Chapter 38: Discoveries & Aberrants
131 14 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Those two aberrants are a bit quirky even among their kind. 'Aeon' not only bestows those who manage to acquire it with true immortality and invincibility, something which makes it unique even among the 'Paragon Aberrants' it also allows them to see pathways to the ultimate accomplishment of literally any goal. 'Morpheus' bestows its wielders with unlimited energy-manipulation even beyond the mightiest energy beings." Technos added, a few moments after he finished speaking. I listened attentively to the machine's explanation. 

"They are two of the eight known paragons, though it is also possible that your parent wielded both or neither of those powers. Your parent might not even have wielded a paragon at all, we're honestly just speculating but judging from the specifics of your genetic code I'd estimate that there's an over fifty percent chance that one of your parents was a paragon wielder." Technos told us, as I continued to consider the implications of that. 

"That's..." I began before Olivia cut me off with an exasperated sigh.

"That's both a lot and nothing at all. It's pure speculation, even if it comes from one educated in these matters." She told us, before sighing again. 

"If we do a thought experiment and think about the worst-case scenario... If Nathan is the child of a being of love and beauty, and a paragon wielder, that is extremely dangerous." Olivia continued, before looking at me seriously. 

"If it's true that you are the hitherto unknown child of a being of love and beauty and a paragon wielder, Nathan... There are all manners of families that would kill to have you join them and create children with them. Families, emperors, and even literal gods would be searching for ways to get you to join their factions and to sire children with them. Or, worse, they'd be looking for ways to acquire your genetic information and then dispose of you." She explained cautiously. 

"And if they succeed in killing you they'll quickly learn that any attempts to replicate your unique genetic structure are... doomed to failure, at best, and catastrophic disaster at worst." Technos added as the machine drew our attention back to it. 

"Your genetic structure is weird, even among changelings. Some members of your kind, if it can be called that, have willingly allowed themselves to be studied by all manner of otherworldly and other-universal scientists and the results are public information. None of the changelings who've willingly been studied and who have submitted the resulting research for public consumption are like you on a genetic level. Even what few similarities exist among changelings, a notoriously diverse species, are not found in you." The machine told us, its voice containing a touch of astonishment. 

"That said, you are absolutely a changeling. The ability to become contradictory things, like a living vampire or a demonic angel is entirely and exclusively unique to changelings. That ability is one you've handily demonstrated that you possess. There is no use in questioning your status as a changeling." Technos added, just for the sake of assuring me that I was a changeling. Olivia and I looked at each other and opted to sit in silence for the moment. All of this news was... perspective-shifting at the very least.

"Nathan, you need to go ahead and start thinking about things on a larger scale. At the moment your planet is largely alone and few, if any, extra-universal entities or families have come to visit it but that will change soon. When it does, due to your unique genetic structure and the potency of your powers you will be noticed." Olivia began, while gazing at me sympathetically. 

"You would be wise to capitalize on this moment of relative stability and peace. If you are proactive and you spread your influence far and wide you could probably make it difficult for any otherworldly or other-universal beings to get to you in an effort to secure either your aid or other, less pleasant things." Olivia advised as she studied me. 

"You should call for another council of the Trapped people. We all have real skills and talents, and if you intend to seriously utilize your full powers and resources that includes us... Or rather, them. They'll do your bidding if you give them a chance to leave this place, even temporarily." Olivia told me, which more or less meshed with what I knew about them. 

"You wield real power over them. It's honestly kind of unfair, but I think that if you treat them fairly and actually reward them for the work they do they'll learn to be happy with their current situation. And ultimately it's not as if you can release them at the moment." She continued, which also aligned with what I knew.

"You aren't wrong. I suppose we could have the meeting tomorrow?" I asked, causing Olivia to smile at me as she felt heard and respected since I had opted to take her advice.


The Sanctuary was an incredibly potent artifact. It had the power to be the home of diverse civilizations, wholly separate from each other and living in peace or in war. It had the power to trap the souls of even gods and goddesses. And at the moment it was in the hands of a powerful being who was exploring difficult moral topics, and whose homeworld was already changing forever.

The wielder and owner of the artifact was a kind-hearted sort who sought to help the just and hold the wicked accountable. And at the moment the artifact was both a great boon and a challenge in that respect. He wielded and owned the artifact but he had not yet proven himself to be the location's true and ultimate master. And doing so would be a great and challenging task that saw him be suitably rewarded if he dared to seek out the true potency of the extradimensional place he owned. 

The Sanctuary itself listened to him and his companions as they spoke about the future. It listened intently, and curiously, eager to see if Nathan would rise to the challenge that was being laid out before him.


While I sat in the laboratory, my clone was elsewhere. In the minutes that had passed since my main body had learned about the possibility that my parents were godlike beings of immense, mysterious power, my clone had crisscrossed the Americas. He had utilized his vast powers as a being of light and had explored the entirety of the Americas in mere seconds, and then continued to crisscross the region for the sake of ensuring that my incredibly potent "Teleportation" ability operated as brokenly as it could have. 

Many of my powers were not really balanced in any particular way. I was aware of this, and until now had not really operated at my maximum potential partially because of that. Now that I was inching towards maximizing my potential, I was utilizing my vast intellect in ways that were both familiar and unfamiliar. 

