New Beginings
17 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Judy Hopps had been a straight A student since kindergarten, and so it was no surprise when she skipped a grade and graduated a year early. Her dream of becoming a big city cop had always been seen as strange, but it gave her the drive that helped her to grow rapidly. She enrolled in college immediately and was about to board the train out of Bunnyburrow. She was headed to a small college town just outside city limits to take her college courses and visit the city she was so determined to serve in... Zootopia. The city where anyone can be anything and even a bunny could make the world a better place.

 

"We are going to miss you dear," her mother Bonnie Hopps said as she hugged her daughter. "I wish you would stay so that we could be sure you're safe."

 

"I'll be fine mom, she said as she tried not to allow the tears behind her eyes flow like the waterfalls they wished to become. Stu on the other hand was a blubbering mess as she gripped him in a hug. "I'll be okay Dad. I'm just going to college. It's not like you won't ever see me again, "she said as her tears finally began to spring to the surface.

 

"JUDY!" Her friend an arctic wolf named Amanda yelled from over the heads of the crowd waiting to send her off.

 

"AMANDA! Guys clear a path please!" Judy yelled over the chaos.

 

Amanda ran forward and threw her arms around Judy and hugged her with such ferocity she popped Judy's back. She stepped back quickly apologizing and checking to make sure Judy was okay.

 

"Amanda don't fuss I'm fine. Don't you remember in gym when I took down that hippo? Not much you can do to hurt me unless you're really trying." Judy laughed as her friend continued to check her over.

 

"I'm going to miss you so much Jude, but you are going to be an amazing cop someday. Study hard and whatever you do don't get involved with those good for nothing frat houses. Okay?"

 

Judy looked at her friend with a raised eyebrow, "do you really think I'd waste my time with good for nothing dudes who only care about getting drunk and getting lucky? You of all mammals should know my focus is going to be on my classes."

 

"I know that but people change when they go to college. My sister was a no nonsense mammal and once she ran off to collage that changed. I just want you to be careful okay?" She said looking at Judy with concern.

Judy was known for running off half cocked and trying to take care of everyone even if it meant she did something stupid and nearly got hurt herself.

Judy hugged her friend hard "I'll be fine Amanda I promise. You still going to write to me? It would be nice to have a penpal to keep me up to date on what is being said about me from the rumor mill."

 

"You write me first and you know I'll always find time to reply. Your my best friend and you know I'll always have time for you. I'll see you in about a year when I finally graduate and can join you. You may be going to be a cop but I'm going to get the best agricultural degree I can and have the best farm in the Triburrows. Your family excluded of course" she said sending a wink towards Bonnie who had agreed to help her go to school when she graduated.

 

Judy stepped toward the train grabbing her bags and preparing to leave. She turned to face the crowd of friends and family and raised her free paw waving as the door closed. The crowd erupted into calls of "by Jude" and "We'll miss you" and even through the door the ruckus was loud enough that it sounded as though they were right beside her yelling into her ears.

 

She decided it was time to find her seat as the train lurched forward, so she began down the corridor. All the seats were full except for one that was right next to a red fox. His russet fur was gleaming and looked extremely fluffy, but she was hesitant to sit beside him. She wasn't prejudiced, but her parents had warned her that many mammals from Zootopia were untrustworthy. In the end it was the only seat so she sat beside him.

She glanced up and notice his fur on his muzzle was slightly shorter than it should be and that he had tear tracks running down the side. She was observing him when he looked at her with piercing green eyes. She was mesmerized for a moment before quickly looking down and blushing.

 

A russet paw with short claws that looked too small for his paw appeared in her vision. "Nick Wild" the fox said with what appeared to be a laid back attitude that screamed nothing was bothering him.

 

Judy looked back into those emeralds he called eyes before slowly taking his paw and shaking it "Judy Hopps. Pleased to meet you."

 

"So Miss Hopps, where are you headed?" He asked with a slight smirk on his muzzle.

"I'm heading off to college myself. Trying to get away from my cousins and live my life"

 

"I'm headed to college too" she said while watching his reaction and raising her ears.

"Where are you from?" She had assumed he was from Zootopia since she hadn't seen him in the triburows before.

 

"I'm from Bunnyburrow, but I didn't leave the house at all. My cousin made sure I was not known about to anyone for reasons I won't go into. Nothing sinister on my part mind you but something I'm not ok with discussing just yet" he said while his smirk never left his face. "what are you going to do in college?"

 

Judy bit her lip wondering what he was hidden for before responding "I'm going to get a degree in criminal justice. I'm going to be a police officer. The world seems to be against the idea so I decided the more schooling I have and the harder I study the better my chance of being accepted at the academy." Her voice had picked up as she passionately spoke about her dream to this stranger and she was hoping she didn't scare him off with her enthusiasm.

 

Nick was impressed with her complete optimism at her dream and was about to compliment her, but instead he hid behind his mask as usual and decided on a different approach to see just how dedicated she was. "Well Carrots I must say that's a little outside the mold. Didn't your family just all become farmers? I thought that was all any rabbit wanted to do."

 

Judy glared at him for a moment but decided to be just as snarky and replied, "well you do look kind of like a giant carrot and I forgot my lunch so you may want to refrain from food related puns." She put on a smirk to match his and decided to see if he was light heartedly teasing or being serious. "Besides I don't like fitting the mold. I'd much prefer breaking it and starting over. I want to make the world a better place. So you better watch your step Mr Wilde or I may be arresting you someday."

 

The tod laughed and decided she may turn into a good friend. "Well maybe you can help me decide what I want to do with MY life since you already figured yours out. I just wanted to get away from my cousin and this was the first opportunity."

 

"Who was your cousin? And why did he keep you away from everyone?"

 

"You probably know him. The town jerk Gideon Grey. He tormented me daily so I had to get away. He even shaved my muzzle a month ago when I tried leaving the house to go see some other mammals."

 

"that's terrible. I'm sure you heard what he did to me when we were 9. Has he always been such a jerk?" she asked while still absentmindedly holding his paw.

 

"I wouldn't know. I was living in Zootopia for most of my life until my dad was killed and I got sent to live with Gid. That was about six months ago."

 

"I'm sorry. No mammal should have to go through that."

 

The two mammals continued to chat and learn about each other on their way into college. They had much to talk about as they had 'never met' and therefore knew nothing about each other. Will they remember some day? Who knows?

1