480 A Tightly Closed Gate
14 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Mei Chao Bing felt about as confused as Zhang Guan Yu looked while describing it. “A person but more than a person?”

If it was the common people saying this, it could be explained easily as being a cultivator: somebody who was a person just like them at first glance but who had abilities far past their own. But this was knowledge that came from cultivators back in the day. Just what kind of being could be described as ‘a person but more than a person’ by them? Somehow, he loathed to even think about it.

He shuddered, feeling like his heart had just been grabbed by an icy fist. “Then, if the sects are a gate … what exactly does that mean?”

Zhang Guan Yu pursed his lips and glanced at the other disciples around them. Finally, he pulled Mei Chao Bing’s arm and went to a different room, putting down an array that would keep the sound inside. “You’re thinking of the wrong thing if you imagine a gate. That gate isn’t open, it’s closed.”

Mei Chao Bing tilted his head but then, his expression slowly changed. “The Sect Master’s meaning is that the four sects were built this way to … guard against this person? Or to … make sure they couldn’t come through?” From wherever that kind of ‘person’ could come from.

“Mn.” Zhang Guan Yu nodded. “That’s pretty much it. Rumor has it that this person was imprisoned somewhere on our continent through the combined efforts of all cultivators. I don’t know where that place is or if anyone else is aware. Honestly, it might be better if nobody knows because that way, nobody can get any ideas. Either way, the sects are part of an array, used to trap that person at that secret place.

“This is also why we can’t allow for the sects to fall.” He looked at Mei Chao Bing pointedly. “I will tell you this since we’re already on the topic but this array requires a huge amount of spiritual energy. The sects were built in places where that amount of energy can be generated but it requires active use. Without cultivators here, I’m afraid the sects won’t be able to generate enough energy to keep the array or … the seal if you so want, active.”

Mei Chao Bing furrowed his brows. “Are the demonic sects aware?”

“I’d suppose so. In fact, I believe that at the beginning of this war, this was precisely the explanation the four great righteous sects gave as to why they needed to occupy this space but the demonic sects wouldn’t listen. Their argument seemed to be that it didn’t matter which sects used the place as long as it was used.”

Mei Chao Bing furrowed his brows. “Then is that true?”

Zhang Guan Yu shrugged his shoulders. “Your guess is as good as mine. I’d think that the founders of our sects would have tried to ensure the gates being as strong as possible which might mean that they interact with each other in a way that other sects couldn’t. But that is only something I believe to be possible, not something I could vouch for.”

Mei Chao Bing lowered his gaze. It sounded plausible but there was indeed no way to know the full truth. Either way, he wasn’t sure if this actually had anything to do with what he had been looking for. Ah, it really was vexing!

He shook his head, once again not sure where to go from here. No matter which direction he considered, it seemed that they all led to a dead-end.

Zhang Guan Yu watched him and then sighed. “Why were you asking in the first place?”

Mei Chao Bing hesitated for a moment but finally figured that it couldn’t hurt to talk it over with somebody. “I’m not sure if I can explain it well but the other side seems to be copying the abilities of the guardians. Yan Hong Min suggested that it might be by utilizing their blood although we don’t know for sure. In any case, a sect’s cultivation technique can apparently heighten the development of an ability one was born with or work actively against it. I had been hoping that there might be some kind of explanation to be found through the one who created our sect. After all, maybe she also had an ability. It seemed to make sense.” Now, he wasn’t sure of that any longer.

Zhang Guan Yu pursed his lips. “The founder of the sect having an ability? I guess it wouldn’t be impossible. Not much has been left over from that time so it’s hard to say now but I could imagine this to be true.”

Mei Chao Bing gave a hum. “Without knowing anything definitive, it won’t help us though.”

The Sect Master nodded and then glanced in the direction of the door. “I guess there isn’t much else we can do in preparation here so the final battle isn’t far off. Without knowing anything, it will be tough.”

“Yes, which is why I had hoped to find out more before I leave. But as you said: It’s impossible with that little time.”

Zhang Guan Yu shook his head. “Not necessarily. Anyway, you know a little more now, don’t you? In fact, if you are interested in this, you should probably ask the people of the Li Ren Sect. They have always been interested in formations so if anyone has retained information about the formation using the four great righteous sects, it would be them.”

Mei Chao Bing nodded. “I will try that when I return to the border region.”

Zhang Guan Yu gave a hum and then motioned to the other room. “Let’s go and get what everyone has been working on. After that, you can be on your way. Anyway, there likely isn’t anything more you can do here at the sect.”

Mei Chao Bing silently followed him, feeling that the Sect Master was right. Here at the sect, he couldn’t accomplish anything for the time being. No, when it came to finding out more, he might once again need the help of the four guardians.

0