Chapter Twenty
72 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

9 years ago

Alexis's eyes widened in pain as Cross spun behind her and gave her a sharp tap against the back of her knee with his sword. Her leg buckled for a moment, then gave out as Cross struck the same spot again with a well timed thrust. Dropping to the matted floor, she glared at him in contempt as he lightly touched the wooden blade to her throat.

"I win.”

He was painfully smug about his victories and it made her blood boil.

She pushed his blade away and got back to her feet. "Again."

“As you wish, Princess." Cross took up his stance and waited for her to strike.

Recklessly she lunged forward, aiming for a quick thrust to his chest, but Cross sidestepped with little effort. The blade passed by him and he slammed his fist into her stomach, forcing the air from her lungs. She dropped down to the mat, gasping. Cross touched the sword to the back of her neck, a smirk plastered on his face.

"Again." Lexi growled, staggering back to her feet.

"Your call." Cross sighed, spinning his sword around and waiting for her to attack first. Lexi did not keep him waiting long.

The wooden blades clashed together as Lexi tried to force Cross to move, but the older boy’s footing stayed firm, knocking her attacks away with ease before surging forward and catching her hard on her sword hand. Wincing, Lexi felt her grip begin to loosen. She tried to take a step back to compose herself, but Cross didn't relent, hammering at her with blow after blow until the sword finally slipped from her numb fingers.

Stepping forward Cross hit her with a quick strike to the stomach before sliding to the side and sweeping her legs out from under her. As she hit the ground, he stepped forward and pressed the blade against her throat.

"I win again" His eyes glinted in amusement.

"I believe that is enough, Cross."

Cross turned his head towards Jiana who had been watching the match with a blank look on her face. She rose up from her chair and picked up her own sword. Cross eyed it warily. He fell back into his stance but Jiana lifted a hand.

"You are done for the day, Cross. You may go." Jiana turned her head to Alexis. "Alexis, please stay."

"Mistress." Cross gave her a short bow, crossing an arm along his chest. He gave Alexis half a glance that she returned with a blistering glare. He let out a small sniff and exited the room.

Alexis sat up and slammed her fist against the ground repeatedly.

"Your persistence is admirable, Alexis," Jiana said as she idly spun her sword around. "However, no matter how many times you fight Cross, he is always going to beat you. Do you know why that is?"

"He's stronger and faster."

"Wrong. Despite your age differences and considering your magical pedigree, I believe you are comparable in strength to Cross," Jiana said. "You may actually be a touch faster than he is, and your strikes have the potential to be cleaner. However, it is your pathetically unstable emotions that make you vulnerable. Once he upsets you, Cross is able to read your movements quite easily and it makes him seem far more skilled than he actually is. Admittedly, he is currently more skilled than you. Though I'm sure you are already aware of these facts and are simply looking for an reason to excuse your own failings."

Alexis looked up at her with burning eyes and Jiana tutted.

"Exactly. You're angry. You feel insulted."

"I was insulted!"

Jiana lifted her sword up and tapped Alexis sharply on the head.

"Yes you were, and you will continue to be insulted, by Cross, and others who actually mean to hurt you!" Jiana barked. "And you will take every insult, every comment your opponent makes and you will learn to accept it."

"But-"

"Your anger does nothing but weaken you if it blinds you to your surroundings," Jiana said, her voice growing softer. "I am not telling you to ignore your anger, Alexis. I am telling you to focus it."

Alexis looked down. "Yes Mistress."

Jiana smiled. "Good, now go. You've done enough for today. I'm sure you are tired."

Alexis nodded and stood up. Replacing her training sword on the rack she hesitated.

"Is there something else, Alexis?" Jiana asked.

Alexis nodded, though it took her a moment to compose her thoughts. "Cross… Cross can use magic at will, like me, can't he? My father told me he is a clairvoyant."

Jiana raised an eyebrow. “To an extent, yes. Why do you ask?"

“I just… I’ve never met anyone outside of my family who can do that. I tried to talk to him about it but…”

“Ah,” Jiana almost laughed. “I suppose that didn’t go well, did it?”

“He didn’t even acknowledge me,” Lexi said, her hands balling into fists. “I... If he… If he still has magic, if he can use it freely, he should be stronger than he is. He should be more than he is. I don’t understand.”

Jiana regarded the young girl before her for a moment. "Tell me Alexis, what does magic mean to you?"

"Mistress?"

"There is no hidden meaning, simply tell me, what does magic mean to you?"

"It's… it's a part of who I am. Who my family is,” Alexis said, frowning slightly. "But it's more than that too." Jiana nodded encouragingly and Lexi continued. "It's freedom to become more than what I am now. It's power to lead, and the strength to protect those around me.”

Jiana smiled gently. "It's rare to hear one so young speak so strongly of magic."

Alexis reached up and toyed with her ponytail. "I know… I know a lot of people think it's childish, that magic is gone from our world, that it will never return."

"How do you feel?"

"I can't believe that." Alexis shook her head and lifted up her hand. A small black bead formed on her fingertip. Slowly it rolled down into her palm and rolled back and forth. A look of intense concentration formed on her face as she fought to keep the bead from fading away, but after only a few seconds she lost control and the shadow disappeared. She dropped her arm back down to her side, her small chest rising and falling from the effort.

"I know it's not much," Alexis said, her voice soft. "But when I use my magic, I can feel so much more hidden away. Like it's just out of reach." She met Jiana's eye. "I know it’s there. I will find it."

"And that, my dear girl, is why you are strong, and Cross is not," Jiana said with a small sigh.

Lexi shook her head. "I still don't understand, Mistress."

"Magic is not simply a tool for use. It's a way of life. An extension of your very being." Jiana explained. "You choose to accept it. You embrace it openly, and proudly. Cross, however… He does not."

"Is his power weak?" Alexis asked.

"No, far from it," Jiana said with a sad smile. "Though he would detest my saying so, Cross may be the one of the most powerful living mages in the kingdom, though he is far from in control of his power. As a clairvoyant, he is subject to the whims of the Void, as they all are. Or were."

"But with training he could control it, couldn't he?" Alexis pressed.

"Perhaps." Jiana gave a small shrug. " But I believe he has a rather troubled relationship with his power."

Alexis furrowed her brow. "Then he doesn't want to control it?"

"I cannot say. There was a time, once, when Cross trained his Seeing abilities on a daily basis, then one day he simply stopped."

"Why?"

"Again, I cannot say. He uses his Sight from time to time, willingly or not, though sometimes… Sometimes I do not believe he even wants to have anything to do with magic at all."

Alexis recoiled as though she had been struck. "How could anyone possibly feel that way about their own magic?"

"We all have our reasons, Alexis. Cross has not felt the need to inform me, or anyone else, of his and I have chosen to respect that. I hope you will as well."

"Of course, Mistress," Alexis said, bowing her head.

But the question still lingered.

2