[PART 1] The Season of Camellias by Xenoglossia
89 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

IMPORTANT REMINDER:

If the whole concept of omegaverse and mpreg are new to you, please don't skip the Introduction and check the Glossary section.

 

⚠️ TRIGGER / CONTENT WARNING:

This story contains explicit sex scenes that may be inappropriate for some readers.

 

━━━━━━━━┓ ✠ ┏━━━━━━━━

 

2002.

Sophia Montero, an Alpha female, and Hans Matisse, an Omega male, have been married for three years.

For the past two years, the couple had been trying to conceive without success. Hans, being a recessive Omega, had miscarried twice before. But on his third pregnancy, despite being plagued with complications, he gave birth to healthy twin sons.

The couple named them Milou, who was born first, and Saliou, who was born 43 minutes after his older brother.

Milou's first cry filled the room. He was only minutes old, but this tiny boy began to root almost immediately, mouth wide, his instincts strong. Meanwhile, Saliou met the world without so much as a snuffling.

The two were polar opposites from the very beginning. One was impulsive and reckless, the other shy and aloof.

Milou would always risk his life by his spontaneity – getting into all sorts of trouble, big and small.  But Saliou was the more sensible one. He would often be reluctant to speak his mind, but he's always the one to get his older brother out of trouble.

But Saliou's proclivity for protecting his brother has stemmed from the fact Milou is a recessive Omega, just like their father.

There is some sort of prejudice towards recessive Omegas. That they are the most fragile in society, barely functioning once they reach puberty and go into heat.

And it's not entirely false.

A recessive Omega's estrus cycles are unpredictable. There's no telling when they'll go into heat, until you begin to smell that strong, sweet scent of pheromones that they often could not control themselves or even with a heat suppressor. This spells trouble for any unpaired Alpha, and even to Betas. Because oftentimes a recessive Omega would emit pheromones so strong, even a Beta would go into a pseudo-rut.

And then, the frail body. Saliou had heard stories about their father. It wouldn't come as a surprise if the same thing happens to Milou. A recessive Omega's body is often not fit for pregnancy and childbirth. Even when healthcare has improved and medicine has advanced over the years, there was still an exceptionally high mortality rate among recessive Omegas.

Recessives are often not allowed to take on full-time jobs. At best, they can work part-time on top of living off government-backed financial support. Only when they are bonded to an Alpha, will they be allowed to fully immerse into society.

But Saliou didn't want this kind of life for Milou. He loves and cares for his brother so much that he didn't want to see him become someone whose existence is merely to replenish the population. A babymaker.

He wanted Milou to become more than that. He wanted him to have big dreams, just like he does.

It's become second nature for Saliou to provide for Milou, even when the other doesn't ask for it. He would always stick up for his brother in front of others, even when he knew the other was wrong. But then later on, privately, he would let Milou know what he really thought and how he should've behaved, who he should apologize to, and how not to repeat the same mistake. Milou would listen to him because he would also listen to the other.

But Saliou, just like his name, would always be "generous" to a fault.

I love cats more, but Milou prefers dogs. It's okay, I'm not allergic to them anyway.

I want to go to an art school, but Milou will have a hard time adjusting without me. It's okay, a prep school for Omegas wouldn't be so bad.

It doesn't matter if Milou gets three and I have two. What's important is that he's happy.

He would always give way for the sake of his brother. He would always give in. He would always indulge.  

 

━━━━━━━━┛ ✠ ┗━━━━━━━━

 

Despite having lived in an affluent neighborhood, Milou and Saliou have grown up completely in the dark about the extent of their family's wealth. Their parents seemed to have downplayed it, which later on they've learned to be thankful for, because they did not grow up to become spoiled brats.

The twins were the fifth-generation heirs in a now-prominent family. But their grandparents and the ones before them had originally belonged to a different social class. They were working-class people, employed in government and factories. But unlike their predecessors, Sophia Montero and Hans Matisse entered a transitioning market that offered better job opportunities. They started a family as the economy was expanding. And with the government's support schemes for families with Omegas, the couple was able to live comfortably without having to worry about finances.

Hans is a research historian, mostly working from home and supervising the twins as they grew up. Meanwhile, Sophia has been working as a biochemist at a top pharmaceutical company called Pharmalyticals Corporation, for almost ten years, well before she got married. Having two recessive Omegas in the family pushed Sophia into finding a "cure" to their erratic heat cycles. So when Pharmalyticals started a research project that aimed to discover and create a more potent heat suppressor for recessives, Sophia quickly took the plunge and became head of research.

This is how she had met one of the company's board members, Hector Dumont. A steadfast Alpha, Dumont is also a biochemist, and has allocated much of his company shares into medical research.

When two passionate researchers meet for the first time, they would usually tell each other about the research they're conducting and the interesting facts and findings they're producing. Strangely, this was not the case when Sophia met Hector. They found themselves talking not just about their research, but also about what was then, and still is today, their first love: family.

In the five years since their first meeting, Sophia and Hector have become firm friends, as have their families. So when Sophia got married and started her own family, the Dumonts were eager to help her move into a larger house and a more family-friendly neighborhood. That's when the Dumonts and the Matisses became amiable neighbors.

 

━━━━━━━━┓ ✠ ┏━━━━━━━━

Wren Dumont, the youngest among the three Dumont brothers, was born a year after the Matisse twins. And just like most of the members of the family, he too is an Alpha. Wren and the twins had easily become playmates. They were friends from when they learned to walk and talk. 

For the Matisses, the thought of the children so close together, growing up as friends, was exciting especially when the Dumonts shared that excitement with them. The promise of one of the Omega twins marrying into an Alpha family soon then became one of the most highly anticipated moments for both families.

While many friendships would cool and drift away, the bond of Wren and the Matisse twins' friendship would only become stronger over time. And it was a friendship unlike any other.

At the young age of nine, Milou and Saliou manifested Imprinting towards the young Alpha, a rare and exceptional phenomenon that thrilled the elders. They had a special bond, and the twins became especially attached to Wren.

The young Alpha always had so many friends – popular at school without even trying. But unlike his brothers, Wren is an introvert to the point of being 'anti-social'. Not so easy to warm up to others and can be seen as cold and indifferent. But Wren can be especially warm and affectionate towards those whom he considers as close friends. And the only people who earned this special treatment were Milou and Saliou. So while some friends are for a reason and some for a season, his bond with the Omega twins are for life. They were inseparable.

The three spent most of their time with each other and while in their teens. While they did have other friends outside their tiny circle, they still refused to budge from each other. Perhaps this was the natural effect of an Omega's Imprinting. And Wren wouldn't want it any other waySome are born as brothers, while others are made into the best of friends. And for Wren, the Omega twins are both.

But if Wren were to gauge his feelings, he seemed to have a special soft spot for the younger twin, Saliou...

 

━━━━━━━━┛ ✠ ┗━━━━━━━━

2017.

It was summer between their ninth and tenth grades at Westbrook Heights Middle School, and Saliou was sitting at the bench waiting for Milou to finish his swimming lessons. Sensing that it was his only opportunity to be alone with Saliou, Wren gathered the courage to come up to him and confess his feelings to the other.

He seated himself on the edge of the bench, twisting his cap in his hands, cheeks flushed red as he began to stammer out his confession.

"Saliou, I think I have feelings for you. Actually... I think I'm falling in love with you. If I see you go out with another guy, my heart will be broken, and I don't think I can handle that." Wren said this almost breathlessly, as if he was running out of time. He expected to be received with a gale of ridicule or god forbid, evoke a look of utter disgust from the other.

But Saliou's initial shock was quickly replaced by a soft expression, his lips curving in a slight smile.  He moved closer to Wren until their knees touched. Then he grabbed Wren's hand.

At first, Wren wasn't sure what was happening, and it confused him immensely. Saliou was so close to him that they could feel each other's breaths. But the feel of Saliou's hand in his felt right. It was perfect. He caressed his fingertips with his own.

Milou was nowhere in sight so this rare display of affection felt... necessary. Saliou held Wren even closer to him, taking in the natural and distinctive scent of his skin, which reminded him of cinnamon, notes of cedarwood, and a hint of citrus. It was calming and somehow sensual.

Hand still holding Wren's, Saliou leaned in to whisper in the other's ear. "I have feelings for you too," he admitted. Again he smiled faintly, then his expression turned glum as his eyes darted toward the pool where Milou was. "But... there's no way I can act on them. You know Milou likes you very much just as I do." He shrugged helplessly. "I don't want to hurt him."

Wren grunted with frustration. "But it's you I like. I mean I like Milou too, but it's not the kind of 'like' I feel towards you. I just... see him as a friend." He placed his hands over Saliou's arms and gave them a gentle tug. "Come on, you were always willing to give up anything – even the things you're fond of – just to please Milou. Did you actually think I didn't know that? It's about time you do something for your own personal happiness, Saliou."

Wren was right. Over the years, Saliou learned to be so in-tune with making Milou happy that he forgot to keep his own needs and emotions in check. But this time, he found something – someone – he just could not give up on.

For once, he wanted this for himself. His alone.

Saliou dropped his gaze and bit his bottom lip. "I don't want Milou to find out. At least not yet. Telling him now would only break his heart. I don't want that. I'd hate myself for it..."

"But delaying the inevitable won't make it any less painful," Wren argued. "I want us to date properly. No secrets. No hiding behind someone's back."

Saliou shook his head, avoiding the other's gaze. "That's my term, Wren," he replied resolutely. "If you don't agree with it, then let's just forget this conversation ever happened – "

"Saliou." Wren took on a firm, almost pleading tone when he said the other's name. "Please don't disregard my feelings just like that." He gave a sharp sigh which elaborated his frustration. And then, he took Saliou's hand in his again. "Alright. If that's what you want, then I'm fine with it. But sooner or later, you'll have to tell Milou about us."

Saliou hesitated, but held captive by the thrall of Wren's gaze, he nodded weakly. "Thank you for choosing me, Wren. You have no idea how happy I am right now," he said with a coy smile.

"What are you talking about?" Wren said, laughing softly. "It was never a competition between you and your brother. Besides, even if you reject me now, I'd still keep on trying until you learn to like me back." His palm cupped Saliou's cheek. "See? I must love you very much. I'm determined to win you over."

Saliou drew his face closer to the other's palm. "Just... promise me you won't tell Milou. Let me do it. I need to find the right time to tell him."

"You need to do it sooner than later, Saliou. The longer we hide it from Milou, the more it'll hurt him. It's understandable for him to get upset. But soon enough he'll get over it. Time heals all wounds, remember?"

"I know. Just... don't make any drastic moves. I'll tell him myself. And then..."

Wren raised an eyebrow, his thumb brushing over Saliou's cheek. "And then?"

Saliou drove his fingers through Wren's and pressed it lightly. He couldn't have escaped, even if he wanted to.

"And then, we'll see..."

 

━━━━━━━━┓ ✠ ┏━━━━━━━━

2019.

Saliou and Wren have been dating for almost a couple of years now. More than ever, the young Alpha had become Saliou's safe haven, providing comfort and stability during difficult times. More often than not, these difficult times would involve having to clean up after Milou's mess and momentary whims.

