58. Interlude: Seeking Her Own Way
164 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In a land far, far away from Jade Hill Town, there was a mountain range equally as impressive as the King’s Mountains called the Golden Mountains. In fact, it had even higher peaks and deeper valleys.

The King’s Mountains were spread out over a vast length, serving as an impenetrable wall that separated different regions. The Golden Mountains had no discernable structure and merely covered a vast expanse that was rich with resources and spiritual energy.

These mountains were the holy land of the Fortune Sect. It was the source of their vast wealth and where their members came to cultivate. In the sect’s lore, it was where their ancestor first developed the Tome of Glorious Fortune and gained peerless strength…

In a particularly deep glacier valley, ringed by seven snowcapped peaks, a young woman in golden robes sat completely alone. There was a layer of snow on her head and shoulders but she did not care. She had not moved for a whole day. She was wholly concentrated on absorbing spiritual energy from the mountains all around her as well as from the huge yellow gem clutched securely in her hands.

Xueling had separated from Gray for nine months already. In that period, she had been single-minded and dedicated to her cultivation. She placed the failure of the mission not on traitors or assassins but on herself. If she was stronger, she could have done better. If she was stronger, her people need not have died.

Spiritual energy collected around her in a golden bubble. It filled her with gentle warmth, immeasurable strength, and intimate familiarity. The Seven Peaks Reflection Valley was the natural source for half of her spiritual energy. The other half, of course, came from the heavenly citrine in her hand.

She was surprised over and over again by the gem. No matter how she used it and summoned forth spiritual energy, it still held an endless well of reserves within. It was truly unfathomable and gave her feelings that the valley was incapable of.

Each day, before she started to cultivate; she would give silent thanks to the strange boy from the mountains. She didn’t realize it but Gray was slowly worming his way into a place of permanent residence within her thoughts. With his gem in her hand, there was no chance she would ever forget his image or banish his memory.

In the past nine months, she had made great progress in her cultivation. She started at the 2nd Level of the Spiritual Impulse Realm and she had already broken through once in only six months. She was still only eighteen and by all measures of the sect and the cultivation world, she was a true genius.

An ordinary genius would only be accepted into the sect if they reached the 1st Level of the Spiritual Impulse Realm by the age of twenty-two. These were extremely talented people and the best of the best. Even the cultivators that were raised in the sect itself would struggle to meet that mark.

Xueling was different. She belonged to the class of true geniuses; ones that could stand shoulder to shoulder with the best from other famous sects and great powers. However, she was unsatisfied with this and sought to raise herself even further, to an indisputable position.

Real experts didn’t care about geniuses. They didn’t care how young one was or what level in the Spiritual Impulse Realm they reached. What mattered was the Spiritual Sky Realm. It was the most important boundary for human cultivators, the realm that separated ordinary cultivators from powerhouses that could fly.

The status between someone that could fly and one that walked on the ground was the difference between heaven and earth. The difference in power and prestige was immense as the sky. In her sect, a Sky Realm expert would be awarded the position of an elder without question. And that would allow her certain freedoms to make decisions independently...

Xueling’s quiet cultivation was eventually interrupted by a rush of familiar spiritual energy that descended from the sky.

“I thought I said I didn’t want to be disturbed.” She said, her eyes still closed.

“What, a father can’t come by to see his daughter?”

She opened her eyes and stared expressionlessly at her father, who landed in front of her. He gave her a disapproving look, ignoring the gem in her hands.

“Good daughter, come back to the sect. There are plenty of spiritual crystals there for you.”

“No.” Xueling answered flatly.

She knew that back at the sect, there were surely one or more suiters lined up to meet her.

She grimaced at the thought of marriage. She wasn’t against her expected duties but she wasn’t ready to settle down, not with any random man. She wanted to explore the world, slay demons, and properly fall in love.

“Oh, you’ve made great progress towards the next level already! Great work… but, I don’t remember the Seven Peaks Reflection Valley being this good.”

Yichen Sun swept his spiritual energy over her once more, but once again he passed by the giant yellow gem like it didn’t exist.

