that any parent of yours must be people as bizarre and frightfully powerful as you are. But before we take any steps further, master, you must answer a question. Not to us, but to yourself." The machine explained, revealing that even with its new features and form some things stayed the same. It was still happy to be cryptic. 

"The sort of research we are going to do in this lab," At this point, the creature stopped talking for a moment and gestured to the area behind it, a large lab filled with all sorts of the same equipment that once housed the organites, nanites, femtomites, and picomites that now flowed through my clones and I. "Will reveal a lot about you. It'll reveal things like your mutations, and if not your parents then at least give us an idea of the sort of creatures you might be descended from." The machine explained. 

"You must ask yourself if you are comfortable with us knowing such information. Do you want to let us in?" The android asked as he gazed into my eyes, the very same ones which continued to radiate cool blue light. I stepped forward and nodded at him. 

"The path to self-mastery, to me learning how to control my abilities, is one that I, funnily enough, cannot walk alone. At least not in my current state. I've got to trust some people but that's hard. And I've got to believe in those who care about this place. I know that I have not been here as much as I need to be, but the truth is..." I began as I looked to Technos and then turned to look to Olivia.

"Some of my powers scare me. Not every superpower I possess is a cool ability that makes me like some comic book superhero. Some superpowers are dangerous. And that scares me. I am afraid of a few of the powers that exist deep in my heart, in my soul. Powers that were given to me by this place. Or... that were awoken by this place." I began, as I finally began to seriously think about the disturbing nature of the "Type-Pink" powers, all of which awoke within me when I first acquired ownership over The Sanctuary.


The powerful "Type-Pink" abilities were powers that were related to things like love, lust, beauty, life, passion, and sex. They were dangerous abilities that filled me with a kind of power I had never chosen. Powers that Olivia had, just minutes ago, revealed to me were in all likelihood genetic. 

They were abilities that affected me on a level that ran deeper than molecules, atoms, and particles. They transformed my very being and revealed that I had the potential to be a deviant being, a nightmarish being who fed off of things like lust, love, and sex. It was as if I had the innate potential to be an incubus or something like that, something which scared me since if it were true that would greatly complicate any attempt I made to allow romance and sex into my life.


"I don't know if I'll ever be able to trust myself with some of these powers. Many of my superpowers are not things that make me able to lift cars or run on water. They are things that allow me to warp, break, and shatter minds in a thousand and one different ways. If I wanted too I could touch someone and induce pleasure. I could touch someone and induce orgasm. With a glance, I can make someone want to fellate me. To someone who never thinks about the actual ramifications of that it may sound fun, but it's not if you stop and legitimately think about what you're doing." I explained as I began to mentally explore the potent powers contained within the "Type-Pink" family of powers.

I sensed all three creatures around me radiate sympathy or as close to it as they could. All three, even the morph, turned to face me and I could sense legitimate sadness in their gazes, sympathetic sadness at that. I sighed and looked up at the ceiling of the laboratory. 

"I want to understand these powers. I want to understand myself. And I want to master them so that I can have... some semblance of a normal life. Or at least so that I can have a romantic relationship that I can trust is truly consensual and not the gross product of one of my superpowers." I stated, a bit more confidence seeping into my voice. I then turned to face my companions again. 

"And I trust the two of you. I know you are loyal to either me or to The Sanctuary itself, and that is enough for me. If I can begin to walk towards self-acceptance and self-mastery then it is worth revealing minor aspects of who and what I am to you." I told them, causing both the robotic being and Olivia to smile gently. A split second later I sensed Technos beginning to scan me again. 

"In that case master Nathan... Let's get right to work." The robot said, a bit enthusiastically, to my surprise. The robot's eyes widened in surprise as he took in what was surely a weird amount of chaotic genetic information. And then he began to speak. 

"Well... That's weird. Changeling genes are... I'm sure a human being would call them nightmarish." The robot began, which caused my eyes to widen in shock as I let out a startled laugh. 