But while things continued to change, there was one constant in the young couple's life: Milou was still being kept in the dark about their relationship.

At this point, Wren had been willing to put up with a lot, but he was beginning to grow impatient. He was starting to regret not giving Saliou an ultimatum.

Either Saliou had to tell his brother soon or he will be forced to make the first move.

The twins were expected to enter college with the beginning of the next school year. With cram school eating up most of their time, meeting up with Wren was becoming more and more difficult. Final exams were also looming close so they would limit their times together to prepare for exams.

Meanwhile, Wren would always stay on call. When the twins were finally free to enjoy a peaceful time away from studies, they would meet up at the public library. Their usual spot would be the long table at the far-left corner of the Modern Literature Section.

One day, Wren arrived a few minutes later than the twins. Even from a distance, he could tell that the two were not in good terms. Milou was not his usual chatty, energetic self; while Saliou, ever so serious, was busy reading something on his phone, his body tilted away from Milou.

It was Milou who saw Wren walk through the door. His face instantly lit up, breaking into a wide grin as he waved to Wren. Meanwhile, Saliou was so immersed in what he was doing that he barely even noticed Wren's arrival.

Milou quickly moved over and sat in the next empty chair, offering the other to Wren so he could sit between him and Saliou.

Wren sighed as he placed his bag on the table, hung his school blazer on the back of the chair, and sat down. "What is it this time, Milou?" he asked wearily as he leaned forward, turning to the older twin with a hand pressed against his cheek.

Milou gave him an appalled, what-makes-you-think-it's-my-fault kind of look. He glanced over Wren's shoulder and shot his twin brother a fretful look. But Saliou was still too fixated on his phone that he didn't even bother to look up.

"I... missed cram school," Milou mumbled, voice barely audible. "But I didn't mean to. Aiden and his pals invited me to play pachinko for a bit, but I –" He cast his eyes downward. " – I lost track of time..."

Another heavy sigh from Wren.

"I didn't mean to, okay?" Milou said tartly as he raised his head to glare at Saliou. "And I'm sorry. But you didn't have to run your mouth like that in front of my friends. You embarrassed me. You need to apologize to me, too."

Finally, Saliou looked up at the other, his forehead creasing into a frown. "Apology not accepted. And no, I will not apologize to you." He quickly turned his attention back to his phone. "You've been skipping cram school and we all know this won't be the last. One more absence, Milou. Just one more and the school will notify Mom and Dad. I'm tired of having to cover up for you all the time. Yet your main concern is what your stupid friends would think of you?" Saliou let out a humorless scoff. "Very fucking classic, Milou."

Wren held his hands up, sensing the rising tension between the twins. "Now, now... Let's all cool our heads and take a deep breath."

Milou breathed sharply as he leaned back in his chair, arms crossed across his chest. "He started it."

"Of course it's my fault. It's always someone else's fault," Saliou snapped sarcastically, eyes still fixed on his phone.

"Well." Wren chuckled uncomfortably. "Your brother has a point, Milou. You need to take cram school seriously. You guys want to get into the best business school in the State, right? Entrance exam's going to be pretty tough, you know."

"I know that," replied Milou in a stubborn tone. "It was just a one-time thing."

Saliou rolled his eyes at this. "Yup. Because you're going to come up with a different excuse next time," he muttered.

Wren ruffled Milou's hair lightly before he could make any retorts. "Alright. Time-out, you guys. Let's take our pride down a notch and just apologize to each other, shall we?"

Neither of them responded. Milou just sat there in his seat, staring out in space, as if waiting for the other to apologize first. But Saliou did not budge.

"Uhm... Earth to Saliou?" Wren finally noticed that Saliou had been too engrossed with something on his phone. "What's keeping you busy, Sal? Care to share it with us?"

"Oh, it's nothing. It's just..."

Wren leaned over and peered at the screen of Saliou's phone. He was reading an Internet news article, and Wren was close enough to have read the news headline:

 

21-year old Omega woman gang-raped by Alpha lover, his friends in Fort Vizesmolou village

 

The phone's screen went black before Wren could read the rest.

Saliou looked up at him, rubbing his hand against the back of his neck. "Uhm, sorry," he said, feeling a little uneasy, "you were saying...?"

For some reason, Wren couldn't meet Saliou's eyes with his own. He reached into his bag and folded out a piece of paper, hesitating before he held it out to Saliou.

"What's this?" Saliou took it from him.

"I got my official allele testing result today."

"You did?" Milou cut in as he leaned over Wren, eyes gleaming as he snatched the paper from Saliou's hand. "So it's that time of the year, huh? You get to know whether you're recessive or dominant." He glanced up at Wren before turning his attention back to the paper in his hands. "Well, it's not like we don't already know you're dominant." He tossed the paper back to Saliou, then leaned back on his chair. "So, now that you're an officially registered citizen of the State, you're legally allowed to bond and have a mate!"

"Milou!" Saliou hissed.

"Tell us, Wren," Milou continued, pretending not to hear his brother, "what would you do if you were to meet your mate? Do you believe in Fated Pairs?"

Wren kept glancing at Saliou, not sure if he should answer the question at all.

Milou leaned close to the young Alpha, eyes filled with anticipation as he waited for the other's response. "So...?"

"Well..." Wren said reluctantly, "I'm not sure about Fated Pairs. I mean, you see some of them on TV – couples claiming to have been brought together by fate. But... do you remember that Russian athlete couple, Evgenia Povalov and Igor Turgenev? They claimed to be fated mates, but barely a couple of years into their marriage, they ended up divorcing."

Saliou huffed and crossed his arms. "That's because Fated Pairing is just a myth – nothing but an artificial concept concocted by the government. It's just one of their lame ways to try and get citizens to subconsciously discriminate – to try and follow some silly concept instead of relying on logic and reason. 'One Alpha to One Omega'? Ha! How silly."

A half-smile formed in Wren's lips but deep inside, he felt a twinge of disappointment as he listened to Saliou.

"The chance to meet your 'fated mate' is close to zero. Okay? Just think about it. How can you choose each other out of billions of people? And even if you do, how sure are you that the relationship will work in the long run? Would you even like each other automatically?"

Both Milou and Wren were silent throughout his monologue.

"Well, here's a fact they've been hiding from you for the longest time: You are the captain of your own fate," Saliou said with finality. "So when you choose your mate, you create your own destiny. Simple as that."

After his intemperate speech, a dead silence ensued, broken only by Milou's irritated grunt. "You don't have a single romantic bone in your body, do you? You're always such a buzzkill."

"I'm just telling you the truth."

Wren cleared his throat. "Despite that... I'd still like to believe in the existence of Fated Pairs, though," he declared, which pleased Milou, but surprised Saliou.

"I knew it!" Milou trilled as he wound his hands around Wren's arm.

Saliou lowered his head, feeling a little ashamed and remorseful about what he said.

"I mean, what was the Imprinting for, right?" Milou pushed on, resting his head on Wren's shoulder. "One way or another, you're bound to any one of us."

Saliou put a hand against his forehead. He could not help but feel embarrassed on his brother's behalf. "And that's according to our parents. Wren, you can't possibly think it's – "

Milou's irate voice cut him off mid-sentence. "What if I'm your Omega?"

"W-What?" Wren chuckled nervously, glancing over at Saliou, whose eyes were wide with shock.

"Milou Matisse, you have no shame!" the younger twin snarled.

"What?" roared Milou. "It's just a what-if question. Right, Wren?"

The young Dumont was feeling even more awkward now. Yet he was ready to indulge the other. After all, it wouldn't hurt to be honest in his own way.

"Well..." Wren started as he looked at Saliou, smiled at him softly and reassuringly before turning back to Milou, "If I were to meet my fated mate, I'll make sure to treat them like royalty; that they'll live the good life. I'll give them the best things they can have. I'll laugh and celebrate with them when they're happy, cry and give them comfort when they're sad, take care of them, and let them know that I love them with all my heart."

Both twins blushed with Wren's unrestrained and passionate words.

"Wren, I think I've fallen in love with you even more now," Milou declared without so much as a stutter. "I really, really love you!"

Both Wren and Saliou knew that Milou can be quite forthright with his words, but this was the first time he's ever expressed his feelings toward the young Dumont. But this was especially upsetting for the younger twin, who has not yet voiced out his feelings clearly to Wren. 

"I'm telling you now, Wren Dumont, my ultimate dream is to become the best spouse and mother," Milou proclaimed, looking at Wren with determined eyes. "I'm going to marry and have kids. No. Kids! We're going to become one, big, happy family and –"

At last, Saliou could no longer stand his brother's ramblings. With clenched fists, he said, "Are you for real right now? You expect me to sacrifice four years of my life at a college that you chose, only for me to see you married off and producing babies?" Every word he said was laced with bitterness. "I know happiness can mean many different things to people, but is getting married and bearing children your only definition of 'happiness'?"

Milou's mouth hung open for a moment, then he scoffed. "W-What's up with you all of a sudden? Stop being so melodramatic."

"Come on, Milou, give yourself more credit. You're so much more than that."

"'So much more than' what?"

"A fucking babymaker!"

Saliou caught Milou off guard, but the humiliation he felt quickly turned to anger. Milou's light-brown eyes nearly bored holes into his younger brother. "What's so wrong about wanting to have kids?!"

Wren broke into a cold sweat, sensing the beginning of a heated argument. But before he could attempt to pacify the situation, they heard the sound of stiletto heels clicking along the marble floor, growing louder as they approached their table. That was when the librarian came up and scolded them.

"Be quiet or leave the premises," the librarian warned them sternly.

Saliou was quick to apologize on behalf of everyone and promised to not make any more ruckus. With a little convincing, the librarian let them off and allowed them to stay.

When the librarian finally left, Wren slumped back into his chair and let out a huge sigh of relief. "Phew! I thought we were done for."

Lips tightly pursed, Milou bolted from his chair and furiously gathered up his textbooks from the table.

"What's up, Milou?" Wren wondered.

"I'm going home," Milou replied acidly as he shoved the books inside his bag. Again, he glowered at Saliou. "Don't you dare follow me."

The younger twin snorted and shot him a sideways glance. "What makes you think I will?"

"Guys, come on," Wren groaned, "it doesn't have to end this way."

"Well it already did," Milou retorted as he slung his bag over his shoulder. He fixed his eyes again on Wren. "Come on, Wren, let's go."

"Uhm... Would you rather just stay here with us a bit longer?" Wren's voice was hesitant.

Milou's lips pursed in such a way that Wren knew he was disappointed. "Fine. Stay here with Mr. Buzzkill, then." He turned and walked away; Wren and Saliou hearing his heavy footsteps as he went.

"Saliou, aren't you gonna' go after him?" Wren asked in concern.

"No," Saliou answered as he leaned forward over the table and rested his head on crossed arms. "I'm too tired to be dealing with Milou's bullshit right now. Don't worry about him, he'll cool down and come to his senses before he could even reach home."

Wren let out a slow breath as he bent forward and clasped his hands together between his knees. "Sal, I don't want to have to keep reminding you, but... this is one of those things we could've easily avoided if Milou already knew about us dating..."

