Chapter 10: The Missing Hint
53 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Hellooo, just wanna say hi to those who are reading this simple story of mine. *Waves both hands with a bashful expression* Hope you have a nice read! (^//_//^)/

 

Raising my head, my eyes met with the gaze of the wolf. Its sharp, shining blue, and inquiring eyes fixed on me.

I could feel myself frozen on the spot.

“Damn it.” My companion lowly muttered. I could guess that he too, also noticed the wolf’s attention on us.

I carefully gaze the huge brown creature. Scanning its whole body, I noticed that aside from its snout, underbelly and tip of the bushy tail being white, the rest of its body are covered in a warm brown-colored fur.  

If it weren’t from the scary confrontation that took place just now, I might even be tempted to pet and snuggle the creature and would mistakenly took it as a domestic huge dog.

The creature continued to stare at us unflinchingly, as if it watches what we’ll be going to do. Then it took a few steps forward, as if it was about to approach us.

Suddenly, my arm was being pulled and I was dragged away from where I stand. Then my captor hissed at me.

“What are you doing not moving? Can’t you see it’s coming to us? Let’s move!” he said as he moved us sideways, keeping distance from the wolf who stopped in its tracks and keeps its eyes on us.

As we move from the side, I was able to see the side profile of the wolf and then my eyes got attracted to a bright red spot located to one of its hind leg. That’s when I realized a red liquid was dripping from the wolf’s leg.

This is the creature who made that blood trail. I belatedly recall the red animal prints and the paw marks. It seems that this is the creature that group of men were talking about being valuable. And that this might be the one in the rumors.

Then, is this the one who… caused the disappearance of one of the kids…? My mind swirled with dark thoughts, trying to comprehend what to do right this moment as I speculate.

As I became distracted, my captor seemed to notice the injured state of the wolf and urged.

“Hey, do you hear me? Let’s backed away slowly. Looks like it senses we meant no harm and just keeping its eye on us.” He said, bringing my attention to him. My eyes glanced up, meeting a pair of hooded ashen grey eyes. I finally gotten my first look at my captor.

A head taller than me, long dark red hair like the color of wine that tied up in a low ponytail, hanging from his right shoulder. A young face that portrayed its owner’s youth age, and a pair of deep, sharp and alert ash grey eyes met my scrutinizing gaze.

My brows deeply furrowed as I identified a complete stranger in front of me. Who is this person? I’ve never met him or remember any encounter with him before I return back in time.

Then he continued making us back away.

“Come on, miss. I told my attendants of this location and they might be at the outskirts and looking for me. Let’s go before we encounter the other men.” He said as he took hold one of my arms.

“Wait.” I said as I separate from his grip. He looked at me, puzzled and a little bit impatient.

I looked back at the injured wolf. The wolf seems to be watching us, its intelligent eyes curious. I took a couple of steps towards it, my eyes trained to its gaze. Sensing my approach, the wolf began to exposed a bit of its sharp teeth, getting on guard. A low growl came from its mouth.

“What do you think you’re doing?!” A harsh whisper came from behind as something grabbed my wrist, stopping my movements. I looked back at my companion and saw an incredulous expression on his face.

“Time is running. Let’s hurry out of here!” he continued in a low growl as he kept glancing at the creature as if it might attack us.

“No.” I refused, trying to take away his hand that was holding tightly my wrist.

“We’re wasting our time to escape, miss. Don’t bother with that wild dog and let’s go.” He hastily said, pulling me.

“Please stop and let go of me, Sir.” I said, struggling away from him.

“Although I don’t know who you are and guessing that I too am not an acquaintance of yours, I would like to express my sincere gratitude for helping me today.”

“However, I would like to treat the creature as it was seriously wounded but inadvertently helped to scare away those group of men who seemed to have ill intentions.” I continued, looking solemnly at the red-haired youth.

The two of us stared at each other for a moment.

“Are you not afraid that it will also attack you?” He asked slowly, sensing my stubbornness.

“I considered that possibility. But I think the wolf is somehow intelligent and can understand humans. I am willing to take a gamble.” I answered honestly, sharing my gut feeling that the wolf had seemed a keen sense of intelligence and can comprehend them.

The youth still frowned, not believing my statement.

“I won’t persuade you to come with me, Sir. I know your companions are waiting for you. I guess this is where we part ways. If you continue to walk forward in that direction, you will be able to go out of the woods.” I said as I point to where I entered the woods earlier and finally bid my farewell.

“As for my thanks, if you follow where I pointed at and get out of the woods, you will see a dusty and uneven road. Just walk straight on it and you will come across our village. Our village is currently celebrating a festival, so many people are gathered there. You could hide in there until late in the evening from those group of men.” I added, looking straight at him. For a moment, he had a surprised look on his face, as if he didn’t expect I could have deduced he was escaping and hiding from those men earlier.

Then he gave me a wry smile and said, “Huh, then I will not refuse your kindness and you have my thanks as well.”

