Chapter One Hundred and Ninety-Three: A Small Reunion
718 2 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I was just as pleased to see Rosa as everyone else was. It was quite the surprise to find her here in the stables, just as we were looking for a way home. If Lisa had sent her out here on the chance of running into us, she really was doing everything she could.

I was just about to join in with the others in greeting her, when Aetherin tugged at my side. “Who is this woman? From the reaction of the others, I assume she is a friend.”

I nodded. “She is. A friend who has gotten us out of more than one scrape.”

“You think she will be able to aid your return?”

“I hope so.”

Apart from the surprise of seeing Rosa all the way out here, that was the first thing on everyone’s minds.

Serin didn’t waste any time in asking. “I know we’ve only just ran into you, and I feel a little awkward asking this… but are you here with a carriage? Will you be heading back to Dunshelm?”

Rosa waved her hands. “Don’t be, that’s exactly why I’m here. Like I said, Lisa sent me. It was just a long shot, but she was worried about the lack of news. Because of this she asked me to travel out here.”

Serin relaxed a little. “That’s a relief! But don’t tell me you travelled out here all alone.”

She shook her head. “I didn’t. It turned out that one of the guilds adventurers was from here. They happened to be looking for transport back home. We travelled together.”

“I see… But how did you come to be given this work by Lisa? I wasn’t under the impression that you knew her or did jobs for the guild.”

“I didn’t, but well knowing how dangerous the things you all get caught up in, I worried. I went to the guild frequently in the hope of hearing some news about your party. I ended up being on quite good terms with the girl from the front desk, Jules. We spoke about my work and how I knew you all. When Lisa started looking for someone to send here, Jules put my name forward.”

“So that explains it.”

“Yes… It seems that Lisa had already heard about me from your reports, but she still insisted on interviewing me before I was allowed to come here.”

“That sounds like Lisa. She didn’t cause you any trouble I hope?”

“No, not at all. If anything, I was glad of the opportunity to be of some help to you again.”

“I’m happy to hear that. Honestly, we couldn’t have hoped for better than running into you here like this. We were about to give up hope of finding any transport back home.”

“There aren’t many carriages travelling between here and Dunshelm, that’s for sure.”

“Have you been here long?”

“A couple of days now.”

“I know this is sudden, but when will you be able to set out again?”

“As soon as you like. The horses are fed and rested. All I need to do is hook them up to the carriage.”

“That’s great news!”

“Are you in that much of a hurry to return.”

“Yes, we need to get the word out about what we found as soon as possible… That and I’m not sure if we should be stay here any longer than necessary.”

“What do you mean?”

“I’ll explain later, I’d like to prepare to leave. So long as that is okay with you?”

“Of course, I’ll start making preparing the horses. We can leave within the hour.”

“Great!”

Rosa went to ready her horses, when she paused. “If I’m not mistaken, you’ve gained another member.” She said glancing at Aetherin.

“We have, sorry I should introduce her…” Serin turned and gestured to Aetherin. “This is Aetherin. Aetherin, this is Rosa, a good friend of ours.”

Aetherin stepped forward and offered Rosa her hand. “Nice to meet you.”

“You too.” Rosa smiled and glanced back to Serin. “But how did you pick up another member out in the wilds?”

Serin quickly looked toward the stables entrance and then back to Rosa. “There’s a story attached to that… Do you mind if I explain that later too?”

“Of course, not.”

“Thanks. There are a few things we need to fill you in on. I think it’s best if we wait until we’re on the road and away from anyone that could overhear before we discuss them.”

“I understand.”

Rosa was quick to get to work. She had picked up on our sense of urgency, and in no time, she had attached the harnesses to the horses. We were soon being led out of the stables towards Rosa’s carriage.

The carriage was just a short walk around to the side of the stables. It was inside a small yard. Once there Rosa hitched up the horses, then climbed onto the driver’s seat.

She looked at us expectantly. “Aren’t you getting on board.”

I was surprised she was ready to leave already. “Don’t you need to collect your possessions?”

She laughed. “No need. I’ve been brining them from the inn each morning. I had a feeling that if I bumped into you, we’d need to leave in a hurry like this.”

This wasn’t the first time she had travelled with us after all.

“You were right.”

Serin was the first to head to the carriage. She climbed up the step, opened the door and made her way inside.

Altria stopped at the side of the horses and looked up at Rosa. “Mind if I ride up here with you?”

“Not at all, climb up.” She said waving her up.

“Thanks.” She climbed up and took a seat on the bench with Rosa.

“Do we need a lookout?”

“I hope not, but I just want to be safe.”

“Well, I won’t complain about the company.”

After Altria had sat with Rosa the rest of us climbed inside the carriage and sat down. Once the doors were closed behind us, Rosa pulled on the reigns and the carriage jerked forwards.

We were on the road once again.

As we crossed the small town, a part of me was expecting someone to trying to stop us. Especially as we reached the guild. As it was, we met no interference and were soon approaching the towns gates.

Even if Elsa had someone watching us, they would barely have had time to report to her when we had set on our way. That was if she were to betray us.

Once we reached the gate we slowed to a stop, as the guards came to check on the carriage.

We had a short conversation with the captain of the guard. He was surprised to see us leaving so soon. Despite that, he seemed happy enough that we had found the transport we had been searching for. He quickly sent us on our way.

Within in an hour of meeting up with Rosa, we were leaving Silthorn behind. Its small wooden fortifications were disappearing into the distance as we steadily travelled along the road away from the town.

Now we just had to meet up with the harpies and make our way home. I just hoped that would be a simple as it sounded.

17