Chapter Twenty-Six
58 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Cross clutched the railing of the ferry with such a tight grip his knuckles had long since grown white. The foamy waters below bounced the ferry up and down at a sickening pace. Beside him, Makina stood still as a statue, completely unperturbed by the turbulence.

"The sea is angry here," Makina said softly as she reached her hand out, letting the breeze slide along her fingers. "The air is sick, too."

"Is it now?" Cross grit out as the boat lurched and his feet momentarily slipped out from under him. He clung desperately to the railing until he managed to regain his footing and right himself.

"Yes." Makina reached out and placed her small hand on his arm. "Do not worry, they know not to hurt you. Because you belong to me, you see."

"Right, then. Wonderful," Cross muttered as the boat continued to fight against the waves. Leaning a little ways over the edge, he spied the waiting harbor to the Kingdom of Ash and felt his body relax slightly. Until the boat lurched again and Cross suddenly longed for the safety of a train car.

“Are you scared?”

“No.” Cross’s words were not particularly convincing as he pulled himself tighter against the railing. “I just prefer land.”

“Can you not swim?”

“Let’s just… Not talk for a bit, okay?”

The final few minutes of the trip seemed to drag on for an eternity, but finally they reached solid ground and Cross nearly leaped off the boat. Taking a moment to compose himself, he reached down and took hold of Makina by the shoulder as she tried to pass him.

"Don't say anything until we get a room at the inn. Keep your hood on and eyes down," he ordered softly as he steered her through the harbor and away from the other passengers. Heading towards the end of the harbor he saw a few guards stopping people at random. Cross forced his gaze not to linger and kept walking straight ahead.

"You there! Wait for a minute please." One of the guards stepped in front of them and held up a hand. He was a portly man with a large, round head. "Good afternoon."

"Afternoon." Cross dipped his head in greeting.

The guard gave them a once over, his eyes lingering on the hooded Makina. "Coming from Voy?"

"Yes." Cross moved his hand to rest on Makina's head. "We've come to pay our respects to her ancestors before she comes of age. They died during… Well, I'm sure you know. "

The guard's features softened. "Of course, my sympathies."

Cross reached into his jacket. "If you need to see our papers?"

The guard waved his hand. "That's alright. Please, enjoy your stay in Trinst and pay my respects to your family."

"Thank you, it is much appreciated," Cross said, moving his hand to Makina's back and beginning to walk. After they had walked a sufficient distance she angled her head up towards him.

"You lied to that man."

"Yes, I did," Cross said, trying to remember where the inn he had stayed in last time he had visited Ash was located. "I've traveled to Ash many times. The guards never really cause trouble, but I've found mentioning death of family is effective as getting passed them. Jerrah killed a lot of people, families left, but they still come back to pay their respects and maintain the graves. Besides, I don't have papers for you. That would have been a problem."

"It feels wrong to take advantage of the dead."

"The dead have far larger problem," Cross said as he led them down the street and stopped in front of a small inn. Leading Makina inside, he purchased a single room for the night. Accepting the key from the innkeeper, he headed up the stairs with Makina in tow and pushed into the small bedroom.

"This is a rather pitiful room," Makina sniffed as Cross fell into the single, rickety chair that had been placed next to the window.

"Shockingly, I didn't bring much money with me when I went chasing after you last night."

"I suppose it does not matter." Makina swept back her hood and ran a hand through her long, silver hair. "I believe it is time to devise a plan."

Cross shook his head and pointed at the bed. "Sleep first."

"But-"

"Sleep," Cross ordered. "You've been up for too long, we both have, and we're not going to be able to go do… whatever we are doing here, during the day. So get some sleep. I’m not exactly a tactical genius over here and neither are you. Being tired isn’t going to help."

Makina hesitated for a moment before nodding. Taking a moment to remove her boots, she crawled into the bed and pulled the pillow under her head. Cross watched her out of the corner of his eye until she closed her eyes. Content, he pulled the curtains shut and allowed his own heavy eyes to close.

"Cross?" Makina called out quietly.

"Hmm?"

"You truly believe me now, don't you? That I am a Spirit Goddess?"

"Yeah, I believe you Makina.” Cross sighed the words out. Makina went silent and for a moment Cross thought she had fallen asleep.

