Chapter One Hundred and Ninety-Five: The Road Home
513 4 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After a few minutes travelling along the bumpy track, we returned to the main road. It was just as empty as when we had left it. There weren’t any other people around in either direction as far as the eye could see.

I was relieved when I noticed this, part of me had expected to find that we were being followed from Silthorn. Perhaps Elsa really was on our side like she claimed.

I shuffled in my seat and tried to make myself comfortable for the long journey. Once comfy, I turned to Serin. “How long do you think it will take us to reach Dunshelm?”

 She paused before answering. “Depending on what happens, it should take us at least two full days on the road. If everything goes well, we should be there three days from now.”

“We were really lucky to have bumped into Rosa. I really didn’t want to have to walk all the way back.”

She laughed. “I don’t think any of us did!”

“I know.”

Looking around the carriage, everyone seemed to be enjoying the relative comfort. Even Aetherin looked to be relieved to be off her feet for once.

After thirty minutes back on the main road, everyone had settled down into the journey. Beth had even fallen asleep. I was just about thinking of joining her, shuffling up to the side of the carriage to rest my head when a shout from the front jolted me upright.

Altria was calling out. “Someone’s coming from behind! They’re moving fast.”

Serin slid open the carriage window to try and get a look at our pursuers. After a moment she pulled herself back in. “It’s no good, I can’t make them out at all!” She turned to the hatch. “Can you make out who it is Altria?”

“I can’t see who yet, but it’s three people on horseback. I reckon they’ll catch us up within twenty minutes if we carry on at this speed.”

The relaxed atmosphere in the carriage had evaporated. Once again, we were all on edge. Even Beth had woken from the commotion.

I had really wanted to things to go smoothly.

Liz turned to Serin. “What do you want to do? Try and outrun them, we could stop and fight there is only three of them.”

“I’m not sure… We don’t even know if they’re coming after us. For all we know they could be errand runners.”

“True.”

“Let’s just carry on as we are for now. We’ll decide what to do once we can make out who it is…. Altria keep your eyes peeled.”

“Will do!”

Altria pulled back from the other side of the hatch and kept position up front with Rosa.

Inside the carriage we had all begun to move. Each of us instinctively checking our equipment in case this did turn into a fight.

The next few minutes went slowly. An awkward silence had fallen on the party as we waited to find out who was following.

Finally, the quiet was interrupted when Altria called out again. “I can make out who it is… It’s that old captain and from the looks of it two guardswomen from the town.”

Serin click her tongue. “Damn, I hope Elsa hasn’t betrayed us.”

I wasn’t so sure. “If she sent someone after us, do you think she would have just sent three pursuers? She must have some idea how strong our party is.”

“I suppose she would, but we don’t know how strong they are. There could be more behind them.” She moved closer to the hatch. “Is there anyone else following?”

“Not that I can see.” Answered Altria.

Beth leant forward. “Theo could be right. If they were trying to intercept us, you would think they would send a larger force. I don’t think we should do anything pre-emptively.”

Serin nodded. “We’ll wait and see what they want, they could still pass us by. Whatever it is we should be ready just in case.”

Serin didn’t need to say anymore. We had each begun preparing for the worst, even if we hoped nothing was going to come out of this situation.

The next ten minutes were just as tense as the last. Large periods of silence were only punctuated by updates on our pursuers progress.

Finally, they drew near. We could make out the sounds of their horses’ hooves on the road surface as they approached.

A voice called out from their group. “Slow up! We need to talk with you.”

“What do you want me to do?” Rosa asked from the driver’s seat.

Serin quickly responded. “Let’s do as they ask. Bring us to a halt…”

“Okay.”

Serin looked to the rest of us. “We can’t be stopped here. I don’t like it, but if they try anything we fight back. Understood?”

We all nodded in agreement, knowing the importance of our return.

I could feel the carriage staring to slow. The horse riders passed us and waited just up ahead from where we eventually came to a stop.

Serin moved to the door and pushed it open. Her hand calmly resting on the hilt of her sword as she climbed down the steps to meet the riders.

The rest of us quickly followed her out of the carriage. Celine had already made herself scarce.

We were on edge, but no one wanted to create a situation when we didn’t yet know the reason for them following us.

Rosa and Altria stayed on the driver’s bench as we walked over to meet the group. If anything happened, they would be able to cover us from there.

Seeing that we had stepped out to meet them. The riders dismounted from their steeds.

Serin held a hand up in greeting. “Captain, what are you doing out here?”

He pulled off his helmet as we approached. His expression looked calm, but it didn’t give much away.

“Phew, I’m glad we caught up before you got too far!” He said a little out of breath.

“We were surprised that someone was following us.”

“Well, you left without telling the guild master. I was surprised myself when I got the order to follow you and bring these two along.”

“Mind if I ask why you were sent?”

“Not at all. The guild master wanted to send these two along with you. They were due to travel to Dunshelm two days from now on the next carriage. She decided it would be better if they travelled with you. Something about the more security for your journey.”

“I don’t understand…”

“They’re adventurers, just like you. In fact, they’re two of Silthorn’s finest. The guild master just thought it made sense if you all travelled together… I’m not sure what your mission is, but she doesn’t want to see you fail.”

“I see.”

“You don’t mind, do you?”

 Serin quickly glanced over our party. She looked as if she was trying to gauge our reaction to this turn of events.

No one did more than shrug. It didn’t seem like we had much of a choice but to accept. If anything, it would appear strange if we didn’t in this situation.

“No not at all.”

“Good…” He turned to his two female companions. “You should introduce yourselves. I need to return to the town.

Both the riders had their face covered by hoods. I could only tell they were female by their silhouettes.

At the captain’s suggestion they stepped forward, pushing back their hoods to reveal their faces as they did so.

12