Xueling could only shrug. She couldn’t explain it but Gray’s gem didn’t seem to ‘exist’ for other people. They couldn’t see it, they couldn’t sense it, they couldn’t even touch it.

She didn’t want to reveal the gem to her father in the first place but she had been too careless one day and the gem was still out when he visited. However, to her surprise, the gem refused to show itself to anyone but her.

It was a strange yet fortunate ability and it saved her a lot of trouble and unnecessary questions. The gem was a secret between her and Gray and she would not reveal it to anyone.

“Daughter, you don’t have to work so hard every day.” Her father said awkwardly, “Your dream… while it’s admirable…”

He sat down beside her. “I will support you with whatever you choose to do, but eventually, you have to separate your dreams from real life. It is something everyone must do eventually.”

She understood his words and his intentions. He was practical-minded and dealt with what was tangible in front of him. He did not have the cultivation talent of a true genius and put his efforts into managing the sect and its finances more than anything else. He married many times, often not out of love but for the benefits they would bring. The result of his efforts increased the sect's wealth to heights not seen outside of its heydays. However, he was unable to find the respect that other great powers commanded.

The unfortunate truth was that absolute strength was far more important than money. The Fortune Sect had not produced a supreme expert for a very long time. What her father managed to accomplish without absolute strength was quite commendable but Xueling was not satisfied. He was a pragmatist and fought to maintain the status quo but she dared to dream and envision a brighter future.

She dreamed of returning the Fortune Sect to its rightful place among the pillars. She wanted to bring back the honor and respect that was lost for thousands of years.

“Your mother was a dreamer, too.” Her father said after some while, “She believed that miracles can happen and that a single person could achieve great things and shock the world.”

He glanced over with a small smile, “Without doubt, she believed that… since she managed to marry the future sect master of the Fortune Sect. You remind me so much of her, you are like her in every way.”

“Father, I am like mother, that is true, but I am also like you. I understand my duties and I will fulfill them when the time comes. However, I will not abandon my dreams either. I refuse to compromise on either one. Therefore, when the Holy Coalition gathers in six years, I intend to participate.”

“Xueling, you don't have to do that!”

She shook her head, “I want to go and I have to because when that time comes, I intend to already be in the Spiritual Sky Realm.”

Yichen was skeptical but he saw the determination on her face, “Let’s say you are able to reach it, what then?”

“I will join the coalition, not as a useless rich princess but as someone with true strength. I will exterminate demons and make a name for myself. I will make the name of Xueling Sun and the Fortune Sect resound across the land.” She turned to her father and finally, her expression softened, “And perhaps, on the battlefield, I will meet the person who is right for me… just like how I met your mother.”

Father and daughter stared at each other for a long time. It was a battle of wills and a battle of personalities. Finally, the elder wavered under the youthful, steely gaze.

“Fine, fine.” He sighed and gave in, “Since you are so determined, I will support you, just like always. It is the least I can do to honor your mother… Twenty-four is still young for a woman, especially at the Spiritual Sky Realm. I will put a pause on your matchmaking until then but understand what this means. Your competitors from within the sect will only grow greater in number.”

“I know.” She said.

Her father had many wives and concubines. It was his duty as sect master and also the practice of their people. Although her status as the only child of his first wife was immovable, there were many children of all ages and talents. They were all competing for the position of future sect master, who could only be male due to custom. If she married and had a son, the position would go to her child without question. However, with just herself, the future was uncertain.

Yichen Sun nodded in satisfaction. He waved his hands and a familiar set of brilliant gold armor appeared on the ground.

“The Resplendent Gold armor managed to save your life so I’ve spared no effort to procure you a new set. It was finally completed and delivered today.” He said. “Don’t get in so much trouble next time.”

Xueling’s heart warmed and she gave him an appreciative smile. They were often at odds with each other in the past few years but the bond between a father and his most favored daughter still held strong.

---

The completed Book 1 with 105 chapters is available for download in Ebook and pdf format on my Patreon at https://www.patreon.com/kigreenwriting

Please leave a comment, a shoutout, or any critiques you may have.

Thanks for the support!

7