"Cross?"

"Mmmmmm?"

"Then you… you will save my family, won't you?"

Cross didn’t answer immediately. He opened his eyes and stared at Makina’s small form. She wasn’t looking at him, her face buried into the covers. Even in the dark he could see that she was trembling. He repressed the sigh that threatened to slip over his lips and gave a small nod.

"I’ll save them.”

"Promise?"

The words were heavy on Cross's tongue. "I promise."

xXx

Cross woke up in the pitch black room to the unfortunately familiar sound of a door being kicked in. He jumped to his feet, but received a boot to the chest before he could fully gain his footing. Slamming back into his chair he froze as something sharp was pressed against his shoulder.

"Cross!" Makina screamed from the bed.

"Hey hey hey! Wait for a moment!" Romeo's voice cut through the darkness and the lights in the room flickered on.

Lexi stood poised in front of Cross with Nightmare held before her, the tip of its blade just pressing against Cross's shoulder. Makina was halfway off the bed, her body still tangled in the sheets. In the doorway, Romeo had one hand on the light switch and the other shoving against Banksy's face as Banksy tried vainly to push into the room.

"Lex?" Cross breathed. Slowly he lifted a hand up and pushed against the flat of Nightmare's blade. Lexi glared at him before relenting and allowing him to push the weapon to the side and down.

"Well, that was pretty easy," Romeo said as he finally let Banksy into the room. "Alright, pack up you two, time to head home and get into trouble."

"Cross," Makina called out.

"I can't go." Cross met Lexi's eye. "Not yet."

"You were ordered to remain at the guild. Both of you," Lexi said, flicking her eyes to Makina for a moment. "You will return. Now. You're already in more trouble than you can imagine."

"No."

"Cross." Lexi breathed, her hand tightening around her sword. "You allowed Makina to come here, into enemy territory. Do you understand how stupid that was? Do you even have a weapon? Of course you don’t. Can you even fathom what the Mistress would say if she was-"

"Makina says her family is here." Cross cut her off.

"She also believes she is a Spirit Goddess, Cross." Lexi waved her hands towards Makina. "We cannot protect her here, we need to return to the guild and-"

"She is. Makina is Spirit Goddess" Cross said softly as he stood up. Behind Lexi, Romeo and Banksy glanced towards Makina.

Lexi tilted her head up to look at Cross and raised an eyebrow. "You believe her, now?"

"I…" Cross hesitated for a moment, eyes flicking to Makina then back to Lexi. “I saw it. I swear on my life I saw it. I don't know how or why, but she is. She isn't lying, Lex. She never was."

Lexi's eyes widened for a moment before returning to a glare. "Regardless, It changes nothing, Cross. The Mistress gave us orders. You will return home. Now. Romeo, Banksy, assist Makina. We are leaving.”

"She also taught us to think for ourselves and do the right thing. Spirit Goddess or not, if her family is here we have to do something." Cross shot back. "I won't leave without them."

"Cross."

"Lex."

“Please.” Lexi’s sword tilted ever so slightly. “Don’t make me force you.”

Romeo and Banksy both took a step back as Cross’s arms began to come up. “I made a contract and we both know I can't break that.”

“You can’t win this.” Lexi said softly. “You know that.”

“I won’t walk away from this, Lex. Even if that means going through you.”

Lexi stared at him and lowered her stance, lifting Nightmare into position. “I will do my best to not hurt you more than necessary.”

“I know you will.” Cross’s ring finger bent inward.

"Wait!" Makina stepped off the bed and between Cross and Lexi. "Please, Lexi."

"Makina." Lexi's gaze softened and her shoulders slumped ever so slightly, her sword lowering. She lifted up her hand and rested it on Makina's head "Please understand, I'm trying to keep you safe, and Cross as well. We are in enemy territory and they are after you, specifically. Every moment we stay here the more danger we are in. Even if I could help, we don't even know where to begin looking.”

"Actually… I might." Banksy piped up from the corner of the room, drawing everyone's attention. "That info we got from the Sons. I went over it on the train and I might, might, might know… where they were going to take Makina."

"Look who isn't completely useless!" Romeo said, punching Banksy hard in the arm. "Well, I'm sold."

