Chapter 8 The Pond that Eats People
132 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Lin guide sighed and felt his coat pocket, but found nothing.This gesture looks familiar.I smiled, pulled out half a box of Regal (an expensive cigarette only available in the military) and threw it at him. "Smoke, Lao Lin."

Lin took a cigarette case, took out a cigarette, and then smelt it under his nose: "Ha, Junwei, we can't see this kind of smoke in the market."
Then he was in no hurry to light the lamp.He raised his hand and put the cigarette to his ear.Tried to throw me a cigarette case.

"You can take it all."I waved."These cigarettes are for the army.I have a lot."Lin hesitated, then, after a few polite words, put half a box of tobacco in his pocket.Liu Jingsheng saw that he did not light a cigarette, reached out the hand of the lighter to him: "Old Lin, lit" Lin guide will push back the lighter: "do not smoke, now is the period of frequent mountain fires, really caught the fire will be very serious.We forest police have the habit of going up the mountain before the fire breaks out."

Lin guide relaxed his steps and spoke bluntly.He said, "The waterfall we just mentioned.""The Miao people call it a cannibal lake.I didn't count them before I came here.I've been a Ranger for 20 years, and I fish from the pool under the falls almost every year.The only dead man I ever saw would fill a pool."

"Are you joking, Old Lin?How many people are there on the mountain?How many people died?"Song Chunlei couldn't believe it."Chunlei, what are you talking about?Doesn't that stop us from listening to fairy tales?Story, Lao Lin.What happened then?""Mr. Liu said with a smile.

Mr Lin does not mind their mockery: "Most of the dead were not locals.Some people had been dead for a long time before they came out of the puddle.The Local Hmong are even afraid to carry water there.The drought.Waterfalls are taboo."

"Song Chunlei also want to refute, Lao Wang scold words have not come out: "Song Chunlei you shut up!Old Lin you ignore him, continue to say you of words."

"Last year I saw with my own eyes a yellow-haired foreigner fished out of a pool, not yet blisters and swollen, whose features were clearly recognizable.The public security bureau and the foreign affairs office of the city sent people to investigate, but they could not find out where the foreigner came from for three months.It was determined by the bureau that a foreign tourist fell into the water and died."

Although Lao Wang does not believe in ghosts, can also be said to be skeptical: "so many people died, the public security bureau did not investigate?""The public security bureau investigated, and they didn't dare not?"Guide Lin broke off a branch that was in the way. "How many times have the public security bureau checked it? They even sent divers from the water police. They didn't find anything and they just gave up."

"Then the area must be sealed off, too. What if someone drownings?"It was Li Yan who spoke."Twelve years ago it was blocked off, the falls were surrounded by barbed wire, and every year people died in the pools.The barbed wire was removed yesterday, to complement your mission."

Li Yan said again: "Your public security bureau did not assign a person to guard here?""The public Security Bureau sent" Lin guide pointed to his nose with a wry smile: "It is me. Our public security bureau set up a guard box at the only exit of the barbed wire. I have been here for more than ten years.It's not a tourist area and you can't see anyone except the occasional local Hmong."It is so, I took a look at the guide Lin, originally thought you talk little, dare is so many years did not meet others ah, dare you were a chatterbox ah.

When I heard him say that every year people die in the pool, the ghost of the drowned man from several years ago came into my mind: "Lao Lin, what do you think is the cause of death for so many dead people in the pool?Did they drown?"

"I say Shen La, you really believe it. Just listen to the fairy tales. Do you think it's true?"Liu Jingsheng looked at me with great displeasure. "I believe it to refute him," I insisted.

He turned to the Lin guide and said, "Lin, we are going to have a look at the waterfall at all costs. Please lead the way." The Lin guide did not insist any more and sighed.Walked forward a few meters, more than a meter high weeds, revealing a very hidden dirt road: "walk from here, about 20 minutes to get there."