He nodded at me and turn back, finally walking away. My eyes watched him for a couple of seconds and turn my attention back at wolf, who is now half-crouched, its eyes glinting in alert.

I swallowed a bit, my earlier bravery now wavering as I am completely alone with a potentially dangerous and clever creature.

I slowly put a step forward, my hands splayed in a placating gesture, trying to let the wolf see my harmless intention.

“I-it’s okay. I won’t hurt you.” I said in a soft and gentle tone, trembling a bit in the beginning.

The wolf slowly relaxed from its crouch stance, but still let out a low growl, looking at me warily.

“You’re seriously hurt. I just want to help you a bit.” I continued in a soothing tone, putting another step forward.

I continued my slow and careful steps towards the wolf until a few feet only remained between us. Then, even though I was trembling, I carefully crouched down and lift up my shaking hand with my palm up towards the wolf, preparing the worst outcome that it might bite viciously away my fingers or worse, my entire hand.

The wolf seemed to paused its movements for a moment, like a person who observes the situation. Then it slowly approached my extended hand, its snout coming closer contact. As it started to sniff my hand, its snout came in contact to my palm, giving a slight cold and moist sensation. Its breath gave way to warm and humid air. As these sensations gave a bit of ticklish feeling, my hand unconsciously jerked, surprising the wolf and making it growl.

“Huk--!” I gasped in fear, closing my eyes tightly and refrained myself making sudden movements that might provoke the wolf. Please don’t eat my hand, please don’t my hand.

I waited for a moment and didn’t hear another growl or pain that might indicate my hand already became a sudden snack to the creature. Afraid that the wolf would find me aggressive if I stare, I keep my eyes closed and my hand stretched.

Something cold and moist touched my palm. Then something furry nudged my hand. Finally, I felt something wet slide across my fingers, making me open my eyes.

It seemed the wolf licked my hand then nudged its head, as if wanting to be pet.

Cautiously, I let my hand pat its head and rub its fur. When I saw the wolf didn’t get offended, I tried caressing the side of its head and the wolf leaned towards my hand, making a soft growling noise that I could feel a slight vibration. It looked like it decided that I am an ally and would not harm it.

I exhaled huge sigh of relief and look at the wolf gently.

“Thank you for trusting me.” I said to it in a soft and affectionate tone.

Now that I’m assured that the wolf would not attack me suddenly, I slowly stood up and said to it.

“Come on, let’s treat your wounds.” I said to it while looking for a place where I could lead it and at the same time to hide away from the pursuers in case they decided to come back to this place.

As if the wolf could understand what I intend to do, it bit the side of my dress and tried to pull me towards the densely crowded part of the woods where it came from a while ago.

“O-oh. You want us to go there?” I asked. The wolf let out a howl and nudged me towards the area as if confirming.

I patted its head and went towards the direction it pointed. The wolf walked on my side. When I finally cross and parted the bushes, I saw a small space between the trees and bushes, like a smaller clearing compared to the ones where the group of men gathered earlier.

I led the wolf under the shade of a big old tree. After telling the wolf that I will examine its wound, I carefully parted its fur on its injured leg. Something similar to a dart was protruding in its leg, stabbing the meaty flesh of the wolf’s thigh. Looking more closely around the area of the wound, the skin began to darken and became purplish as it got further away. Remembering that one of the guys earlier boasted about his expertise on poison, I could almost discern that the dart that wounded the wolf might contain toxic and harmful substance. Looking around, I tried to recall if there’s an herb I could find within the woods that could treat this kind of injury. From what I remember, there’s an herb growing in the forest that the villagers used when treating small cuts or wounds. However, I don’t know if it could be also used to treat a poisoned wound. I massaged my forehead in frustration.

Suddenly, the wolf stood up and limp towards a bush with small purple flowers that are clustered in groups. Opening its mouth, it bit a piece of a branch were three group of the clustered purple flowers are attached and walk back towards where I am in a limping stride. The wolf then released the branch on to my lap and nudge it with its nose then lick its fur that is near on the wound.

Somewhat understanding what the wolf is trying to tell me, I began to rummaged inside the satchel that was slung across my body and took out the shears and the remaining rope I have with me. Seeing the shear, I tried to used it to cut the rope but the shear seemed to be too blunt and no longer sharp as it cannot even cut a tiny bit of the rope. Remembering it was the ax I used earlier to cut the thick rope, I feel a sudden regret as I lost that piece of useful tool.

“Too bad I lost the ax. Wish I also brought a knife with me.” I mumbled.

“I have a dagger with me. You can use it.” Said a voice from behind.

Then a hand holding a dagger appeared before me. My eyes widen with surprise as I stare the dagger with a dumbfounded look. Then I felt it look familiar as I look the intricate design of the handle.

I followed the arm holding it and came face to face to the grey eyes that I looked at earlier.

I blinked a couple of times as I looked at him. Then I said,

“So it was you.”

0