Waking Up
149 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

     When everyone has left the room Ling Daiyu touches her forehead, this can't be happening, I am the head of The Black Jade Syndicate. I was in conference room...a man..my stepbrother Yang.. She grabs her head, it feels as though it is about to explode, a throbbing sensation causes her vision to blur. Before she has another thought she passes out.

       Daiyu's father and brothers are discussing her condition in the outer room. According to Ling Shan the old village doctor had said he was shocked she survived the fall, they should watch for any signs of confusion, memory loss, dizziness. If any of these occur they should summon him immediately. Ling Gu's body begins shaking, his hands at his sides trembling, if anything happens to his sister because of him... Ling Che sees his younger brother's agitation so he smacks him on the back of his head, “Gu, no one blames you. Daiyu is an impulsive girl and don't forget the Sun God protects her as his future wife.” Although the doctor said it jokingly there is truth in that statement. For all the mischief Daiyu has got into through the years she always remained unharmed.

     “Brother, may I go in and sit at her bedside for awhile”, He won't be reassured until she wakes up and smiles at him with her green eyes twinkling. Ling Gu has always followed her around engaging in whatever mischief came to her mind. Today they were supposed to go practice their martial arts with their teacher, Chen Xian, but she said the forest was too beautiful after the snowstorm last night, they should go play instead.

     After making sure no one saw them Daiyu grabbed his hand while sneaking into the forest. They pretended to sword fight with some long icicles then they prepared for a snowball fight. She tossed a firmly packed snowball hitting him directly on his nose, laughing she taunted him he was too slow to dodge it. Running away darting through the trees he could hear her voice as he chased her, “Too slow..too slow..” No one could out run Daiyu when she ran it was as though she was the wind her tiny feet barely touching the ground.. Panting he had followed her through the snow, he wasn't too far behind her when suddenly she disappeared. How did she fall down the cliff, they have played in the forest since they were little, she knew the cliff was beyond the tall fir trees. He needs to know what happened.

     “Gu she needs to rest. Why don't you go find her favorite snowberries for when she wakes up.” Ling Che wanted to discuss what happened to Daiyu without his younger brother present.

     “Father I have something to show you.” Ling Che reaches into his black robe pulling out a few red beads carved with the design of the Mystical Sun Demon Sect. “I found these in the snow not far from where we found Daiyu.”

     Ling Shan's eyes give off an ominous light as he takes the beads from Ling Che, “You say you found these by where Daiyu was lying? We can't wait any longer when she wakes up we need to find a place to hide her. Her sixteenth birthday is approaching they will be coming for her.”

     “Have you thought of somewhere Daiyu will be safe from Uncle Yang? If he sent his men once he won't give up until he captures her.”

     “That bastard! She is his niece yet he can't wait to sacrifice her in exchange for more power.” Ling Shan hates his half brother, after he drove him away from the village because of his evil associations he founded the Sun Demon Sect. When he found out about the legacy Daiyu inherited from her mother he has coveted her and the powers she will receive when she has her upcoming birthday.

   " I was lax in not paying attention to Daiyu's activities, I didn't think he would strike so soon.”

     “She has been given too much freedom, it is not your fault. I spoiled her since her mother's death, pampering her, allowing her to roam the mountain freely without constraints. It is hard to believe she will be sixteen soon.” He pictures a little girl with a dirt stained face holding a white snow rabbit by its long ears, “Can I make this bunny my pet?” The rabbit pleading with its eyes..No..No.. He begins to laugh recalling the scene. Now she is a peerless beauty, delicate jade like features like her mother's, truly a beautiful princess.

     “I have decided we should take her to the Northern Border, an old friend of mine is head of the Heavenly Light Sect there. He can take her as his disciple, after a few years it should be safe for her to return. Daiyu can train with him and learn healing arts. Her mother was his favorite disciple, he won't let harm come to her."

     Ling Che holds back a grin, “Doesn't that old fart shave the disciple's head when they enter?” He pictures his beautiful sister's silky black hair lying in a pile on the ground, Daiyu crying endlessly when she sees her shaven head.

     “...”

     “When your brothers arrive prepare to escort her as soon as she is able to travel. Yang will not wait before he attempts to kidnap her again.”

     “How do you think she escaped being abducted.”

     Ling Shan scratches his chin that is covered by a thick black beard, he was wondering that himself.“I will ask her when she awakens. Go now start preparing. Don't tell Gu of the plans he will want to go, he is too young for the treacherous journey. You will need to travel through the Valley of Spirits, the possibility of ambush is very high here as it is a winding road where purplish spirit mist can engulf you.”

     Ling Gu remains outside by the window listening to his father and older brother's conversation. Daiyu is in danger? She needs to go to the outermost region of the Kingdom? He had only met Uncle Yang once he had no impression of him, now he wants to kill him! He needs to accompany his brothers, he can become a disciple also to remain by Daiyu's side.

     After his father and brother leave he sneaks back in moving silently towards Daiyu's door, he carefully opens it staring at his sister lying under the covers. Her cheeks are flushed, her tiny white hands are clutching the quilt around her.

     He pulls up a wooden chair then quietly sits next to her bed not making a sound.

      Daiyu's mind is flooded with memories, hers, the girl whose body she is occupying now jumbled up together. Her brain feels on fire as she tries to sort through the images. Is this what she has read about in novels? Transmigration? She begins moving around under the covers.

     Ling Gu touches her forehead she is burning up. He rushes out then brings back a basin of cool water with a cloth. He gently wipes her forehead and her face. “I'm so sorry Daiyu!”

     Through a haze she hears a familiar voice, whispering she mutters“Jue is that you?..Yang said you were dead."  Tears start flowing down her cheeks. “Brother I missed you.”

     Ling Gu leans over to hear what she is saying, when did she see Uncle Yang? Jue is in the army he won't be back for another year.

     “It's me Gu, older brother won't be back for awhile. Did you see Uncle Yang? Did he do this to you, did someone push you? He still wonders how she ended up at the bottom of the cliff.

     Slowly she opens her eyes and grasps his hand, “Gu..” This girl's memories are full of this face, he is her younger brother she adores.

     “Don't try to talk, here , he lifts a medicine bowl to her lips, The doctor said if you woke up tonight to drink this medicine. She tries to drink the liquid but it is too bitter. Her little face scrunches up into a frown, “Gu, it's horrible!” He laughs seeing her with that look on her face, “You are such a baby!” He puts a piece of honeyed fruit into her mouth. Father must have left it on the table with the medicine knowing she would hate the taste.

     “Daiyu how do you feel? Does your head still hurt? “

     “Gu, stop looking at me like that! I will be fine” Daiyu blurts out trying to smile, she can sense the girl is very attached to this handsome brother of hers. She wants to make him feel a little at ease, seeing his sad appearance she feels a twinge in her heart.

     “I don't remember much” The girl's memories are vague at this point. She was running through the forest when a black clothed man appeared in front of her. She didn't recognize him as anyone from the village so she darted through the trees as he chased her, that is all she can recall.

     Who is Uncle Yang?

     Did her stepbrother Yang also transmigrate? If so she will make him pay for killing her family!

5