Chapter 35: A Butler Is A Man Who Strives For Perfection
32 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Deeper within the forest, Alfred marked points of interest where Requis was most likely to move through and set magical sensors at them. The deeper Alfred went, the faster he began placing the sensors, and the more concentrated they became. If my hypothesis is correct, that boy has already been noticed by Requis, which should buy me plenty of time. 

Alfred headed deeper into the forest and began making weird marks on the trees as if a predator was marking its territory. The more predatorial-demihumans mark their claimed regions in this fashion. The further Alfred went into the forest, the more he felt a presence becoming trained on him, but no blood lust came from them, so he ignored them. At the halfway point between the cave and Requis, Alfred placed a few carcasses of dead animals varying from wild rabbits to giant rats, and finally, some hunting dogs. 

A clearing was opened up not too far ahead, which was quite strange in the forest abundant with moss and other decay. Here should do. Alfred rolled up his sleeves and meticulously began creating a fight scene. Alfred drew back his fists and made a few indents into the ground. Then he poured water on top to mushy up the ground making the hits seem old enough to have been covered by rain. Alfred sprinkled a bit of three-week-old blood around the scene, with a trail heading towards the cave, but disappearing halfway through. 

Finally, a half-destroyed body was laid in the middle of the cleared path with even more blood surrounding it. After that, Alfred began to refine the body to be more convincing, adding dirt under the victim's nails complete with feces and urine. With that done, he placed some worms and other insects into the body to imitate the natural decay of a body being left in the forest. Wiping his hands with a handkerchief, Alfred admired his work. If I had more time this could be better. 

Alfred leapt into the sky, quickly disappearing into the forest. Landing in a tree, Alfred looked towards the direction he sensed Requis and Clarence. But quickly, his head snapped in another direction. It appears some puppies are coming out to play.

Back over at Requis and Clarence, the two were still moving steadily towards Thomas’s cave. Once they reached about halfway into the forest, both felt eyes preying upon them. 

Requis continued to move unabated. But Clarence slowed down a bit and whispered to Requis, “do you sense that I fear we may be being hunted, perhaps there are more demihumans in this forest.”

Requis slowed down a bit but stayed relaxed. “Nonsense, there have been no reports or records of demihumans living in this area. Whatever is looking at us is most likely a wild animal.” Requis sniffed around in the air a bit and looked intently towards a clearing. He pointed, “Over there is a bit more interesting than whatever is staring at us.” Requis began to leisurely walk towards the clearing. 

Clarence stuck close to him until a putrid smell assaulted his nostrils. Clarence gagged, “Ah, what is that horrible smell?” Clarence fought hard not to puke on the spot.

Requis took a deep breath and laughed, “Come on, lad, this can’t be the first time you have smelled death. Hahaha”

Clarence, in between gags, retorted, “I have never smelled something so foul in my entire life. I spent most of my time training, not on the battlefield.” I can’t believe he is taking such greedy breaths of this stench. 

Requis surmised, “Hmm, from the smell, this place has been like this for a couple of weeks, perhaps a battle took place here.” Requis carefully approached the area and began examining the battered ground. “Come here, lad, and take a look at these craters.”

Ah, Hell, NO! Clarence remained rooted to the ground, not wanting to head any closer to the area. And especially not wanting to reply as the stench would invade his taste buds if he opened his mouth. 

A wry smile became plastered on Requis’s face, and he shot a few winks at Clarence. He coaxed, “Quickly, this may be relevant to that boy you have a vendetta against.” 

In a nearby tree, Alfred monitored the situation. Hurry up, boy, be useful, and confirm the authenticity of those markings. Alfred looked back towards the eyes as a pressure appeared somewhere near them that had begun heading their way.

Hearing that clues of Haruto may be present, Clarence steeled himself and slowly approached the crater. With his breath held, of course. The crater was a bit deformed by water and the night sky did little to assist in viewing the finer details. But, Clarence, who was in a hurry for revenge and, more importantly, to get away from the smell. Hastily nodded his head in affirmation.

Seeing this, Requis stopped looking at the crater and began to investigate the rest of the area. Coming upon a tree with markings, he mumbled, “I haven’t seen markings like this since that time a tribe of tiger demihumans appeared in the mountains. They were a rambunctious bunch and quite territorial." Perhaps Boris was speaking the truth. Requis touched the markings on the tree, though they felt similar to a knife marking, Requis was convinced the snake demihuman would have such fine nails for hunting. Looking around, he noticed a trail of blood. He followed the scent of blood until it disappeared in the direction where he assumed the cave was. There is only one way to find out. Requis determinedly headed towards the cave

Clarence quickly followed behind him and as he greedily sucked in air, asked, “Shall we consider the boy is demihuman and head back to town and post the quest?”

Requis gazed around and shook his head. “No, I’ll still like to see him with my own eyes. Besides, we have guests.”    

Clarence glanced around in confusion, “I don’t sense anyone nearby.”

Requis only chuckled and stared into the darkness that was obviously not natural. 

Alfred in the tree also stared intensely at the uncanny darkness permeating throughout the forest. Little puppies out to play so soon? 

Deep purple eyes appeared in the void but oddly did not illuminate their surroundings. Following this, many red eyes followed suit, appearing like a horde of demonic creatures. The wind disappeared, and an unnatural silence reigned over the forest.

Only now did Clarence notice that they were surrounded by all sides, and his natural instincts began blaring warnings to him. He subconsciously took a step back and dryly swallowed. He attempted to see the creatures but was unable to penetrate through the darkness.

2