It was Saliou's turn to sigh. "I know," he said, remorsefully. "It's just that... I still couldn't find the perfect timing."

"Sal... At this point, any time can be the perfect timing. It's been almost two years." He looked at the other searchingly, before adding, "Would you like to know how I feel about our current situation?"

Saliou stared at him and nodded. "Of course."

"I don't want you and Milou to be arguing, right in front of me. Earlier, you guys put me in a really tight spot. It's almost unbearable. I really hate to be the cause of a sibling quarrel..."

"I'm so sorry... It's my fault. But Milou and I were already quarreling even before you arrived. It's just that... he kept adding fuel to the fire." He ran his hand over his face and turned towards Wren fully. "And I'm so sorry about all those shit he'd been spouting. It's almost embarrassing, hearing him say those words."

"What, you mean the part where he confessed to me?" Wren asked jokingly. "I thought it was flattering."

Saliou's brown eyes filled with sparks as he glared at the other, unable to hide his jealousy.

"Hey now, I'm just kidding." Wren put his hand on Saliou's back, rubbing in a circular motion. "Well, it was kind of cute, but... sometimes I wish you're just as vocal as your brother. I always want to know what's going on in that pretty head of yours. I want to know what you're thinking, what you're feeling..."

Saliou groaned silently as he rested his hand on his cheek, gazing down at Wren's face. "Alright, then. To be perfectly honest, I was... jealous," he grumbled, his voice shaky. "Milou got to say it to you before I did. Seemed kind of unfair."

Wren's eyebrows knitted in confusion. "Huh? Say what?"

Saliou averted his eyes and nervously moved his hand to one ear, as if trying to tuck a strand of hair behind it. His hand fluttered, and then he dropped it into his lap. Wren realized he was nervous, his cheeks flushed bright red. "You know... he told you he loves you."

The expression on his face was so vulnerable and full of yearning that it made Wren's heart skip a beat. "Silly Saliou." He chuckled and took the other's hand in his. "It's never too late. You have all the time in the world to say it."

Saliou buried his head in his arms, on the table, and moaned. "Now I'm embarrassed."

Wren raised his head gingerly and looked around to see if they were alone. The nearest person from them was three tables away. For the time being, that part of the library was, other than them, empty.

Wren moved his chair closer to Saliou, leaned his head back on the table, and motioned the other to do the same. Saliou gave him a quizzical look but did as he was told; scooted closer to Wren. Their faces were buried behind the piles of textbooks on their table.

For Wren, there was no beating around the bush. He leaned his face close to Saliou's, put a hand on his face and found his lips.

It was a soft, open-mouth kiss, and Wren slid his hand to the back of Saliou's neck, not forcing to continue if the other didn't want to.

At first, Saliou was startled having been taken completely by surprise, but he soon started to melt against Wren and found himself kissing him back.

"A gentle reminder, Saliou Matisse," Wren whispered as their lips parted for the merest moment, "that you're the only one I love."

Saliou laughed softly. "I... I love you, too," he said as he caught Wren for another kiss.

One short kiss became another, and then another. Wren felt a surge of excitement when he felt Saliou's timid response to his kisses become more passionate. His tongue moved slowly against Saliou's, tasting him, kissing him all the deeper.

Both were so lost in each other, so lost in the moment, that they forgot where they were. They filled each other with a yearning they couldn't quell. The kiss deepened until their breaths became ragged.

Saliou had to break the kiss to draw in a breath.

Meanwhile, Wren's gaze roved him languorously. "God... You finally said it," he muttered, his breathing unsteady.

Saliou shrugged. "I suppose I did," he said, beaming.

For a moment, they just stared at each other, smiling. But then, quite unexpectedly, Saliou found Wren leaning even closer, his nose snuggling into his hair. "Wren?" He threaded his fingers through the young Dumont's hair; soft and silken and smelled of old spice shampoo. Yet he also smelled smoky and dark and quite honestly like a treat – the familiar, distinctive scent of an Alpha.

Saliou gave a small gasp as Wren drew his nose along his neck, taking in his scent. They sat there for several seconds, longer than ten, maybe twenty. Saliou wasn't counting, but he knew they had to break away from each other's need for physical intimacy. 

Wren came up for air and straightened in his seat, his face flushed, eyes bright. He stared down at Saliou intently. "Sal, I'm not sure if you're aware of it but, recently, you're giving off this... slightly different scent."

"W-What? Is it bad?" Saliou pulled back and sniffed himself, feeling highly embarrassed.

"No, no, that's not what I meant," Wren said as he shook his head and chortled. "On the contrary, you smell nice. Like, really nice. But, I can smell something different on you. Kind of strong... a little overpowering."

Saliou blushed deeply. "What do I smell like?"

"Well..." Wren closed his eyes and inhaled deeply, as if soaking up as much of the other's scent as possible. "... it's kind of like jasmine... mixed with peach and orange blossom... I'm not sure how to put it but, you have an irresistible smell." He grinned and wiggled his eyebrows, teasing at the implication of his words.

"You mean to say I'm like a walking flower garden?" Saliou said brokenly. He didn't even want to joke about this touchy subject, but he didn't wish to ruin the mood.

Saliou always thought he had a good sense of smell, but some say it's harder to sense one's own scent. He wondered why he'd come off stronger to Wren. Nobody has ever come up to him and remarked about his scent – not until Wren did.

Could it be that he's the only one who can recognize my scent? Saliou wondered. But why?

Wren crossed his arms on the table and rested his chin on them. "You know, sometimes I can smell your scent from a distance. It makes it easy to tell you're nearby. Somehow, it reminded me of something they taught us in health class. About... About scent glands and... bonding."

Saliou sensed Wren's hesitation and wished he knew what he really wanted to say. "I hope you're not talking about Fated Pairs, because I don't want to have to argue with you about it, too."

"But how can you explain the reason that maybe, just maybe, I'm the only one who recognizes your scent?"

But before Saliou could reply, the alarm on his phone went off. The sudden noise startled Wren and Saliou went for his backpack as he quickly fumbled for his phone, cursing himself for forgetting to put it on silent mode. He flicked his finger on the screen, scrolling to see what made the alarm go off.

There was a long pause, and Saliou's expression changed from one of irritation to one of stress.

"Sal?"

Saliou let out a worried sigh and laid his phone down hard on the table. "The alarm on the heat tracker went off," he said. "My heat cycle starts next week."

"Oh... Isn't it your second cycle this year?"

Saliou nodded as he pressed his fingers to his forehead, anxiety clear on his face. "I'll have to go and ask my doctor to refill my prescription for the heat suppressors." He turned and gave Wren an apologetic smile. "Sorry. I guess next week's date will be postponed."

"Don't worry about it," said Wren as he reached for Saliou's hand and squeezed it gently. "If anything, I'm just a call and video chat away. Okay?"

Saliou smiled as he leaned over to give Wren a kiss on the cheek. "Thank you, and I'm sorry."

Wren and Saliou, now 16 and 17 respectively, must admit that they have now reached the age when a line must be set between an unbonded Alpha and Omega.

The pheromones of an Omega in heat could drive Alphas and some Betas mad with lust, especially when it goes unsuppressed. And it could be much more dangerous for unmarked Omegas who inadvertently tempt Alphas and Betas with their natural pheromones.

But while Betas are the farthest away from giving in to their primordial impulses, Alphas are an entirely different story. They are more inclined to their primal instincts, some of which are to claim and breed. Omegas who go unchecked when in heat are only seeking trouble...

As the years went by, the young couple eventually learned to adjust around these changes. Be that as it may, their life and their relationship continued without significant events for the next few years.

In fact, everything went so well that they failed to foresee the troubles that lie ahead...

 

━━━━━━━━┓ ✠ ┏━━━━━━━━

2023.

The Matisses held a small cocktail party in their home, to celebrate the twins' 21st birthday.

According to tradition, a man's 21st birthday is an important transition marking his entry into adulthood. But instead of hosting a lavish party, the Matisses preferred to have a more intimate affair for the twins. There were no more than thirty guests at the party, most of whom were relatives and neighbors. They wanted the guests to have fun and get to know each other in a relaxed environment. No suits, no formal dresses.

It was a particularly sultry evening, and the party was held in the verdant garden of the Matisse household. The color scheme for the night were rose gold and beige.

Cocktail tables were spread across the yard, adding a touch of friendliness and informality. Food and refreshments were spread out on long tables under white canopies. Guests helped themselves to colorful cocktails. Both alcoholic and virgin were served. Scrumptious delicacies from sausages to cakes and mini pastries, were passed continually to guests.

At 6 PM, the party commenced with a brief speech from the twins. At first, Saliou was too reluctant to speak in front of a crowd. He feared public speaking, of trying to deal with an audience. But with a bit of prodding from Milou, he managed to utter a short message: "Thank you for coming to our party and I hope you'll have a great time". The rest was taken care of by the older twin, whose special talent is to talk and get a party started faster than any other people knew.

Obviously, the entire Dumont family were present in the party. While the parents were busy accommodating and chatting with guests, the three Dumont brothers had gathered around a cocktail table, talking among each other. Mason, the eldest among the three, was smoking a cigarette; while Wren and Noah, the second eldest, were busy sipping mixed drinks, speaking in hushed tones.

"Wren, you do know you're drinking pina colada, right?" Noah asked after a while. "It's your third cocktail and you're drinking it like it's lemonade. We're just a couple of hours into the party."

Wren fiddled restlessly with the little paper umbrella in his pina colada; eyes fixed on Saliou who was immersed in a conversation with some cousins, under one of the canopies.

The twins were dressed in silk twill shirts in contrasting colors – Milou in beige while Saliou in rose gold. Of course, the young Dumont paid special attention to the latter. Saliou tucked his shirt tightly into a pair of tan pleated pants, which perfectly highlighted his slim waist. And as he sat back and crossed his legs, Wren caught a glimpse of his exposed ankles over a well-fitted pair of brown suede shoes.

He took another swig of his pina colada, drumming his fingers restlessly against the tabletop. There wasn't a chance to talk to Saliou in private, which got him more and more frustrated by the minute.

He snapped out of his daze when Mason placed a hand on his shoulder and squeezed. "... nothing compared to our lucky baby brother here, who's snagged himself two exceptionally beautiful Omegas."

Wren groaned as his two elder brothers each wrapped an arm around him. "Tell us, baby bro," teased the other brother Noah, "how can you even sleep at night, knowing you can only choose one or the other?"

"Are you stupid?" Mason jeered. "Whoever said he can only choose one? He can legally marry both."

Part of Wren was getting more livid by the second. "Get off my case," he snapped as he took another sip of his pina colada and put the glass down hard on the table.

"Oh! Don't tell us you've already picked a bias." Mason chuckled, prodding an elbow in Wren's ribs.

"Stop it," hissed the young Dumont.

"Once you've made your pick, you better have a good talk with the leftover and warn them about Mason," Noah jested. "This fool's gonna' go after his ass!"

Wren's face wore a look of absolute disgust. "Stop making crass jokes. What do you mean by 'leftover'?"

