Trying To Adjust
151 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

     “Gu...could you go get me something to eat, I'm suddenly feeling hungry”, Daiyu can't look at this poor boy's eyes any longer, she isn't the sister he adores. How is she going to live this lie, this girl's family obviously loves her, she will be deceiving them with every word she speaks.

     The thought of living someone else's life disturbs her, but if Yang did transmigrate also she will have an opportunity to avenge her family. Maybe the Night Sky Corporation felt betrayed by him when he couldn't deliver the head of the Black Jade Syndicate so they killed him. It would serve that evil bastard right if he died a miserable death. She needs to find out more about this Uncle Yang.

     “ Do you want some snowberries? I picked some for you I will be right back!” Happy his sister is awake, he runs through the house to the kitchen. He fills a bowl with the translucent purple berries.

     While she is left alone Daiyu tries to make sense of her new situation. She shares the same name as the girl whose body her soul entered, is this why the gods chose to send her soul here? The girl's memories are beginning to flood her consciousness, her mother died when she was eight, she has four brothers and her father Ling Shan. They call her the Winter Solstice Princess? She doesn't quite know the significance of the title, just since she was young everyone told her she was betrothed to the Sun God. This all sounds like the plot of a novel, how will she survive here? Daiyu decides she will use the excuse of memory loss if any situation arises she isn't sure how to handle.

     Gu comes rushing back into her bedroom juggling a bowl of berries, “Have some of these while the cook fixes you a meal.” His deep brown eyes are shining seeing her sitting up with some color in her cheeks again, she was deathly pale when they brought her back from the cliff. He sets the bowl on the side table and picks one out for her, tenderly places it to her lips, “Your favorite!”

     Daiyu savors the flavor of the snowberry it is cold on her tongue, very sweet, she has always had a sweet tooth. “Thank you brother, it is delicious!” It reminds her of a purple red grape that has been chilled.

     In a pampering tone Gu, picks up another one teasing “Before I give it to you who is your favorite brother?”

     Laughing at his childish behavior she smiles, “You of course, because you went and got me my favorite snowberries!” Daiyu wants to see this handsome young boy smile, he looked so distressed earlier. It is the least she could do for occupying his sister's body.

     He pops it in his mouth, “Wrong answer, because I'm the most handsome of all the brothers!”

     Daiyu starts laughing her green eyes sparkling, “You are shameless, give me another berry” she reaches to grab it from him. It is a bittersweet moment as she thinks of her only brother gone from her life, but seeing this girl's brother trying to make her smile showering love on her. A tear forms in her eyes then rolls down her cheek.

     “Daiyu..” Gu worries when he sees she is getting upset. “Does your head hurt again?”

     She wipes her cheek with her sleeve, “No..no don't worry I was just thinking it will be boring staying in bed all day.”

     Gu knows how she likes to run around getting into mischief, “It's only for a day, I will stay with you so you aren't bored."

     The door opens and Ling Che comes into the room, he is even more handsome than Ling Gu. His facial features are perfect,his ink black hair is tied up in a silver hairpin, he has a dignified air about him.

    “Gu didn't I tell you to let Daiyu sleep?”, his tone is firm while looking at his younger brother.

     “Che, you know how Daiyu likes snowberries, she woke up so I brought her some.” Gu nods over at Daiyu for her to reinforce what he said.

     “Che, I was hungry, Gu isn't bothering me, I like having him sit with me.”

     “Well the doctor said you need to rest at least through tomorrow. How is your head?”

    “It doesn't hurt as much as it did.”

     “Gu go out I need to speak to Daiyu.”

     “But Che..”

     “Go.”

     “Daiyu, I know you don't want Gu to worry but you can tell me, how do you feel.” He is concerned, he needs to know if she will be able to travel as soon as possible. He steps over closer to the bed carefully fixing the quilt around her, then sits in the chair Gu had pulled to her bedside. Che takes her tiny hand in his strong palm, it feels cold to his touch.

     Daiyu studies his face, he has a serious demeanor, but he is surprisingly gentle as he placed the covers neatly on her body.

    “It hurts some when I move but if I sit still it isn't as bad.”

     He will need to implement some measures so the carriage won't react when they go over bumps in the road on the way to the Northern Border. The thought of Daiyu suffering makes his heart ache, if Uncle Yang makes another attempt to kidnap her he will wipe out the entire Mystical Sun Demon Sect. He hasn't done it yet because the other sects might find out about Daiyu's legacy, then he would have too many sects to deal with at once.

     “Father has decided you will be a disciple of the Heavenly Light Sect. Our mother was the top disciple before she married father, the old man is willing to take you in as his disciple. It is quite an honor, he hasn't opened the sect to new disciples in a hundred years.”

     Daiyu suddenly hears a voice in her head saying no don't make me go there, I want to stay here on Winter Solstice Mountain! She is overwhelmed by the thoughts of the girl.

     “Brother I don't want to go!”, her green eyes pleading with him. “Change father's mind he listens to you!”

     Che usually allows her to have her way but this time her life is at stake, he can't waver from their decision to send her there. “It is only for two years, you will cultivate, learn the healing arts, it won't be bad. Since the old monk is close with father he will allow familial visits twice a year.”

     “Twice a year? I can only see Gu..Father..You.. only twice a year? I'm used to my other brothers being away most of the time but I can't leave you three. NO!”

     Should he explain the dire situation to her, no she is not in the frame of mind to accept the reality of the situation. “Daiyu, you are almost sixteen, you aren't a child anymore. You need to advance your cultivation, you love picking herbs and making potions, this will give you an opportunity to grow as a healer.”

     Everything he says makes sense but she doesn't want to leave them so abruptly, why is he just telling her now, what is the urgency.

     Daiyu calms the girl's voice in her mind, there must be a reason for the need to depart quickly, maybe it has something to do with the girl falling down the cliff. Ling Che's face can't hide his worry as he tries to coax her into agreeing.

     “I will have the servants pack what you need for the journey, you rest.” Che starts to get up from his chair, Daiyu holds onto his large strong hand reluctant to let it go. “Brother will you accompany me there?”

      “Of course, I wouldn't let anyone else take charge of sending you there, don't worry Daiyu, once you get settled there you will enjoy being a member of Han Xin's Sect. He is admired throughout the Falling Star Continent for his teaching skills. Didn't you say one day you will surpass me?” he chuckles as he brushes her hair behind her ear.

     “The cook was finishing your meal as I passed the kithen I will send Gu in with it.” He pats her on her head then leaves thinking it won't be as lively around the village when she isn't here.

     Daiyu leans back, it appears this girl's life isn't simple. How is she going to find this Uncle Yang if she is isolated in this Heavenly Light Sect? Also, from the outburst in her mind, part of the girl's consciousness hasn't dispersed yet, that could be why she is experiencing the throbbing headache.

     A small servant girl enters and bows towards her, “Miss, I am going to pack for you”

     Daiyu nods. She closes her eyes wishing she could turn back time to when she was a little girl, happy with her mother and Ling Jue. Damn Ling Yang for destroying everything she cared about, then giving her no choice but to kill herself to save her honor. She clenches her creamy white hands under the quilt thinking of her final humiliating moments in that conference room.

     All I can do now is find a way to be happy in this strange world.

3