I thought this was unusual. "Lao Lin, didn't you say that few people go to the falls?Why is there a way?"Lin explained: "This is the same time when the dead bodies of foreigners were found. A lot of people from the municipal bureau, the Foreign Liaison Office and the Foreign Affairs Office trampled out a road. At the beginning of the year, the dirt road became conspicuous due to the severe drought before the grass grew up."

"Come on, see the terrain beyond the falls and go back.It was almost time for an ambush, "Lao Wang said, and the nine of us followed Lin's guide down the dirt road.Lao Lin looked reluctant and stuffy, walking in front of him. The open chatterbox was closed again.

The closer we got, the louder the sound of the water running down the waterfall became. There was no one talking along the way. Although Lao Wang did not believe it was a ghost, it was obvious that Lin's guide's words had already made them feel chilly in the heart.Not to mention, the closer I get to the waterfall, the more my head aches, as if another force is about to burst out of tianlinggei.This feels like a familiar, come to think of it, the last time I met water ghost when my head was so painful...

"Here we are!" the Lin guide led us to the end of the dirt road and then through a wild mugwort forest more than a man's height.A waterfall 30 to 40 meters high finally appeared in front of us.The water plunges more than 30 meters from the cliff and drops into pools the size of football fields below.The fog of the waterfall made a rainbow in the sunlight.

"How does this waterfall look like a dead man?"This idiotic words is song Chunlei said: "Which have what float..."He tried to say floating corpses, but in the middle of it he froze.Fifty metres away in the shallows, something was floating there.

It can't be so coincidental.Just when we froze.Lao Wang had made up his mind to go there. The captain was still the captain, and his courage was not a boast.Some of us followed him.I felt the sweat in my hand holding the gun, and my headache was getting worse.

At last he got a good look;It wasn't a floating corpse at all. It was a wooden board much taller than a man."Fu**!I was scared to death "Old wang scolded 1:" you go to see this is what ghost thing?"Before we could do anything, guide Lin had jumped into the pool and carried the plank out.

Before my eyes, I could see that the plank was a wooden tablet.I don't know what it's for.But you could see that the wooden tablet was old. It had a red coat on it, and it was almost peeling off.It seems that the stone tablet has just fallen into the pool, and the texture of the wood has not been soaked through.The engraved inscription on it can still be seen very clearly.

The inscription, written in the Song style (an ancient Chinese character), reads: "

Heaven creates things to feed man, yet man resents heaven for its unkindness.

Do not know that locusts and pests spread the world, let the common people suffer all kinds of suffering are princes and generals.

Born with a distinction between noble and humble, noble people are often sentimented by heaven.

The wealth of life is given by heaven, the poverty of the common people is decided by heaven.

Suddenly there was a fanatic sharpening his knife at night. The emperor was dimly discernible shaking and the fierce star was hanging high.

Earthshaking changes from now on, how to kill the need to cherish his work.

The disloyal can be killed, the unfilial can be killed,

The unmerciful can be killed, the immoral can be killed.

If a person is not polite, wise or honest, The king of Daxi, Zhang Xianzhong, said he would kill them all.

I was not born to rise up and contend for the kingdom, for I would not build a golden tower at the gate of the capital.

Top officials are running dogs, are under the knife will tremble with fear.

My four adopted sons, who were ordered to the army, did not need to seal up the dagger to enter the city.

I built this monument for God at the top of the hill, and I will kill those who rebel against God, and I will kill those who kneel for mercy.”(The original text is in the ancient Chinese language, and I have translated it twice.)

Lao wang saw straight brows: "what is this mess?"Of these, I have the highest degree (high school), I was good at getting points in history. At last, I determined the sex for the wooden monument: "This is Zhang Xianzhong's (1)poem of seven Murders, how can it be here?"Song Chunlei came over and said, "Zhang Xianzhong?Sounds familiar, kuomintang(2)?"I looked at him helplessly: "I say spring thunder, free also go to read a book, don't what excrement basin son all buckle to the party state over there.Zhang Xianzhong, the leader of the rebellion at the end of Ming Dynasty, was as famous as Li Zicheng(3)."

