24. A Man’s Promise
1.4k 3 45
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The final day dawned. Neither said much as Xueling prepared to leave. She wore a fresh set of golden yellow robes and put on makeup and jewelry so that she looked prim and proper. She turned from a beautiful woman back into a dignified princess. The transformation was so drastic that Gray even forgot to eat breakfast.

“Fairy sister, you look great, like the queen of fairies!” He said in awe.

“Thanks…”

She went outside and took out a short metal rod that had some characters carved on it. It was a long-distance message talisman that would be able to reach her father from practically anywhere in the world. It did so by overpowering certain laws of the world and was extremely expensive. It was the only choice as she did not want the possibility of someone intercepting the message.

She spent a huge amount of spiritual energy to power up the talisman. It then shot off into the air with a bright flash of white light.

She watched the light disappear and sighed. She looked around at the forests and mountains around her, a home away from home, a place she was starting to really like. But she couldn’t stay here. It was time to leave this place.

 She called out to Gray and he quickly came to her side. “I’ll be leaving soon. Come on… don’t make that face. I’m glad I met you. I’m glad it was you who saved my life. Thank you.”

He nodded and smiled at her.

“This sword is too valuable for you. It will cause you more harm than good.” She said and took back the treasure sword she lent him.

He nodded again.

“I think that the sword might not be the most suitable weapon for you, so in the future, try out different weapons and find the one you like best.” She said.

He continued to nod and stare at her like a puppy.

“I promise, I’ll take good care of your treasure gem… You are already a cultivator… You don’t need to stay in these mountains anymore. Go out and experience the world after I am gone…”

“Why are you just nodding? Say something!” She asked in a huff.

“Will you marry me?” Gray said with a huge smile.

“…”

“Oh, you’re speechless now?” He teased. “Is that a yes?”

“… Gray, you have to train hard.” She said, not answering his question.

She once again went into teacher mode and scolded him for his laziness. She emphasized the need for persistence when facing a bottleneck. She tested his memory to make sure he still remembered the contents of the tome. She told him about all the details and potential pitfalls of cultivation she could think of.

The pair sat together on the rocky outcrops of the cliff that overlooked the valley and chatted away the last few moments…

Xueling looked up at the sky when she sensed a familiar spiritual signature.

“It’s time.” She said and they both stood up.

A turquoise metallic plate appeared beneath her feet. A pair of wings made of spiritual energy extended and she drifted into the air.

“I will see you again. I promise.” Gray called after her.

She wanted to say something profound back to him but her thoughts became muddled and she could only nod. Without another word, she floated upward, farther and farther away. She watched him until he became a mere speck on the ground. She turned around and sped up, finally leaving the King’s Mountains and Gray behind.

Xueling rose high above the valley and flew due east. She didn’t have to go far and soon a line of figures appeared in the air in front of her. The five newcomers wore the same golden-yellow robes as her. They were either middle age or elderly and all except the one in the center bowed as she approached.

“Welcome back, Princess Sun!” They said.

The middle-aged man in the center with a neat hair knot and greying beard flew forward until he was in front of her. He looked her over with emotion in his eyes before patting her shoulder and letting out a sigh.

“Ling’er, I’m glad you’re safe. I was worried.” The man said, his voice deep yet gentle.

It was her turn to bow, “Father… I was incompetent. Three weeks ago, I lost my attendants and all my troops to ambush and I was heavily wounded as a result. Thank fortune, I was able to survive.”

“Thank fortune!” The other four replied.

“Thank fortune, indeed.” Her father muttered and checked her over with his spiritual sense. “You suffered a lot… but it seems you also gained some benefits on this trip?”

“Just some minor insights during battle.” She lied, “Father, do we know who was behind the attack?”

He grunted and looked displeased, “Don’t worry, dear daughter. I have taken care of some rebels within the sect but they were merely expendable assets. The true enemy remains elusive. But we can discuss that after we return home. But first, tell me how what happened here in the last few weeks and who is that man you were speaking to before you flew up.”

Her good mood disappeared, “… Father, nothing happened. He’s only sixteen, just a boy. He is a mountain peasant that found me after my horizon escaping shuttle landed. He protected me from wild beasts and other vile men. Don’t worry, your precious daughter is still pure and virtuous.”

Her father frowned and looked behind her at the mountains.

“He’s still standing there like an idiot staring in our direction. We’re so far away, he can’t even see a single thing.” He scoffed and finally relaxed, “Whatever, fine. Let’s return.”

“Yes, sect master!”

A golden sedan chair appeared out of thin air and the four guardians each placed a handle onto their shoulders. Xueling didn’t say anything else and sat down inside. With a massive storm of spiritual energy, the party set off towards the east, back to their sect.

---

Gray watched until the group in the distance finally disappeared. He was happy that she was finally able to return home, like a fairy returning to her heavenly world. He was awed by the power that the group displayed, five powerhouses at the Spiritual Sky Realm at least. No, from her stories, he knew they were much stronger than that.

It was an intimidating scene and a call for him to work hard. He was the strongest in this valley. But outside of here, he was simply weak like an ant. The cultivation road ahead of him was long and uncertain.

His heart was sad but it was also filled with determination. He was born an orphan with nothing but now he had dreams. His wife was waiting out there in the world. Adventure and riches could also be found there.

He promised that he would see her again. He was a man and he couldn’t break his promise!

45