Chapter 6: Dragon and Mage (Part 2)
218 1 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

They kept hugging for several seconds before Lein let go, clearing her throat. She changed the subject to move on from that embarrassing moment.

“... S-So this is a World Tree. So there’s two of them now in this continent?”

“That is correct.”

“This one here appears to be fully grown. Could this stand on its own now?”

Lein wanted to know if her friend was now free from her responsibility. Perhaps, Galeila can now freely roam around. Well, the tree she saw before was way taller than this, but this one looks sturdy enough.

“It appears so, the number of Wisps have already increased. I suppose it almost can.”

“Hm, so why are you still here then?”

“I have nowhere to go. This has been my home, Lein.”

“Is that so?”

“Plus, it’s a good place to hide from the council. I don’t want them to find and start bugging me.”

Lein chuckled. “I guess so. I even had a hard time finding this place. Good thing knowing the Vilicus is here, that’s how I figured there’s a high chance you’re in this part.”

Lein turned around to look at where Rume was. The little girl was looking at the two of them. She appeared to be concerned, she heard the two of them quarrel after all.

Lein waved at her, trying to convey that everything was alright. Rume seemed to have understood the message, she turned her attention back to the Vilicus.

“The little girl is strangely fond with those little critters.”

“I was also surprised that the Vilicus also liked her. But do you really have to call them little critters?”

“What? That’s how I see them. Little despicable devils.”

“You still haven’t moved on from the way they poke fun at you?”

“Of course… Anyway, I’m surprised you just casually allowed a human roam in your domain.”

“Why wouldn’t I? I have no problem with it. Besides, she is a little girl.”

“Mm. Must be rare having a human here. Considering you have such a misdirecting barrier planted in this forest.”

Lein felt this barrier after she got deeper within the forest. A barrier that influences the mind to move to a direction without the person knowing and some more. In this case, the barrier was set to prevent people from coming into Galeila’s domain.

“Actually she was the first human to come here. She was severely wounded when the Vilicus brought her here. Pitiful the child was.”

“Oh! Did you know that Rume is getting oppressed in her own village? How distasteful. I investigated a bit when I heard that they called her a child of a demonic witch! Can you believe that? Demonic Witch? Like come on, that’s ridiculous! And… cruel…”

Galeila’s eyes widened indicating her surprise.

“Some humans are just cruel. With a few being kind. In this context, the villagers may just be ignorant. There’s no such thing as a demonic witch, whatever they are referring to. But I suppose they lack the knowledge to know that.”

“But why would they call her that? There’s no way her parents are demons, I mean, she’s human, right?”

“You’re interested. You’re starting to care about her?”

Lein raised her eyebrow.

“I wouldn’t say it’s exactly that, just a bit…... That child is afraid of being alone. I pity her.”

Lein could determine that through the child’s actions and reactions earlier. Also, the look of her eyes, there was fear, a familiar sight.

“Does she remind you of yourself?”

“I guess.”

“Hm... But a demonic witch? Humans often make things up resulting in the expense of others. But I’m curious what led those villagers to that conclusion. If you care about her, maybe you should keep an eye on her.”

“I suppose... But I’m also busy, you should know. I won’t be able to do anything for her, I’m afraid…”

Galeila’s eyes narrowed. She was just making excuses it seems. But she decided to play along.

“Busy? Circle of Sorcerers affairs?”

“A lot of things happened since you disappeared, Galeila. The Circle has broken apart. I’m no longer part of it.”

“How did that happen?”

“Long story short. Let’s just say a dispute among the members. Well, I guess the Circle has already started to form up again.”

“Oh? Then why didn’t you return.”

“It’s not the same as the old one. True that most of the old members had returned, but it’s not as independent as the last one.”

“I’m curious, tell me about it.”

“The Circle of Sorcerers was reestablished not because of the old members, but because of a ruler from the south. The circle now belongs to an Empire and in servitude to its ruler.”

“Which empire?”

“Oh it’s a fresh one. Newly established. It’s sudden existence shocked the entire Northern Alliance.”

