Black Panthers
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

السلام عليكم

 السلام عليكم 

      They greet each other. “My brothers and sisters and I are just discussing the state of the movement and our future goals.” Huey explains to them. Huey leads them into a backroom to talk. “How was the trip over? Not too much trouble I hope.” Huey inquires. “Oooo you know me Huey I make my way one way or another.” Quiet replies. “And your friends here?” Huey asks. “Yeah, this is Stan and Dariűse.” Quiet answers. “Ahhh the infamous Mortificator. I have heard so much about you.” Huey says towards Stan. “None of it good I'm assuming.” Stan laughs awkwardly.

           Huey smiles back. “That's not for me to judge. So Quiet how are things with the G.B.P.? What brings you all here today?” Huey asks. “Huey you know I'm not in that business no more. I'm here cause my boy here needs some help.” Quiet replies. “I need to get a meeting with Mansa. I have info on the G.B.P that I think will interest him and the N.O.A.” Stan cuts in. “Let me take a wild guess at what the info is? The G.B.P is tryna move their way into the N.O.A. They have been secretly for years tryna bribe and corrupt the governments of the N.O.A They have been funding drugs in the South, warlords in the east, and rigging elections here along the northwest. And best of all I'm guessing you have hardcore evidence of this to prove your claims.” Huey replies unimpressed.

         Stan has a kind of a stunned/dumbfounded look on his face for a second. “Well yeah.” He responds. “Look around you Stan. Look at the state of the world. You think that's some kinda secret. Government corruption, poverty, oppression, colonization, starvation, tyranny, prejudice, misinformation and undereducation. People fighting just to survive for one more day. What do you have to say that hasn't already been said before?” Huey demands.

             Stan takes that in for a second. I guess it had never occurred to Stan in all his years of playing in the games to actually look around and observe the state of the world around him. Outside of what he could see and the G.B.P portrays. This somehow only made Stan angrier. “So what is everybody doing about this?” Huey looks at Stan for a second stunned. “What are we not tryna do about it? What are you tryna do about it? What is anyone doing about it? What am I to take my brothers and sisters and march them on to the streets and wage war on the N.O.A? Here in Algeria the Panther Party prospers, but outside this country the fight for Africa's people is a hard fought one.” Huey spits back. The room is silent for a second. As Stan feels a sense of overwhelming defeat wash over him. “I'm sorry Huey. I didn't mean any offense, but if there is any way you can help us get a meeting with Mansa I would be in your debt. We have information that the G.B.P might be planning on assassinating him if meetings between the two don't go well. With Mansa's resources he might be able to help me figure out why I'm in the middle of all this and why it had to cost me my wife?” Stan pleads with Huey.

         Huey thinks for a moment. Then he looks at Stan directly and says. “So, what you plan to save his life in hopes of getting his help in return? Boy, there's not only a lot about this world you don't know my brother, but there's even more about the G.B.P that you clearly haven't seen. But since you are dead set on seeing the king I guess I can help you in finding the answers you seek. The king hosts tournaments every so often for a chance of having dinner with him. Keeps him connected to Africa's people he says. Anyways the different countries pick their top talent to compete. As you can imagine, a chance meeting with the single most powerful man in Africa is an honor beyond a lot in Africa.” He explains to Stan.

        “So I just need to win one of these tournaments then.” Stan replies hopefully. “They aren't just open to anyone. The games of Africa, unlike the G.B.P are based in African traditions from all over. These competitors represent not only their countries but their ancestors and traditions. That's why you must be chosen to go compete. Anyone can be chosen though, but most times it's a champion of some kind from that country.” Huey explains.

      “So how does this help me?” Stan questions. “Well I just so happen to have some pull in Algeria and Algeria doesn't often send competitors. So I might be able to convince them you have been chosen by Algeria.” Huey replies. “Sweet so when's the next tournament?” Stan asks excitedly. “The king will be holding some combat tournaments in about 3 weeks or so. I should be able to make something happen for you guys before then. In the meantime you can repay me by helping out. Show me what you are tryna do about the problem.” Huey tells Stan.

        Stan stands to shake Huey's hand. “Thank you Huey. I will do all I can to help out. And I promise to talk to Mansa. You may have given up hope on his help, but who knows maybe he just needs a reminder of the state that everything is in.” Stan says. “Let's hope so. I appreciate it, my brother. I will have someone find you guys an apartment to stay in till the tournament.” Huey replies before seeing them out.