"Well, if you're planning to marry only one of them, how do you expect the other one would feel? You can't expect them to stay single forever, can you?" Noah reasoned as he jabbed an elbow into Mason's arm. "This one here has zero luck with Omegas. Maybe you can hand over the other twin and –"

Wren gnashed his teeth and clenched his fists tightly. "Stop talking about them like they're some fucking hunting prey," he seethed, which stunned his brothers into silence.

If there's anything Wren hates about his brothers, it would be their backward, Retrogression-era mentality towards Omegas. And it's precisely because of this, that the Matisse twins have avoided mingling with them. Saliou in particular, has a special hatred for them. Wren figured it's best not to tell him about their conversation and just keep it to himself. Otherwise his hatred might just grow worse.

The elder brothers were quick to pick up Wren's display of aggression, and so they decided to steer the conversation toward something safer.

Mason cleared his throat. "So anyway... how can you even tell those two apart?" he asked as he took a long drag on his cigarette and pointed a finger at the twins.

Eyebrows still creased together, Wren replied crisply: "The one in rose pink is Saliou, so obviously the other one's Milou."

Noah gave the twins an intense stare. "Yeah, but how can you tell? They look practically the same to me."

Wren huffed in exasperation as his eyes were once again fixed on the twins. "Milou is shorter by a few centimeters. His hair and eyes are a shade lighter than Saliou's. And... Saliou has two moles right here," He pointed to a spot right under his left collarbone, "like, over here."

The twins snickered as they gave each other a knowing look.

"And you know that how...?" Noah asked tauntingly.

Wren froze and his face flushed a shade of pink. His mouth twisted in a smirk as he grabbed his glass and drained his pina colada. "Pricks." He slammed his glass onto the table and turned to walk away.

"Go get 'em, tiger!" Mason cheered, punching his fist up into the air.

Wren stuck his middle finger in the air without turning around.

 

━━━━━━━━┓ ✠ ┏━━━━━━━━

The young Dumont walked as quickly as he could to get away from his brothers. But as he was about to approach the small group of people gathered under the canopy, Saliou was suddenly nowhere in sight. He slowed his walking down as he looked around, trying to spot his boyfriend in the crowd. No sign of him.

There, though, was Milou, still busy entertaining his cousins over a bottle of wine. Slowly, Wren walked around to the side of the garden, where a stone walkway led to a gazebo in the middle of a small pond. He could only hope the older twin hadn't noticed him leave. He was desperate to have some time alone with Saliou.

With just a few pina coladas, Wren was already feeling tipsy. He cautiously watched his every step as he ambled along the stone walkway, careful not to trip or fall over.

Suddenly, he stopped, sticking his nose up in the air, sniffing about. He caught a whiff of an ever-familiar scent: a strong mix of jasmine, peach, and orange blossom. It was Saliou's scent, telling him he was somewhere nearby.

Over time, Wren figured that Saliou tends to give off a more powerful scent when he's nearing his heat. But while he could normally tolerate it, there were times he'd feel dizzy when he gets a whiff of his pheromones. Other times, he would feel all hot and bothered, even agitated.

This is one of those times. Whether or not it's aggravated by alcohol, he couldn't tell. He didn't care.

His body wanted Saliou.

He continued along the walkway but as he did, another strong scent tickled his nose. On the side of the gravel path were rows of thick shrubs, beautifully heavy with blossom, the branches laden with bright pink flowers. Wren smiled softly as he stopped once to pluck two tiny flowers, and then proceeded towards the gazebo where Saliou's scent was the strongest.

There he was sitting in the gazebo, phone to his ear, talking animatedly and gesturing with his hands. Wren walked slowly toward Saliou with his hands behind his back. He could hear bits of the one-sided conversation as he walked closer to the gazebo.

"... Yes. I'll make sure to turn in my CV next week, Ma'am," said Saliou, in a lively voice. "Yes, of course. You can expect me to be there an hour before schedule."

It wasn't until Wren was standing at the entrance to the gazebo, that Saliou finally noticed his presence. His gaze met Wren's, then he inclined his head and gestured for him to move closer.

Wren sat down next to him. He placed a hand on the other's knee, squeezing it lightly. "Definitely, Ma'am," Saliou said over the phone, trying to end the conversation as soon as possible. "Thank you so much. You won't be disappointed... Yes, Ma'am. I'll see you next month."

Finally, much to Wren's relief, Saliou hung up the phone. He heaved a deep sigh of satisfaction and looked up at Wren with bright eyes.

"Who was that?" Wren queried.

Saliou's face lit up. "That was Ms. Newman from Skye International. I got accepted as an intern at my first-choice company!" he announced excitedly as he wrapped his arms around Wren's neck. "Please be happy for me!"

Wren took a deep breath – he smelled so sweet. His scent came strong and seemed almost overpowering to his mind. "That's great news, Sal. I'm so happy for you." Careful not to let Saliou see what he was holding, he slid his arms around his waist and kissed him.

Saliou was a little taken aback at how possessive and demanding Wren's kiss was. "I will... start... in three... three weeks..." he said between fiery kisses. "It's... probably time to... think about – Hold on, Wren." Saliou broke away from the other's arms and leaned back. "Are you okay? I can smell alcohol on you... Are you drunk?"

Wren sucked in his lower lip. "Not really. Tipsy, yes." He paused before adding, "I was with Mason and Noah."

"Yes, I saw," Saliou replied coldly, raising an eyebrow. "Did they force you to drink again?"

Wren shook his head no. "I'm at a party that serves alcohol. Of course I'll want to have a drink or two."

"Or three," Saliou hastily corrected him. "Jeez, you. You know you have a low alcohol tolerance. You're red as a tomato."

Wren stared at Saliou languorously, taking in every detail of his face. For the time he was feeling a little crazy, past thought, past care, past everything save the unspeakable wonder of the person in front of him.

"I haven't had the opportunity to greet you a happy birthday," he said as he leaned over to nuzzle Saliou's neck.

"Mmm... thanks." Saliou was careful not to let out a giggle.

Wren kissed the side of his neck before raising his head back to look at the other solemnly. "Here, I have a little something for you." He took Saliou's hands and cupped them together; and when he opened them, setting on his palms were two stemless flowers.

Saliou took them and simply stated, "Wow, thank you!"

"Do you know what these are?"

Saliou scratched the side of his cheek, trying not to laugh. "Uhm, Mom's flowers?"

Wren rubbed the underside of his nose and chuckled. "Well, yes, and I hope she can forgive me for stealing some." And then he pushed his hands closer to Saliou. "But more precisely, they're camellias. It's the season of camellias, so they're in full bloom right now. Do you know what these flowers represent?"

Saliou stared down at the blossoms and shook his head ruefully. "I don't know. Tell me."

"They symbolize faithfulness. Destiny," answered Wren as he placed his hands over Saliou's and gently closed his fingers around the other's palms. "My destiny is in your hands, Saliou Matisse."

His heart threatened to stop. For a moment he thought Saliou might not respond at all. Perhaps it wasn't the right setting for it. Yet he felt it with all his heart, and perhaps the alcohol and the veil of the evening have given him the courage to articulate his thoughts.

Saliou started to blush. He dropped his gaze as he crinkled his nose. "You're such a hopeless romantic, Wren Dumont." Once again, he pulled Wren to him and kissed him deeply, forcing the other's body back in a slight bend. Instinctively, Wren placed his arms around Saliou's waist and pulled him up into an intimate embrace.

"...Sal, don't you still believe we're a Fated Pair?" Wren asked before pulling Saliou into another heated kiss. "I know you've been a skeptic but... don't you believe in what we share? Look here, I'm the only one who recognizes your scent. Isn't that enough proof?"

Saliou felt him place his left hand under his shirt, slowly sliding across his bare skin. He closed his eyes and let out a sharp breath. "I don't know, Wren... It still sounds very much like a propaganda to me. But... does it even matter whether or not we're a Fated Pair?" He opened his eyes and stared right back at Wren. "One thing I'm sure of is that my feelings for you are real."

For now, Wren had no choice but to settle with his answer. It was more than enough. He continued kissing Saliou, his lips trailing down the other's jaw. His hand wandered further down Saliou's body.

"Wren, no..." Saliou reached down and stopped his hand before it reached the hollow of his spine.

Saliou's voice broke Wren from the trance. "I – I'm sorry. I didn't mean to," he muttered contritely.

For a moment it was quiet, and Wren stared blankly at Saliou, watching him as he tucked his shirt back into his pants. Later on the silence was broken when Saliou cleared his throat and said, "I'll be moving out with Milou to a studio apartment in Glapshire next month. It's much closer to where I'll be working."

"Glapshire? That's in the next state, isn't it?" Wren replied quickly, sounding relieved by the change in subject.

Saliou nodded. "It's just a bus ride away."

Wren rested his chin on Saliou's shoulder and whispered in his ear. "Good news for us, then. I can go and visit you any time without having to worry about anyone suddenly barging in on us."

"Hmm, why's that?" Saliou's forehead crinkled. "What are you planning to do, Mr. Dumont?"

Wren wasn't sure if the other was riding on his suggestive remark or was quite simply oblivious to it. He chortled as he shook his head faintly. "I'm looking forward to a fun housewarming party," he said, putting an end to that part of their conversation.

And then, another silence. Saliou kept staring at the rippling reflections in the pond, while Wren followed his gaze.

"How did you know I was here, anyway?" Saliou asked, keeping his gaze on the pond.

"Like I said, I traced your scent," Wren answered in a smooth tone.

Saliou slowly shifted his eyes to look at Wren. "Really...? Is it coming off too strong?"

"Mm-hmm... I guess your next cycle's drawing close."

Saliou sighed as he leaned to the side, his head coming to rest on Wren's shoulder.

"Sal?" Wren whispered.

"I'm... I'm worried it might clash with my internship," Saliou responded quietly.

Wren tipped Saliou's chin up so he could look in his eyes. "Hey, you'll be fine," he said, as if dismissing Saliou's concerns as foolish. "Just take the suppressants on time, and there won't be any problem. You'll see. You'll do great." He wanted to kiss Saliou again, but he wasn't giving off the right signal anymore. He settled for a tight embrace, rocking the other in his arms. "Look at you. You're one step closer to your dream now..."

The young couple stayed locked in each other's arms for a moment. Then Wren drew back. He inhaled and met Saliou's gaze, his blue-gray eyes resolute. "Where else are we going from here, Sal? Soon enough the idea of marriage will come up. Right?"

For a few seconds they just sat there, looking at each other. The question genuinely surprised Saliou, like he hadn't even thought about it. He swallowed hard and cleared his throat. "Are you perhaps... already planning to get married? Like, soon? I – I mean, I'm not saying I don't want to marry you. It's just that..." His voice trailed off.

Wren took his hands in his and tugged gently. "I wish I could marry you right here, right now. But I know you're not ready for such a big commitment. At least not yet. I know it's not at the top of your priorities right now, and I understand that. But you know what's a more immediate concern?" He gazed up at Saliou through hooded eyes. "I'm sorry to put the pressure on you this time but, it's about time we tell Milou about us."

This time, it was no longer a question nor a suggestion. It was a plea for action.