Song Chunlei blushed and mumbled: "I said it sounded familiar to me." I ignored him and said to the guide, "Lao Lin, have you ever seen this monument before?"The guide shook his head. "No," he said. "Isn't Zhang Xianzhong making a revolution in Sichuan?I've never even heard of him coming to Yunnan."

"He may not have brought it himself," I said, "or it may have come from somewhere, but there is no reason for it to be in this pool." "Never mind that, whoever he is."Lao Wang is a little impatient: "Let the wood take old Lin back, we walk around, familiar with the terrain back."

The terrain is so simple that the waterfall and the pool form a dead end, and there is no way out but to return.Lao Wang took us for a walk, did not find any other exit, followed the original road back.

On the way back, Lao Wang brushed against my side and whispered, "Lazi, what is that Wang Xianzhong doing?"I looked at him feebly, originally you also do not know.Elementary school textbooks contain all this knowledge. I don't know how the two of you got through nine years of compulsory education(4).

Zhang Xianzhong was the leader of the peasant uprising at the end of the Ming Dynasty. In his early years, he worked as a constable and spent some time in the Ming army.Then he ran from the camp overnight because he was going to be killed for breaking the law.He defected to a peasant rebel leader of the time.Because he had the guts to kill.He soon became the leader of the rebel army, along with Li Zicheng.A few years later, When Wang jiaying died in battle, Zhang and Li parted ways.Lee went to attack the capital.Zhang Xianzhong attacked Sichuan. A few years later, he occupied all of Sichuan.He proclaimed himself emperor in Chengdu and established the regime of Dazi.

After claiming the title of emperor, Zhang Xianzhong became suspicious, changeable and murderous. He believed that everyone around him would betray him.He not only killed the Ming army, but also began to kill the people, and even began to kill the ministers.Soldiers.Finally in his capital - Chengdu city began to slaughter the city.History records that he turned a perfectly good City of Chengdu into a zoo.The carnage then spread across Sichuan.A few months later, he was shot dead on the hillside of Phoenix by Prince Hogg of Zuru of Manchuria.According to historical records, the total population of Sichuan province in the early Qing Dynasty was only over 100,000.No way, the emperor shunzhi decree, ordered hunan and Hubei to move millions of people to supplement the population of Sichuan.

Note: (1) Zhang Xianzhong: A peasant rebel leader of China at the end of the Ming Dynasty in the 17th century. He was cruel and loved to kill.Then it was exterminated by the Qing Dynasty.

(2) Guomintang: The Kuomintang , often referred to in English as the Nationalist Party or Chinese Nationalist Party (CNP), is a major political party in Taiwan (Republic of China), based in Taipei. Formed in 1919,
the KMT was the sole ruling party of the Republic of China from 1928 to 2000 and is currently an opposition political party in the Legislative Yuan.

The predecessor of the Kuomintang, the Revolutionary Alliance (Tongmenghui), was one of the major advocates of the overthrow of the Qing dynasty, the subsequent revolt in 1911,
and the proclamation of the Republic of China. The KMT was founded by Song Jiaoren and Sun Yat-sen shortly after the Xinhai Revolution of 1911. Sun was the provisional President,
but he ceded the presidency to Yuan Shikai. Yuan's death in 1916 led to the nation's disintegration in the Warlord Era. Sun deputed Chiang Kai-shek to form the National Revolutionary Army and launch
the Northern Expedition that unified much of mainland China and established the capital at Nanjing. During the following Nanjing decade China achieved substantial economic growth and social progress, But the second Sino-japanese War (1937-1945) was disastrous.
After losing the Chinese Civil War (1945-1949) to the Chinese Communists, the Kuomintang retreated to Taiwan, where Taiwan continued
Ruled as an authoritarian one-party state.The Nationalist government retained China's seat at the United Nations until 1971.

(3) Li Zicheng: Like Zhang Xian-zhong, he was the leader of the peasant uprising of the Ming Dynasty in China in the 17th century.
He conquered the capital, Beijing, and destroyed the Ming Dynasty.

(4) Nine-year compulsory education: According to current Chinese law, children must receive nine-year primary and secondary education, or their parents will be regarded as illegal.

 

1