One Hundred and Fifty-Seven: Last Chance
976 10 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Nervous after attempting this on the last powerful opponent I faced, and it failed, but I didn’t have any other ideas. I didn’t feel like any of my other skills would turn out to be effective against her. I couldn’t move, my eyes were barely open. I could just about make out that my hands were facing her. This was my last chance to do something before I lost consciousness.

I activated “Interrogate” I could still feel her drinking my blood for a moment, but then it stopped. Had she had enough? Was might heart starting to stop? I could still feel it beating away in my chest, even if it felt slightly laboured. I felt my body move and the weight lifted from me. I opened my eyes fully to find myself held in an embrace by the woman. She was gently stroking my hair.

I wasn’t really sure what was going on, she had reacted differently than Celine or the elf girls when I used it on them. It had seemed to work, there wasn’t really any other explanation for what was going on. She at least wasn’t trying to kill me anymore.

Even if she had stopped sucking my blood, I was still completely drained. Just moving my head from side to side was hard work. I tried to take in my surroundings. She may have stopped the attack that had forced me to the ground, but the others were still pinned down. From the looks of things, they were still completely unable to move an inch. They were just looking on in surprise at us. At least she wasn’t physically attacking them for now.

I mustered what little strength I had left and reached for my potions pouch. I felt it just at my side, but I didn’t have the dexterity to take it from my belt or open it. The woman saw what I was doing and pulled it from my side.

“Is this what you were after?” She asked holding it up in front of my face.

I slowly nodded unable to speak.

“Here.” She said opening the pouch wide open for me.

After a little effort I managed to pull out a mana and stamina potion from the bag. I popped the corks after a couple of attempts and poured the bottles contents down my throat. It wasn’t long before I started to feel just a little bit better.

“Good you seem to have recovered somewhat.” She said looking down at me.

“Thanks…”

“I’m sorry for what I’ve done to you. I don’t know what came over me. No… I don’t know what has come over me now. Something has changed. You’ve done something to me. I don’t quite understand what’s happened.”

“I had no choice. I wasn’t sure…”

“Don’t worry. I don’t seem to be able to get angry with you about it. The way I feel now I don’t think I could. I feel glad. Glad that I wasn’t able to kill you. Strange, you were just going to be my next meal. I should be worried about what’s happened, but I seem to be more concerned about what I almost did to you. What a strange feeling this is.”

She gently laid me on the floor and got to her feet. She brushed the dust from the ground off her white dress, then started to move towards Serin.

“Now, I should finish this.”

“Please don’t!” I shouted as I realised what she was about to do.

“Don’t?” She asked as she turned back to me a confused expression on her face.

“Please don’t hurt them.”

“But I have to. I must finish this. If I don’t, they will only cause me a problem.”

“They won’t, I can promise you.”

“They were trying to kill me. I’m only protecting myself.”

“They were only doing the same. They were caught in your trap. I was caught in your trap. You remember how we escaped?”

The woman felt her chest where I had thrust through the blade, when I was caught in the psychic prison of her construction.

“I do.”

“If I hadn’t done that, we would’ve all been dead already. They were only trying to survive, just like you.”

“I need to eat to live.”

“But you don’t need to eat them, do you? Not now, you only just drank my blood.”

“I suppose there is no rush. How strange, why am I even listening to you?” She asked kneeling down next to me.

“It’s a skill I used on you. It’s altered your personality.”

“Are you sure you want to be telling me that?”

“It doesn’t seem to alter its effects. You already knew something had happened, didn’t you?”

“Yes, I could tell and for some reason I’m still not bothered by it. I’m just glad I have you here, with me.”

“It seems to work like that.”

“I see… How long will I stay like this for?”

“Permanently, I think.”

The woman walked back to where I was. I’d recovered enough to sit myself up. She sat behind, then wrapped her arms around me and laid her head gently on top of mine. It seemed a little strange, but I let her do it. I needed her to spare and release the others after all. She didn’t seem hostile towards me after I used the skill on her, but she didn’t seem to act like she would just do anything I asked either.

“If that is the case, then I suppose I should let them go. If it isn’t temporary, then I don’t want to feel responsible for upsetting you like that.” She said with a slight wave of her hand.

She had released the technique. I could see that the weight had been removed from the others and they were now able to move freely. Serin and Altria looked relieved. They both sat themselves up and started reaching for their potions to recover. Liz and Beth both looked confused at how the situation had played out. Of course, both of them knew about Celine, they knew she had the skill used on her, but this was the first time they had seen someone shift from their original state in front of their eyes. They soon settled down and drank recovery potions just like the others. As soon as she had regained some of her strength Beth got to her feet, sword drawn.

“Theo, you need to step away from her.” She said glaring at the vampire.

“Stand down Beth, the fight is over.” Serin said as she walked over.

“What? We might not get another chance like this!”

“We won’t need one. It’s over, there’s no need to have your sword drawn.”

“But!”

“She said she was going to let us go and besides I doubt Theo is going to want her hurt. Right?” Serin asked turning to me.

“I wouldn’t, not now… Thanks Serin, but why?” I asked.

“You used that skill on her, didn’t you?”

“I did.”

“I knew it. She’s acting differently than Celine, but it looks as if we’re no longer in any danger and I wouldn’t feel right attacking her in that state.”

“Serin I…”

“It’s okay, I had a feeling something like this would happen.” She sighed.

“Really Serin, we’re just going to leave it at that?” Asked Beth, seemingly not satisfied with the explanation.

“Yes.”

“It’ll be fine. Just consider it as we’ve gained another ally. Like Celine.” Altria added in support.

“I’m still not sure if we can trust her either…” Answered Beth.

“Believe me we can. She’s saved my life a few times now, that’s even before what she did back there. Just try thinking of it as trusting Theo and his abilities. Don’t worry the effect doesn’t wear off.”

“Right… I suppose I could think of it like that.” Beth said reluctantly putting her blade away.

Seeing Beth calm down a little, Altria and Serin relaxed themselves. I don’t think either of them knew what to do if she had gone on the attack.

“Good…” Serin said after a deep breath. “We need to find somewhere to rest for the remainder of the night, we should start looking and Theo, how long are you going to stay like that for?” She asked.

“Oh, uh right, sorry.” I answered, still being held by the vampire woman.

I shuffled and tried to get to my feet.

“Oh, is this inappropriate? Is she your mate?” She asked still squeezing me.

“Um, it isn’t that it’s inappropriate, just a little odd considering the situation. She isn’t, well is in a way, but it’s not that simple…” I answered clumsily.

“Hmm. Then couldn’t we stay like this for a little longer?”

“Afraid not, I need to help the others find shelter for the night. I’m going to need to rest too and we’re going to need to talk things over.”

“I see…” She said releasing me from her hold. “In that case I may be able to help. Some of these buildings are still weathertight.”

“Thanks.”

I got to my feet and Celine rushed over as soon as I was a little way from the woman.

“Master you’re okay!”

“I am, just a little drained.”

“You’re this one’s master?” The woman asked.

“Not exactly, but that’s what she calls me.”

“Is she also under the effects?”

“Yes.”

“So that’s why she aided you in defiance of me.”

“She’s helped us a lot.”

“Intriguing… Please let me show you to one of the intact buildings.”

I glanced over to Serin.

“Lead the way.” Serin said in answer while shrugging.

23