Chapter 11: White Silk
32 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As I identified the owner of the hand offering the dagger, I subconsciously blurted,

“So it was you.”

The boy only raised his eyebrow at me, bemused. He gestured at the dagger he’s offering.

“What, we just separate for a few minutes and you already about to forget me?” he said dryly.

I snapped out of my reverie and accepted the dagger. Just as I was about to cut the rope, I paused. Putting the dagger carefully inside my bag, I stood up and look for two rocks with certain shape and size. After finding the ones closest to what I need, I began to look for a cluster of grasses that can be used in treating wounds. Once I successfully located a few of them, I briefly scanned my surroundings and frowned. Then I went back to where the wolf and the boy are.

“What is it?” the boy asked as he saw me frowning.

“I cannot see any stream or pond near here. Or any water source.” I explained. It would be helpful for me in treating the wolf.

“How about this?” the boy asked as he threw something rectangular at me. Catching it, I recognized it was a small metallic drinking flask about the size of a whole palm. Unscrewing the lid, I took a sniff and quickly averted my face away.

“Is this alcoholic?” I verified, my face wrinkling from the strong smell.

“Obviously.” He replied in a deadpanned voice.

Recalling that alcohol might also be used as disinfectant, I clutched the flask and screw the lid close first. Kneeling in front of the wolf, I pulled out the two stones I picked up earlier. One resembling a flat and wide surface while the other smaller and rounder in size. I placed the grasses I found on the flat rock and began smashing it using the smaller rounded stone. As the plant juice began to sipped out, I stopped my movements. Getting the flask and unscrewing the lid, I look into the wolf’s eyes and tried to communicate with it.

“I would like to try treating your wound. This might be painful for a bit but I hope you could bear it for a while. Please don’t attack me, ok?” I talked to it, praying it could feel my sincerity. Then I began pulling out the dart while at the same time pouring the alcohol right to where the wound is.

The wolf howled loudly in pain like a person screaming and bared its teeth to snap at me. Reacting quickly, I pulled back my hand and also felt being pulled away by someone, further to the wolf who is growling in pain.

“T-thank you.” I said weakly to the boy who pulled me. My heart thumping anxiously.

“…Don’t tell me you still plan to be eaten by that dog?” His delayed replied.

As both of us watch warily the wolf, the wolf began to calm down and slowly licked the wound, making weak whimpering sounds.

I cautiously took a step forward. Then another. And couple more steps. Gradually, I was in front of the wolf again. Halfway through me going nearer, the wolf watches me with guarded and slight hostile gaze. Like appeasing a sensitive and guarded person, I tried to coax the wolf.

“I’m sorry that it hurt you. I just want to help you with your wound. May I continue?” I said, keeping eye contact with it as I slowly kneeled once more. The wolf let out a low growl, making me paused my movements for a second. When it became silent again, I carefully reach out and picked up the rock with the smashed plant and spread out the extracted juice on to the wound. Letting it sit for a few moments, I began grinding the purple flowers the wolf gave earlier. I pulled out from my bag the dagger, the rope, and the cloth I used in wrapping up the eggs I gave to the kids earlier.

Measuring how long the rope I need to cut, I began cutting two pieces of rope with the same length. Then I examined the wound again. Seeing the plant juice was almost dried, I began applying the grinded purple flowers to the wound and applied the remaining to the piece of cloth before wrapping it around to the wolf’s injured leg. To make it more secured, I tied the ropes from the two end of the cloth, hoping it could help preventing the cloth to be loosened should the wolf began moving its legs.

“There. It’s done.” I said, exhaling. I smiled at the wolf and carefully patted its head. It whimpered weakly. My heart clenched looking at its pitiful state. No matter how much I want to help it more, I already did the best I could at our current state. Hopefully it could survive and avoid those who was hunting it, like those group of men with ill-intentions.

Seeing the wolf drooped its head down the ground and close its eyes, I stood up and quietly walked to the boy leaning against a tree. He silently waited as I moved towards him. Standing in front of him, I hold up the dagger.