"How many years has it been, Sal? We've kept him in the dark too long. Far too long. We can't keep going like this."

Saliou lowered his head and bit his lips. "Aren't we... fine like this?"

Hearing the other's words, Wren felt flooded with disappointment, tinged with frustration. "No, it's not fine like this. Please allow me to love you freely. Allow me to show everyone you're mine." He let out a deep sigh as he leaned his forehead against Saliou's. "I've started to look at Milou like some rival for your affection. And I hate that I'm feeling this way."

Keeping his eyes downcast, Saliou muttered, "But if Milou finds out, he'll hate me..."

An involuntary grunt made its way to Wren's throat. "Think about how feel about this situation, babe. I don't like it. I don't like it one bit. You won't want it to come to a point where he'll find out only when we're already engaged. That's absurd. Pure betrayal."

There was silence. Saliou wasn't sure how to respond and was fearful that, if he got it wrong, Wren would be even more disappointed.

"Milou isn't a kid anymore. It's about time he faced reality. Hell, he walks around all the time in such a cushioned-up life. It's no wonder he doesn't do anything like a real grownup. You've spoiled him too much." His hands cupped Saliou's face. "You have to let him know, Sal. Let him know right now."

"Save your breath."

Wren and Saliou turned their heads around in surprise. When they saw who it was, their hearts immediately turned cold.

It was Milou, standing by the entryway with a wine bottle in hand; indignation and contempt written all over his face.

"Is that how you've seen me as this whole time?" Milou's eyes shot toward Wren's face. "A nuisance? Someone who's getting in the way of your love?"

"M-Milou, listen here..." Saliou said shakily. He stood up, cautiously approaching his brother.

Milou gripped the wine bottle even more tightly, trying to control his temper. "How long have you been keeping this from me?" he asked between gritted teeth.

Wren stood up and pulled Saliou aside. "Six years," he replied resolutely. "We've been going out for six years."

At first Milou looked shocked, but soon enough a mocking smirk appeared on his face. "So you mean to tell me," he said getting in Wren's face, "that you two had me completely duped for six years?" His eyes were filled with pain and resentment. "Great. Really fucking great!"

Before Milou could turn and walk away, Wren grabbed his arm and brought him to a halt. "You can't be like this, Milou. You're being unfair."

"I'm being unfair?" The older twin scoffed. "Do you know how long you two have made me look like the biggest fool? Do you know what you've put me through?"

"What we've put you through...?" Saliou interjected. "Give me a break, Milou. We didn't do anything wrong."

"Like you didn't do anything wrong when you decided to keep me in the dark for years?!" asked Milou through bitter tears. "How could you betray me like this? You know I love Wren, for God's sake!"

"This is exactly what your brother's afraid of," Wren cut in. "Don't displace your anger on him, Milou. Go ahead and be angry with me."

Sniffling, Milou wiped his nose with the back of his hand. "How could I...? All this time, you know I love you. But you've just been playing with my feelings!"

"I did not," Wren opposed. "I made it as obvious to you as possible." He made a dramatic pause, before continuing, "You know I love you, Milou. I really do. But that love is different from the one I feel for Saliou. I love you as a friend, a brother. But to me Saliou is something more than that."

Milou kept crying, hiccupping as he tried to catch his breath. "I guess... I guess I knew all this time." He looked up at the other with a pained expression, a torrent of tears flowing from his bloodshot eyes. "I just... refused to see it. I wanted you... all to myself."

Wren approached Milou and placed his hands on his shoulders. "I'm sorry, Milou, I can't return your feelings. Someday, you'll understand. So please... can't you just be happy for us?"

"Wren Dumont, you're asking too much of me. I can't do that right now," Milou responded with utter bitterness. Then he said, voice gentle, almost pleading: "Why can't you love me the same way you love Saliou? Why can't you just love the both of us?" He was bawling uncontrollably. Wren reached out a hand to comfort him but he quickly pulled away.

Saliou tagged after his brother as he turned to walk away. "Milou, wait!" He caught up with him in the middle of the stone pathway, catching hold of his arm. "Please," he said breathlessly, "don't leave like this. Tell me what to do. Tell me how to make things better. Let's fix this." His eyes were pleading, begging even.

Milou's lips twisted in bitter resignation. Slowly he turned to his brother and said, "Sometimes I wish you don't exist."

Saliou did not expect his own brother to cause him pain as deep as this. With just a few words, his heart was shattered. "Stop it. You're breaking my heart," he said, voice trembling. He refused to let go of Milou's hand. "You're just saying that because you're angry."

"Yes, I am!" Milou yelled as he yanked his hand away. "I could care less if you're heartbroken! That makes the two of us!"

Silence fell between them, broken only by stifled sobs.

Finally Milou said, "But I guess we have no choice. I'm stuck with you, and you're stuck with me. We'll just have to live through it." He then raised the wine bottle to his lips, took a final big swig, then pushed it over to Saliou. "Well, what else can I say? You won this time. Congratulations."

Once again, he turned to walk away.

"No..." Saliou fell to his knees and began to sob. He was so devastated, he could hardly think or breathe.

Wren walked towards him, watched him with a saddened expression. The sight of Saliou on his knees as Milou walked away tore his heart. He'd seen the other cry before, but it was nothing compared to the agony he was feeling now.

 

━━━━━━━━┛ ✠ ┗━━━━━━━━

After some time, the brothers had a long heart-to-heart conversation. After all, they are, above everything else, still brothers. Bloodline isn't just the tie that binds them. They are each other's accomplice and co-conspirator. They are a single soul, split in two, born to be each other's rock and shadow.

But things were never quite the same for the twins after that night. Neither was the relationship between Wren and Milou. They settled to let time heal the wounds, but Milou remained cold towards Wren for many months. He would give Saliou hell whenever he brought Wren around. But the younger twin had made it clear to the other that they owed him no explanation about their relationship.

Soon enough however, Milou had come to accept in his heart that Wren had never really been his to begin with. Still, he held on, hoping that the young Alpha would change his mind. Though in truth, he knew Saliou had completely won his heart after all...

Up to that point, Milou had always been cordial yet distant with Saliou and Wren. He would still be jealous, but these days he had better control of it. Now, more than ever, he was determined to maintain his relationship with them for the sake of a peaceful coexistence.

For a time, things were indeed quite peaceful for everyone. Perhaps the worst had already come to pass.

Then again, fate has a strange way of playing tricks on people. And unfortunately for Wren and the twins, the worst was yet to come...

 

━━━━━━━━┓ ✠ ┏━━━━━━━━

2025.

It's been two years since the Matisse twins moved out of their home and into a rented apartment, where they had their first taste of freedom after two decades of living under their parents' watchful eyes.

For the most part, both Milou and Saliou enjoyed the renewed sense of privacy and functioned with a fair degree of independence.

Independence, in a sense that both twins found decent jobs that allowed them to cover their living expenses, save for the monthly rent, which their parents insisted on paying.

Just a year ago, as Saliou approached the completion of graduate school, he quickly began looking for a direction. A former instructor who took such a liking to him, had referred him a good job at a well-renowned accounting firm shortly after he graduated. It was a pretty good job and for a time it satisfied him, but he wanted something more fulfilling. Something more meaningful.

He began praying for better opportunities and pursuits that gravitated toward his true passion: Art. Half a year later, he received an answer to that prayer, in the form of a job opening at a local modern art museum.

Of course, he wasn't planning to put those four grueling years of studying at a business school, to a complete waste. He accepted a position as staff accountant at the museum, and while it's not exactly the best position to make significant connections to the art side of things, he was now one step closer to achieving his dream.

Meanwhile, despite the State's stringent measures towards employing recessive Omegas, Milou was able to keep a stable 8-hour job as an accounting manager, at a local vegan shop. Unlike most establishments, the job did not require him to report to work on a daily basis. So when Milou's heat comes on, he would be allowed to work remotely.

Despite the few dents in their relationship, Milou and Saliou had a relatively peaceful cohabitation. They not only minded each other's business but also took active responsibility for each other. For a time, it was a pretty convenient arrangement.

Except for when Wren comes into the picture.

Over the years, Milou and Wren had grown apart. Wren would make every effort to try and reach out to the other, but Milou would always push him away. Eventually, the young Dumont learned to not cross paths with him.

But without Wren, Milou wasn't complete.  There was still that big, gaping hole in his heart that could only be filled by him and him alone.

He was still in love with Wren. He could try to push away those feelings for all eternity, and they would still be there, nestled deep in his heart like a vise.

But his love for Wren was not a gift he would be willing to accept – it was a burden. And so he was willing to hold in those feelings for as long as he could. For Wren's sake and for his brother's sake. He struggled to be content to take them with him as a silent, secret part of him.

Then again, he might not have to...

 

━━━━━━━━┛ ✠ ┗━━━━━━━━

Wren and Saliou were going to celebrate their eighth anniversary together. A week prior, Wren had carefully planned out an out-of-town day trip with Saliou to celebrate their anniversary. But three days before their planned trip, an emergency task cropped up for Saliou at work. He was suddenly called to fill in for a colleague who was to attend a symposium but called in sick at the last minute.

No sweat, Saliou thought, but why did it have to fall on the days before our anniversary?

He would have refused down pat but he was promised more vacation leave, on top of a rare opportunity to meet artists and curators. Now that was an offer he could hardly refuse.

When he broke the news to Wren, he could barely hide the disappointment in his face. "It's okay," Wren said morosely. "We can put it off for another week. Maybe on a weekend."

"I'm so sorry, babe," Saliou said with a regretful smile. He wound his arms around the other and rubbed his back gently. "I'll be back in time for our anniversary. We can still celebrate it over dinner."

Wren heaved a deep sigh as he hugged him back. "Promise?"

Saliou nodded. "Promise."

And so, Wren was forced to change his plans entirely. But even that was carefully planned out, too. After all, this was meant to be something more than just an anniversary celebration.

He was planning to propose to Saliou.

 

━━━━━━━━┓ ✠ ┏━━━━━━━━

August 25.

It was a particularly hot and humid day. Wren had on his usual business attire. Well-tailored Italian suit, crisp white shirt, red tie. His new job at an advertising agency required him to wear a suit. He hated it, but the job required it of him when he was dealing with clients.

On that scorching hot day, it was a complete torture to wear that thing. He should have headed home first and changed into a more comfortable attire.

Wren pulled into the driveway in front of the apartment where the twins live, and parked his car in the usual spot. For a moment, he stayed inside the car and gave himself a once over in the rear-view mirror. And then, he reached into his pocket and pulled out a velvet ring box, weighing it in his hand as though contemplating whether today is the perfect moment.

He purchased the engagement ring for Saliou. He used up all the money he earned from working part-time last year during the holidays. Saliou hated buying and wearing overly extravagant things, so Wren made sure to choose a simple ring with a vintage flair. Minimalist. White gold. With a marquise diamond on its bezel setting.

Wren opened the box to look at the ring, then smiled with great satisfaction. It won't belong in his pocket anymore. Soon it would belong on Saliou's finger.

In three hours, Saliou will be back from his business trip. They had agreed to meet at the apartment before heading out on their dinner date.

