chapter 21
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 21

Jake took a step forward, raising his blade as though ready to defend and size up his opponent. Shu stayed in his fighting stance sword slightly to his right ready to use his left for quick jabs and redirection of his blade. Ill study his fighting style and see if I spot any weakness so you can focus on the fight. Just be prepared for my assistance and let me help Nick said in their shared minds. Shu nodded and feigned to the right before attacking head on raising his blade high and bringing it crashing down.

Jake blocked easily and followed up by sweeping Shu's feet. As he hit the ground, he saw the tip of Jakes sword aimed at his heart. He palmed the blade to the side where the blade plunged deep into the earth nicking their side as it went opening a very shallow wound. Wincing he rolled to his side before jumping up and swiping at jakes head hoping to decapitate him before he could free his own blade. His sword impacted something unseen and realized Jake had erected a barrier.

"Clever move" Jake commented as he removed his blade and wiped it clean on his pants. "I figured you would have skill, but I was unsure of your true ability. This shield as you know protects me from all physical attacks for a minute but makes me immobile. Perfect in case I need to heal myself mid battle. Too bad you don't know this spell yet." He smirked at Shu and raised his blade ready for another assault.

Shu decided small talk was beneath him and refused to respond. Instead he searched for any signs of weakness in the tall creature. When he cast that spell, he left himself vulnerable. Do you know any crater spells or explosion spells? Nick asked. No. here ill reveal my combat skills to you so you can help me come up with a plan. Brute force alone wont work. We must do this together. Shu said to Nick and unlocked part of his mind so Nick could share his strategies.

Nick was shocked when he suddenly had images and memories that were not his. A headache began to form from the shock and confusion of the whole situation, but he ignored it and focused. This fight decided the fate of both involved and the women on the side. He would not let Judy down. He began to go through the few spells Shu knew and try thinking of new ideas.

While Nick was doing all this Jake resumed his assault. He attacked several times in quick succession, causing Shu to have to parry and block instead of being able to strike. He was retreating as he did so and soon found himself backed into a corner. Jake took one final swing and knocked the sword from his hands and over the rocks. He pointed his blade and the foxes throat and held firm. "If you concede Ill make your death quick and painless. If you continue to fight Ill imprison you again." He said triumphantly his eyes glowing brighter at the prospect of victory.

Quick When he jabs you duck and pull a pair of rapiers from the stone at your feet. I have a plan but its going to be risky. We have to make it look good. Nick shouted from the depths of their shared consciousness. Shu put his paws up and waited for the strike. Jake thrust and Nick's plan was put into action. Shu dropped and as fast as he could cast the spells to pull a pair of rapiers up and was able to defend against Jakes hasty downswing in an x block. Temporarily stopping his blade in the center. Shu grabbed the blade and pushed to the left causing him to stumble and giving Shu the leverage to swipe at his feet and break his root.

As he fell, the Shu got above him and used gravity and his strength to drive his blades deep into the Huskey's chest. Jake cried out in anger and pain as the small fox's weight settled on top of him. He looked from the blades through his chest to the fox holding them there. He started the words of a spell and before anyone could react Shu was lifted into the air. A ball of fire formed around him and fully engulfed him. Jake stood as the fox burned and removed the blades before healing himself. He turned to watch the fox be burned to death when a scowl crossed his face. In the center of the flames there appeared to be a rock, but nothing else. He searched around him when Shu attacked from behind with a cross guard sword. He parried at the last moment and returned to the assault.

A few quick moves later and He successfully knocked the sword out of the smaller mammals' paws and swept his feet as he had done in the beginning of the fight. As Shu fell Jake took aim and drove the blade as deep as he could at the fox's chest. As before it was palmed aside, and it sank deep into the ground. Shu tried grabbing his sword and striking when he hit a forcefield. Thinking quickly, he cast a quick fortification spell. Jake froze.

"So, you can sense it. Good." Shu said putting his sword to the side. "My counterpart had a great idea. Get you to cast a force field and fortify it from the outside. This makes the field last longer. And now that your trapped I can make it, so you die as soon as it fades." He said sounding triumphant but grim. He quickly cast a levitation spell and made the field and its unwitting captive raise a few feet from the ground. Then he cast a spike spell beneath it and set it alite with a blue flame. "This is a trap made to make you feel as much pain as if you were tortured for centuries but will incinerate your flesh in a matter of seconds. This is goodbye and good riddance." He said looking at the shield as it began to flicker.

