362 Following the Path of Righteousness
56 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Qiu Ling had no idea that he had basically just picked up a stone to smash his own foot so he happily continued as he had before. He chatted with Jing Yi, picked out his favorite food for him and finally accompanied him and Madam Zhong out of the house and to the teahouse. He felt that life was especially beautiful today.

Just one day with his mother-in-law and her presence was already showing effect. She was actually making true on her promise and was helping him with wooing his beloved. He could only congratulate himself on preparing this early on! Thinking of that, Qiu Ling shot her a grateful look, beaming when she requited it for a moment.

Madam Zhong had no idea what exactly he was thinking but considering what she had experienced with him previously, it could only have to do with her son. Well, she didn’t mind. Jing Yi seemed to be quite happy with him around. Thinking of that, she turned to look at Jing Yi and then reached out to comb through his hair. "You don’t have to stay in the teahouse for the whole day. If there is something you’d like to do, just go and do so."

Jing Yi shook his head. "You’re thinking too much, mother. I’m very happy that I’m here right now and that I’m able to with you again like this. Actually, even though I want to become a cultivator or practitioner, this kind of ordinary life is also very good. I just feel that … There’s more I can do if I follow this path. I don’t know if you can understand that."

Madam Zhong looked at her son, nodding gently. She might not have understood previously but after everything that her son had said last night, she felt that she somewhat understood. What had happened to his father had had a much bigger influence than she had thought. He wanted to prevent this type of thing to happen again. That was very noble of him. "Actually, I probably shouldn’t be surprised. Back when you were born, we decided to name you Jing Yi because I was only able to give birth because of the help of that Daoist Master and because we felt that this kind of favor should be repaid."

Jing Yi looked at her, not quite understanding. "Repaid? But I don’t even know who he is!"

Madam Zhong laughed and took his arm, looking around the street. "This kind of person, I don’t think they would care whether or not they themselves were repaid."

Qiu Ling looked at her, feeling a little betrayed. Hadn’t his mother-in-law figured out that he was that Daoist Master? Then why was she saying such nonsense? Obviously, he very much wanted to be repaid himself!

Madam Zhong ignored him and instead nodded at the people around them. "These people, just like us, are also just ordinary citizens of our Long kingdom. Each morning, we will get up, go to work, spend time with our family, and finally we go to bed in the evening. Maybe the work we do will be able to have a little bit of influence on other people. They might make their lives easier or help them with something but it’s nothing special.

"These Daoist Masters are different. Every decision they make can completely change the course of somebody’s life. Back then, that man decided over life and death. Without him, whether it’s about you or me, who can say for sure if we would still be alive?

"I think that this type of person has to be very good. This kind of power, I can’t believe that it is given to just anyone. And I think that somebody who could save a dying mother and child has to be somebody who wants to make the world a better place.

"In that case, they might not need us to repay them directly. If you also became a … cultivator, then I’m sure that the Daoist Master would be happy about that as well. Because that way, you can give back to the world. You can live a righteous life and spread that righteousness further. I’m sure a person like him would like that very much."

Jing Yi nodded his head. "What you say makes sense."

Qiu Ling furrowed his brows, silently disagreeing. This didn’t make any sense at all! His beloved didn’t need to repay the world or seek righteousness for anybody! He just wanted to spend time with him, ah! Was his mother-in-law really trying to help him? Unfortunately, the two people in question ignored him so there was nothing he could do other than hoping that things would still turn out alright.

Meanwhile, Jing Yi continued to ponder his mother’s words further. "I didn’t know about this. I mean you told me about the Daoist Master but you never mentioned that that was why you gave me his name. Thinking of it like this, I’m really happy that I went to the Yun Zou Sect. Isn’t this kind of like fulfilling my fate?" He gave a smile and Madam Zhong nodded.

"That’s what I thought. I’m a little sad that you can’t stay with me but from the moment you were born, I knew that you’re special and that you can’t be tied down in a small village. So when we got the letter from your uncle asking us to come to the capital, I felt that it might be good for you. And when you then met that young man from that deity sect, I also felt that this could only be right. I’m getting older and there are many things that I can’t understand. But I’m sure that you made the right choice." She stopped and turned to her son, cupping his cheeks. "Never regret this. You’ve followed the path you should have followed. That’s the best thing you can do."

2