Special Guests Part 2
146 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Vaughn stood there in shock. His hands were trembling, his heart racing. He wanted to cry so badly, but his body wouldn’t let him. It wouldn’t let him do anything, not even take proper breaths. Gamila and Joiyan stood there and watched him, further panicking Vaughn.

Snap out of it, Vaughn thought. He took a deep breath, then another, and another. He regained his composure. He had a duty to do.

“Allow me to escort your gift in and you to your accommodations,” said Vaughn. “If you’ll take me to your camp, I can show you where you’ll be sleeping and where to deliver your gift.”

Joiyan and Gamila lead Vaughn far outside the village, completely separate from the other makeshift camps. The camp was centered around three wagons and a few tents. In the center of the three wagons was a small campfire, around which a dozen or so men still wearing their armor huddled. The wagons were more sophisticated than anything Vaughn had ever seen. Vaughn was used to what were no more than giant crates on wheels pulled by oxen. If the trader was wealthy, then maybe there’d be a permanent cloth awning over it. The Tevanese wagons were small houses on wheels, complete with four walls, a roof, and doors adorned with intricate patterns. There were no oxen, either. Their camp only had horses, six of whom were far bigger and stockier than the horses of Gwyrfydd.

When Vaughn stopped admiring the craftsmanship of the carriages, Joiyan and Gamila waited at a small cart at the far edge of the campsite next to where the horses had been hitched for the night. Joiyan called out to his compatriots in Tevanese while Gamila just stared at Vaughn, moving her gaze up and down in an unnatural manner. Combined with the necklace, it sent chills down Vaughn’s spine.

“Altar Keeper,” said Joiyan.

“Sorry, I can’t come over there,” said Vaughn. “I can’t be near those beasts of yours; the Priestess would be angry with me if I came back smelling like a horse.”

“You thought I needed you to pull it? That’s what the escort force is for.” Four of the soldiers had already gotten up and approached the cart. “I was going to say we’re ready to head back into Penmawr.”

“Really? I don’t have to help pull it?”

“No, you don’t. You’re our guide, not one of our steeds.” Joiyan pet one of the draft horses munching on hay.

The four soldiers, Joiyan, and Gamilla pulled the cart closer to Vaughn.

“Lead the way, Altar Keeper,” said Joiyan.

Vaughn led them back into the village. The compatriots spoke to each other in Tevanese, which Vaughn still did not understand. Their path took them to the path along the river. The other side of the river was drastically different from their current side, the wall of trees a stark contrast to the short grass on their side of the river. As campsites gave way to the market, people once again stared at the foreigners gracing Penmawr and at the Altar Keeper.

Vaughn’s heart skipped a few beats. Oh no! Am I slacking off? What’ll they say to the Priestess? I can’t afford to get in trouble I should do something I need to take over for them!

Vaughn moved closer to the shaft pulling the cart to slide his way in front of Joiyan. As he slid his hand onto the wooden shaft, a hand was placed on top of his.

"Altar Keeper,” said Joiyan.

Vaughn ignored him. He automatically slid his hand backwards to where Joiyan’s hand once was.

“Altar Keeper.” 

Vaughn tightened his grip and walked forward. 

Vaughn felt a strong tap on the shoulder. “Altar Keeper!”

“I can’t stop,” said Vaughn. “I need to help if I do not help then I would not be doing my duty.”

“We’re in the village, Altar Keeper. We need you to guide us.”

Vaughn looked up and saw they were just past the gate. “Oh, my bad. So if you follow the path to the temple and take a right, you’ll come across a house with a porch on it. That is your place tonight.”

Joiyan spoke to Gamila in Tevanese. She walked off towards Vaughn’s house. 

“Let’s get you all to the storehouse,” said Vaughn. The cart pulling resumed, going through the commons and turning onto a path on the right. 

“Out of curiosity, what gift did you bring us?” said Vaughn.

“Jars of fruit, some meat, cloth, and soap. Things for the festival and after,” said Joiyan.

“Ooh, the famous Tevanese soap,” droned Vaughn. “This will please the Priestess greatly.” 

They continued their journey until they reached a fork in the road near the shrine to Drustan.

“Alright, so the storehouse is to the left,” said Vaughn. “The cooks will be glad to have extra food.”

“Thank you, Altar Keeper,” said Joiyan.

“My pleasure,” said Vaughn in a scripted manner.

Vaughn left Joiyan to the whims of the cooks. He dreadfully walked to his temporary abode - the House of Males. The House of Males was a long, small, cramped abode at the edge of the village walls where spare men, men who were either single or belonged to multiple wives who could not agree on sharing him, resided. Each step that brought Vaughn closer to the House of Males added a drop of dread in his soul. Vaughn despised the House of Males. It was always filthy and disgusting, plus most of the occupants never got along with Vaughn. Vaughn got along with the women of the village way better, at least those who didn’t treat him as a lesser being. 

Vaughn entered the House of Males. It was just as he remembered it. Bunks stacked 4 high lined the walls, laundry strewn about the bunks and the floor along with bits of hay from the walls and dirty dishes. The only clean place in the whole building was the one table where a group of guys gathered for a game of cards. Vaughn glanced at the table and saw Berwyn, the only person he really knew here.

“Berwyn!” Vaughn quickly waved.

Berwyn got up from the game and approached him.

“Vaughn, you little trouble finder,” said Berwyn. “Finally joining us in the House of Awesome I see.” 

Vaughn nodded. 

“So what finally got lovely Rhia to give you the boot?” Berwyn brushed the curl of red hair sticking to his forehead to the side. “Did the scrolls tell her to remove ‘male impurities’ or something?” 

