006: Dragon Ball
21 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

For regular update, follow me in royalroad. Chapter updated daily

Tired and frustrated of her fruitless effort, Mia slumped to the ground. She leaned against the woodshed. Her upset eyes wander aimlessly.

The pillar had lost its fighting will and stumped to the ground. Rusty stared longingly from across the lake. The fallen autumn leaves danced in the air and one landed on her palm. The leaves too, pitied her and sacrificed their selves to entertain Mia with their dance.

She held the scarlet red leaf in her hand. It was her favorite color. The warm color of autumn. Her eyes moved to the Emberflower beside her. The Emberflower bloomed in her favorite autumn color.

A gleeful smile spread across her face. How could she fail to notice it before? Ah, she wouldn’t be Mia if she found out things so soon. She trailed her finger along the dragon pattern carved on the flowerpot. Her eyes gleamed with excitement. It was the exact pattern the silver chest had but the round ball they chased after had a key engraving on it. Oyen too, noticed her odd behavior. His eyes followed her fingers and fell back on Mia.

“Are you thinking what I’m thinking?” Said Mia. Her mischievous intention took over her frustration she had a moment ago. The gloom in her eyes disappeared.

Baddie, who was no stranger to that look, shook his head and protested. Master will not be happy with this.

Mia ignored his protest and dug the dirt around the Emberflower. Tempted to smash the flowerpot, she took out her wand but Baddie stopped her.

Fine. She will leave the poor flowerpot then.

Her accomplishment amazed Oyen when the Emberflower came out from the soil unharmed. It was a rare achievement for Mia who had mastered the art of destruction. She was capable of drowning a fish or burning boiling water.

Today, she reached a milestone. For the first time, it wasn’t her fault their cottage caught on fire and she didn’t break the flowerpot. Had Mia finally grown up? Oyen hopes so.

“There’s something wrapped within the roots,” Said Mia.

Her pupils were bubbling over with excitement. She was barely able to resist the temptation of cutting the roots with scissors.

“Slow down, Mia, don’t destroy the flowers.” Warned Oyen, sensing her excitement getting out of control.

She put down the Emberflower on the ground and entangled the root. Yes, there was something in there. It glimmered in brilliant golden color. After many difficulties, the root released its grip. Wrapped underneath that roots was a round crystal ball with a dragon patterned all over.

“Dragon ball?” Said Mia. She held the ball closer to her face and observed it.

“No, it’s different. Remember the last time you stole one from the dragon? They don’t have a pattern like this.” Said Oyen. He placed his paws on the ball and rubbed it.

“There are so many types of dragons out there. For example, Dendragon.” Said Mia.

“Dendragon is not a real dragon. Don’t you study your own predecessor’s history?” Oyen scolded her.

“Fine. Edgar’s ball.” Mia said.

“Gross.” Oyen snorted.

“What?” She asked.

“Forget about it. Look at what the dragon was chasing after.” Oyen pointed at the carving.

“Are you suggesting…..” Mia patted the ball and smiled.

“Break it.” Said Oyen, who looked as curious as Mia.

“Edgar won’t scold us if we destroy this ball, will he?” Mia stared at Oyen, returning his curious look with a mischievous smile.

“For your record, you burned the cottage sixth time in ten years, drowned his precious book, accidentally set free his pet dragon, ruined his precious hair, lost his treasure and other things I can’t remember anymore… And now you’re concern about breaking a ball?” Oyen sighed and shook his head.

“You got a point.” Said Mia. She took the shovel and pounced it against the ball.

The moment the crystal ball broke apart, an imprint of their most wicked and dreadful Master came out. He floated around the black mist, his face staring at Mia, Baddie, and Oyen. Then, their worst fear came true.

“MIA!!!!”

The imprint shrieked. They closed their ears tight. Master or imprint, it doesn't matter. Both were monsters underneath that beautiful face. Fiery red smoke rose around him, like a burning fire. The imprint made a circle around them and shrieked again.

“DON’T TOUCH MY STUFF!!”

The stupefied victims paralyzed with fear. Satisfied, the imprint vanished like a cloud of smoke with a burst of loud laughter. Left behind where he vanished was a very small dragon-shaped key.

As terrifying the imprint could be, Mia was still glad. Master’s imprint was still there, and it yelled at her like the real wicked Edgar. Master was alive.

She picked up the key and tried to open the silver, but it wasn’t the right size at all. She frowned and marched around the woodshed for a long time until another revelation hit her. She knew that pattern! She saw it a lot of times!