One relatively unfamiliar way that I was making use of my intellect and the assorted abilities that I possessed was by actively expanding my abilities and knowledge. I had astral-selves situated throughout the entirety of the Americas and they numbered in the billions. Some places had more of "me" than other places did, as libraries and archives were teaming with astral projections of my grand consciousness. They were actively and voraciously devouring all sorts of media. In seconds I had learned a truly vast amount of information about all sorts of beliefs, practices, and disciplines. And that was just from reading. 

One of my most potent abilities was my "Copycat" power, which was a "Type-Grey" power belonging to the "Mind-Alteration" subcamp of superpowers. With it, I had the ability to learn via observation to the point of something close to parody and thus could learn how to do any physical feat just by seeing it done once. And that ability was incredibly powerful when mixed with "Multisense". 

All over the Americas, there were people hard at work even in the wee hours of the morning. Hospitals were staffed by skilled doctors independent of the time of day, hunters peered at tracks even in the dead of night, pilots skillfully piloted planes, helicopters, and other vehicles, and mechanics skillfully addressed all manner of mechanical malfunctions even at two or three in the morning.

Thanks to "Multisense" I was able to see them all, and because of that, my abilities began to explode in diversity. Beyond even that power though, was my skill at going into minds and, from within one's own brain, copying memories and adding them to my own. 

"Multisense" was a truly vast ability that increased my range of sensory awareness to laughable levels but by itself that wouldn't have been all that useful. The real power that I could exert when I used "Multisense" came from combining it with other abilities. For example, "Multisense" was not an ability that granted its wielders any sort of omnilingualism, so it took linguistic capabilities to really maximize its potential. Thanks to my psychic abilities I could readily acquire linguistic abilities that allowed me to really get the most out of "Multisense". 

Another vastly powerful, but somewhat annoyingly limited ability that I possessed was "Assessment". "Assessment" was powerful but it relied on my own knowledge of things, which was fallible in many circumstances. With it there was a portion of my mind that was dedicated to speculation, strategizing, and problem-solving. In fact, all this corner of my mind ever did was speculate, strategize, and problem-solve.

The problem was that it didn't possess all knowledge, it could only use what knowledge I possessed to try and solve problems. That was something that was easy enough to exploit by any future enemies with knowledge as to how it worked, or at least it would have been if not for my potent psychic powers.

My psychic abilities allowed me to peer into someone's mind and copy or take all of their knowledge from them in an instant. When I did this I added their knowledge to my own, thus allowing it to be used by "Assessment" to strategize and problem-solve. "Multisense" was handy here because it made it possible for me to more effectively gather up large amounts of information and immediately put them to use. 

It was while my clone was enabling me to passively accumulate considerable knowledge and skills that I made my next big choice. I turned inward and purchased the first "Type-Yellow" power I'd purchase at the second tier. It was a fairly simple but still handy ability that gave me new powers such as the power to turn into an amorphous, slime-like being, capable of secreting potent acid and wielding pseudopods, with all of the fun physics-based abilities that came with that. 

I also went ahead and purchased the semi-final tier-two ability I'd gain for free, a powerful "Type-Red" power that boosted all aspects of my baseline physique. It enhanced my super strength, my speed, my senses, my calculative speeds, and was a powerful all-around boost to my body.


Back in the laboratory, a few minutes after the revelation concerning the "Paragon Aberrants" that one of my parents may or may not have had, I found myself in a rather unusual position. I was fully immersed in a variation of the devices which once contained the robots that now lived within me. One much bigger than the one that the microscopic technology had been stored inside of.

I was immersed in a water-like liquid that actually studied and scanned my body perpetually, sending data to the strange machine who ran and protected the armory. I was able to breathe without any issues in the water due to an ability given to me by The Sanctuary, but even without it I would have been fine since I didn't need to breathe to survive. I looked around in the tank and listened as Technos's voice began to become audible to me directly within my mind.

"Hello Master Nathan. How are you feeling?" The voice asked, curiously. I chuckled and looked around me for a moment. All I could see was the strange water-like substance and at the edge of my vision a strange dark wall made from some solid substance that engulfed the tube. 

"I'm feeling fine. Are you ready?" I asked, using my mind to reach out across the distance that separated Technos and I. I could distantly hear the figure manipulating the tank I was in, and I activated "Multisense" just once to send out an astral-self that could watch Technos. Once my eyes were on the machine he began to speak again. 

"Alright, looks like everything is ready to go! When you're ready you can explain your 'Type-Pink' ability and when necessary demonstrate it. Feel free to use the machines within you as well. That way I can gather data on them." Technos explained, this time his voice sounded as if it were coming from an audio-projector located somewhere within the tank I was in.

"Okay, well let's begin with the most basic of my 'Type-Pink' powers; 'Auto-Evolving-Beauty'!" I declared, before finally deactivating all of the mental blocks I put on my own body to keep myself looking less attractive than I actually was. As I spoke the words I felt my form beginning to change and my body beginning to radiate the eerie, mind-altering beauty that I possessed. And I even heard Technos gasp in shock as he began to behold my true form, though through a second-hand means which would, thankfully, dilute some of the impact.

2