Chapter One Hundred and Twenty-Five: Pieces Fall into Place
1.4k 4 33
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

There was a brief silence in the carriage, while what Altria said sunk in for a moment. How could she think that? From what Serin and Rosa said, things were looking bad for us. I wouldn’t be surprised if we were going to be classed as terrorists, by the time we arrived back in Dunshelm.

“What do you mean Altria?” Asked Serin.

“Well, you two said the rumours were that my mother had already left the capital and that there was some movement among the human and wolfkin forces, right?”

“Yes…”

“Well, I have a suspicion that my mother has something planned. I expect when Theo tells us what they spoke about in secret, that will be confirmed.”

“I don’t know, she didn’t mention anything about that.” I said, not understanding Altria’s train of thought.

“She wouldn’t have told you her plans. Sorry Theo, she’s very good at sucking people in. Just tell us what she told you and I’ll be able to gather the rest from there.”

“Okay.”

I ran through the entire conversation I had with Olentri just as Altria had asked me to. I explained how she had given the okay for her contact to retrieve the relic and had provided the means for it to be swapped. I detailed how she had told me that she would make sure, that in the case we were found out, I would be the one that took the blame.

“I knew that she was planning something! No wonder she asked you to keep it a secret from me.” Altria said as soon as I had finished recounting the conversation.

“I don’t understand though. It hasn’t gone the way that she wanted. I was the one that suspicion should have fallen on, not you and definitely not her.”

“I think that was only one of the outcomes she had planned for. She probably suspected all along that the elves might make a move like this. The whole thing was probably just a move to see how they would react in this instance. Of course, if it had just been discovered and events didn’t blow up like this, she would have made you take the fall. She used you for her own ends Theo.”

“I’m sorry Altria, but I still don’t have a clue what you’re talking about.”

“I’m not following this either Altria. Please can you tell us what you think is going on?” Asked Serin.

“Well, I think she wanted to see what their reaction would be. Remember I said before Theo, about my grandfather?”

“You said he mentioned some strange things when he was very old, but that everyone thought he was just senile.”

“Yes… But my mother always had some suspicion after that. After everything that happened, I think a lot of her worries will have been confirmed. It’s no wonder that she had already left the Capital, she already had a plan in motion in case something like this happened.”

“What exactly was she suspicious of? What did your grandfather say?” Asked Serin.

“That the high king was able to enact some kind of control over summoners… My grandfather had a recuring delusion, at least that was what they thought at the time. He said that those that had the shard implanted for long enough were able to fall under the control of the high king, Lillia’s father. He also said that all the members that signed the alliance all experienced memory loss, due to a form of contract magic. It was only when he reached his advanced years that some of it came back to him. No one had heard anything like this from the other members, so everyone just thought he was losing his mind…” Explained Altria.

“But after what happened with Lillia, it doesn’t seem that crazy.” I noted.

“No, it doesn’t.”

“But if your mother has pulled her forces, we might be safe in Dunshelm, but not for long. It could mean war once again amongst the races.” Serin said, clearly worried.

“Maybe, but I don’t think my mother would have risked this if she thought that was a possibility. With the alliance forces as stretched as they are, I doubt they could afford to open a new front. Not if they were supported by the humans and the wolfkin.” Answered Altria.

“Your mother really though that far ahead?” Asked Serin.

“I wouldn’t be surprised if she had.”

“I just, I really thought she was only helping out because she was worried about you. Worried about what might happen if we were found out.” I said with everything that Altria mentioned still sinking in.

“She is… I don’t appreciate the way that she’s gone about it, but she obviously thought we would make it out of the trouble it created somehow. Think about it, if what my grandfather was rambling on about was true, then maybe Lillia wasn’t acting of her own free will back there… If that’s the case, how long until something like that can happen to me? I’ve had the shard implanted just like her. If she thinks it’s true, then it isn’t that surprising.”

“But you haven’t had it inside you for as long as Lillia though?”

“Nowhere near as long no… But we don’t know how long it takes. Then again, we don’t even know if this is actually happening. We shouldn’t panic yet.

“We should speak with Liz as soon as we return to Dunshelm. She might know something.”

“Liz? You mean the woman from the potion shop?”

“Yes.”

“Why would she know anything about this?”

“I don’t know why, but she seems to know a lot about the relics and the summoning. More than she would let on to me. I spoke to her when I wanted to look into what we were told by the demon woman. She gave me some ideas of what to look for.”

“Is that why you wanted to look up our history, when you came to my house?” Asked Serin.

“Yes… At least she gave me an idea of the specific areas to research.”

“Why wouldn’t she tell you more?”

“When I first met her, she told me some of the specifics of my situation here. I slipped up and told Lillia. Since then, she hasn’t been as eager to share information with me. Come to think of it, she always been a little concerned about Lillia. I wonder if she really does know something about this.”

“I think you’re right. We should speak to her once we’re back.”

“I want to tell her what I heard from Celine too. I think it will be useful if she can meet her.”

“Celine?”

“The succubus.”

“She’s given you information?”

“Yes… That’s the reason why I first decided to spare her. It seemed like she could tell us something important.”

“So that’s why…”

“Why else would I have?”

“Because she’s a s-succubus. You know.” Serin said now looking a little embarrassed.

“I know she is.”

“She thought you were keeping her as some sort of sex slave or something. You know, plenty of men have let them suck the life right out of them because it’s that enjoyable.” Explained Altria.

“That’s not what I meant! I was just worried that she might have you under her control somehow. I didn’t think you would be doing something like that.” Serin said, trying to clarify quickly.

“Well, he has been feeding her…” Added Altria.

“Really?” Asked Serin turning to me once again.

“I have… She has to eat somehow and because of the effects of “purification” she no longer seems to be able to hunt. Not that I would want her too. I can’t let her starve and you aren’t exactly one to talk Altria!”

“I wasn’t thinking straight back then!”

“Well, I defiantly can imagine Altria getting involved in something like that. It isn’t a surprise, but Theo you should really be careful. She is a demon after all.” Serin said seemingly concerned.

“What do you mean it isn’t a surprise?” Asked Altria.

“Just you like that sort of thing. You are always initiating or joining in without complaint.”

“You haven’t been that much different since Theo got here, have you?”

“Okay you two, I don’t think this is what we should be discussing right now…” I said intervening before things got carried away. “I understand you’re concerned Serin, but I think you should meet Celine yourself and make your own judgments about her.”

“Yes, you’re right, I will. As soon as it is safe to do so, please ask her to come out. Perhaps when we make camp for the evening.”

“I will, if we find somewhere suitably out of the way that is.”

“Don’t worry, I think I know just the place.” Rosa called over from the driver’s seat.

After that we rode through the day. We passed by a couple of small towns, but we didn’t stop. We were still too close to the capital and too far away from the lands where Altria’s mother held some sway. We couldn’t risk being picked up. The only stop we made was a short one in the day, to rest, feed and water the horses briefly before we set on again. Fortunately, the only traffic we saw was coming from the other way and not from the capital.

The sun had already set before we stopped for the night. Rosa was insistent we continued until we reached where she planned to stop. She was sure it would be the safest place to spend the night. Finally, as we were losing the last of the dusk light we slowed and turned into a very rough looking track from the main road. It was fortunate it had been dry lately as the horses were slow to pull us along the trail as it was. In the wet it would have been almost impossible.

After about fifteen minutes of following the track, we stopped at a small clearing to the side of the road. Rosa pulled the carriage behind the treeline, so we weren’t visible from the track. Even if we had a fire here it wouldn’t be visible from the main road. It seemed we were right to follow Rosa’s instruction.

33