Chapter Two Hundred and Nine: Return
513 2 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

While we waited for the harpies to descend the atmosphere was a little tense amongst the group. If we were going to be spotted, this was the moment it would happen. We had Altria and Celine keeping a lookout, but there was still the chance.

As the harpies landed Serin turned to me. “Do you want to tell them?”

I nodded. “I will.”

Enna stepped forward. “Is this where we part ways for a while?”

I was glad she already guessed what was happening.

“It is…”

“Well, I can’t say I’m happy for us to be parted like this, but I understand why it’s necessary.”

“Thanks, I know we’ve discussed this before, but we really can’t have anyone realising you’re here or with us. Not at the moment.”

“We wouldn’t want to cause you any trouble. Just being able to travel this far and to be near by in case you needed us is more than enough.”

I glanced at the dilapidated buildings. “I hope this will do for now. It won’t be forever, just until we can get something else sorted.”

“We’ll be fine!”

The weather was still fine, but if it took a turn for the worse, I doubted that the worn down buildings here would provide them much protection.

Serin gently touched my arm. “I don’t want to rush you, but we really should make our way to town.”

“I know… Shouldn’t we leave them some supplies? We don’t know what’s going to happen when we get back. At the least we’re going to have to report to Lisa, and who knows how long that will take.”

She nodded. “You’re right. We can leave them with most of the supplies we have left. We’re not going to need them anyway.”

After that we all pitched in and unloaded most of our supplies into the least tumbledown looking of the buildings.

Then it was time to say goodbye.

I didn’t like leaving them like this, but there was no other choice. At least once we got to town and finished reporting to Lisa, I could look for somewhere more suitable for them.

None of the harpies looked happy to be left, but they didn’t complain.

The rest of us climbed back into the carriage and we set out for Dunshelm once again.

Back on the main road to town it was still deserted. It was more than just a little unsettling now. We were close enough to town and at this time of day the roads around here were normally busy.

As we were on the final approach I turned to Celine. “I think you should probably keep yourself hidden for now.”

“I can keep myself in a form that won’t raise suspicion master.”

“I know, but I think it’s safer to keep out of sight. At least until we know what the situation in town is like. It won’t be for long.”

“If you say so master.”

“Thanks Celine.”

Celine disappeared.

Liz was nodding her head. “I think that was the correct choice. The quietness is disconcerting, I hope we aren’t walking into trouble.”

Serin turned away from the window, where she had been checking the situation. “Let’s just wait and see what it’s like once we reach to town. It won’t do us any good jumping to conclusions now.”

We would have long to wait. The city walls were already coming into sight.

I wanted to be relieved by the sight of our town once again, but the situation at the gate didn’t look anymore reassuring. There was no queue to enter the town, no guards stood outside, and the city gates looked to be closed.

I wasn’t the only one. Everyone had tensed a little as they realised.

I had to ask. “Is it normal for them to close the gate in the daytime?”

Serin shook her head. “It isn’t.”

“But what does it mean?”

“It means that something is up. There’s no way of telling what until we get inside, but whatever it is they feel it’s a threat to the city.”

Serin’s words didn’t bring me any comfort, but I’d soon find out what was happening.

The carriage began to slow as we rolled up to the city gates. It was a strange feeling, stopped outside and shut out, waiting for someone to let us in.

A minute passed and there was still no sign of the gates opening or someone coming to check us in.

Serin got to her feet. “It looks as if we will need to knock.”

She climbed out of the carriage, and I followed behind her.

Altria was already climbing down from the driver’s bench as we stepped outside.

“Can you see anything Altria?” Asked Serin.

“Nothing strange, the guards are up there, but they seem to just be ignoring us.”

The pair strode up to the gate. Once there Serin knocked loudly.

Thirty seconds passed before a small hatch behind an iron grill slid open. “The city is closed for visitors. No one may pass.”

“But we’re with the adventurer’s guild!” Complained Serin.

“I’m sorry orders. None are allowed to pass.”

“Really? We’re on an important mission. We need to get our information to the guild master as soon as possible.”

“Well, we can run a message…”

“Very well then, tell the guild master that Serin Staphenidie and Altria Ailouros have returned safely. They wish to speak with you urgently.”

“Okay Serin Staphenidie and Altria Ailouros. I’ll make sure….”

The guard was interrupted by another voice. “You idiot! That’s the catkin princess and a high ranking noble out there… Open the gate!”

The first voice fell silent.

The quiet was quickly interrupted by the sound of the gate’s mechanism springing into life. The gate slowly lurched open and we were met by several guards on the other side.

The guard that looked to be in charge quickly made their way towards us. “I’m terribly sorry, please forgive my subordinates ignorance. They didn’t realise who it was.”

Serin waved it off. “It’s okay, they didn’t know… But tell me why the gate is closed and entry to the city barred?”

“You haven’t heard?”

Serin shook her head. “I’m afraid we’ve been in the wild for many days now. We’ve heard little news in that time.”   

“Well…” The guard coughed and wiped their brow. “We’re at war.”

“We’re at war! You can’t be serious.”

“I’m afraid so.”

“But how?”

“The alliance, they’ve declared war.”

Serin spun towards Altria. “We need to speak to Lisa right now and find out exactly what’s going on.”

Altria nodded. “Right.” She turned and headed back to the carriage.

“Come on Theo.”

I had been thrown into a loop. “Eh right.”

We rushed back to the carriage after Altria.

Once we were back on board Rosa pulled the reigns and the carriage rolled forward through the city gates.

As soon as we were through the gates started to close behind us.

The streets were half deserted as we made our way to the guild. The only people that were out and about were either guards or adventurers.

Serin and I had been silent since we had climbed back inside. Neither of us knew what to say.

Liz leant forward, her gaze flicking between me and Serin. “You don’t need to say anything, I can tell just by looking at you two… Something has happened, hasn’t it? Something major.”

I simply nodded in reply.

“What did the guard say?”

Serin slowly looked up. “We’re at war!”

“War… Is it the alliance?”

“It is.”

“We were too late!”

“We don’t know that for certain. I don’t know any details, but I’ll admit it isn’t looking good.”

Silence descended over the carriage as we continued through the city streets.

Soon enough we entered the main square. Our carriage made straight for the foot of the steps under the guild house building. Rosa brought us to a standstill.

12