She grabbed her Charm bracelet and put the key against the back of the Charm pendant. Carved at the back of the necklace was the exact stamp of the key. Mia placed the key against her pendant. A small hidden slot revealed itself. A key fell from the hidden slot.

“A key!”

She picked up the key and opened the silver chest. Her hand trembled with excitement and nervousness. What was inside the chest? What did Master leave behind that he took the extra measure to make an imprint of himself? Leaving an imprint consume one-tenth of the user’s mana.

Clack!

The lock opened. There was a round mirror with a handle and an ugly black stone inside. Underneath it, a letter. Confused, Mia opened the letter first.

You mischievous child!

How dare you pried inside my treasure chest!

Now that you have seen what’s inside, the mirror is yours.

Put back the damn stone and leave it alone.

I trust your judgment. Good luck!

P/S  Oyen, curiosity killed the cat.

     Baddie, stop crying. I don’t blame you at all. I know you’re innocent.

“He’s threatening to kill you!” Mia laughed.

“If he wanted to kill me, he would start with you first. By the time he’s done with you, I’m already miles away from here. Anyway, it’s a figure of speech but your little brain won’t understand that.”

“Have you ever heard of this? There’s more than one way to skin a cat. My little brain doesn’t know what it means but the kitchen knife might.”

“May your hair caught on fire.”

Mia picked up the mirror. It was a golden mirror adorned with diamond and emerald. It definitely belonged to her Master. No sorcerer or sorceress cares about such extravagance other than him.

“Wait!” Yelled Oyen, whose face looked disturbed. He grabbed the mirror and stared at it for a long time. “I couldn’t see my face.”

Mia pulled the mirror closer to her face, her jaws dropped and her eyes bulged. “Pumpkin! I can’t see mine too.”

Mia, Oyen, and Baddie take a turn to look at their reflection on the mirror. The trees, the woodshed, the pillars – it's all there, but where did their reflection go?

“Mia, the magic word. The magic word. You know..” Oyen tugged her cloak.

“Ah, yes, maybe it will work,” Said Mia. She held the mirror in her left hand and said the magic word. “Mirror, mirror on the wall, who is the most beautiful lady in the continence?”

To their disappointment, however, the mirror didn’t answer at all.

“Of course, why would Edgar keep that mirror hidden? He would want that mirror in his bedroom, or his pocket all the time.” Muttered Oyen. He wanted to know too, how handsome he was. But Edgar was stinky, he wouldn’t let anyone near the mirror.

Mia picked up the stone inside the chest. She turned it around, wrapped it in her palm, but it was just a plain boring rock who doesn’t bother to entertain them.

“Baddie, keep this in your pocket.” Mia handed over the mirror to Baddie. He grinned with a delighted smile, happy with such an important responsibility.

The last time he kept something inside his pocket was the time Mia begged him to hide her. Mia doesn’t taste good at all. It was one of his worst memory, apart from the time Edgar pulled him out from under the bed.

He opened his mouth wide and shoved the mirror down to his stomach. He let out a big burp and smile, his sharp tooth shone brightly.

“I didn’t know he could do that,” Said Oyen. Disgusted by his action, he couldn't take away his eyes off Baddie. If only he knew Mia once hid inside his pocket.

They scavenged the remaining of the cottage, but there was nothing left. The plates were broken, the pot was out of shape, and the grandfather clock was dead. All they found was his silver hands, now all crooked and stained black. Mia dug the piles of the burnt log where Sir Skeleton once stood. But he was no longer standing there, nor can he hold the cloak or staff anymore. His bones broke apart.

“Oh, Grandmaster Dendragon, how are you feeling?” Mia picked up his head and the rest of his bones, but his legs were nowhere to be found. Poor Sir Skeleton, he was dead once again.

“The enchantment is gone,” Said Oyen. “Come, let’s prepare him for the funeral.”

So Mr. Skeleton was buried once again inside the silver chest, hidden underneath the Emberflower pot.

“He was such a good skeleton,” Said Mia as she covered the ground with soil. “He was always patient even when I lost his bones and never once he complained for all the times he spent standing. Sir Frederik Dendragon was once a great sorcerer, an enviable skeleton, and forever our friend and Master. Rest in peace, Sir Skeleton. We’ll meet again when the times come. When I am strong enough to cast the spirit enchantment or when Edgar the Great build us another cottage again.”

1