Banksy ignored him. "I can't guarantee anything, obviously, but I'm pretty sure."

"You want to be a Leader, right Lex? You wanted to represent our guild and help people?" Cross took a step towards her, holding his hands in surrender up as Lexi leveled her sword at him. "Do it. You've got your team, right here. Banksy, Romeo, and you know I've always got your back, no matter what. So please… Lex.”

Lexi looked around the room, her dark eyes resting on each individual. Banksy nervously fiddled with his necklace. Romeo flashed her a glowing smile. Makina looked up at her with watery, blue eyes, and Cross gave her the faintest of smiles.

"What's it gonna be, Lex?" Cross asked so softly only Lexi could hear, his eyes locking with hers. "You ready to lead me?"

“The Mistress will not be happy.”

Cross’s smile grew. “And?”

"We have one night." Lexi spoke with a clear and confident voice, breaking eye contact with Cross and addressing the room. "We find Makina's family. We free them. We go home. Tonight. If we fail, we return to the guild. If I decide the situation is too dangerous, we return to the guild. No arguments. Understood?"

"Yes ma'am." Cross smiled as he glanced down at Makina. "Don't worry. That'll be more than enough."

Makina nodded as Banksy walked over to the bed and pulled out his crude map along with another one he had purchased at the harbor. Laying his over the new one, he traced his fingers along a route.

"If this is right, then the Sons are using one of the sewage systems entrances to move in and out of the city. See this right here? It extends further than the map I bought, so this should be the entrance, just outside the city walls, which means…" Banksy tapped the map. "Their base location should be here."

Lexi peered at the map. "That's very close to the city's barracks."

"They might be one and the same." Banksy said. "I would bet on the fact that they are connected. This might lead to a basement or sublevel."

"So we're going to go up, through the sewers, and then possibly break into the military barracks." Romeo nodded thoughtfully. "I like it. Couldn't have planned it better myself."

"We have the element of surprise on our side, at least" Cross said, staring at the map.

"That may not be true." Lexi countered. "The Sons killed Balan before he could talk, but they know his orders were confiscated."

Cross frowned and Lexi stared at the map, her eyebrows furrowed. Reaching out with a delicate finger she tapped against the map. "Romeo, how many bombs did you bring?"

"A lot." Romeo beamed.

"With the Intel we have, we have to assume the Sons are working with the military," Lexi said. "If that's true, we will need a distraction. Something to remove the majority of the guards from the barracks."

Romeo's eyes lit up and his fingers began to twitch. "Does that mean?"

Lexi sighed. "Yes."

"On it!" Romeo said, already heading towards the door. Lexi reached out and snagged him by the collar. Pulling him back she glanced at Cross. He sighed and nodded.

"We'll rendezvous here then?" Cross asked, pointing at the map.

"Do it within the hour," Lexi said, releasing Romeo.

"Won't even need that long," Romeo cackled, mind already racing with all the ways he could cause mayhem.

Cross kneeled down next to Makina who had been watching the entire proceedings in a state of stunned silence. "Ready to save your family?"

Makina lifted her head up and wiped her sleeve across her wet eyes. "Of course I am. It has taken you far too long to start helping, you know. "

"My mistake." Cross reached out and patted her on the head. Standing back up he turned to Lexi. ""Keep her safe."

"Of course." Lexi nodded. "You two… Be careful."

"Always am!" Romeo called, already out the door.

"You too, Princess." Cross said, reaching out and tugging Lexi's hood down passed her eyes. He glanced at Banksy and the two shared a solemn nod before Cross followed after Romeo.

The door clicked shut behind him and the remaining trio stood in silence before Lexi gave a curt nod.

"Alright, we need to get into position. Makina, make sure you stay close to me," Lexi ordered. She turned her eyes onto Banksy who was staring at the maps with a concerned expression.

"What if I'm wrong?" Banksy muttered, half to himself.

"You're not," Lexi said, slapping him hard on the back. "You never are. You're the best at this, Banksy. I wouldn't risk our lives on this if you weren't."

Banksy gave a shaky nod, grabbing the maps and stuffing them into his jacket. "Alright, I'm ready. Let’s go.”

2