“Mm. But isn’t it the same as every human history? New nations form all of the time. What reason is there to be shocked?”

“I suppose so. But this is no normal nation. In any case, you’re already retired, aren’t you? You don’t have to worry about politics.”

“Haha, of course. Then I suppose what you’re busy with are affairs of the Sorcerers’ Association?”

Lein opened her mouth for a second before closing again. It was not a nice topic to go into, but she should let her friend know.

“The Association is no more.”

Galeila was dumbstruck at what she heard. It was something that was hard to believe. Not anyone would easily believe something that ridiculous. Lein understood that all too well, she was shocked herself when she heard it.

The association was the largest organization of magic casters, and most of the members were incredibly powerful compared to average mages. In fact, the Circle of Sorcerers was a branch of the Sorcerers’ Association.

“Impossible.”

“Well it is. Believe it or not, the entire Association was wiped out, its headquarters, gone. Some members may have survived, but only so few remained. The organization no longer exists.”

“How did that happen?”

“One man did it. One, they said. They angered a being so powerful that not even the strongest mages could stand a chance.”

“... Who was that man?”

“This man is the new superior of the Circle. The Emperor of the South.”

“Human?”

“It seems so. But Ruler of Monsters they also call him. They say in his capital city, angels guarded the outer walls, the dead stood watch at the inner wall, and dark beings acting as guardians of the innermost wall.”

“Is he even human?”

“I’m not sure… War is brewing, Galeila. The flames of warfare are heating up ever since the destruction of the Association. It’s only a matter of time before the North declares war against the South. Or the other way around.”

“Is that why you’re busy? You’re helping out the north?”

“What? No I’m not! I’m doing this for myself. I’m setting up sentries around the northern regions. I need to keep watch of any movements.”

“In other words, you’re helping.”

“No! I wouldn’t call it that. I could at least give information to the north, otherwise it would leave a bad taste on my mouth.”

“In other words, you’re helping.”

“I said that’s not it. I’m not even giving it my all to protect it. I set up sentries while I indulge myself in my adventures, and my search for you. If all hope is lost, I will even likely leave it be. Is that even helping?”

“Hm. Depending on someone’s point of view.”

“Then what do you think about it?”

“It’s helping.”

“Hm… I wonder, do you plan on helping?”

“No.” An instant answer came. “I love my own peace. Dealing with those kinds of trouble is a bother. Besides, you know how powerful the Northern Alliance is. Not just skills of individuals, but also weapons. The north is strong. There is no need to worry about it.”

Lein smiled at her.

“I guess you’re right... But is it selfish to just only act for myself?”

“What is it that you want?”

“I just want adventure. I want to go anywhere and everywhere!”

“Is it what you are doing now?”

“...Yes.”

“Then keep going at it. Sometimes, going after what you wanted is the right thing for you, it’s not selfish. What is life if you cannot go after your own interests or ambitions?”

Lein gazed at Galeila’s big eyes.

“... I see. Thank you, Galeila... You always make things clear for me,” Lein said as she leaned her back on Galeila.

She was only doing what she wanted, it wasn’t selfish. Besides, she had been a public servant for a long time, serving the people and all. It was not wrong to take her own path now and do whatever she wants. The world owed her this. That was what she thought.

“Of course, you’re welcome. You’re still such a child, hahaha.”

“Hah! As if! I just want your opinion… But, it wouldn’t hurt to act as a child once in a while, right?”

“I suppose so. Youth is always fun. Hey, aren’t you still young? Don’t act like an adult yet.”

“Shut up old hag! I’ve already matured.”

There was still a bit of bitterness left within Lein. However, the happiness of being reunited with the dragon still overwhelmed all other emotions. There was no need to drive away the one you searched for years because of bitterness or slight grudges. All that mattered was that she finally found her family. That was the most important thing of all.

 

Thanks for reading!

This concludes Chapter 6

Also, due to start of classes, update rates will now be 2 to 3 days.

11