49. Problem Solving
145 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Gray found a random piece of land in the northern mining fields. His nearest neighbors were the Red Sun Gang and the Jade Wish Mining Company. He could have picked a more isolated spot but there was safety in proximity. Some vendors also traveled around selling food to the miners and they wouldn't bother coming if there was only one person to sell to.

Gray planted his flags to mark his claim, dug a small hole to hide from the sun, and took a nap until sunset. He was used to relying on his eyes so he hated wasting energy like a common miner.

His strength had greatly improved since the last time he mined. It was only one level in the Spiritual Strengthening Realm but it was a big difference. If he was at the first level, he would have been able to match that baldy’s record of six hundred fifty kilograms but not much more. Now, seven hundred kilograms was way too easy. He could have gone up to nine hundred kilograms without breaking a sweat. Over one thousand was within reach if he fully activated his spiritual sea and the Tome of Glorious Fortune.

“Meat buns! Get your meat buns!”

A voice drifted over the wind and knocked him awake. He got up and rubbed his eyes. The sun was setting and his stomach grumbled. He had packed some stale bread and dried meat for this mining trip but fresh meat buns sounded a lot better.

“Where?” He asked no one in particular as he jumped out of his hole.

Some distance away, a frail-looking man with a long white beard stood in front of a pushcart, surrounded by several miners. Gray found his money bag and rushed over.

“Meat buns, one silver for five or twenty-five copper for one!” The vendor shouted at him.

Gray frowned at the price. It was twice as expensive as the delicious Jade Pork Buns back in town. He hesitated but his stomach quickly told him otherwise.

After biting into the first bun, he realized why business wasn’t great and that he had been ripped off. The meat bun was smaller than he expected. The flour was yellowish and it was stone cold. The meat inside was mixed with too many vegetables. It was flavorless and did not come from a spiritual beast. There was no trace of spiritual energy at all.

He almost threw the buns away. Almost.

In the end, it was still better than plain bread and the money had already been spent. He silently cursed the evil cook who made such a terrible meat bun and the stingy merchant selling it. If it had been a year ago, he would have eaten something like this with happy tears pouring down his face. Now, he was spoiled for taste, especially having experienced the endless array of high-quality and nourishing dishes that Alisha made every night.

He didn’t want to admit it but he missed those dinners. Anand’s easygoing company and Alisha’s pretty face certainly livened up the meals. Out here in the plains, he had nothing except plain, cold food.

When the sun disappeared completely, when it should have been dark enough for Gray, he discovered an unexpected problem. It simply wasn't dark enough.

At first, it was his neighbors who refused to go to sleep. They continued mining after dinner, using torches and lamps to light up the night. When they finally stopped and extinguished the lights, the moon shone down from the cloudless sky. It was so dazzlingly bright that he could have read a book if he knew how to read.

Gray sat down in his hole absentmindedly. He wasn't used to so many setbacks after years of non-stop success as a mining monster.

He looked around the mine and at his belongings. He rummaged through his tools, sacks of food, and heavy water bag several times, hoping something unexpected would pop out and solve his problem. He counted his coins, polishing the gold ones over and over. He even ate a bit of food to top off his stomach but nothing special happened.

He sighed loudly, looked up at the sparkling night sky, and then back down at the dirt beneath his feet.

To his surprise, something did appear… a genius idea.

He grabbed the water bag. Unlike the thin and cheap cloth sacks used for food, the water bag was made with thick leather and had tight seams. It held enough water to last a hard-working miner a whole day.

He unplugged the stopper and drank as much he could before dumping the rest onto the ground. Once empty, he used a knife and cut the narrow top part off. He didn't care that it was now ruined. He had a far better use for it.

He peered inside and, like a crazy person, placed the bag over his head. It was big enough and even sagged on his wide shoulders. He grabbed the loose end and wrapped it around his neck, forming a tight seal. A passerby would have thought he was trying to kill himself but he obviously wouldn't do that. He was testing out what was perhaps the single greatest idea in his life.

The moon and stars above disappeared into complete darkness. The water-proof leather bag made sure to let in no light whatsoever. Satisfied with this result, he removed the bag and laid down on the ground. He placed his face flat on the ground until his nose touched the dirt and once again covered his head with the bag. This time, he used his hands and arms to flatten the leather bag around his face, forming another light-proof seal.

There was a brief moment of nothingness as his eyes adjusted… and then there was light!

The ground beneath lit up in an ethereal mosaic. Pinpricks of cyan-colored stars mixed with bundles of pale white fog. It was a thrilling sight.

"Hahaha! I am the best!"

He couldn’t stop laughing. He was ecstatic. He no longer had to care about the moon or the stars or anything else ruining his time. Now, no matter when or where, he would be able to see!

He went to work with renewed enthusiasm, picking a cyan-colored star that was brighter than the rest. He dug furiously into the soft clay-like soil. His pickaxe became a blur. He was a mining monster, someone born to mine all the ores and gems of the world!

The light he aimed for steadily increased in intensity as he got closer. He checked his position every so often with what he now called his seeing bag. Finally, a chunk of earth disintegrated and collapsed down the side of the tunnel. With it, a tiny gem the size of a grain of wheat tumbled down and into view. It was square-shaped with a perfect cyan hue, the color of jade.

The completed Book 1 with 105 chapters is available for download in Ebook and pdf format on my Patreon at https://www.patreon.com/kigreenwriting

Please leave a comment, a shoutout, or any critiques you may have.

Thanks for the support!

4