Judy/Oma stepped up beside him "I'm glad you will suffer" Oma said glaring at the evil creature. "I hope you truly die this time."

The shield faded and Jake dropped screaming onto the spikes. In his pain and desperation, he tore a few spikes free and threw them into the air in random directions as he could not see. He was quickly burned to nothing more than ash as the spikes flew away and up. One was true to his foul deeds and flew straight toward the group. As they watched helpless to stop it, it went straight through a fox's chest. Pinning them to the ground.

"Judy!" Nick yelled taking full control and rushing quickly to her side. She raised a shaking paw and he took it as he watched blood seep from the side of her mouth. She smiled up at him and tried to say something. "Don't speak Judy I know there is a way to save you. Just hold on. Shu is there any way to heal her?" He asked aloud.

Unfortunately, the healing spell I know can't replace an entire heart. But I know one thing we can try. If it works, she will resume her form fully healed. But you must relinquish control now. He said quickly.

Nick tottered on the edge of wanting to help and trusting Shu. He looked down at her dyeing form and with a tear in his eye spoke to her for what may be his last time. "Judy you have to let Oma take control. Shu has a plan, but he needs her. I love you with all my heart, and I'm going to trust him to save you. Don't give up, and ill see you soon." He quickly relinquished control and allowed Shu to do what needed to be done.

Shu waisted no time. He cast a healing spell to prevent her from bleeding out, and then a numbing spell. He grasped the spike with both paws and pulled sharply hoping she would not feel this. It took three sharp pulls, but it finally relinquished its hold and he was able to rip it from her chest. Openly crying now, he cradled her to him. "Oma, I was hoping we would have more time together, but fate is not so kind. I need you to know I love you and I intend to see you in the afterlife. I know you feel the same. I love you with all my heart, and I will see you soon my love." He spoke franticly and holding back sobs he kissed her deeply. A kiss of true love that had not been seen in this castle for many generations. He stepped back and pressed their foreheads together. A glow surrounded them, and the plants under them grew around them forming a closed in sphere. The plants grew down from the top and began to grow deep within their skin.

They suddenly ripped to the sides, and Oma and Shu were ripped from bodies that were not theirs to inhabit. Nick and Judy fell to the ground unconscious. The souls now encased in the plants were slowly raised to the roof and aloud to slowly drift away to whatever awaited them on the other side. Nick and Judy were absorbed into the ground and disappeared.

Nick woke in a jolt and began searching for Judy. He turned around and found her on the ground behind him. Rushing to her side He brushed the grey fur of her cheek searching for signs of life. He noticed her breathing, and the slight twitch of her left ear. "Judy?" he nearly whispered trying to believe what he was seeing. The hole in her chest was gone. She was back in her own body and if the plan worked, she would be ok.

"Nick?" she asked as she peeked her eyes open and found his eyes. "You wouldn't believe the dream I had." She said as she sat up. She looked around and seeing the top of the tower grew confused. "How did we get here?" she asked turning to Nick.

Now that he knew she was ok he took in his surroundings and noticed they were on the castle where the statue had been. It was now gone, however. "I'm not sure how we got here, but that was not a dream." He looked her in the eyes and stroked her ears. "I thought id lost you." He said holding back a sob.

Judy thought for a moment and her face relaxed as she realized what he had done to keep her safe. Instead of saying anything she pulled him down by his neck and kissed him deeply. In the midst of the brain fogging passion she began to feel the sensation of floating. Breaking the kiss, she leaned her forehead against his before realizing the sensation wasn't going away. She looked down and they were a few feet off the ground.

They shared a look before his changed to one of deep concentration and they slowly settled down. "Guess I learned a few things from my temporary companion." He said smirking.

"You better keep them under wraps. I don't want you getting into trouble or being experimented on." She joked. "Let's head back to camp. I'm not sure how long we have been gone, but your newfound powers will have to wait. For now, we need to get back to the real world."

He took her paw, "Id follow you anywhere my lovely bunny" He said grinning. Paw in paw they headed down the stairs and back to whatever else life held for them.

0