He closed the ring box and slipped it back into his pocket. And then, he turned off the ignition and stepped out of his car.

Wren trudged toward the apartment, carrying with him a big bunch of flowers, balloons, and a box of cake. Call them banal but he and Saliou loved to celebrate their special day over cakes, balloons, and a good bottle of champagne.

Besides the sweltering heat, everything seemed to go according to plan. But as he walked around the parking lot, he came to an abrupt stop. He stood for a moment, eyes fixed on a red Toyota Venza parked right at the end of the lot.

There was no mistaking it. It was Milou's car.

Wren's forehead crinkled in confusion. Huh? He's supposed to be at work right now, isn't he? Did I get his work shift wrong?

Ever since the twins moved into the apartment, Wren made sure to stay out of Milou's line of sight as much as possible. And so, he would often schedule his visits when the older twin is at work or out on a trip. This time, however, he may have mixed up the schedule.

He hurriedly walked towards the front porch, dropped everything he'd been carrying on the doorway, then fished his phone out of his pocket. He scrolled through his messages to look for Milou's work schedule, which Saliou had sent to him a week before. After several seconds, he found it, read it again more carefully.

Wren cursed under his breath. He was indeed supposed to be at work.

Two scenarios played in his mind. Either Milou had forgotten something at the apartment and had come running back to get it, or he has a new work shift. 

Wren grumbled to himself. He'd already carefully planned this day and knew exactly how it should go. He already made reservations at the fanciest restaurant in Glapshire and even booked a hotel room. He only had to wait for Saliou at the apartment and drive them to the restaurant. And then, during dinner when the mood is right, he would pop the question. He can already picture Saliou's face – he'd be so elated he'll cry happy tears.

And then after dinner, he'd spend the night at the hotel and make love to his future husband. That's how things are supposed to be.

Wren looked at his watch and sighed deeply. "'Guess I have no choice." He shrugged as he reached into his pocket and retrieved the spare apartment key Saliou had given him some months ago. He pushed the door open, slipped the key back in his pocket, and picked up the flowers, balloons, and cake.

He moved quietly across the living room and headed into the dining room adjacent to a mini kitchen.  Carefully he placed the cake on the wooden dining table. He opened the box, admiring the cake decorations and the beautifully written "Happy 8th Anniversary, Wren & Sal" icing on top of it.

With a finger, he scraped the icing stuck to the side of the box and licked it off. And then, he went over to the sink to wash his hands.

For a moment, Wren stared blankly out the window, wondering where Milou could be. The whole place was oddly quiet...

He's probably in his bedroom. Should I just wait for him to come out or should I knock and let him know I'm here? he argued with himself. He decided to go for the latter.

After drying his hands, Wren slowly walked down the hallway toward Milou's bedroom.

But before he could even take one more step along the hall, all the muscles in his body suddenly tensed up with a wave of awareness.

It was then when he smelled a particularly strong scent flume wafting through the air, beckoning him, urging him forward.

The aroma of an Omega in heat hit him solid, instantly setting off all the warning bells in his head.

 

━━━━━━━━┛ ✠ ┗━━━━━━━━

The smell of sweet pheromones enveloped Wren Dumont's body. Someone in the apartment was in heat and their scent was deliciously and overwhelmingly enticing. He could sense a waft of innocence in it, too.

And it sure as hell wasn't Saliou's.

It was more potent and more irresistible, even compared to his lover's pheromones. It smelled terribly sweet. Something like honey, mixed with lavender and cinnamon. It registered way off his Richter scale, affecting him like no other.

Carnal desire told Wren to find out who was giving off such a powerful heat. Following the honeyed scent, his nose twitched, and he felt something strange throbbing down his nether region. Each step he took sent a tremor of pain. But it was a 'painful pleasure', if he had to give it a word.

Slowly he drew closer toward the bedroom, seeking the source, sniffing the air until his nose twitched again. He leaned his head against the door with one hand on the knob.

Fuck. This can't be. Run away, Wren Dumont. Run as far away as you can!

He inhaled deeply. The scent was dizzying, nearly impossible to resist. The pheromones rode the air currents and it was fast subduing his will, making him want to do things he didn't want to do.

Before he knew it, his hand had already turned the knob and pushed the door wide open. The scent came even stronger, blasting him full as he found himself drawing closer to the source.

Holding his breath didn't help at all. Neither does clenching his fists and biting the inside of his cheek. He could feel his face flush, his body burning up with a strange, feral desire he had not felt before.

And the closer he got to the source, the more it brought him to the edge of mindless aggression.

Wren wanted to stop. He wanted to turn around and walk away. But his feet had a mind of their own, dragging his torso on as if some frightening force was pushing him from behind.

This must be it. An Alpha's rut.

And the one that had triggered it now lay before Wren, writhing in bed, panting and moaning in torturous lust.

Wren gritted his teeth, forcing the other's name out in a low hiss.

"Milou..."

 

━━━━━━━━┛ ✠ ┗━━━━━━━━

Milou laid there panting in bed, naked from the waist down. He laid on his stomach with his bare buttocks up to greet Wren's face. From where the Alpha stood, he could see that his thighs and his back end were completely drenched with his own slick. The lascivious sight before him inflamed Wren's lust even more.

This wasn't like any heat he had ever smelled before. Saliou's wasn't such a big deal. As far as Wren knew, he was always on the pill, even before the onset of his estrus cycle. He'd always been careful around Wren.

An Omega's heat was just supposed to give him a nice buzz. It shouldn't cause him to become some rabid beast.

This though. Milou was practically reeking of it. So besides the erratic estrus cycles, are recessive Omegas supposed to be emitting such powerful pheromones that could drive someone mad?

"Wren... Wren, is that... is that you?" Milou's voice was hoarse and feverish. He turned his head to Wren, who was now just a few steps away from him. His face was flushed with lust and desire – his deep-set eyes bloodshot from crying.

Wren's hearing became muffled and his vision blurred. He dropped to his knees as he raised his hands to cover his face. "Milou... You're in heat. W-Where's your medicine? The suppressants... where are they, Milou?"

The Omega slowly rolled onto his back, revealing his erect member, damp with his own essence mixed with slick. "Saliou... was supposed to pick it up today... from Mom," whimpered Milou. "I wasn't expecting... I didn't think it would come so soon. Wren, help me...! I can't take it anymore...!" Milou's body shuddered with equal parts of fear and yearning. His hips jerked backward of their own accord, as if pushing up to present his soft and wet opening to the Alpha scenting him.

A torrent of heat rose up in Wren's deepest core, spreading through his body like hot lava. His insides clenched as he fought his way closer toward Milou. He could practically taste his pheromones in the air. And perhaps he also had the same effect on the Omega.

This time, Milou's moans were longer, needier. It was as if he was ready to mate.

Sanity was slowly slipping away from Wren's mind. "W-We need to call your doctor. Give me their number, Milou... We need to call them right now." But he was already sitting on the edge of the bed as he said it. A mere few inches separated him from an Omega in heat – one who seemed completely unaware of the effect he's having on the other.

Milou was shaking at this point, arm stretched out to Wren, beckoning him to come closer. His Omega instincts relished in the Alpha's attention, making him release more of his pheromones.

"There's no time," Milou cried out as he once again flipped onto his knees and, ass high, pleaded for the Alpha to fill him. "Mate with me," he demanded. He ached for Wren. He craved him. And if they don't do it, he would shatter. The need was so much stronger than his conscience now. He wanted the Alpha's cock inside him, he wanted his teeth on his neck.

This made the panicked voice in Wren's head die to a mere whisper; the urge to claim Milou overriding his frazzled mind. Everything about Milou was calling out to him. As an Alpha, his primal impulse was demanding him to bury himself deep into this helpless Omega and fill him up.

Wren thought he was stronger than this. He hated this lack of control over his own body. He dreaded it worse than the person who's tempting him now.

As it turned out, he was no different from other Alphas. He was quick to give in to his impulses when a tempting opportunity presented itself to him.

How does this even make Alphas the strongest kind of all?

Wren was mad with desire. All he wanted was to take Milou quickly and as thoroughly as possible.

Milou couldn't help it, either. This was the first time he came across an Alpha in rut. And it was Wren Dumont, of all people. He didn't know whether to be happy or remorseful.

The Alpha's scent was so powerful, it's driving him insane. He smelled strongly of pine and sandalwood, and a sort of male musk that told him Wren was just as desperate to mate.

"Fuck me, Wren," he said pleadingly. "Let me be yours. All yours."

"Yes." Wren couldn't think of anything else to say. Just yes. Yes to this. Yes to the unbonded Omega who was dying to be claimed.

Finally, the unquenchable lust had completely conquered his lingering sanity.

Wren growled as he moved on top of Milou in one fluid motion. He hurriedly unbuckled his belt, unzipped his pants, and pushed them down below his knees. He gave Milou all the room he needed to reach down and yank off his boxers. And then, Milou pushed his hands between his legs and reached for his cock.

He was hard as steel. Pulsating with need. Massive. But Milou's fear of the Alpha's brutal size was lost to the haze of his own hormonal bliss. Still gripping tightly, he guided Wren to where he needed him the most.

But Wren wasn't ready to enter him just yet.

A warm and slender finger went over Milou's back while Wren's shaft stayed between his wet cheeks. There was no sort of verbal communication, just that hungry, sugary scent of their arousal wafting through the air.

Milou figured that it was the smell of an Alpha's readiness. It was Wren's aroma, perfectly mixed with his own.

But just when Milou thought he was ready for the onslaught, Wren spread his legs further apart and licked his opening; soft, pinkish and all soaked up with slick, empty and hungry for the Alpha.

Milou's hands gripped the sheets as a loud moan escaped his lips. He nearly passed out. It felt so good. He ground his ass as Wren's tongue lapped at his entrance. He keened pitifully and rolled his hips the small bit of his restraints allowed.

He wanted Wren inside him. He didn't care whether or not the other had noticed how his breath and touch were bringing him closer to the edge. But before he could come, Wren's tongue glided against his wet entrance. He knelt and towered over Milou as his powerful hands grabbed a hold of his perfectly round and firm ass.

"My Alpha," Milou moaned, wanting with everything he was that Wren would mount him and finally end his agony.

Before he could even utter another word, Wren whipped the necktie around his collar and tied it around Milou's eyes, tying it as tightly as he could.

The Omega gasped in surprise, tilting his head to the side. "W-Wren...?"

He felt a strange thrill as his world was suddenly enveloped in darkness. It excited him even more.

And then, he felt the warm and thick head of Wren's cock pressing against his opening. With a low growl and a brutal shove, the Alpha breached his entrance, the wet sound as it swallowed Wren drowning out his whimpering.

His slick was thick and heavy now, coating Wren and allowing him to enter with only a fleeting pain. Soon enough it turned into unspeakable pleasure. Milou had to clench his teeth to avoid moaning out even louder. He was seeing stars. The Alpha filled him until he felt like he might split in two.

Wren plunged even further, setting his full length deep inside Milou's moist heat with a slow yet vicious rutting thrust, penetrating him to the very core.