“Thank you for lending it to me. I’m returning it back to you.” I said politely, smiling at him.

The boy glanced down at the dagger but made no move taking it back.

“Um, Sir?” I followed up, confused.

“Let’s go. With the wolf howling so loudly earlier, it might attract those men going from this area.” He replied as he turned around.

“Alright. I understand.” I agreed, thinking also the same. “Just a second.”

Going back to the resting wolf, I stroked its head gently, saying my farewell and wish for its recovery. As if understanding our separation, the wolf rubbed its snout on my hand and gave a ticklish lick. It then nudged me with its snout as if urging me to go.

I ran towards the boy, picking up my pace to keep up with him as I look one last time to our somewhat canine savior with a worried heart.

 

----------

 

The boy and I ended walking back to where I entered from earlier after stopping the three brothers by tricking them with painted "eggs".

“I instructed my companions to meet up at this point. Any moment they might arrive already so let’s wait here.” The boy remarked, plopping down and resting his back on a tree.

Something clicked in my mind.

“Why haven’t you let yourself known earlier? I did call out to you. Twice.” I asked, my hands on my hips, feeling vexed.

He looked at me, surprised at my question. “You’re sharp.” He said, his expression somewhat impressed.

“Well, I was just taking a nap and minding my own business. Then as I woke up, I saw you tying up trees like some hostage.” He explained in a teasing manner. “Then as it seemed your about to hang out this area for some time, I decided to move to another area where I can continue sleeping.”

Huh. So from his explanation, it seemed that he’s already gone before I entered the forest. Then was it my imagination of the sensation of being followed earlier? Am I too anxious during this lifetime?

Lost in my thoughts, I didn’t notice immediately as the boy stood up. Patting his clothes, he approached to where I am and whispered in my ear.

“How about you, Miss? May you also consider this curiosity of mine of what you were doing earlier?” He asked, his breath giving a tickling sensation to my ear. I stiffened and put a distance between us.

“What am I doing? Didn’t you saw it? I was just keeping guard earlier.” I frowned as I gave the excuse I thought up earlier.

“Oh?” He crossed his arms. “From what you said earlier, there seems a festival happening at your place. And from the looks of what you are wearing as well,” He drawled as he scanned my dress that was already in a sorry state. “--- it seemed you are in the middle of attending the festivity. What made you suddenly come here and decided to do a guard duty?” He inquired as he tilted his head, looking at me curiously.

“How about you?” I asked him. “What made you come here in the middle of nowhere and decided to have a nap in the forest? That man from earlier, do you know him? Are you and him playing some kind of hide-and-seek?” A dangerous one with a dagger and poison included? And a one boy against five armed men? I internally added.

We stared at each other in silence.

“Point taken.” He finally conceded, raising both hands in surrender.

Just then an exclaiming voice was heard in the distance.

“We finally found you!” It shouted exasperatingly.

Both of us turned our heads in the direction of the sound and saw two figures on the dusty road approaching the forest. As they came nearer, I saw it was a pair of boys who look identical with each other, with one wearing glasses.

“Your acquaintances?” I asked the person beside me.

“The ones I’m supposed to meet up here.” He confirmed.

When they reached where we are, the one without glasses complained.

“Seriously, man? Are you planning to make us roam the ends of the earth?”

“We almost got lost looking for this place as it didn’t appear on map. Good thing we came across a village and they pointed us here.” Remarked by the one with glasses, sighing. Then they finally noticed me and closed their mouths shut in surprise.

“H-hello.” The boy with glasses awkwardly stammered a greeting.

“Good day.” I greeted back, nodding, and turned to the boy beside me, holding out the dagger again. “I’ll be going back now to my village. Thanks again for the dagger. Here, please take it back.”

The boy stared at me once more but did not take the dagger. Just as I began to be irritated and snap back at him, he suddenly reached a hand towards the side of my face and touch my tied-up hair. Startled, I froze on the spot. I felt my hair tumbling down my shoulders.

As the boy retracted his hand, I saw him holding the white silk ribbon that I used to tie my hair.

