Chapter One Hundred and Eighty-Eight: The Low Pass
600 5 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As soon as we were done eating, Liz pulled her map from her bag and unrolled it.

She looked to Serin. “Where do you want to head for next?”

Serin stepped forward, so she could get a good look at the map before she answered. “I wanted to head for the nearest town. If I remember correctly, Silthorn should be somewhere just over this ridgeline.”

Liz studied the map for a moment. “You’re right it is.”

“A route we don’t have to climb over the mountains would be nice, but I’d like to get there today if possible.”

“It looks to me like we can travel east from here, for a few miles and take the pass through here.” Liz said showing the route on the map.

“I think that’ll do us. It should take us less than half a day to reach Silthorn from here.”

Seeing that it looked as if we had decided the route, I stepped forward. “What do we do once we reach there?”

“I’m hoping we can find some transport. I’d like to get back to Dunshelm as quickly as possible. We need to let, Lisa, let everyone know what we found out here. We need to stop things before they get to far.”

“I think that’s a good idea… What do we do about the harpies?”

Serin frowned for a moment. “I told you, you’d need to make a decision about that sooner or later.”

“I know they can’t come into town with us, but couldn’t they wait nearby?”

Liz looked up from the map. “There’s a small wood here. They could wait for us there and I doubt anyone from the town would be able to see them.”

“Thanks Liz…” I turned back to Serin. “Won’t that be okay?”

Serin groaned. “It’ll do for now. Just consider what happens afterwards.”

“I will.”

“Okay… We’ll set out soon. We’ll travel on foot, the harpies can take to the sky.” She turned to Enna. “If you spot any humans, I’ll need you to return and stay out of sight. Is that okay with you?”

Enna nodded. “Yes, I wouldn’t want us causing any unnecessary problems for you.”

“Thanks Enna.” Serin looked over the group for a moment. “Time to pack down, we’ll set off straight afterwards. Let’s reach Silthorn as soon as we can.”

At Serin’s instruction we all set about packing away the camp. With all the extra hands now in our party, it took almost no time at all. We were soon ready to leave.

With the gear stowed and bags full, the group gathered around Serin. All of us waiting for her to give the sign to head out.

She looked over the group for a moment. “Let’s set out.” She said seemingly happy we were ready to move.

We didn’t feel the need to walk in formation or to set a scout. We were out of enemy territory now, and these hills weren’t supposed to be that dangerous. Not only that we also had the harpy girls keeping watch on us from above.

Liz and Serin took the front of the group. No one knew this area well, and it was Liz that had the map, so it made sense for her to lead the way.

Our route followed the line of mountains ahead of us. We tracked along a low ridge in their foothills. After we cleared the woods, the pass between the mountains became visible. It really was only a few miles from where we had camped for the night.

While we walked, I occasionally looked to the sky. I wanted to see how the harpies were doing. With my eyesight it was hard to keep track of them. When I did catch glimpses, they were little more than specks. They had decided to fly at quite the altitude. Only those with exceptional eyesight would be able to tell them apart from birds.

After a little while walking, Altria joined me as I followed behind the two girls up front.

She poked me playfully in the side as she stepped forward. “What’re you thinking about?”

“I was just trying to make out the harpies.”

“Oh…”

“Can you see them from here?”

“I can.”

“They don’t just look like specks to you?”

“I couldn’t tell you who was who, but I can make out their forms.”

“That’s impressive.”

“It’s just a natural trait.”

“Still, I’d need binoculars to see that.”

“What?”

“Just a device from back home that helps you see in the distance.”

“I see… Talking about home, have you given any thought about what all the harpy girls are going to when we return to Dunshelm.”

“A little.”

“What have you decided?”

“Well, I know it’s going to be difficult, but I’d like to let them come with us. That is if they want to, of course.”

“And how do you think you’ll manage that? You know if we turn up with them to Dunshelm all hell will break loose.”

“I know that… I wasn’t planning on bringing them into town. I was hoping there might be another way. Perhaps I could find a place, somewhere away from anyone else or in an abandoned village.”

Altria’s ears pricked up. “You’re thinking of buying somewhere?”

“It did cross my mind, but I’ve no idea if I would be able to afford something like that.”

“You could. The reward from the quest would be more than enough and there are plenty of abandoned settlements scattered around Dunshelm these days. I think you would be able to find somewhere. It’s actually quite a good idea.”

“You think so?”

“I do, but there is still the chance that someone would find out.”

“I know, it would still be risky. I wouldn’t consider it unless you and the others were all on board with the idea. I know it would cause problems for you all if I was caught.”

“It could… I can only speak for myself, but I wouldn’t be against the idea. We’d need to lay down some ground rules… Let’s see what the others think about this later okay?”

“Sure.”

We were fast approaching the route between the mountains now. It was a narrow and winding valley in between to huge mountains. As I looked up at them, I was glad knowing that we didn’t need to cross over them.

It took us another couple of hours to pass through the valley and to reach the flat at the far side. As soon as we were through, I could make out the forest that Liz had mentioned before. This would be where we parted ways with the harpies for the time being.

As we drew closer to the forest, I could make out the harpies up above. They were circling around as they slowly lost altitude, making their way to join us.

At the edge of the forest Serin brought the group to halt. “Let’s wait here for the harpies to land.”

We had been on our feet all morning now and no one was unhappy for the chance to take a break. Everyone began taking off their bags and finding a spot to sit while the harpies descended.

I was sat with Altria and Celine when Serin came to join us. She still looked a little concerned.

“I don’t want to keep on at you about this, but have you given any more thought to what I said earlier? If all goes to plan, we might find transport in the town and be on our way back to Dunshelm today. We’ll need to decide how we’re going to proceed.”

I nodded. “I have, I was hoping we could all discuss it and come to a decision.”

She looked relieved. “Okay, let’s discuss now. We have some time, and we should be stopping for lunch now anyway. Let’s talk before we head into town.”

The harpies landed and joined the rest of the group while I thought about what top say.

“Well, it was just an Idea and I wanted everyone to agree before I thought about going ahead with it.” I glanced to Altria as I paused.

She nodded. “Go on Theo.”

“Well, I was thinking about buying a place a little way from Dunshelm. Maybe somewhere deserted, or at the very least away from prying eyes… That way, if they wanted too of course, the rest of the girls could come back with us.”

Serin gasped. “What?”

“I just thought, you know, it might work.”

Altria glanced to Serin. “I personally think it’s a good idea.”

“But there is still a chance they would be spotted, then we’re all in danger.”

“True, but we are all in danger already. There’s no telling what the situation will be like when we return. We could need all the allies we can get.”

Serin sat in silence thinking for a moment. “You do have a point there… I suppose I could think on it.” She looked to the other girls. “What do you all think about Theo’s idea?”

15