Chapter 13: Look Above (Part 1)
288 0 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

They have reached the garden where Galeila resides. It was brightfully beautiful as ever. It appears that there were plenty more orbs of light currently revolving around the giant tree than before. Galeila raised her neck as soon as she saw the pair entered.

The little girl rushed forward with prancing steps towards Galeila. It was amazingly adorable to look at.

“Good morning, Miss Galeila.”

“Yes, good morning, Rume.”

Galeila’s eyes shifted towards the approaching mage then formed an amused smile.

“Oh? I was expecting some sort of greeting.”

“Ah-eh… Mm, good morning.”

“Why do you act so bashful? You always excitedly greeted me when you were younger.”

“Yeah?! Well, um, it just slipped my mind…”

“Right right.”

“Ahem! In any case, I expect you to have a plan for today?”

“Of course. We should take it simple for the time being. I never brought you there yet, but perhaps you have heard of it.”

“Then what is the place?”

“Telling you will ruin the surprise.”

Lein sighed while playing with her hair.

“Fine. So will we be flying?”

“Nope.”

“Huh?”

Rume and Lein both have a puzzled expression. 

Perhaps it was not that far, but what other ways can a giant dragon travel? Rume wondered.

“I figured it would be troublesome if I stayed in my original form. So I will need to change.”

“Oh so that’s what you mean.”

“What does that mean?”

Rume was now the only one with a puzzled expression. She cannot fathom anything from their words. Lein however only gave a reassuring smile.

“Nothing to worry about. You’ll find out shortly.”

Galeila slowly rose up from the ground then looked up.

“Now then, O spirits, I will be leaving for now.”

The spirits shone brightly for a moment as though responding to Galeila’s words. Rume couldn’t understand and determine whether they answered in a positive or otherwise. But Galeila appeared untroubled, so it must be the former.

“Here I go. It’s been a while since I have done this.”

Rume looked straight anticipating anything that might happen. Just then, the dragon’s entire body radiated a gentle glow with the color of green nature. It grew brighter for a couple of seconds before Rume began to notice a change.

The once massive dragon slowly shranked. It began to change its shape, its limbs turned thin, its body shaping into a familiar figure, and its head formed an attractive shape. Long hair began to emerge which could reach an adult’s waist. The body formed an hourglass figure, even amidst the brilliant light, one could see that its entire figure was flawless.

Shortly, the changes stopped, what once was a dragon has turned into human shape. The glow gradually vanished as now every part of the humanoid’s body can be viewed. Galeila, a dragon, now was in the shape of an adult woman.

Her skin was white and appeared inhumanely smooth, it would be best to say her skin was utterly flawless. Her long smooth and lustrous hair has the dazzling hue of green. Her narrow eyes displayed a bewitching beauty of jade. What stood before them, in Rume’s eyes, was a peerless beauty.

Her beauty only intensified because the beauty stood there all bare. All of her was exposed, from her ample breasts and hypnotizing back. Any adult man would instantly fall in love in just a single glance. Perhaps some might even go insane and will easily fall into temptation.

Galeila stepped forward. However, she immediately lost balance and almost fell.

“ — Ah! I got it...! Got it.”

Her voice was a lot softer and sweeter compared to when she was a dragon. She spread her arms trying to keep balance. Yet somewhat failed as she almost slipped.

“Agh, two legs, two legs.”

Rume was concerned. However, beside her, Lein ruthlessly snickered at Galeila.

“Haha — Alright, should I help you?”

“Mm. No need, I just need to get my bearing. Just need to feel the two legs again.”

She took several steps, remembering how to walk on two legs. Gradually, her strides became more stable than before.

“I got it. Yes, this is fine.”

“Great. So, where are your clothes?”

“Oh yes, clothes. I have it here.”

She went to one of the protruding roots of the giant tree with slightly faster steps. With a wave of her hand, the soil spread apart creating a hole on the ground. She lifted up a wooden chest, with quite an extravagant design, from the hole. It was a fairly large chest, but she lifted it with no problem at all.

She opened it with ease, it seems it was already unlocked.

“Good, they’re still in good condition.”

She took out some clothes and patted off the dusts that clung on the fabric. As she was about to wear them, Rume turned away. Need to respect one that was about to wear clothes. Lein also did the same. They kept their eyes away for a few minutes.

“Alright, I’m done.”

Hearing that, the pair turned around.

Galeila's wardrobe was in the color set of sky blue and dark brown with a little bit of gold at the seams. She wore trousers and a pair of boots. Her top wore a blouse and covering it was a coat with a slightly long tail. Her once loose hair was tied into a ponytail. At a glance, her clothes were lavish and pleasing to look at. They must be expensive.

“You look wonderful, Miss Galeila.”

“Am I? I appreciate the praise. Humans after all gives importance to appearance, so I’m quite pleased to hear that.”

“You look fashionable, one might mistake you for a noble.” Lein said with a delighted expression.