“Keep the dagger. In return, I’ll take this ribbon instead.” He bargained, keeping the ribbon in his chest pocket.

“W-what…” I sputtered, my eyes going wide with his brazenness. Who said I wanted your dagger?

“Well then, my fair lady. We’ll be saying our farewells at this point. Hope that fate would allow us to meet again.” He said in gentle manner as he bowed and extended an arm, acting like a gentleman.

You mean may fate not allow me to cross paths with you again. Just one encounter with the scary armed men is enough for me. I thought as I rolled my eyes at him and began walking back to the village. I slightly smiled at the other two boys as I passed by them.

Glancing up the sky, swirls of orange and purple began to appear as the evening approaches.

I might have to change my clothes before going back to the plaza. Is what I thought as I walk briskly away from the forest and to the mysterious red-haired boy with clever eyes.

 

----------

 

“Who is she?” the boy without the glasses, whose name was Gio, asked the red-haired boy.

“Just someone interesting.” Replied by the red-haired boy as he watched the girl’s silhouette gradually disappear.

“If I didn’t know better, I’d say you were just having a romantic rendezvous that’s why you chose this hard to find place.” Gio leered, touching his chin in a manner like he just solved some difficult problem.

The red-haired boy lazily stared at him, raising one of his eyebrows.

The other boy resembling him but is wearing glasses, Dan, rolled his eyes and mumbled, “Idiot.”

“Anything new happened while I was napping?” the red-haired asked Dan.

“Nothing too obvious. Just your Uncle asking us where you’ve been.” Dan replied as he fixed his glasses.

“Huh. What a thoughtful Uncle he is.” The red-haired sneered. “Since he’s looking for me, I must not disappoint him and let him see me tomorrow to his heart’s content. Let’s go.”

Then as if remembering something, he paused. He took out white piece of silk from his pocket and stared at it.

“Dan, you said you came across a village before finding your way here?” He asked the boy with glasses.

“Yes.” Dan nodded. “It’s a small village called Verdant. Coincidentally, they are celebrating one of their spring festivals today and it will last until evening.” He continued, recalling the information he remembered about this small community.

“It looks like they’re having an egg hunt earlier. We saw many kids scurrying around shouting and holding painted-eggs.” Gio added.

Recalling the girl who handed out an egg-shaped colorful object to the three kids who wanted to sneaked in the forest earlier. The red-haired boy smiled and caressed the piece of silk he’s holding.

“Just nice. Those men who’s chasing me earlier are still around and might wait near my residence. Let’s rest and let them tire out first. Let’s go check out that village and its festivity.” He decided and walked towards the village.

The two brothers just stared at the red-haired then at each other before catching up to him.

 

----------

 

As the evening envelops the sky, the forest, now it visitors gone, became a silent and eerie place. From the distance, you could see a brightened part of the horizon, where the Verdant Village is having their Vitellus Festival.

In the place where the girl, the boy, and the boy’s companions, somebody is slowly walking outside the forest towards it. Without making any noise, it slowly approached and stopped its tracks as it gazes where the bright light of the bonfire is soaring.

Trailing after it is a huge canine creature wrapped up in brown fur with a white-tip bushy tail. As the creature approached its master, you could notice it limping gait, one of its legs were wrapped up in a stained cloth. The creature let out a satisfied rumble as its master rubbed its head.

“You’ve done well earlier, my dear.” Praised its master.

“And how kind for them taking care of you.” It remarked as it saw the cloth wrapped around the animal’s leg. The creature let out a small howl as if agreeing.

“Many things have changed.” The master suddenly said, raising his head towards the sky, and began speaking in a solemn and mysterious tone.

“Tonight’s a full moon. An end and a beginning.”

“The wheels are turning. New paths have been created. But it seemed that there are things still meant to be.”

Then as if he found something amusing, he began to laugh.

“It looks like we both are fortunate to witness many interesting things from now on.” He looked at his pet fondly, rubbing its head.

 

And, yay! Hi! It's been a while. A Blessed 2021 to everyone! I honestly miss writing this. TwT

Hope you have nice time reading and enjoyed the story! Keep safe always!

0