Chapter 25: Call And Response
9 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Julie walks into the main room, anger on her face and sorrow in her eyes. Jason looks over from watching TV. The Grey haired killer knows something is up once Julie looks around the room.

“What's got you pissed now?” Jason asks with an attitude in his husky and gruff voice.
“Where’s Beatrix?” The large Malenterian asked. She sounded determined and slightly bothered.
“I dont keep track of where everyone is.”

Julie sighs, annoyed by both not knowing where Beatrix is to get information, and Jason's attitude toward her. Though he has it with everyone and it's fairly normal, it still bothers her at the time.

“The one time ‘Ah needed someone ‘Ah can’t fu-”

Rose came up from behind her mother and hugged her thigh. The dark skinned mother looks down at her, surprised at how sneaky Rose was. She picks her daughter up and looks at her, Rose feels like she wants to sink out of her mother’s hold seeing her expression. Julie, with her motherly instinct, notices this and reassures Rose with a kiss on the head.

“Rose, sweetheart. Ya know where Beatrix is? The bird lady?” She speaks in a softer tone toward her daughter, stifling her internal annoyance with Jason and in general.

Rose points to the training grounds in the back of Moonshine Run. Julie looks over and smiles, patting her white haired daughter’s head and setting her down. 

“Watch Rose, Jason. ‘Ah have ta talk with Beatrix.”
“I am not a babysitter, Julie. Think for a moment who you're talking to,” Jason says, rather ticked off by Julie's attempt at shoving Rose onto him. He’d never harm Rose. Deep down he admits he adores the Malenterian child too. But he also knows he is not good with kids in the slightest.

Julie rolls her eyes and shakes her head annoyed once more. With a sigh, the mother lifts her hands near her mouth.

"Ierra!" 

Ierra comes running from her room down the hall, eager to do what is asked of her.

"What do you need, Darkling?" Iera answers cheerfully and in her usual, pretty accent.

The Malenterian turned to her Elvish friend and crosses her arms resting her rather large breasts atop them. She spoke in a tone that displays her annoyance in the current time.

"Give Rose a bath for me, 'Ah have ta do somethin’."

Ierra hears the tone of voice Julie was taking and makes her spine quiver. She knows Julie is not in the mood for any type of insubordination. Ierra nods quickly, grabs Rose’s hand and marches to a bathroom next to the guild room. The Witch boss walks quickly and with power in her movement. When irritated Julie could become highly authoritarian. She angrily made her way out to the Training Grounds. Once out there she would see Bearix there, practicing her aiming and her quick draw while in the air, her feathers being flung off  she flies around and hits the targets.. Sure she beat Ierra, however she still wanted to improve in her class of Archer.

“Beatrix!” Julie called out sternly.

The call had startled Beatrix. Mid shot too, her arrows flew a short distance only due the bow being partially drawn. The Aviarian looks over to Julie, nervous.

“We gotta talk.” The large woman said, fixing her glasses orientation on her face. 

 

***

 

Ierra was in the bathroom washing Rose and smiling, the girls giggle and laugh while they splash each other. Ierra puts some bubbles on the Maletnerian Childs nose. After a while, Rose stops giggling and looks rather sad. Ierra notices this quick change in attitude, it came as a shock to her. Rose was usually so happy. And why so sudden?

“What’s wrong Rosie?” Ierra asked
“Why does Mama pway with everyone ewse but me?” The child asks. 

Ierra was taken aback by this question. Come to think of it, Julie hasn't spent much time with Rose. She’s been busy with guild work, and Shane. It hurt Ierra to hear these words. She knows herself that Julie wants nothing more to make Rose happy. That's why this guild was started. It was a personal reason for Julie at least.

“Does mama not wove me?” Rose asked, balling herself up, wrapping her arms around her legs, her feet submerged in the water.
“No! Your mother loves you very much Rose. Mama’s just busy all the time. She will play with you real soon”
“She aways say dat. But never does”

Ierra felt sad that Rose, her best friend's child, was hurting and felt like she could never spend time with her mother. Rose needed Julie right now. The Elvish woman thinks as she washes Rose’s back. “Why has Julie been putting off time with her daughter for all this?” she thought. It made her feel enraged. The caring Elf planned on talking to Julie about it once she was done washing Rose up. After some few more minutes, Ierra takes the white haired child from the bath and dries her up, then gets her dressed. The black haired Elf walks into the main room while carrying the child. Shane was relaxing there alongside Jason and noticed them.