A wisp of sharp and painful bliss jolted through Wren like electric current. He allowed himself a moment to relish in the pleasure of Milou tightly wrapped around him, welcoming every single inch of him as he pushed snugly up against his trembling body.

Sensations, thoughts, and memories flashed through Wren's clouded mind; a small part of him desperate to remember something. Someone. But the crazed, feral beast in him was pushing it all away, until there was nothing else but the warmth of this Omega underneath him, clenching tightly against his shaft where they were connected.

He so easily allowed his instincts to swallow him whole until there was nothing but the mindless Alpha who was desperate for release.

"... so good inside you... Feels so good inside you..."

Hearing those words from Wren's lips made it hard for Milou not to come right that instant. When Wren was finally planted fully, he paused, trailing fiery kisses along the Omega's shoulder, giving them both time to adjust. And then, he buried his face in Milou's neck, his scent surrounding the other.

For Milou, it was intoxicating. For a moment he lay absolutely still, his breathing raspy and shallow.

Milou felt Wren's lips slowly trailing up. He could feel his irregular breathing against his ear, his hot breath scalding his skin.

"Saliou..." the Alpha whispered into his ear, his voice husky and needy. "I love you. I love you so much. Please be mine."

Milou's breath suddenly caught in his throat. The whirlwind of pleasure buffeting inside him had come to a standstill. Wren was whispering something to him, over and over. Sweet words only he could hear. Words he thought were exclusively for him.

Yet who was he fooling? Yes, he was the one being held by Wren. Yes, he was the one being claimed. But despite the pleasurable delirium eating away at him, Wren's heart was still crying out someone else's name.

His words were for Saliou. His love was for Saliou. What a cruel punishment it was!

Milou let out a yelp as Wren suddenly flipped him over, pushed his knees down on his chest, and entered him again. He was pounding him in savage thrusts.

He wanted to see Wren's face. But each time he tried to remove the blindfold, Wren would yank his hand away. Instead, he settled with sliding his arms around the Alpha's neck as he welcomed his rough, relentless thrusts.

While he couldn't see what to expect, the blindfold allowed Milou to focus his attention on the smell, sound, and physical contact, building up his excitement and anticipation.

Yet underneath the blindfold were unseen tears. Tears of pain and regret. Tears of guilt. He was beginning to understand the reason Wren had covered his eyes.

He didn't want to see his own guilt staring right back at him.

 

━━━━━━━━┛ ✠ ┗━━━━━━━━

Wren was calling out Saliou's name, marked in deep guttural moans with each thrust of his hips against Milou's. Their minds have disconnected from the roil of sensation resonating throughout their bodies. They were completely at each other's mercy, drowning out pain and reason until nothing but the mind-blowing ecstasy remained.

Milou cried out each time Wren filled him so ruthlessly all the way to his womb. He barely even gave him any respite. The Alpha's grunts and growls drowned out his frantic sobs and moans, blending in with the constant, wet thwack of his thighs slapping against Milou's ass.

This feral Alpha, possessed by his own carnal desire, took him with every ounce of his strength, fucking him helplessly, faster and harder.

It was beginning to hurt. It hurt so much Milou begged him to stop, but he didn't mean it. Because for each thrust into his core, Wren's length hit every nerve ending inside him, pummeling his sweetest spot, giving him exactly what every inch of his body craved for. The word 'pleasure' wasn't even a strong enough word to describe the torrent of ecstasy forced inside his very being.  

After several minutes of torturous and blissful fucking, Wren once again flipped him over onto his belly and pulled his buttocks up into the air. Once more the Alpha pushed himself into his now-swollen entrance, thrusting hard and deep into his body.

And then, as if warping into a magical moment, Milou felt the pressure against his womb. It was an entirely different sensation compared to Wren's first onslaught.

This must be it. An Omega's instinctive response to breeding. He was beginning to open to the Alpha's claim.

His primordial impulse slammed into him – that need to be filled with child.

Nudging his hips, Milou reached under him and grabbed Wren's length, urging him deeper. "Give me your seed," he whimpered, tears seeping from his blindfolded eyes. "Please, fill me up."

His words sounded alien to Wren's ears. Surely it was the innate need talking, and not him. He, too, was a slave to his Omega impulses, and it had completely taken over.

Hand under Milou's chin, Wren tilted the other's face to his, his hot breath washing over Milou's ear.

"Saliou... do you want to bear my child?"

"Yes," Milou hissed almost immediately. His voice was deep, ramping up the Alpha's desire.

Wren continued to thrust into Milou, this time slowly. "Let me fill you full," he muttered shakily. "Silly Saliou. My sweet, silly Saliou... Let me put my child inside you."

Milou knew Wren's words were also brought out by his innate nature. An Alpha's need to procreate was the only thing driving him, and Milou couldn't help but wish his words were truly meant for him in that moment.

But he had no right to them. They were his brother's, although that thought was long buried since the moment they unleashed each other's carnal desires.

They were more beasts than men – fully focused on breeding.

Wren's movements quickly drove Milou to the edge of ecstasy. Once again he orgasmed, hot ropes of his own seed spurting from his member, landing on his hand and on the sheets.

After a while, Milou found his voice again and said, hoarsely, "I want your knot. I want it so bad. You need to come inside me."

Milou's back arched against the strong arms that pinned him down on the bed. Another frenzied climax threatened to rip out as his womb opened to accept Wren, his body barely able to withstand his force.

He felt Wren spasm and stiffen behind him with a low grunt. And then, without warning, the knot at the base of his cock thickened and expanded, locking them together. Milou cried out in joy as Wren filled him with pure, wonderful pleasure.

The knotting bond forged. Nature quickly took over, Wren releasing his thick and milky essence into Milou's womb. They were beyond words now, just grunts and moans as Alpha filled the Omega with his precious seed.

If fucking him senseless had been pleasure, knotting and releasing inside him was heaven. Every cell in Milou's body squirmed, every nerve firing impulses. He could hardly control the moans escaping his throat, sounding nothing like any sound he'd produced before.

The Catching seemed to go on forever and in endless waves. Milou had never felt so full. He was owned in a way he had never expected. He came again, his body shuddering as his hands clutched the blanket tightly.

After a while, they fell together, Wren still inside Milou, still coming. They would be locked together in the next hour or so, until the knot faded.

Their scents, now mixed together, still hung in the air. Milou intended to mate with Wren many more times until his heat subsided. Perhaps then he would be allowed to see Wren's eyes as he came. As they joined. And hopefully – no matter how foolish that hope may be – he could also place his mating mark on his neck, claiming him as his for eternity. 

Still locked together, Milou rolled to the side and removed the blindfold to get a look at Wren's face. He was fast asleep. He was completely spent.

Soon enough, the post-mating haze would drift away. Reality will make its way back into their lives.

But everything will be different from that point on.

It was then, as Milou stared intently at Wren's sleeping face, he finally realized.

He was his mate.

Finally, his Alpha had come to him.

 

━━━━━━━━┓ ✠ ┏━━━━━━━━

Saliou came in an hour late for his meeting with Wren. Dropping by his parents' place had taken longer than he expected. But it was a fruitful visit.

The pharmaceutical company where his mother works for, had recently developed a new generation of heat suppressors targeted toward recessive Omegas. It was said to be more potent with less side effects, and can stabilize a recessive's tendency to release significant amounts of pheromones. 

Saliou's mother handed him a plastic zip-lock bag filled with a dozen or so small red-and-blue pills. He placed it securely in his coat pocket, making sure he won't forget to give them to Milou once he arrives home.

The elder Omega hasn't had his heat in over 4 months now, which was not entirely unusual. The longest he'd been without it was a record 6 months. However, his next estrus cycle had been longer, with far worse symptoms that forced him to stay in a specialty hospital for Omegas, for a good seven days. Saliou didn't want to see his brother in such a pitiful state. If only one could share another's pain and suffering, he would be willing to take some of them from Milou without a moment's hesitation.

The sun was going down as he pulled into the driveway of his apartment building. As he eased his car to a stop, he looked up to realize that the apartment was dark.

Odd, Saliou thought, as he turned off the engine and pulled out his phone.

Come to think of it, he hasn't heard from Wren since a couple of hours ago. Milou hasn't been answering his calls, either.

Today was a special day and Saliou is no stranger to surprises. Maybe the two have finally made up and decided to set up a surprise anniversary celebration?

He laughed to himself and shook his head. "No way in hell," he murmured. No point in wishful thinking.

Saliou quickly dismissed the thought as he hurried back to the trunk of his car and took out his travel luggage. And then, he marched across the driveway toward the apartment as he once again dialed Wren's number. Still no answer.

Could Wren be upset with me? I don't think I deserve such a cold treatment. Then again, I'm an hour behind schedule...

Only when Saliou reached the front door, did he notice Wren's silver Benz parked out front. He stopped in his tracks. His heart made a small leap at the sight of it.

He pressed his phone tightly to his chest, palms getting sweaty by the second. He felt a sense of apprehension building up inside him. 

A strange gut feeling was telling Saliou to look around the parking lot. And as he did, his eyes quickly fell on the red sedan parked at the end.

All the color suddenly drained from Saliou's face. That small leap in his heart quickly turned into wild, panicked beating.

Just what is going on here?

And then, a sudden frightening thought struck him.

Saliou couldn't control his hands from shaking. He was filled with dread. Luggage in tow, he hurriedly unlocked the door and burst into the apartment.

 

━━━━━━━━┛ ✠ ┗━━━━━━━━

Saliou couldn't bring himself to call out Wren and Milou's names. It was as if his voice was caught in his throat.

The whole place was dark and quiet. He walked across the living room and made for the hallway to his left, leading to the bedrooms. His steps were silent yet certain. It's as though he knew where to go all along. Perhaps it was curiosity. Or perhaps he wanted to see, once and for all, what had instilled such fear and anxiety inside him.

It happened almost instantaneously. Saliou caught a whiff of Wren, his earthly scent lingering on his nostrils for a while. But then there was someone else's scent, too. Faint, barely lingering, yet undoubtedly sweet.

He had imagined darkness but was surprised to see faint light coming out of the half-opened door leading to Milou's bedroom.

The amalgam of sickly sweet smells hovered in the air, and it seemed to get stronger as Saliou moved closer to his brother's room.

He was standing directly in front of Milou's door now. For a moment he found himself frozen in place, his whole body shaking. He was afraid to take another step. Afraid of what he might see. He had a lot of fears, but he took the next step, anyway.

He instantly wished he hadn't.

The sight that greeted him had him stalling in his feet, frozen like a statue. Milou's stark-naked body stretched out on his bed. He was sleeping laying on his stomach, head turned against Saliou.

Meanwhile, a large lump was on the carpeted floor next to the bed, covered with a gray blanket which appeared to be stained with small streaks of blood. Saliou guessed by the scent that it was Wren.

It doesn't take rocket science to understand what had happened. In fact, it seemed like a clichéd scene from an afternoon soap opera. Saliou used to laugh at its triteness. So typical. So unoriginal.

Yet now, he couldn't bring himself to laugh at the scene that lay before him. It was real. It happened. How he wished it's just some cheap, tasteless soap opera!