“Well, I suppose I must be fashionable. It won’t hurt to look good, right…?”

“Of course. But your face already looks too good, a little less fashion wouldn’t really impact your appearance.”

“Well, cannot blame anyone by the way I look. Plus, wearing high quality clothing gives a pleasant feeling. This is already perfect.”

“That aside, better to get used to walking more. Also add running to that.”

“I suppose I should.”

“So a dragon can change into a human?” Rume inquired.

“Not all. Only the ones at the top of the hierarchy, you could say. Ones that are more powerful than any ordinary dragons.”

Galeila answered while practicing walking.

“Does that mean you’re very strong?”

“You could say that.”

“Amazing. You are more incredible than I first thought.”

And I’m surrounded by incredible people.

Rume thought. She was nothing compared to the two beside her. One was a renowned mage that was incredibly skillful in magic. The other was a dragon that was higher than any dragons. Both were strong. While Rume was a feeble little girl. Was it right for her to stand before such incredible people? The one who was condemned by all?

But the two were oblivious to the child’s inner conflicts.

Galeila directed a warm smile at Rume.

“Still, I am weak in this form. Therefore, we will be counting on you a lot, Lein.”

“Leave it to me. Looks like I have another one to protect.”

“Focus more on the one that is not me.”

When transforming into her human-like form, she was a lot weaker compared to when she was a dragon. A lot of her abilities were restricted and weakened. In this case, Lein as a High Sorcerer, was stronger than human Galeila. In statistical value, Galeila’s overall power was decreased to forty percent over one hundred, not counting the restricted abilities. Therefore, the more versatile Lein was the most reliable in the group when encountering anything dangerous and problematic.

“I understand.”

“Good. Right then, let’s go.”

Galeila who was now fully capable of walking, beckoned them to come. Lein unhesitantly walked over Galeila’s side. Rume didn’t understand what was really going on, but she followed over and stood beside them.

“Our destination is due slightly northeast, fairly far off the edge of the continent.”

“Um… are we walking? Isn’t it far?”

Rume asked the obvious question. The time when she flew in the sky with the two, she saw how vast the land was. Even though it was faster flying, Rume could judge that walking, even to the city they flew over, would take a lot of time — maybe even days.

She would never have had any doubts if Galeila was still in her dragon form. But now she was human, plus she does not even have any wings. Maybe she can still fly somehow? But how can she carry them both?

But Lein’s words lifted away those doubts.

“Nope we’re not walking. And yes, if it’s further from the edge, then it’s very far… But no problem!”

She sounded confident, due to that it brought a sense of ease to Rume.

“Hold my hand.”

Galeila offered her hands to the two. Because she said so, Rume held her hand. It had a very smooth sensation, and so soft that left no trace of callus whatsoever. With her hand in Galeila’s, it brought a very pleasant and comfortable feeling. She felt safe. It was like how she held her mother’s hand.

On the other hand, Lein was a bit bashful and reached out slowly to the hand offered to her. She hesitated, but there was no point in acting that way, so she forced her way out of the predicament brought only by herself. Galeila formed an amused smile.

She had indeed grown.

Galeila said in her mind. It was like how a child has grown and acted all embarrassed doing sweet things to her parents, for instance holding hands, kiss on the cheeks, and saying the words “I love you”. Seeing her act that way brought joy inside Galeila’s heart.

“Brace yourselves. Especially you Rume. This might surprise you, so hold unto me with both your hands if you wish.”

“... Okay.”

Rume figured that since Galeila gave a fair bit of warning, she should make things safer for herself. She used both her hands to firmly grab unto Galeila’s hand. Rume looked up to look at her face, what greeted her was a warm smile from Galeila. It felt reassuring that Rume unconsciously formed a smile.

“Alright, here I go.”

After Galeila said so, the ground beneath them started to glow with green illumination. Feeling anxious, Rume held unto Galeila’s hand tighter. The next moment, their field of vision was engulfed by the light. Rume could barely see the forest from behind.

Then suddenly, everything around them began to distort. Rume felt a little strange sensation on her skin, like a wind gently blowing and crawling unto her. Then space around them twisted and shifted, the scene changed from what it once was. Rume thought at first that her eyes were mistaken, but as the light mitigated, things became clearer.

Rume was taken aback at the sudden change. The giant tree which once stood before them has vanished. There were no colorful flowers but all grass. The entire landscape changed. It was as though they were in an entirely different place.

No, that was indeed the case.

“What? Where? How?” Rume turned around and asked in confusion.

“That was Teleportation magic.”

Galeila answered.

“...Teleportation?”

Rume didn’t know such a term.

“It means you can get to your destination in an instant. Though you must have already been to the area before you could teleport to it.”

Rume didn’t know what to say.

“Now what about we stop looking at the forest and look at what is most important in this sightseeing of ours?”

“...What do you mean?”

Galeila smiled. She lifted up her arm and stuck out her index finger. She turned around and pointed at the direction behind them.

“Look above there.”