“Where is the boss? I want to talk to her about reviving my sisters,” the Red and blue harried Goxian said.
“I was going to ask the same. I have something important to tell her.”

It hits Ierra there that Julie often is slammed with things one after another. Shane’s sisters, not spending time with her daughter, Jacklynn’s mission coming up, keeping up with the guild income from the towns they protect, missions of her own. So much on her plate, and Ierra just then decides is time for her to step up and act like the second-In-Command she was meant to be. She was lacking and realized it. “No more,” she thought to herself.

“Let's check out back,” Ierra said to Shane, carrying rose and rubbing her back.
“Iz want mama,” The child said to Ierra.

Faced again with the fact Julie was a mother, Shane found himself torn between enacting his plan or not. He quickly snuffed it out and cleared his head. He’d do it for his sisters and him. For Goxians.

“I know,” the Lockwood Elf said to Rose. “We are getting to her.”

And with that, Ierra walks into the back of the base to the training grounds, Shane following. Sure enough, there was Julie and Beatrix talking. Ierra haven't heard all of it, but Bea gave some insight to something that is worrying, insight to what may be part of the payload mission Jacklynn has in a few days. The Witch Boss sees Ierra, Rose and Shane out of the corner of her eye and waves to them.

“Bea we will talk with Jacklynn later about this” She said in a calmer tone than she had before.

Ierra sets the child down and she hugs her mother’s leg before running off to hit a dummy with a wooden sword. Ierra and Shane approach Julie, Shane speaking up before Ierra has the chance too, which annoys her slightly.

“Boss, When are my sisters getting revived?” The red haired Goxian said impatiently.
“Oh right. We can do that lat-”

Ierra interrupts Julie mid sentence to get her piece in.

“You haven't spent much time with Rose lately. You need to put some time aside for her.” The pale elf said sternly. To Ierra, there were no excuses or ways around it.

Julie thinks for a short moment before speaking up.

“Now that ‘Ah think about it, ‘Ah havn’t. But there's also much go-”

Another interruption, this time Ierra smacks Julie across the face. Shane is very stunned by the Elf’s action, and so is her boss. The Malenterian stays still, her chek darkened from the hit and her glasses sitting oddly on her face. The midnight haired assailant stands there with a blank, apathetic look as she lowers her hand from its position. The Witch Boss slowly looks at the ground between her and Ierra and adjusts her glasses.

“You’re right.’Ah’ll go ta the market ta get food for the guild, come back and deal with Shane’s stuff, then the rest of the day I'm off duty with Rose.” Julie said, the sense having been literally smacked into her. 

The Malenterian’s best friend smiles at this and nods, Shane still shocked that Julie is doing nothing. He was sure she'd yell at or retaliate against Ierra. But then assumes that perhaps they are close enough to where the Black Widow trusts it was needed. After a hug with Ierra and a wave to Shane, Julie walks to the stables on the side of Moonshine Run. She pats her daughter's head on the way.

“Mama has to do some things. When ‘Ah’m all done we can play.”
“Yay!” The blue eyed child exclaims in joy.

Rose smiles wide as she watches her mother walk off to get her horse. Once there at the stables, the large woman takes Sarron out and mounts him. Sarron gallops off with his rider on his back, and they head to Arrintar. Julie looks around here and there taking in the world around her, not as the Black Widow, but as Julie Cassandra Faith Stoneheardt. It was a breath of fresh air, figuratively and literally. The day was warm with a cool breeze. The green of the grass and the trees were beautiful. Travelers and merchants on and along the roads as she rides. After some time, about 30 minutes, she gets to Arrintar and gets off of Sarron. She holds onto his reins, walking him where she goes. There’s people bustling and making their daily commute and hanging out with friends.

"Life's so much more hectic now in the Guild." She thought to herself in realization.

Julie walks up to a stand where seeds are sold, She checks out the grass seeds.

"'Ah... got no clue what 'Ah’m doin’." She thought. “Maybe this can be used for hay, horses eat hay. Can we even make hay? I think we can, right?”

Julie picks up both the seeds and some carrots for Sarron. She stops when she sees grains.

"Maybe 'Ah should start lookin’ for some farmers to help out. If 'Ah have a farm, 'Ah could be in the trades too. Merchants make a lot of money, don’t they?" Julie wondered to herself. 

She could imagine the money is a bit more stable too, and commissions in the winters are always more abundant because people become lazy and don't want to do anything in the cold. She picks up the bag of grain seeds, but puts them down after a bit.

"'Ah don’t have enough people yet. But later definitely." She nods, thinking to herself still.