“No, no no no no no no no no no no!” Vaughn said as he raised his hands slightly up. “It’s nothing like that. We were required by the Priestess to let the Tevanese sleep in our house and she didn’t have room for the both of us.”

“Ah,” said Berwyn. “There’s a spare bunk towards the back. If you want to join in, we got a card game over at the table.”

“No, thanks,” said Vaughn. “I have to be at the ceremony.”

“You have enough time for one round.” Berwyn ruffled his hand through Vaughn’s hair. “Come on, it’ll be fun.”

“Sorry, Berwyn. I really can’t stay for long.” 

Vaughn fast walked to the back of the building. There in the second to last column of bunks in the bottom row was an empty bunk. Vaughn glanced back at Berwyn. Once Berwyn was back at the table Vaughn fervently ran his hand through his hair. He inspected his bed for the night.

Great, no pillow or blanket, Vaughn thought. Now I have to go deal with the Tevanese again. I should have enough time before the opening ceremony.

Vaughn walked out of the House of Males and sprinted across the village to his hut. All the lanterns for the festival had been lit and people meandered about waiting for the opening procession. Vaughn saw his own house already lit up and smoke rising from the central chimney like a beacon. The thought of someone else in his house just made Vaughn’s stomach churn. He pushed himself harder, now speeding to his house.

Vaughn banged on the door. The door opened, revealing none other than Gamila. Vaughn’s eyes were instantly drawn to that necklace once again. Something about it kept drawing him in, like a moth to a flame.

"Hello, Altar Keeper,” said Gamila. “How I help you?”

"Can I have a pillow and blanket from the bedroom?”

“Yes. Enter house.”

“I can’t,” said Vaughn. “You’re not my wife. It’s forbidden for me to ent-” 

Gamila grabbed Vaughn’s hand. “No. You enter.” 

Gamila dragged Vaughn inside and directed him to the couch. Vaughn reluctantly sat down as she went into the bedroom, giving Vaughn time to see if she and Joiyan had done anything to his home. Luckily they had only lit a fire and laid small white sheets and ink pens out on the table. His scrolls remained safe, for now. Gamila quickly returned with a pillow and blanket in hand. She carefully set them on his lap.

“Thank you very much,” said Vaughn.

“It was nothing, really,” said Gamila. “Is there anything else I can retrieve for you? Clothes? Bread? Canteen?”

“No, not rea-” Vaughn paused. Something was out of the ordinary. Gamila had spoken his language, and with an air of confidence to it, too.

Vaughn’s mouth hung agape. “How are you suddenly fluent in Gwyrfyddish? You didn’t even sound like a foreigner there.”

“I lied!” exclaimed Gamila. “Afterall, I have to keep this ability a secret from my colleagues.” Gamila let out a quick chuckle. “I can’t believe the look on your face. That was priceless!”

“Hold up,” declared Vaughn. “Why can’t they know? This seems like something that would be very helpful for things like missions to Gwyrfydd.”

Gamila let out a chuckle. “Quite the inquisitive one, aren’t you Vaughn?”

“You shouldn’t call me that, Lady Gamila” said Vaughn. “I’m the Altar Keeper and should be addressed as such.”

“Gamila is fine. There is no need to maintain that mask when with me. Especially when we are in your quaint abode.”

“What do you mean?”

“We all don masks. Myself as a scribe for an envoy of Tevan and you as an altar keeper for this temple. People do this for a variety of reasons. Some do it out of familial obligations, others due to having no better alternatives available to them. We can’t wear our masks indefinitely, though. Eventually the weight of hiding ourselves saps the energy from everyone. We need to take the mask off to keep our sanity. And from what I observed since my arrival is your soul is screaming at you to remove your mask, yet you do not. Maybe you do for small bits of the day, perhaps when you are alone or are with your wife? Or perhaps you are forced to wear it consistently. I cannot say for certain which is the truth, but I know for certain that one of them is correct. I do not wish to compel you to wear that mask in your own home or disrupt your routines while I am here. What I am attempting to communicate is that you do not have to put on your mask around me. If that means spending time here, that is fine with me. I would very much enjoy the company of someone as interesting as yourself.”

“I’m not inquisitive,” said Vaughn. “Not one bit. I have everything I need.”

“I know you are, Vaughn,” said Gamila. “I see it in your eyes. The drive to better yourself through seeking the truth. You know that what you have been taught is not entirely true. Why else would you be teaching yourself to read with those scrolls.”

Vaughn went wide eyed. “W-what scrolls? I don’t know how to read. I’m not supposed to know and have no reason to learn. They must be my wife’s. Yes, that’s probably it. Rhi- I mean Diviner Rhianon must have brought them home with her and left them on the shelf.”

“Whatever you say, Vaughn,” said Gamila snidely. "It’s not like anyone would find out you taught yourself to read. I cast a spell that makes sound unable to leave this house.”

Vaughn let out a chuckle.

“Why did you laugh?”

“I’m not stupid, Lady Gamila. I know magic is fake. My mo- I mean the Priestess has claimed she knows magic for years and even has the Diviners believing it. But I’ve seen how it works and none of it is magic.”

“But magic is real. I’ll show you.” 

Gamila started drawing a pattern on her arm only to be disrupted by the opening of the front door by Joiyan.

“Gamila!” said Joiyan. He glanced at Vaughn. “Oh, and Altar Keeper. I’ve been knocking for a whole minute. Why didn’t you open the door?”

Gamila replied in Tevanese. Joiyan spoke back.

“Altar Keeper,” said Joiyan. “It looks like the ceremony is about to begin. A bunch of people were making their way to the temple.”

“Oh shoot! I have to leave! I can’t be late again!” Vaughn bolted up from the couch and ran out the door.

3