Chapter 22: If You Wanna Learn About The World Go Out And See It
54 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ah, not another rant. Haruto eyed Thomas with pity, “Thomas, are you one of those types?”

“What? What types, young master?” Could he be respecting me as an explorer of the truth? Perhaps he is not so bad, those who enjoy history will always be friends.

Haruto’s head slumped into his hands as he groaned, “The types that go on and on with nothing but useless filler. Do I look like someone who enjoys filler content? Huh? Do I look like a Bleach Filler Fan? If it ain’t Vasto Lorde, I ain’t watching. Do you understand what I’m saying, man?”

Having no clue what Haruto was on about. Thomas apologized, “Uh, I’m afraid I am not knowledgeable on this tale of Bleach or this being called a Vasto Lorde…” Is this Vasto Lorde another interdimensional being? Is our planet such backwater that not one of our experts has reached the stars?

Haruto nodded as it was expected. Perhaps my vast array of anime will be epic tales on this world, I'll replace the other MCs' names with my own. “Oh, fair enough. In so many words, I’m saying that adding this useless information has eaten up the whole day. Anymore exposition and imma just start punching. Ask my history teacher back on my homeworld. I have the attention span of a baby who just found out how delicious their toes taste.”

Thomas stole a look at Haruto. Maybe he should just get punched to death. I will wait for him to drop his guard and make my move then. Bah who cares if you are from another world, I will show you how frightening the one and only lich can be.

Seeing the look, Haruto humphed, “I know I’m a handsome young boy Thomas, but it’ll never work out. Half-dead freaks just aren’t my type… Now quickly take me to the closest tavern, perhaps I will run into a beautiful waitress.”

Swallowing his anger, Thomas picked up a new wand, levitated a bunch of gold into a magical sack and handed it to Haruto. “Now, young master. I, your faithful servant, will lead you to a small tavern an hour’s way from here to taste this world’s civilization.”

“Good old sport. Now you are speaking a language I can stomach. But, I fear others will lose their appetite upon seeing your decrepit mug.” A cruel smile became plastered on Haruto’s face. Nothing better than some good ole trolling even on another world riling someone’s jimmies is enjoyable and relaxing ahh.

Half of Thomas’s face descended into a frown. But through pure willpower alone, the other half remained a disgusting forced smile. “Young master is truly altruistic. But worry not, I have certain artifacts at hand to cover my “aged” figure.” A golden necklace and ring appeared on his neck and finger. He then transformed into a dashing 6’ 0 blonde hair blue eyed young lad.

Haruto whistled at Thomas. “You truly clean up nice. Hehehe”

A gentleman’s smile was on Thomas’s disguised face. He half-bowed, asking, “What about you young master shall I prepare an artifact?”

Haruto looked around the cave searching for who in the bluest of blue hell Thomas was referring too. “Me? What nonsense are you dribbling about? Do I look like a half-dead freak of nature? Nay, this one is completely confident in his looks, since coming here the beadiness of my eyes have decreased by half. Do you hear me half! I’m what you call a chick magnet now!!!”

Ignoring Haruto and his eccentrics, Thomas walked out of the cavern and levitated into the air. Haruto following behind him, gawked at the sight but quickly hid the look. Thomas looked down, awaiting Haruto to fly after him. The two stared at each other in silence. 

Finally, Thomas sighed in understanding, "Going by land is the more scenic route, young master. I suggest we allow you to better acclimate to this planet and its laws." Stupid how could I not discern that traveling between worlds had repercussions? Am I an explorer of the truth or a hillbilly who just learned of the magic railway? Thankfully, his eccentricism allowed me not to embarrass myself.

Haruto internally cheered for the misunderstanding but kept a stoic look on his face. "I am in no rush. Though the backlash from the immense restraints of the universe has removed my ability to fly, I am more than capable in other areas." Like my capacity to lie. It is untouched.

The journey should have been a quick one. Unfortunately, the two traveled by foot instead, changing the journey from an hour to over 4 hours. 

The cave in which Thomas called home was found on the outskirts of a dwindling forest. In the past, the kingdom that owned this region steered clear of the forest. This was due to the rumor that the fabled elder lich from an ancient empire occupied the forest. The lich’s power was said to rival the Grand Magus level and was supposedly close to achieving the mythical status of Earth Distorting Magus. Earth Distorting Magus could turn mountains into plains and deserts into beautiful forests. Their powers were immense, maguses of this level were rare. 

However, changes were happening. The fear of the unknown is a strong repressor of human curiosity, but greed was another story altogether. Besides, the reported numbers of victims had been on the low side and only consisted of commoners, so who cares right. If the lich was really a problem, the holy church would have sent inquisitors to handle it. Hence, the only problem with the forest was the lack of roads and good maps. Thus there has been a push to claim this forest and wrestle it under the kingdom’s control. With the increase of travelers and adventurers, the mysterious forest had lost its mystique.