Rume followed where she was pointing. But when she turned around, she instantly saw something so bizarre that it stole away her breath. While stunned, she still shifted her eyes up, and there she saw — for her — was unbelievable.

“How is that possible?”

A question came out of her mouth in spite of herself. Islands were floating in the air, even the massive ones along with smaller ones. The floating islands have groups of trees sprouting atop of them. Grass covered the entire thing from top to bottom. Wind endlessly blowing through them, leaves swaying simultaneously.

That was not the only shocking view. Water spread out all over the islands, like flowing rivers in the air, going on and in between islands. Everything was on the other side of the land on which they were currently standing. The other side was a complete contrast to the other, it was as though each one belonged to a different world.

Lein was also surprised and astonished at the sight stretching before her.

“Woah, I never knew there was something like this far off the edge of the continent.”

“Well, this land is completely disconnected from the mainland, and quite a vast distance away. So it would make sense if you just knew about this. Plus, this place is hard to find.”

“How are they floating…?” Rume said.

“I’m also curious. If it’s magical in origin, how much energy does it take to lift those all up?”

“Now that’s one of the numerous wonders in the world, isn’t it?” Galeila shrugged along with an amused smile.

She didn’t answer the question nor explained anything. Thus, Lein glared at her.

“What? This is no time for exposition. Shouldn’t we take a look first?”

“... Fine then.”

“Then, come.”

Galeila beckoned them to follow her. She moved forward, closer and closer to the edge with the two following behind her. As they got closer, Rume’s steps became slower and somewhat reluctant. That was because she was scared to get closer. She could imagine what was at the edge.

The image in her mind was a cliff and a long way down. It was different from when she was flying in the sky on the back of a dragon, she felt very safe that time. However, this time it was different. She held no one’s hand, she wasn’t protected by anyone.

Galeila and Lein nonchalantly stood at the edge with no worries for their safety. As Rume saw them, she worked up the courage to move closer. Her feet trembled slightly as she got closer. She felt like retreating but compelled herself to resist the urge.

Galeila, sensing Rume’s plight, turned around with a proud smile. She extended her hand towards the little girl.

“Hold my hand.”

When Rume saw the hand before her, a sense of relief came. She took her hand, then a surge of warmth rose from the hand and spread throughout her body, centralizing in her chest. It was a pleasant feeling. A feeling of safety and relief, and more intense than before. It was a feeling that she hasn't felt in a long time. Unconsciously, she tightened her grip.

Secured by Galeila, she bore more courage in stepping forward. Before she knew it, she was now standing at the edge. Her eyes went wide at the expansive landscape before her.

At the far bottom, green grasses now grew tall, their entire body pointed upward as though some force was pulling them. Several branches of the azure rivers spread about. At the far edge there stayed the sea. At its edge, water ascended until they were at the same level of the floating islands, now served as rivers. Rume could see glimpses of fishes as they swam.

As she stared at the bizarre spectacle before her, she failed to realize that she stopped breathing all this time. With the countless droplets floating in the air, and the sun illuminating the world, several bright and colorful rainbows enhanced the scene even more. 

She was beyond enchanted.

Galeila formed an amused smile after seeing Rume’s reaction.

“Want to go forward?”

Rume blinked several times at Galeila’s question.

“... Forward? Where…?”

“Right in front of you.”

The little girl glanced slightly below to double check.

“We will fall.”

“Perhaps… But it will be fine. Watch.”

She lifted up her leg and moved it forward beyond the cliff as she let go of Rume.

“ — Miss Galeil—”

Rume panicked and tried to call her back but it was already too late. She has already fallen. The little girl was shocked, in reflex she looked at Lein who was doing nothing but lifted up her head to look below as if she wasn't bothered by anything.

In contrast to Rume’s reaction, Lein merely smirked.

“Now that’s interesting.”

Rume was baffled at her words. The little girl was terrified that she might actually burst into tears at any second.

“I’m sorry, did I scare you?”

The little girl heard a familiar voice from behind. Instantly knowing whose voice that was, she reflexively turned around only to be surprised.

“I’m sorry, that was a mistake on my part.”

Galeila who fell far down was now floating in front of her. Was it her power? Maybe she still has her dragon abilities and she can fly somehow. Such thoughts came into Rume’s mind. But she pondered hard to find the correct answer and later came to a conclusion.

If other islands can float… does it mean anything around the area can float and fly?

Rume didn’t make her answer definite though. She lacked confidence in that answer, she knew nothing about everything around here. She merely saw her answer as a guess.

Seeing Rume’s confused look, Galeila decided to give an answer.

“Anything that goes within this area is free from gravity. In other words, one can fly.”

It confirmed Rume’s guess which somewhat caused her to be surprised.

“Want to try?” Galeila asked.

“Is it fine? If I do it?”

“Yes.”

“But…”

“I will be here to hold you.”

Galeila held out her hand and offered it to Rume.

“It will be alright. I promise you.”

10