Chapter Twenty-One
66 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"I still haven't been able to decipher this section," Banksy said waving his hand over a rather dense area of text and symbols. "But this part is pretty clear."

"What does it say, Nathan."

"It's a capture order," Banksy said, running his fingers along the lines. "From the description, it's for that girl Cross brought back, I think."

"That's not too bad," Cross murmured.

"And this part is a kill order," Banksy said, sliding his hand down.

"Well, that is." Cross sighed, rubbing his temples.

"I see." Jiana sipped her tea. "Is there a definitive target?"

Banksy shook his head. "No. Just to eliminate anyone who is in close contact with the girl." He looked up at Cross. "I'm guessing that would be you.”

"Well, this is a problem." Jiana said, sitting back and lifting a finger to her chin. She was silent for a long time and Cross began to drum his fingers on the table. She reached out and took his hand with hers.

"Calm yourself, Cross," she said softly.

Cross nodded stiffly. "Yes, Mistress."

Jiana gave him a soothing smile before turning back to Banksy. "Nathan, I would like you to finish the translation of these orders. I want to know everything, as soon as possible."

"Yes, Mistress," Banksy said as he stood up and grabbed the papers before dashing off towards his room.

"Cross, I would like you to stay within the guild for the next few days," Jiana said abruptly as Banksy headed up the stairs.

Cross balked at the request. "Mistress?"

"Romeo will as well." Jiana continued. "You have both been associated directly with Makina and the Sons. For your own safety, you will stay confined to the guild until we have more information on this matter."

"But-"

"This is not a request, it is an order," Jiana said, flicking her sharp eyes towards Cross. "You already have a bad reputation with the Followers of Jerrah, I do not want you to gain a similar issue with the Sons."

"But I…" Cross started but Jiana stared him down until he finally relented. "Yes, Mistress."

xXx

"I remember!" Makina said, bouncing excitedly around the room.

"I can see that." Lexi watched the girl with mild amusement. "But what exactly do you remember, Maki?"

"I remember Rah! And Terreh! And Typhi! And Aria! They are my brothers and sisters."

"Are they now?" Lexi said with a small smile hidden behind her scarf.

"Yes! But Aria took care of me the most because I'm a Spirit God of the wind, like her. And Rah he…." Makina faltered. Her hand came up to her mouth and her slim shoulders began to shake.

Lexi reached out towards her. "Maki?"

Makina turned and thrust her finger out towards Lexi, her eyes shining with unshed tears. "I demand you take me to the Mistress of the guild. Immediately!"

xXx

"I took the liberty of sending more security to the orphanage and alerting the town authorities that we suspect further Sons activity," Servilia said, reading off of her notebook. "Vidis's team has agreed to stay in town for the next few days as well, as a precaution."

Jiana nodded. "Thank you Servilia. I believe that will be all."

"Mistress," Servilia said with a small bow before returning to her desk, Dante in tow.

Jiana looked over at Cross who was rolling a cartridge between his fingers. His eyes were closed and a look of deep concentration hung heavy on his features.

"Everything will be alright, Cross. This guild has weathered for worse problems in its time."

"Mmmmm," Cross replied, flicking the cartridge up with his thump and into the air and catching it.

"Mistress!"

Cross opened his eyes, looking up as Lexi descended the staircase with Makina a step behind her. The silver haired girl looked surprisingly serious as she brushed passed Lexi and stopped directly in front of Jiana.

"I wish to hire your guild!" Makina declared loudly.

Jiana looked over Makina to Lexi who only shook her head. She brought her eyes back down to Makina and gestured for her to sit down. Makina shook her head.

"There is no time for discussion," Makina said. "My brothers and sisters are being held captive. I demand you free them at once!"

"Held where?" Jiana said, leaning forward.

"I… I am not entirely sure." Makina said, glaring at the ground. "But I am sure that man, Balan, he knows. You must press him for information!"

"I'm afraid the Sons have already entered the custody of the town guards. We would have to request access to them. It could take a day or more," Jiana said.

"There is no time for that!" Makina snapped. "They have my family!"

"Makina, please try to understand," Jiana said gently. "I wish to help you, but you are not giving me much information."

"But, my… my family," Makina’s breathing began to speed up. "The Sons have Aria, and Typhi, and Rah, and Terreh. They will never let them go. I have to… Before… I have to…"

"Makina!" Cross jumped from his chair as the girl's eyes rolled up into her head and she listed to the side. Reaching out, he caught her just before she toppled over. Holding up her light frame with ease he looked to Jiana. Her brow furrowed for a moment before she gave a single nod.

"Cross, please take Makina to her room. Lexi, please do not allow Makina to leave the guildhall without my consent until this matter is settled. Keep her within your sight."

"Yes Mistress." Lexi bowed her head.

Cross nodded as he picked Makina up and held her lightly in his arms. Looking down at Jiana he hesitated. "What are we going to do, Mistress?"

"We are going to wait, Cross." Jiana said, suddenly sounding very tired. "That is all we can do right now."

In his arms, Cross could feel Makina's small frame tremble

2