After being in the ancient forest of the other world, Haruto was a bit unimpressed with the dark, muddy, and all-around bleak forest he found himself in. Hell, the ancient forest was beautiful and had a multitude of life, should this even be considered a forest. “I see no wild animals around Thomas. Did your face scare them away?” Haruto’s keen senses failed to notice any animals at all in a 5-mile radius, which he found strange. 

Thomas’s now handsome face was utterly unresponsive to the diss. He answered, “No young master, I believe the increase in humans coming through the forest has had an inverse effect on animals traveling along this path.”

The two continued walking under the night’s sky, as the dirt road they traveled on continuously improved in appearance. 

Finally, after Haruto was utterly bored out of his mind, the road turned into a shoddy cobble one. Not too far ahead, a shanty village could be seen. The village was modest in all aspects except for a giant castle. The castle sat opposite the way from the forest being the main focal point for travelers arriving from the path. The castle was an eyesore as it stood out of place as the villager’s homes were not as large, and most were made out of wood instead of stone.

The village lacked a gate which disappointed Haruto, who hoped he would have to trick some gate guards into letting him into the town on arrival. The moon had reached its apex in the sky, making it the perfect time to get drunk and have light to stumble back home under. A lively tavern could be seen in the middle of the village. Currently, it alone was producing 75% of the man-made light source, and loud cheering could be heard. 

Walking to the tavern, Haruto’s nose crinkled as something horrid assaulted his poor nostrils. Is this how all superhumans feel? Does Superman just smell shit, 24/7? Where is the comic explaining how people with superhuman senses avoid smelling sewage and dog shit from a mile away? I can only hope these people know how to shower, or my harem plans will have to wait until the invention of soap.

As the two came closer to the tavern, Haruto noticed a stable was on the direct other side from it. 

Ah, it is more convenient to have the stable close to the place one would head to first. The average joe would most definitely not smell it from here, but alas I Haruto am too great. Becoming lost in thoughts of grandeur, Haruto forgot to open the door for himself. Noticing this, Thomas decided to earn some ass-kissing points, and hurriedly opened the door. 

Thomas decided to enter first, so Haruto would not have to talk to anyone. Who knows what this eccentric otherworlder would do. If I play my role right even if I don’t find the opportunity to kill him, perhaps, he will reward my compliance. Though he is eccentric, his power is real.

 The bar was filled to the brim with an array of individuals from ordinary farmers to trained adventures to quite questionable types and even nobles. Of course, these groups were not mixed.

The nobles were in the farthest back with the best decorum and were served by beautiful waitresses. Many fatties and pompous looking fellows were around. Guards were standing watch around the gathering, eyeing everyone down. Periodically one could hear applause and toasts signifying something significant was happening. Also present was the sound of gossip about the exploits of family heads. The atmosphere of this group was thick with formality and arrogance.

The ordinary citizens crowded around the bar wherever a spot was open. Most had to go directly to the bartender when they wished to order. Some of the poorer ones could be seen bartering with the bartender. As a native of the village, the bartender knew who and who not to give freebies. Still, many of the faces were relaxed and enjoyed the cheap ale to their heart’s content. All the villagers knew each other like one big family. There was a lack of etiquette and boundaries between each other, making their side the most welcoming and intimate.

The trained adventures occupied the center as a natural barrier between all other groups. Multiple tables had drinking contests as groups tried to prove their strength. Some weren’t drinking and looked quite presentable, hoping to find some work. A chorus of voices spoke of their heroic or death-defying feats with most sounding utterly unbelievable, but still getting warm reactions. One look at the adventurers present told that they weren’t famous, high ranked, or experienced. Most were wearing incomplete leather gear, and cheap iron swords on their hips. But the natural aura of an adventurer was still felt. All the adventurers present were filled with aspiration and spirit to explore the unknown. Even those who told fictitious recounts had eyes that gleaned with passion and imagination.

In a poorly lit region, lurked the questionable types who eyed all other three groups greedily like vultures waiting for an opportunity to strike. Whispers could be heard, but their contents were well hidden. No one drank heavily, only sipping from one drink showing their caution. As the most street-smart of the other groups, there was nothing superfluous in interactions, but always something beneath the surface. Good guys wouldn't have a good night if they drank among this group. 

The aged Thomas quickly understood the situation and natural balance of society, so he decided to head towards the adventurer section. His choice was simple to make. The commoners would recognize the two of them were strangers bringing unwanted attention. Though Thomas may pass off as a noble, Haruto's physique would bring unnecessary trouble. The questionable types, were venomous snakes, who would probably think Haruto was a sweet prey worth selling into slavery. Who knows how the strange and eccentric Haruto would react if angered, a bloodbath would likely start. The only choice was the more progressive and accepting adventurer section. 

Unfortunately for Thomas, Haruto had awakened from his daydream and noticed the beautiful waitresses in the back, so he strode towards that area. “Come now Thomas, forget the sausage fest.”

0