"Master Nathan, you possess a multitude of the mutations known to alter changelings throughout their lives. With just this cursory glance at your genes I can see the genetic markers for 'Concealed', 'Noctis Cape', 'Morbidity Limit', 'Subtlety', 'Core Instinct', 'Set Architect', 'Power Lock', 'Airbrush', 'Eternal', 'Mental Block', 'Hypermutation', 'Power Sense', 'Low Frequency', 'Adaptability', 'Polytype', and 'Natural Harmony'." The machine explained, which matched my own understanding of the weird hellscape that was my genetic makeup. Though this information also caused Olivia to visibly react by making the powered woman just sit down and stare at a technology-covered wall for a second.

"That's... I've never heard of a powered being having that many mutations. Not even the oldest or the strangest mutants or chaos beasts that I know of have that many." She said, legitimately shocked. And then Technos chuckled. 

"And those are just the common ones. Among the 'Grab-bag' list you possess every mutation except for 'Polysapien', 'Multipersonality', and 'Worthy Opponents'. Your genetic stability is... practically nonexistent, but as you are a changeling I suppose that's something you can just... endure?" The machine asked, genuinely flabbergasted by what it had discovered about me. I sat down, beside Olivia and began to speak, a mere second after Technos learned what it learned about me. 

"I don't know if either of you has actually sat down and legitimately thought about the fact that I am a changeling. I am the superpowered offspring of two superpowered beings, further changed by the utterly transformational experience of being sent hurtling from one universe to another. My body innately produces anomalous energies because as a baby I was exposed to the chaotic energies of interuniversal space." I began, gently. 

"I am now armed with the knowledge of a coven of witches who spent millennia practicing magic. Their every thought, their every memory, dwells within me. I know every secret they learned. I know of their magic, and unlike them, I can perform it unaided by the energies of nature because I radiate magic myself. Magic is in my veins because magic is the energy that flows between universes, multiverses, and pleniverses. The very energy which once infused my form when I was but an infant." I continued, my voice softening as I explained to them dreadful things about myself that I already knew, things I only truly began to learn when I absorbed the knowledge of the witches I defeated.

"I am simultaneously alive and dead. I am both fully angelic and fully demonic. I am a vampire who can radiate sunlight utterly indistinguishable from light from the sun that shines on Earth without burning myself up. I am an elemental being, one who utterly lacks genetic information, while also having all of the genes of multiple corporeal species. Contradictions and chaos..." I revealed while raising a hand and allowing it to radiate brilliant light. Technos looked at me, curiously, and said something that surprised me. 

"Yes, but Nathan with the sort of mutations you possess it is likely that your parents were... That at least one of them possessed what is known in powered spaces and communities as a 'Paragon Aberrant'." The machine explained, causing me to stop entirely. And then my morphic companion began to speak. 

"'Paragon Aberrant'; Immensely powerful powers created by high-level morphic entities that are sometimes considered to belong to a quasi-mythical 'Fifth tier' of power, beyond even the fabled 'Pinnacle' powers of each of the powersets that sit comfortably on the fourth, and highest legally and socially recognized tier of superpowers." The quiet voice of the morphic entity explained, as Olivia, Technos, and I quietly mulled over the contemplations of that. And the morph wasn't done. 

"'Paragon Aberrants' are not themselves genetic, but even the ability to wield a 'Paragon Aberrant' is dependent on one possessing a genetic makeup of a certain, incredibly rare level of power and adaptability. The genetic makeup of a changeling... could certainly be that powerful and that flexible. Plus there's the fact that those who can wield such powers themselves produce offspring also capable of wielding such abilities." The voice explained, leaving no room for doubt as to the full implications of what it was saying. 

It seemed that at least one of my parents might have been a superhero even among superheroes. Technos allowed the silence to linger a bit longer before looking at me and continuing to speak. 

"Judging from the potency of your mutations we can theorize that your parent was either a possessor of the 'Aeon' 'Paragon Aberrant', or the 'Morpheus' 'Paragon Aberrant'. Both of them possess distinctive similarities to you at the moment. With 'Aeon' it is the immense number of abilities and mutations that perfect things like your body and mind that are similar to it, and with 'Morpheus' the reason I speculate your parent may have possessed it is due to your affinity for things like energy and the elements." The voice of the machine explained softly. 

"If it is true that one of your parents is a possessor of a 'Paragon Aberrant' it certainly would make sense that they could court and mate with a being of things like love, beauty, lust, and all that." Technos added, gently. 

2