Julie carries on to buy the grass and carrots. Once done she puts them in a sack on Sarron’s saddle and gives him one of the orange vegetables. while she pats the side of his neck. She buys many other foods for the guild members, attaching the hefty bags of food onto Sarron.

“We should get a cart some time, it will make this so much easier to get food, I guess we'd be able to help in transport commissions too.” The dark woman thought. She's shockingly just now getting so many good ideas for getting more money.

A few kids run up to pet Sarron, who lowers his head and lets them do so. Seems he's enjoying it. After a while Julie lets the kids know that she has to get going and pull Sarron along. She notices that there's a large gathering of people near the 11 ward, she moseys on over with Sarron behind her. There's a speaker at the front. A man with an elegant royal blue robe. Grey hair and some stubble. It was the king. Dolland. Julie thins her eyes after rolling them.

"Even when I'm not on duty. Though... how convenient. But 'Ah also can't kill him here." Julie says in her mind.

"My people. Look upon this destruction. Remember it, because it could happen to any of you. I believe you all remember about the Night Witches attacking my castle some time last year." He spoke.

"How does this fuck even know it was us? How does he know the guild name?" Julie wondered.

"Many soldiers of mine recall seeing their leader running away during the attack." 

"Oh fuck. They know what I look like under the mask?" Julie internally panicked.

"They have been around for too long. Pillaging other villages." The king continued.

Julie thinks about what the king is saying. There can be a way they know her unmasked. She then concludes that perhaps he's just spreading misinformation about them, exaggerating.

"The murder, thievery, all of it will end soon. I swear by my name." The king spoke loudly. "Far too long have they been destroying lives, homes, villages."

Julie growls softly. A cloaked man then speaks up from the crows. He was huge, Julie looked over and watched. His size seemed to make him familiar. It was similar to the Big’un soldiers.

"What about Marshtinan?" The man said.

"Woah. That voice is familiar. Sounds like… the man from Sorncoliv. No can't be." Julie thought

"What about Marshtinan?”

The man takes off his hood to show a young man. Neo-human and Goxian with pink hair. He was rather muscular and wearing a form fit white top with average black pants and boots on. His boots were rather nice looking, though nothing too extravagant. The form-fit shirt really accentuates and defines his large pectorals through it, as well as his shoulders and some part of his abs. Despite his large and muscular look, he gave off a calm and gentle feeling.

"He's kinda... familiar... 'Ah can't quite put my finger on it though." Julie thought before getting on Sarron to better see.

"They were an ally right? Their queen has been accused of the murder of her own husband ages ago. Shouldn’t you have looked into that before she was exiled?" He spoke.

"Oooh. Does his homework." Julie Thought.

"That’s not the point I’m making here. I’m talking about the Ni-"
"Night Witches.” The large man interrupted “Yeah I’m aware. My village has been protected by them for as long as they’ve been around. Protected! I met their leader and she got rid of multiple raiders in the village. Though they request large amounts of money from the village, though people do fear them, you cannot deny the good they’ve done. Multiple people I know personally say that the most they have to worry about is them. No more raids on their village.

"It is him! Holy fuck. Ta think that's the man 'Ah was talking ta." Julie thought in excitement. She decides to rally behind him, hopefully getting others to join his thinking.

Julie raises her fist to the sky.

"Same here!" She yelled.

The man looks over and meets Julie’s gaze. He pauses for a moment, as if to recognize julie. Though she doesn't notice this. Quickly, he then gets back to it. Some small portion of the crowd shows signs of agreeing with the man. The other, larger portion is either not showing any side bis or looking annoyed at them for defending the Night Witches. A civilian speaks up to give their account.

"A member actually saved my life." They said, rallying behind the man and Julie's words..

"I have close contact with the Black Widow! She does more good than bad. At least she tries to,” The muscular traveler says.

"Oh my. More good than bad? Someones a fan." She thought.

Julie looks at the man from behind a bit.

"'Ah know him from somewhere. 'Ah know 'Ah do. Not just Sorncoliv" She thought.

Dolland leans over to a guard and the guard steps forward to the man. The pink haired speaker looks down at the guard with a determined expression, inside however he just hopes it doesn't get violent. Julie smacks Sarron on the ass to rile him up and he runs off somewhere Arrintar city. That makes the people scatter and gives Julie the time to grab onto the man's arm and pull him off somewhere to escape the crowd, Dolland, and his guards. The man becomes startled but quickly gets a hold of the situation and follows. His arm was cold oddly.

0