Chapter 7: Tell Her Story
219 0 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Rume went around the glade, full of healthy green plants and tiny insects. Rume had begun to think that calling this place a forest was unjustified, it being a garden was more fitting. Yes, definitely, this place must be a garden.

Flowers blooming brighty under the sun. Among the grassy plain, there were eye catching purple flowers, some had astonishing pink petals, and some flowers were even bundled up in a single stem — it was the first time Rume saw one.

Flying among those flowers were yellow bees, but that was a common sight to see. What was noticeable were the butterflies. Astoundingly, the butterflies she saw were purely transparent. They were like colored glass flying in the air, if forming a flock, they could resemble the color of a rainbow. She tried to have one land on her finger, but to no avail. She sighed in disappointment as they flew away from her.

The Vilicus were of course by her side, like her playmates playing and touring in the glade. They may not be able to talk, but they still got along pretty well and felt like they were already friends now. That would be nice if that was definitely the case. Things would have perhaps been a bit different if they were able to talk. But still, Rume was grateful. Them being friends was probably not yet the case, being to act like one was still something to be appreciated.

They were kind towards her. Maybe, eventually, she could confidently say they were friends.

This moment, even though this could probably be just for a short while, brought a joyful smile on Rume’s face. 

Rume stole a glance at the tree. This one was abnormally gigantic. Was there always a tree like that?

She then averted her eyes towards the two individuals beside the tree. As though sensing her gaze, Lein waved at Rume then urged her to come with a wave of her arm. Following Lein, Rume approached them.

The two had a quarrel earlier, they may have resolved the problem already. Rume didn’t know the reason why Lein shouted at Galeila, but Rume was in no place to poke into their personal matters. Still, it was a surprise that they already knew each other.

“Are you having a good time?”

Lein asked Rume with a tender gaze. Everything was well. She enjoyed hanging around with the Vilicus, discovering a few new things. It has been a long time since she got to experience something like this.

“Yes, I am!”

“I suppose a lot of things are quite a bizarre discovery and experience for you?”

Rume nodded vigorously.

“There are things I never knew existed. Everything has been so wonderful since yesterday! I never knew the world had these all sorts of things!”

Rume said energetically while turning around with her arms spread out, emphasizing her amazing experience, and the wonder of what could be out there in the world, waiting for her to discover. But of course, the day of discovering those wonders might never come. No, in her case, it will never come.

“Oh, there are countless things to discover in this world full of magic, Rume. From the angels roaming the vast sky, to the unknown creatures hiding in the depths, different kinds of wonders await.”

“... That… would be wonderful.”

Yes, it will undoubtedly be. Imagine, discovering something new, something beautiful. How amazing that would be. However, this only made Rume disheartened and sad. No way in her lifetime could she have a chance to enjoy something that wonderful.

“... You sound… upset?”

Rume forcibly changed her mood, holding both her own hands and looked at Lein to answer her.

“No. It’s nothing. I’m not upset or anything.”

This was not Lein’s problem anyways, no need to get her involved.

“Rume, I’ve been hearing a lot of things while I was in the village.”

Rume wondered what Lein could have heard. Why did she mention that to her? Rume waited for her to continue.

“A lot of the people there call you a Daughter of a Demonic Witch. In fact, most, if not, all of them do. I don’t understand why. But all they talk about is that your mother committed something demonic. Somehow you were the fruit of it. Why? How?”

Rume stepped back while gripping her own hands. She looked down avoiding the gazes of the two in front of her. Fear was crawling into her heart.

“... Uh, you don’t have to worry about it.”

Indeed. Rume’s problem was her own to bear. Others don’t have to bear it, nor those who do not know needed to know.

In contrast, what if the story spreads again? It’s not like she didn’t trust Lein about that or something, nor was she doubting her. It’s just that Rume doesn’t feel good about thinking and telling about it.

In contrast, if she told her story, the way they treated her might change. She was terrified of the thought.

“Rume, you need to tell me. Something doesn’t sit well with me. Demonic Witch? That doesn’t make sense. Tell me how it all began, what caused it. Please.”

“See? You do care a lot, Lein,” Galeila interjected.

“Shut it! It’s just that I want to understand. How did it end to something like ‘Demonic Witch’? I just don’t get it. What led them to call her mother that? So please Rume, tell me.”

Rume was silent. Lein sighed.

“Rume, we are not the same as those in your village. We know of the world. And the way we see it, what they call you, is nonsense.”

Rume looked up at the scarlet haired mage.

“No matter what your story may contain, we wouldn’t change the way we look at you. You have been a polite child as you interact with us. I don’t see any way that we would see you otherwise.”

Lein held Rume’s hand. She was soft, smooth and most of all, she was warm. It was a kind of warmth which brought comfort. It brought a sense of calmness and reassurance.

“Okay…”

Rume gave up, and told her story.

13