Chapter One Hundred and Seventy-Seven: The Shrine
750 3 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Celine was only gone for a few minutes before she returned this time. She reappeared at the edge of the treeline next to Aetherin and the pair walked inside and joined up with the rest of us. It was time to make our move.

As Celine reached us, she begun to explain the situation. “There’s one group on patrol, the other three are stationary, but it won’t be for long. They’re currently making their round on the left side of the compound from us. The other two are to the far right of the site and in front of main building. The guards at the stairs still haven’t moved.”

Serin nodded as she listened then turned to the rest of the group. “Thanks Celine. Okay everyone, Enna and I will take thew moving group. Aetherin and Theo take the pair in front of the main building. Liz and Beth, you two take the group to right of the compound. Celine, I’d like you to go with Altria and neutralise the pair on the stairs.”

Altria nodded. “I can do that.”

“Everyone ready?” Asked Serin.

We all quietly nodded in response.

“Okay, head out in your pairs. Altria and Celine you’re up first.”

Altria turned to Celine and waved her to follow, then the pair almost silently headed to the tree line and virtually blending into the shadows entered the compound.

Serin waved for the next pair. “Liz, Beth, you’re next.”

The two made their way to the edge of the trees then turned to the right and followed the treeline along towards the edge of the compound.

Once they were out of sight Serin turned back to Aetherin and me. “Okay now it’s your turn, we’ll follow after you. See you at the central building.”

As we left, I turned to Serin. “You will. Stay safe!”

Aetherin took the lead and I followed closely behind. I glanced back over my shoulder and could see Serin and Enna making their way to left of us.

Aetherin slowed as we reached the edge of the trees and she turned back to me. “You should stay behind me.” She said under her breath.

“I will, but I can help you take them down.”

“Good, I’m counting on you to watch my back.”

She turned back and we stepped out into the open, sticking to the shadows as we made our way to the front of the man building. Aetherin didn’t make a sound, her feet were silent as they touched the ground.

The best I could do was tread as quietly as I could as I followed behind. We soon reached the edge of the central building and came to a stop. Aetherin crept up to the edge and peered round, then she waved for me to join her. I drew my sword ready for the fight. The guards were just up ahead, just like Celine had told us.

I stood next to Aetherin, and she signalled a countdown for us to step out on her fingers. When she reached zero, we stepped out. The guards had their backs turned to us and had no idea what was coming to them.

I raised my blade hoping to end the one in front of me in a single strike. Then as Aetherin and I stepped out she moved fast towards the pair, and she vanished from my sight. All I could sense was the sound of the air parting as she moved.

I ran forward to keep up, but I didn’t make it. The guard to the left fell, then the right. Both killed with a single blow. Aetherin came into view as she stopped. I sheathed my blade, slightly disappointed that I wasn’t able to help.

She turned to me as I reached her. “We should move the bodies.”

“Right.”

We each took one of the guards by the arms and slowly dragged them to the side of the building and out of view. We tried to be as quiet as possible, not knowing if the others had yet completed their tasks.

Once we had hidden the bodies we returned to front of the building, we were still the only ones there. It was now a case of waiting for the others. The whole compound was quiet, one thing was sure the alarm hadn’t been raised.

I looked across the open space in front of the building and saw two figures step out of the darkness. I recognised the pair it was Altria and Celine. As the drew closer Altria lifted her arm and gave the thumbs up signal. They had been successful. Hopefully the others would be too.

They soon made their way across the open space and joined us just to the side of the building.

“Are we the first here?” Altria asked quietly.

“Yes, no sign of the others yet.” I answered under my breath.

“I don’t think they’ll be long.”

Almost as soon as she said that she turned to her right. She had heard something out in the darkness, she had tensed up, but once she caught sight of the pair approaching relaxed again. I couldn’t see a thing yet, but from her reaction I could guess it was Liz and Beth.

Sure enough the two of them stepped into the moonlight as they made their way between the small buildings on that side of the compound towards us.

Now we were just waiting on Serin and Enna. Their targets were moving so it was understandable if they took the longest. Serin is stronger than I am, I hadn’t seen Enna fight, but she was a captain, she was probably stronger than me too, but I was still nervous. I wanted everyone to return.

The site was still silent and that was a good sign. I had my eyes trained on the left hand side of the square, just waiting for the two of them to step around.

Two figures stepped out into the main square, but something was odd. I could only make out their silhouettes, but it didn’t look like them. As I watched on one of the pair fell to the ground for some unknown reason, then a shadow dropped from the sky onto the other before they could react. Their neck bent unnaturally on impact, and they collapsed. It was at the very edge of my eyesight, and I couldn’t make out who was over there.

Altria put a hand on my shoulder. “Don’t worry, that’s Serin and Enna other there. It looks as if everything is going according to plan.” She said calmly.

“You can make them out?”

“Yes.”

I could still only make out the dark shapes from where we stood. I watched on as they pulled the two guard’s bodies out of view. Once they were done, they hurried across to join up with the rest of us.

As Serin reached us she quickly looked over the group. “Everyone made it, all the guards are down?”

“Yes, just the one’s inside left. What do you want to do about them?” Asked Altria.

“Looks like there’s only one way in or out. Doesn’t give us a lot of options… Altria, you and Aetherin are probably our best shot at getting this done quietly, what do you think?”

“I think you’re probably right… What do you say Aetherin, are you willing to take them out with me?”

She nodded and stepped forward. “Yes, I’ll accompany you.”

“Hold on, let me help.” Celine cut in.

“You said they were stronger than the ones outside, will you be okay?” Asked Serin.

“They are, but I can conceal us. Aetherin and Altria can do the fighting, but it will be easier if they don’t see them coming.”

“Do you have enough strength left for that?”

“I do. If it’s just the three of us, it won’t drain me much.”

Serin turned to Altria.

“It will make it easier, probably quieter too.” Altria answered without being asked.

“Okay, the three of you handle the ones inside. We’ll wait outside and keep a lookout until you give us the all clear.”

Altria stepped up to the door and looked back to the others. “Ok, then you two, let’s go.”

She quickly checked it over, looking for traps before she gently tried the door handle. It was unlocked. She looked backed to the others and signalled for them to follow.

Aetherin and Celine both lined up behind her, then the three of them disappeared as Celine activated her power. The door silently opened as the three stepped inside, I couldn’t even make out their footsteps before the door closed behind them.

It was time to wait again. It was deadly silent as the five of us waited outside for the others. We were anxious, but Liz was fidgeting while she waited. She was obviously exited to finally get the opportunity to examine the artifact.

Barely a couple of minutes had passed when the door opened again.

Altria stuck her outside. “Come on in, we’ve finished up inside.” She said with a grin.

Liz rushed forward, seemingly not wanting to wait another moment to look at the artifact. She stopped at the door and turned back.

“Come on, what are we waiting for?” She asked, then stepped inside without waiting for an answer.

Serin gave a little laugh and shrugged. “I suppose we should hurry up and take a look too.”

After that we all filed inside the building. There was a short hallway that led to main hall or altar room. Inside the room the two guards were laid to the side, there was no sign of a struggle. Celine and Aetherin were standing a little way inside, just in front of the altar waiting for us.

16