Chapter Thirteen
86 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"It is still so nice to find the two of you together like this."

Cross's eyes flicked open. A woman stared down at him with an amused smile. She had a gentle face framed neatly by long, gray hair.

"Mothe-Mistress Jiana." Cross hopped up to his feet and dipped into a low bow as his right hand came up across his chest. Beside him Lexi gave a simpler bow of her head, though her hand came up as well.

"I see you fared decently on your latest job, Cross," Jiana said, tilting her head to the side.

Cross wilted under her gaze.

"It was on the board," he mumbled. Jiana shook her head with a small sigh before the smile returned to her face.

"You know, I still remember when the only time you two would spend together was when you were fighting. Always causing a ruckus. Such an antagonist… weren't you, Alexis?" Jiana said, turning her eyes to Lexi. The young swordswoman dropped her eyes to the floor. "Now it's been quite a few years since you've last fought, hasn't it?"

"Well I wouldn't say that," Cross said ruefully.

"I agree. I wouldn't fight Cross for real, out of fear I may kill him on accident," Lexi said, shooting a sly look at Cross. He ducked his head, sulkily.

"Careful Alexis, confidence is an admirable trait, but underestimating your opponent may lead to your downfall… Though I must admit, I doubt that is the case with Cross," Jiana said, laughing as Cross lowered his head further. "Now Cross, I hear you brought something home with you?"

Cross let out a long sigh. "A Goddess, apparently."

Lexi turned her head towards him, her eyebrows rising in question.

"Yes, Servilia told me as much. I would like you to accompany me to see her," Jiana said.

"Yes, Mistress," Cross said. He gave Lexi's questioning expression a shrug and headed towards the stairs.

"I will meet you upstairs, I believe she is in Servilia's room," Jiana said, waving him on. Cross nodded and made his way out of the room, leaving Jiana and Lexi alone.

"You know, it almost feels as though you have been avoiding me these last few days, Alexis," Jiana said after a moment. "I've had to use Servilia as a proxy just to get a message to you after your last Hunt. Why is that?"

Lexi didn't answer for a moment as she fidgeted with a tassel of her scarf. "Mistress, aren't you upset with me?"

Jiana tilted her head. "Child, why would I be upset with you?"

Lexi continued to fiddle with her scarf. "My actions on my last Hunt were dishonorable to the guild. I should have restrained myself better. And before that I put both Banksy and Romeo in danger, and… and I allowed Cross to get hurt."

"Ah, I see," Jiana said as she lowered herself to the floor and copied Lexi's pose. "Tell me Alexis, which one of these things do you believe I would be most upset about?"

"I…" Lexi shook her head.

Jiana nodded thoughtfully as Lexi failed to answer. "Allow me to change the question, dear. Now, which of these things upset you the most?"

"That I allowed Cross to be hurt," Lexi spoke without hesitation. "I asked for his assistance on the job. It was my responsibility to keep both him and Banksy safe and I failed. I knew that the Followers were after the will and I still let Cross go alone, despite the fact that he's had previous problems with them. I should have gone with him. I should have prepared more. If Servilia hadn't sent Romeo…"

Jiana raised a hand, silencing the girl. She smiled and shook her head. "I am not upset with you Alexis. I was disappointed in your actions on your last Hunt, admittedly, but I never blamed you for the injuries that Cross sustained." She reached out and patted Lexi on the head. "There is nothing wrong with taking responsibility, but you cannot control everything that will happen. The members of this guild work here because they wish to do so. Cross helped you of his own free will. ”

“But I…”

“Do not worry so much. It does not do well for one to be so caught up in the past. You must live in the present and keep an eye on the future. Take the lesson and move forward."

"I… Yes, Mistress," Lexi said quietly, her eyes falling to the floor. “Thank you.”

"Good. I'm glad we settled that. Now, I must go see what kind of trouble Cross has managed to get into," Jiana smiled as she slowly lifted herself back into a standing position. Ascending the staircase she wasn't overly surprised to find Cross waiting for her a few steps up. He offered and arm and she accepted it.

"Not spying, were you Cross?" Jiana chided gently.

"I wouldn't dream of it." Cross said as they began to climb the stairs.

"I always am amazed at the progress Alexis has made." Jiana said with a content sigh. "I would never imagine she would be the one to fight to be the leader of her own team when she first came to us. She's grown into such a fine young woman, wouldn't you agree?"

"Are you going to give her a team?"

"In time, perhaps. Despite her skill, Alexis is still not yet ready. Though I admit she is close, she still has her own issues that she must face before she will be ready to lead. Just as you must learn before you will be ready to follow," Jiana said. Cross gave her a puzzled look but she only shook her head and smiled. "That is for you to find out on your own. Now, tell me about this Goddess you've found. I'm so very interested!"

Cross groaned.

2