            Once they were in the apartment set up for them, they sit down to smoke and drink a little. “Level with me man. What's up? Why you so against this?” Stan asks Quiet. “What your crusade or whatever you wanna call it?” Quiet replies. “Why you gotta be like this?” Stan inquires. “What else would you like for me to call it?” Quiet responds. “Ok so what we just go about our lives and keep letting the G.B.P get away with all the fucked up shit they been doing all these years?” Stan replies. “Like you fucking care. We all know why you're here now instead of back in your little state the art gym training more murders and maniacs for those sick, twisted, fucked up games.” Quiet spits back matter of factly. “Look I never said I was proud of the life I once lived or the things I once did.” Stan says regretfully. “Then do us all a favor and quit acting like your on some fucking righteous quest to right the wrongs they've done. You want revenge Stan. Plain and simple.”

      Stan becomes enraged. “And what's so fucking wrong with that? Why does my personal motives matter if I intend to do something good in the process? Would you not also want justice if someone killed and destroyed everything you loved?” Stan says angrily. “You want revenge and now you tryna drag the world into a war to do it.” Quiet states coldly. “This coming from the nigga who fought the G.B.P to a stand still.” Stan replies.

       He looks over to Dariűse, who has been trying to stay out of it. “Yeah that big ass fucking wall that we call "The Line". It's there cause of this mother fucker.” He turns back to Quiet. “So what were your motives? Hu? What makes what you did any different from what I'm doing?” “Fuck you Stan. You have no idea what I went through, what I had to do, and the shit I have seen or know now because of it all. Just for it all to be for nothing. I didn't help anyone or make anyone's life any better let alone my own.” Quiet responds. “Well I'm gonna see this through. I'm not gonna just disappear and leave everyone wondering what it was all for.” Stan says back coldly. “Fuck you Stan you're the worst friend ever. The last time I saw you, you said you were gonna change the world. Well I now see how that turned out, Mr. Mortificator. Fuck you go have your war on your own.” Quiet leaves the apartment. 

       “Am I wrong for wanting them to pay for what they did?” Stan asks. “Every man conquers the forest differently, but we all strive to survive another day.” With that Dariűse gets up and goes to his room. Stan just sits there wallowing in his thoughts. Quiet makes his way to one of the kitchens in the building. He sits down and orders a bottle. Huey comes walking down the hall and spots Quiet in the kitchen.

        “Hey I was just coming to find you and Stan. The Old Head is throwing a party to celebrate his move to politics. It will be down in South Africa.” Huey tells him. Huey notices the half empty bottle. “What's eating at you my brother?” He asks. Quiet takes a swig of the bottle and shakes his head, not wanting to talk. Huey sits there for a second. Quiet finally speaks. “I just sometimes wonder if it's worth all of this? I mean what you're fighting for?” Huey chuckles. “You might as well question why we breathe my brother? If we stop breathing we'll die. If we stop fighting our enemies the world will die.” “And what of it? It'll be out of it's misery.” Quiet replies. He takes another swig of the bottle. Huey chuckles. “You know what you sound like my brother? You sound like someone who's tryna convince himself of something he doesn't believe in his heart. You stood for something once you know.” “And what good did it do me? What did it do for anyone?” Quiet responds.

       “You gave them true freedom from tyranny and oppression. Noone said a life without those things would be easy. You did what you could, what you felt was right.” Huey tells him. “And made everyone's life worse as a result.” Quiet says. “The right thing to do is always the hardest and takes the longest to bear fruit. Look why don't you go to that party and see The Old Head. You and Stan used to work for him in your younger years right?” Huey suggests. “Something like that.” Quiet responds. “So go see The Old Head? Maybe remind you of the good ole days. Before all that, back when the world was way simpler.” Huey says.

       Quiet thinks for a second. Then shakes his head in agreement. “Maybe you're right. Do me a favor though? Don't tell Stan he left that life a long time ago. Plus he clearly has his mind set on his crusade.” Quiet tells him. “Fair enough. Your friend does seem to be one who sets his mind to something and goes after it. Even if he's going in blind and out matched.”

      They both chuckle. “Yeah. Unfortunately Stan's always been that way. Swear the guy thinks he's some kinda superhero that's gonna save the world or some shit one day.” Quiet responds. “Well someone has to, right?” Huey says. “And you think someone like Stan deserves to be a hero?” Quiet asks. “Does anyone deserve to be a hero or are good people constantly forced to do the right thing for goodness sake?” Huey asks. Quiet couldn't think of a reason to argue with Huey. So he decides to not respond and go back to drinking his bottle. “I won't tell Stan. But you shouldn't be so hard on your fellow brother. Everyone has a past, things we regret that we wish we could take back. You and I know this and Stan is now living it. So at least try to understand.” Huey pleads with Quiet. With that Huey stands up and leaves the kitchen. Quiet sits alone finishing his drink.

End of fourteenth issue????

0