Chapter 1, Part 1: A Challenge!
12 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
Greetings! From this chapter forth I will be revealing how each character looks like. Please bear in mind that I do not own these images and it is the property of the respective creator, and if they so wish to have me pull it down, I will do so happily. These images are only here for the better imaginative experience, references if you will. The Character is revealed at the end of the chapter. Kudos!

I closed the huge, bulky book in front of me and closed my eyes, trying to process the meaning of the information that I had just got.

Even though the information makes sense but somehow it doesn't make sense to me at the same time. I know I am contradicting my own words but that is how I feel.

 

Ever since I was born in this world, all I have heard is power, retaliation, fight, battle, and war. I feel no guilt to say that I do not like the ways of this world. Compared to the previous world this world is a chaotic counterpart.

Oh, seems like I forgot to introduce myself. These trains of thought never stop you know. But, forget that, my name is Ricardo Dinnar and I am currently a student in Canaan Dimensional Academy for Magic.

I am born of a farmer family in a village on the outskirts of the capital city of Canaan, Dunkirk. The name of my village is Gaberu. But only I am aware of my original identity. It's kind of a secret.

 

My original name is Jack Flamel and I lived in Red County, on a planet called Earth. My parents were renowned surgeons and I was their only child. But on the night of July 21st, 2018, me and my best friend Sam, got in a car accident. And I lost my consciousness.

But when I woke up, I was in a room, and somebody was holding me. I tried to speak but the only words that came out from my mouth were, 'Gu, gu, gu' and 'Ga, ga, ga'.

That was when it dawned on me, I had turned into a baby, in fact, I had probably died in that car crash and reborn to a different world as a baby. Of course, all my memories from my previous life was still intact.

 

Thus, I began a new life, in a new world, with a new family. Amazingly I discovered that this world worked on magic. Which I thought was pretty cool. Being an MMORPG fan myself, I tried my hands with magic but it turned out to be very hard. So, I began to train my magic powers, borrowing tons of books I could get my hands on, and learning spells, or that is what I tell people and what I think happened, to be honest i don't know exactly how I gained my knowledge in magic. My memories are blurry and whenever I try to recall, my head begins to hurt. So I refrain myself to think about my childhood as much as possible.

 

The important fact that you cannot neglect about this world is that this world worships power, I learned it the hard way. There are reasons for it which I think is just hogwash for nobles to take advantage of poorer weaker commoners. But I can't say what I believe out loud. I have learned my lessons well.

 

I am fascinated by magic though and I wish to be a magician for the Royal Army or someone who researches magic. I could not fulfill my dreams and ambition in my previous life. So, in this life, I want no regrets, I have decided to work hard to reach my goal.

And that led me to join Canaan Dimensional Academy for Magic, the best academy in magic, to further my knowledge and skills. I thought joining this academy would help me make my dreams into reality. But I was too naive to think that it would be so easy. Coming from a farmer family, I was and am treated as a lowly commoner with no significant importance by the students who come from a noble family.

'Ricardo,'

Someone called me from behind. I turned around to see a lean, handsome guy in a white uniform. There were three guys lurking behind him. All of them had an evil sneer.

I heaved a sigh.

The guy who called me is Ronan Valkyrie, the son of a noble family of Valkyrie and the guys lurking behind are his minions, Satou, Beldar, and Jung.

'What's up Ronan?'

I calmly asked him. He has been trying really hard to sully my name for the past few months. He and I, well we somewhat share a history.

'How dare you call Master Valkyrie by his first name, you filthy commoner,'

The one who spoke was Satou, he was enraged. Satou is Ronan's sort of a right hand. He is all muscle-brain and does not think before he acts. In my eyes, he is like a loyal dog, maybe it's time I should lower his perception to that of a pesky pest.

'Silence, Satou,' Ronan ordered in a condescending tone.

'But, Master,'

Satou tried to argue but one glance from Ronan was enough to silence him. Then he turned to me, with an evil smile.

'You must be very brave to call me by my name Ricardo, be thankful to the academy that grants you this protection and confidence. Otherwise, a filthy commoner like you would not even be allowed to stand in front of my greatness,'

'Is that all?' I ask, I was bored listening to the same words every day.

'Why you--'

Ronan was about to say something wrong in rage but he calmed himself down, recovering his poise, he gave out a short laugh.

'Provoking eh? A classic trick in the book,'

Ronan wrongly interpreted my words, I was not provoking him; I was just not interested in him.

'Anyways, be prepared to face your doom soon, Ricardo, because very soon, I will crush you in the upcoming tournament,'

He turned around to leave after warning me and his lackeys followed behind him.

Geez, what a pain in the ass those guys are. I thought.

Speaking of which, it’s a good thing that he reminded me of the tournament. There will be many others like him who would want to bring me down and take away my title. The Round Table Tournament, it's frightening but I am up for a challenge.

It's been like this with Ronan ever since I got in this academy. You see, I am here on scholarship because the academy finds my skills in magic to be very valuable and also because I was recommended. But being a commoner receiving special treatment from the academy makes me a target of envy among other students from a noble family, Ronan being one of them.

It is said that I am the first commoner in the history of the academy to have received a white uniform in my first year. In this academy, the color of the uniform we hear determines our status and rank. Students in white uniforms are considered excellent students as compared to the students in black.

Normally all-black uniformed students, often disparagingly called Blackies, are commoners because they don't get magic lessons from an early age. Learning magic requires books and practice resources which are expensive. So, commoners who usually can't afford such expensive resources don't learn magic early. Whereas in the case of nobles, they are given the state of the art equipment to raise their skill in magic that is why most white-uniformed students, often called Whites are nobles.

Now there are some Blackies who amazingly improved their skill and got promoted to the status of Whites all on their own, with sheer effort and hard work. But no commoner was accepted as white from the very start except me. Thus making me the ultimate target of envy,

 

If I say so, honestly I don’t really enjoy having this many haters. All I desire is to seek peace and just have fun doing the things I love to do.

But like I said before, it's a naïve thought.

0