"What the fuck is going on here...?"

The breath hissed from Saliou's lungs on a sigh of shock and outrage.

"Milou?!"

Hearing Saliou's loud and angry voice jerked the elder twin awake. He sat up, confused, and disoriented.

And then, his eyes fell on his brother who was standing in the doorway. He was struck with dread at the livid pallor of Saliou's face. He had never seen him look so angry before, and it paralyzed him.

"S-Saliou... L-Listen, we can explain –"

Saliou could hardly contain himself. The dam on his anger burst instantly. "What the fuck did you do this time, Milou?!" He pinned his brother with a dark and murderous look, his voice booming around him like a storm. "You've crossed the line this time! How could you?!"

Milou tried to be as calm as possible. He slowly threw the blanket covering his legs and turned to sit on the edge of the bed to face Saliou.

It was then when Saliou saw the swollen, red area between his brother's legs; copious amounts of slick and semen dripping down his inner thighs.

Saliou looked down in absolute shock. "Milou, you...!" In the blink of an eye, he was directly in front of Milou. He'd moved so fast, the elder twin didn't have time to gasp, let alone retreat.

And then, he pinned Milou to the bed, flipped him over to the side.

Shocked and confused, Milou shrieked. "What are you doing?! Have you gone crazy?! Saliou, let me go!"

Saliou bent Milou's head to the side to expose his neck. And then, his hands stilled. He let out a soft sigh, eyes glistening as tears threatened to fall.

Milou quickly moved away from his brother and covered his neck with a hand. "What? He hasn't marked me, okay? At least not yet!"

He gave Saliou a defying stare, expecting an explosion. Instead, there was deafening silence.

A vein popped out on Saliou's forehead and a muscle worked in his jaw. There was a distinct hardening around his tear-stained eyes when he said, "You've seriously crossed the line this time...!"

"Saliou?"

The twins looked over their shoulder and saw that Wren was awake. A look of absolute shock and panic had spread over his pale face.

Wren crawled towards the bed and eased himself beside Saliou, who lowered his head and avoided his gaze. "Sal... Please, don't misunderstand... You... You need to listen to me first." His hands were trembling as he gripped Saliou's arms. "Milou here, he went into heat and... and he... I was – "

"Stop." Saliou placed a hand on Wren's. "No matter what you say, there's absolutely nothing right about this situation!" The muscles beneath his fingers gripped the other tightly as he tried hard to suppress his emotions.

Wren felt as though the world had vanished around him in an instant. "Saliou, please...! Hear me out!" He lost complete control over himself as he embraced Saliou tightly, crying uncontrollably, venting out his anguish and remorse. "I'm sorry! Please forgive me! I won't lie – I will never lie to you, Sal. I admit I was weak, I was quick to give in to temptation! But – But Milou – he was in heat and – and it was too overwhelming and –" He winced as he looked at the hand where Saliou was gripping him tightly. Bright red blood oozed from the fresh bite wounds on the back of his hand. The pain drove away any remaining drowsiness from his mind.

Saliou's eyes widened in shock at the sight of the violent-looking wounds. "Wren, you're –"

"Can't you see he's hurt?!" Milou interjected as he pushed Saliou aside and limped towards Wren. Grabbing the Alpha's injured hand, he said, "My poor Wren... Come, I'll take care of it. We need to disinfect it right now."

Wren figured it was still the heat talking. Even his rut hasn't completely waned either. He still felt shaken as Milou's lingering scent still gave him that delicate buzz, making his whole body feel warm. But sanity has returned, or rather, it was beginning to return to him.

"Milou, you've got to stop," Wren said almost pleadingly. "You need to take your medicine. You have to go see your doctor. This... This isn't –"

"What are you talking about?" Milou cut him off, ignoring the other's words. "Don't worry about me. Worry about yourself. See? We need to disinfect your wounds."

Wren tried to pull his hand away, but Milou tightened his grip. "Let me go, Milou. I need to talk to Saliou. Please give us a moment. Alone."

His words still hadn't registered with the elder Omega. "Wren, what did I tell you? You should've just marked me... Then you could've prevented this."

"Have you lost your damn mind?!" Saliou screamed at his brother in pure rage. He grabbed Milou's arm and spun him around to face him.

The older twin quickly yanked his arm out of the other's grasp and returned his brother's murderous gaze unflinchingly. "Do you really want to hear it? Fine! You will! Wren claimed me many times! Not just once, not just twice!" He paused to give his brother a mocking laugh. "And it sure as hell wasn't just thrice! 'Want to know something else? Wren is my mate now! The bond was forged and there's nothing you can do about it!"

Milou's words cut through Saliou like a knife. Hot, angry tears welled up in his eyes. His throat felt dry and constricted and he couldn't catch his breath. He felt like he was trapped in a nightmare and he desperately wanted to scream, but nothing came out.

Before he knew it, angry words had turned into violent action.

"You. Fucking. Slut!" Saliou seethed as he lunged toward Milou, hands flying to the other's face, fingers clawed. Milou fell to the floor with a loud thud. "You knew he was coming over! You were planning this all along!"

"Stop it! It hurts! It hurts! Saliou!" Milou started to scream as Saliou's nails dug into his cheeks. He tried to push Saliou away, but he jumped on top of him and locked his legs around his waist. Milou began thrashing around, trying to stop his brother from causing any more damage. "Can you hear yourself right now, you crazy bastard?! Did I plan to go into heat?!" He turned to Wren and cried out for help, which stirred the other to motion.

Wren crawled toward the twins and tried to help pry Saliou off of Milou. "Please stop it, you two!" He yelled out, still crying.

But Saliou was strong and began fighting him, screaming and hitting his chest with his fists. "You traitors! How could you do this to me?! You're killing me! You're fucking killing me!"

Wren went behind Saliou as he put his arms tightly around the other's waist, finally pulling him off of Milou.

The fight went on, but it was now one-sided. Both Wren and Milou just sat there tight-lipped and silent as Saliou continued to hurl insults at them.

Saliou turned back to Milou as he pulled out the zip-lock bag of heat suppressors from his coat pocket. "Why can't you just be fucking normal?!" he cried out as he hurled the bag to Milou, hitting him in the face before it fell to the ground, the pills scattered all over the floor. "Why do you have to be like this, Milou?! I'm sick and tired of dealing with all your shit! I wish you were never part of my life! How can I fucking get you out of my life?!"

Saliou said the most hurtful words that could have been spoken to Milou. He finally released all that pent-up anger and disappointment that had grown inside him for years, poisoned his heart and mind. Those feelings that had grown so great he could no longer contain them, spilled forth and at that point, he didn't care what the other would think and feel.

Wren intervened again. "L-Listen. Sal, you shouldn't – you shouldn't talk to your brother like that. Pretty soon you'll regret you ever said them, and –"

Saliou's nose flared while his eyes darkened. The expression on his face told Wren everything he needed to know.

"Get out," Saliou said sharply.

"Sal, please, don't be like this..." Wren whimpered. "If you could only hear me out –"

"This is my house! Get out!" Saliou screamed, holding out his right arm, pointing wildly toward the door. He turned away from Wren and closed his eyes as tightly as he could.

With his eyes closed, he could imagine this wasn't hurting Wren. Wasn't scaring him. This way, he didn't have to see the pained expression on his face. He could hear him crying, but he could ignore it and just let his own anger drown it out. And it did.

He didn't care if Wren was hurting. He hurt him too, and in the most unforgivable way possible. Whatever pain he was feeling, it was nothing compared to his own.

After a long and intense silence, Saliou heard the rustle of clothing, followed by heavy footsteps moving toward the door. And then he heard the door creak open and then closed.

When he opened his eyes again, Wren was gone.

Milou was still kneeling on the floor, shedding tears, small streaks of blood trickling down his cheeks where Saliou had scratched him.

"You've lost it, Saliou Matisse," he muttered as he lifted his head, wiping away his tears. Slowly he pulled himself up, took his robe from a chair, and with great effort pulled it on to cover his nakedness. "I'm going after Wren and don't you dare stop me."

Saliou grabbed him by the arm and gripped it tightly. "Why did it have to turn out this way, Milou?" He looked at his brother, eyes swollen and bloodshot, lips quivering. He wore the face of a heartbroken man. "What did I do wrong? Why are you punishing me like this? I don't deserve this... I did everything for you, didn't I? For you, I would always have to settle for less!" He paused, struggling to compose himself but failing completely. "But this... this is too much, Milou...! You can go ahead and take everything away from me, but..." he choked out, "... but not Wren. God, why does it have to be Wren...?"

Milou slowly slid out of his brother's grasp as he made for the door. "I know I neglected your feelings," he said. "I was taken care of one-sidedly and for that, I'm sorry. I really am." He sniffled as he mopped his tears with the back of his hand. "But did I ever ask you to? You can stop doing that now. Don't make it sound like I owe you."

Saliou couldn't believe his ears and could barely think of what to say next. He exhaled so heavily that a grunting sound escaped his lungs. And then, he let out a low scoff. "... Always so prideful and unapologetic. Sometimes I can't believe we're brothers." He took in a deep breath and exhaled. "You have the gall to say that to me now because you finally got what you've always wanted. And honestly... there's nothing else I can do for you."

"I'm sorry," was all Milou could say to the other as he slowly walked out of the bedroom. And then, glancing back at the other as he walked through the door, he said, "I still love Wren, after all." And then, he closed the door behind him.

Saliou's heart clenched at his brother's words. He stood there for a while, leaning his body heavily against the wall.

He wanted to go after Wren and embrace him and just forget everything that had happened. He wanted to forgive him and beg him to stay. But he restrained himself from doing so.

And then there's Milou. It sickened him to know he had just been betrayed by his own twin brother, not caring about how it would affect them for the rest of their lives.

How can one even betray their own family – someone whom you're supposed to love and care for unconditionally?

Saliou exhaled a long and shuddering breath. And, with a cry of utter heartbreak, he sank to his knees and wept. He allowed himself to release the long-repressed agony in another flood of tears. It was not so much a sorrow for Wren and Milou, but pity for himself. Pity for having been taken advantage of.

But this was the final straw. The breaking point.

He's had enough of seeing Milou walk away from him constantly. Being hurt and disappointed again and again, no matter how much he loved the other, he could no longer push his heart out for him, only to be trampled again.

And Wren... Sweet Wren. He'd promised him the moon, made him believe they could have the perfect life together. But the beautiful relationship they had came crashing down to this, all because of one careless mistake.

Wren Dumont was everything he needed and is now, quite possibly, one thing he could never allow himself again. 

That night, Saliou Matisse's world came crashing down on him. His heart broke in two, along with his soul.

And for all of them, the future was bleak. The only thing that was certain was that life will never be the same again.

 

━━━━━━━━┓ ✠ ┏━━━━━━━━

 

TO BE CONTINUED IN PART 2.

 

 

I update this story in smaller parts, on Wattpad, every other day. It's now at Part 3 (final part) on said platform!

Also, if you want to collaborate and/or have any beautiful omegaverse/mpreg stories in mind, feel free to send me a DM. Let's talk and let's breathe life into those ideas!

0