Chapter one Hundred and Eight: Altria Goes Home
1.4k 7 37
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Not long after we had sat down at our table a waitress came over to check on us.

“Hi there, would you like to order some drinks?” She asked.

She made her way around the table taking everyone’s order.

“Thanks. We’re still serving lunch. Do you want the menu?”

“Yes please, we were planning on eating.” Replied Lillia.

“Okay, here you go.” The waitress said handing over five menus.

Having taken the drinks order she left us to look over the menu, whilst she went and poured our drinks. The group fell silent for a moment while we were choosing what to eat. It was only a basic pub menu, but I was happy enough with that.

“Do we have much planned for tomorrow Lillia?” Asked Altria.

“Nothing that we have to do. I was thinking we could take Theo to some of the sights while we were here. Why, was there something you wanted to do?”

“Well…” Altria fidgeted. “It’s not necessarily something that I wanted to do, but, well my mother contacted me. She wants me to come and see her.”   

“Then go and see her if you want to. It won’t interfere with anything that we need to do. You don’t normally worry about things like that.”

“The thing is, I think she’s a little worried and well, she asked if I could bring the whole party with me. She wants to meet the others.”

“Well, I suppose we could all go. I don’t see a problem with it as long as no one else minds.”

“Fine with me.” I said. I was kind of interested to see what Altria’s family were like.

“I’d be happy to go too.” Replied Serin.

“Sure, I’ll come.” Added Siofra.

“Looks like we're all going to come. Why do you think she’s worried about you? Did she ask about the summoning?” Asked Lillia.

“No, she hasn’t said anything. She said she wanted to meet everyone after hearing about the success of our quest, but I’m sure she is going to mention that…” Altria explained.

“You know, you are going to have to do it eventually, that or you know… Have you been given the time limit yet?”

“No, but it’s coming. Even the catkin will enforce the rules eventually…”

Altria looked troubled by it, and she was normally so easy going.

“Will your mother give you a hard time about it when we go to see her?” I asked.

“No, she won’t. She’ll just remind me of my duties and what will happen if I don’t fulfil them.”

“Why do you look so worried?”

“She never asks me to visit her like this, and well inviting the entire party like that. It feels like she’s up to something…”

“Maybe she just wants to see you and congratulate you in person?”

“I doubt it.”

“What’s your mother like? Should we be worried?”

“You don’t need to worry Theo. She’s a lot like Altria.” Lillia said cutting in.

“You’ve met her before?”

“Of course, I’ve met all of the heads of the royal houses.”

Ah, yeah. She was a princess, I guess it would be strange if she hadn’t members of the other royal families.

“She’s not usually interested in what I’m up to or tries to interfere like this. That’s why it feels like something is up.” Said Altria.

“You’ll find out tomorrow anyway, no point in worrying about it now. I’m sure it will be fine.” I said trying to reassure her.

Not long afterwards the waitress returned with our drinks and we placed our food orders. We stayed in that place for a few hours before venturing back into the town. We took the scenic route back to the guild house, stopping for the evening meal on the way back. It was late evening before we made our way back to the guild house.

“I’ll say goodnight to you all here. I’m staying at one of the boarding houses down the road.” Siofra said as we reached the foot of the steps leading to the guild.

“Night then Siofra.” Said Lillia.

“What time do you want to meet tomorrow? When is your mother expecting us Altria?” Asked Siofra.

“I said we would arrive just after ten, so meet outside the guild for nine?” Replied Altria.

“Right, okay. I’ll see you all here. Night.”

Siofra waved as she headed down the street to the boarding house. She must have arrived in the city after we had, as we took one of the last rooms they had. I was half expecting the guild to be a little emptier than it had been, as the ritual had happened now. It wasn’t. The place was just as heaving as it had been when we arrived in town. Once inside we all headed upstairs to our room.

The next day we were up early. Altria had woken first and roused the rest of the group. She hadn’t said anything, but it was obvious that she was on edge about visiting her family. We had about an hour before we were supposed to meet Siofra and head to see them. My first stop was the baths. I was quite the adjustment, having to share the baths with other men. I’d gotten completely used to having them to myself in the other towns.

I met the rest of the party back upstairs and after changing into our smarter clothes, we all made our way back downstairs and out to the front of the guild to meet Siofra. She was already standing there waiting for us when we stepped outside.

“Morning everyone!” She said greeting us.

“Morning Siofra.” I replied.

“Well, where are we going and how do we get there?” She asked.

“It’s on this side of the city. We can either walk or get a carriage there. What would everyone prefer?” Altria asked.

“Let’s walk. It’s nice weather this morning and it really isn’t that far.” Lillia suggested.

No one was against the idea of walking there, so we all set off on foot, with Altria leading the way. With Altria still looking reticent about the whole thing, I decided to walk at the front of the group with her.

“Has it been long since you last saw your family?” I asked as we walked.

“Yes, at least in person. It’s been a couple of years.” She replied.

“You must be excited to be going back then?”

“Not really, they were part of the reason I decided to leave the capital and become an adventurer…”

“Ah… Do you mind me asking what happened?”

“Nothing bad. Don’t get me wrong, I have good parents. It’s just. Well, they got on my nerves and I had to get away.”

“Oh right. Well, I think everyone experiences some of that. I know how you feel there.”

“Maybe… You’ll see when you meet them.”

We walked for about ten minutes until we reached one of the wooded sections of the city. The road we were following led straight inside. A couple of minutes later we passed through the woods and found ourselves in a grassy park, at the centre of the park was a palace. It had to be the catkin palace. The park was surrounded on all sides by the woods and gave the place a feeling like it was cut off from the rest of the city. If we hadn’t walked straight from the crowded streets, I would have a hard time believing we were still inside the city limits and not somewhere out in the countryside.

The palace was surrounded by a stone wall, and there was a large gate and guards barring the way to the last stretch of the road. I wondered how many visitors they got that arrived on foot. I had a feeling that it wasn’t many. If we weren’t travelling with the princess, they might even find it strange. As it was, the guards stepped out of the gate house as we approached.

“Halt.” The first guard called out.

“I believe you are expecting us.” Altria said as she stepped forward.

“Princess…”

“Didn’t mother send word we were coming this morning?” She asked.

“Yes, we were informed to expect your arrival…” The guard replied.

He just wasn’t expecting us to arrive on foot like this, I thought to myself.

“Then please open the gate.” Asked Altria.

“Yes, of course.”

The guard waved to the two others behind him, and they immediately went to the gate and begun opening it.

“Thank you.” Altria said before stepping forward.

Altria and Lillia both walked through the gates and headed towards the palace. Serin, Siofra and I followed close behind them. Just as we were about to pass through the gate the guard barred our way.

“Sorry about this, but we need to check your paperwork.” He told us.

“Paperwork?” Asked Serin.

Altria turned back hearing this and approached the guard.

“They don’t need to present it. They are all with me.” She told the guard.

“But your highness, we are under orders…”

“They’re all members of my party and their attendance was requested by the queen herself. They aren’t in possession of the invitation. But believe me she did invite them. I can have her come here and confirm this in person if you like?”

“No that won’t be necessary.” He said moving out of our way.

“Good. Thank you.”

After the guard cleared our way the five of us all headed towards the palace's main entrance.

37